• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Sloth the Enduring

Sloth gets some miles in

Recommended Posts

On 7/15/2019 at 1:50 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I waited by the elk crossing sign for a bit, but no one showed up.

Have you ever seen an animal actually crossing at the appropriate sign? Just curious.

 

The eyepatch is cool (and goes well with your pirate yoga). The double vision and bumping into trees, not so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2019 at 1:50 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

My choice seems to be crash into trees or bounce off of rocks.   

Not great choices, but better than not riding at all I suppose

 

Eye patch looks cool, though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2019 at 8:20 PM, DJtrippyT said:

All hail sexy pirate Sloth!

 

Yarrr!*

*Sorry, couldn't hold it.

 

Also, the refresher didn't hurt too bad. Living in Minnesota looks not too bad if you don't mind the food.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

All hail sexy pirate Sloth!

 

your hair’s gone more gray since I saw you IRL. I wish mine would do that

 

tumblr_inline_mnuwr3TsXh1r79k32.gif

 

 

Funny you should say that but I told TH you were at a Trampled by Turtles gig and he knew exactly where you were (he loves them). That guy looks suspiciously like TH, minus the pennyfarthing but that's only because he knows I'd dump his hipster ass if he got one. 

 

Oh cool.  I thought they were more of a regional band. We were in their hometown.

 

There’s a company making modern penny farthings; I see one or two occasionally.  

 

Aww... I hope her brain adapts quickly and she'll soon start to enjoy having sight. :love_heart:

 

I dont think it will, but she has regained her ability to get around by smell and memory.  She can, however, see the eye drops coming and that’s made things a bit more difficult.  

 

We went out today to a very nice, rich elder woman who wants to adopt her.  I think she’ll be in her McMansion on Friday.  

 

Have you ever seen an animal actually crossing at the appropriate sign? Just curious.

 

The eyepatch is cool (and goes well with your pirate yoga). The double vision and bumping into trees, not so much.

 

No.  But it was grazing time and I had to take the shot, I’ve never seen an elk in the wild before.  

 

Haha thanks. 

 

Not great choices, but better than not riding at all I suppose

 

Eye patch looks cool, though

 

There’s a third choice which is the worst one. 

 

 

Yarrr!*

*Sorry, couldn't hold it.

 

Also, the refresher didn't hurt too bad. Living in Minnesota looks not too bad if you don't mind the food.

 

Someone had to say it. 

 

Sadly, Minnesota’s become generic like everywhere else, although we still like hot dish.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think I mentioned it, but the slothlings are at a sleep-away camp.   We dropped them off on Sunday.  It’s been pretty nice to not have any responsibilities.  Mrs. Sloth and I have been on a couple of date nights, but otherwise have mostly laid around the house.

 

Monday and Tuesday were remarkably similar.  I was lazy all day, planning on an after work ride with a friend.  After the app saying it was going to be clear all day, the rain came down just as I was scheduled to leave.  I think we got another 3” / 8cm in the last couple of days.  It’s been a crazy summer.  

 

Yesterday we went out to dinner at a good and cheap Latin American place and then met friends for music at what was once a dive bar, but seems to have become semi-respectable.  Tonight was dinner and a movie at the cheap theater - Booksmart, I’d rate it “I don’t think I was the target market”.

 

Tonight I went mountain biking.  I wondered if I’d be faster after a couple of days off,  it I wasn’t.  I’ve definitely come to the conclusion that I can no longer ride myself into shape and need the KBs and yoga.  

 

I got 15ish miles in.  After the first lap I was sitting by the trailhead having some water when a woman asked me some questions about the trail. It was supposed to be her second mountain bike ride ever, but her group ghosted her.  I offered to show her around the easy trail.   By the time I got my bike and helmet she seemed to have some misgivings about going in to the woods alone with a strange man she just met and was frantically texting someone.  I thought about offering to let her take my name and picture to text her friend, but I didn’t know if that would make me more or less creepy so I just waited.  She was slow, but solid and very chatty.  

 

I tried riding with my glasses.  They have a prism so I don’t get double vision.  However, they’re really heavy and they slide off my face, get opaque with sweat, and I crashed on the rocks (very slight) because the bifocals keep me from seeing what’s right in front of my front wheel.   Worst of all they make me look dorky(er).  Unless I can get used to the eyepatch they’re going to have to work.  

 

 8d54e440da04df144517d59f482c0041.jpg

Tonight’s look.

 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dorky is not so bad. Probably made you look friendlier to that woman than the eyepatch ;) 

Maybe you can get a set of sports glasses made? They basically wrap around the head, so they can't slide so much..I had them when I played soccer. With kettlebells I don't mind being blind so much as it's really hard to crash into anything. 

 

Lazy days sound good and very welcome- hope you enjoy some more of them. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jean said:

Also, that shirt is awesome!

 

I agree!

 

10 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Maybe you can get a set of sports glasses made? They basically wrap around the head, so they can't slide so much.

 

That would work...or the cheaper option of getting a strap that slides onto the stems and that you can tighten in the back ("Croakies").

 

17 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Worst of all they make me look dorky(er).

 

I don't think so. But then again, I'm not a hipster cyclist :-)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2019 at 4:23 PM, KB Girl said:

Maybe you can get a set of sports glasses made? They basically wrap around the head, so they can't slide so much.

Yes, this! My mom in law had sports prescription glasses made here, so it should definitely be possible up there?

You don't look dorky to me, but then I'm used to looking at people wearing glasses all the time.

I like your bright shirt :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2019 at 1:51 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Sadly, Minnesota’s become generic like everywhere else, although we still like hot dish.

There are a few other things. Mini donuts, tater tots, cheese curds, wild rice. You should have seen my mom's (Michigander) reaction when I made tater tot hot dish around last Thanksgiving and compared it to green bean casserole.

 

Glasses look great. The frame seems to be the most common style I see people in these days.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2019 at 10:34 PM, delalana said:

Mini donuts, tater tots, cheese curds, wild rice.

Mini donuts are just a mn thing? But they are so rare...I only know one place that has it more than just a weekend or two...

 

And for wild rice you do have to seek out the righy people for the real stuff... Most stuff in stores I'm told is sad ripoff...

 

 

Following! May the yoga and kettle balls commence in the last week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, LovelyBouncer said:

Mini donuts are just a mn thing? But they are so rare...I only know one place that has it more than just a weekend or two...

 

And for wild rice you do have to seek out the righy people for the real stuff... Most stuff in stores I'm told is sad ripoff...

 

 

Following! May the yoga and kettle balls commence in the last week. 

I never saw them living in Detroit or Chicago, at least. Around here they're mostly at festivals and sporting events. I may have gone a little overboard the first year or two I lived in Minnesota :P

 

 

Definitely agree with the wild rice comment. I usually get mine in 3lb bags at gas stations on fall trips up north and then they last a good long while.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, delalana said:

I never saw them living in Detroit or Chicago, at least. Around here they're mostly at festivals and sporting events. I may have gone a little overboard the first year or two I lived in Minnesota :P

 

 

Definitely agree with the wild rice comment. I usually get mine in 3lb bags at gas stations on fall trips up north and then they last a good long while.

Aww, yeah I work by a place that serves mini donuts them all summer. If it wasn't for my wallet and the knowing how unclean behind the scenes is I would be eating a ton of them rare donuts (note to nonbelievers: they are a lot like the McDonald donut fries that were around last Spring)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2019 at 9:23 AM, KB Girl said:

Dorky is not so bad. Probably made you look friendlier to that woman than the eyepatch ;) 

Maybe you can get a set of sports glasses made? They basically wrap around the head, so they can't slide so much..I had them when I played soccer. With kettlebells I don't mind being blind so much as it's really hard to crash into anything. 

 

Lazy days sound good and very welcome- hope you enjoy some more of them. 

 

Haha.  I’m an old guy that looks “safe”.  My prescription calls for a really thick lens, I think it precludes sports glasses.  

 

Thanks.  

 

On 7/18/2019 at 10:50 AM, Jean said:

Any chance with contact lenses?

 

Also, that shirt is awesome!

 

 

Thanks.  Contacts are my preferred option, but I have double vision, which normally isn’t a big deal except when I’m weaving in between trees.   

 

On 7/18/2019 at 7:33 PM, Xena said:

 

I agree!

 

 

That would work...or the cheaper option of getting a strap that slides onto the stems and that you can tighten in the back ("Croakies").

 

 

I don't think so. But then again, I'm not a hipster cyclist :-)

 

Croakies are what I’ll likely be doing.  My glasses are heavy enough that they still slide down.

 

On 7/19/2019 at 12:43 PM, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

Yes, this! My mom in law had sports prescription glasses made here, so it should definitely be possible up there?

You don't look dorky to me, but then I'm used to looking at people wearing glasses all the time.

I like your bright shirt :D

 

Thanks.   

 

On 7/19/2019 at 10:34 PM, delalana said:

There are a few other things. Mini donuts, tater tots, cheese curds, wild rice. You should have seen my mom's (Michigander) reaction when I made tater tot hot dish around last Thanksgiving and compared it to green bean casserole.

 

Glasses look great. The frame seems to be the most common style I see people in these days.

 

Tator tots are a local thing?  That’s it, I can never move from Minnesota.  

 

On 7/20/2019 at 11:02 PM, LovelyBouncer said:

Mini donuts are just a mn thing? But they are so rare...I only know one place that has it more than just a weekend or two...

 

And for wild rice you do have to seek out the righy people for the real stuff... Most stuff in stores I'm told is sad ripoff...

 

 

Following! May the yoga and kettle balls commence in the last week. 

 

Kettlebells won’t be happening.  The big race is Saturday and I don’t want to introduce anything new.  I’m going to pack them along on our road trip though. 

 

For store bought rice, White Earth sells some that’s good.  I forget the company name, but it says White Earth on it.   You might need to go to a coop though. 

 

On 7/21/2019 at 9:59 PM, LovelyBouncer said:

Aww, yeah I work by a place that serves mini donuts them all summer. If it wasn't for my wallet and the knowing how unclean behind the scenes is I would be eating a ton of them rare donuts (note to nonbelievers: they are a lot like the McDonald donut fries that were around last Spring)

 

Wait.  What?!?  Why didn’t anyone tell me about donut fries?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since last Thursday.  Let’s see what I can remember...

 

Thursday I did the local training race at a small ski hill.  It sucked.  I mean it was fun and all, but racing is way too hard when you’re out of shape.  This race is good because you’re either climbing or descending too fast to recover.  I have heart rate data (not from this race) that shows my HR pegged at 175 bpm (my anaerobic threshold) for the entire race.  I was sucking air like a Hoover.  About two and half miles in I threw up and I turned it down.   I think I finished 28 out of 37.  I won a set of handlebar grips.

 

The problem is I have no power and my aerobic systems are trying to compensate.  If I didn’t know my body I’d guess I didn’t have enough endurance instead of I only have endurance.  

 

Mrs. Sloth’s cousin’s family was there.  The son and dad have started mountain biking.  It was nice hanging out with them I guess,  it the mom drank my beer while I was racing.  

 

Friday we we picked up the kids from camp.  We ran some errands (dropping raggedy dog off at her new house) and did some family stuff.  No fitnessing was done. 

 

Saturday and Sunday.  IIRC both days started out rainy and cleared up in the late afternoon when I couldn’t ride.

 

On Saturday we spent a lot of time cleaning to get the dog smell out of everything.  I briefly went to @The Most Loathed ‘s birthday party.  He has huge biceps now.  @Rooks was there too.  After that I went to a book signing event that my sister-in-law flew in for.   

 

Sunday.  I don’t recall what we did.  In the evening I put on my headlights and went for an easy  24 mile spin (junk miles).

 

Monday.  That’s a blank too.  I went on an easy ten mile spin through the woods playing around with cornering.  Afterwards I brought my bike to my buddy’s for some service.  He was going to swap out forks so I’d have suspension this weekend, but the brakes are weird and he didn’t have the right tool.  There’s only one shop in town that does and they’re backed up for a week and a half.  He did replace the bottom bracket and everything is nice and smooth now.  

 

giphy.gif

 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great that you got to see TheMostLoathed and Rooks! I miss them, hope they are doing alright. Sounds like a solid race, even if you struggled a bit. Now go do some kettlebell swings.:smile-new:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Tator tots are a local thing?  That’s it, I can never move from Minnesota.

Um, maybe regional? Cuz Wisconsin has 'em. I can't speak of other places as I'm usually here or Illinois or Iowa. Although, come to think of it, I've never had them in Illinois or Iowa. Never occurred to me to go looking for tater tots. Perhaps a new quest!

 

3 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Wait.  What?!?  Why didn’t anyone tell me about donut fries?

Whew! I'm not the only one that knows nothing of these supposed "donut fries".

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jstanlick said:

Um, maybe regional? Cuz Wisconsin has 'em. I can't speak of other places as I'm usually here or Illinois or Iowa. Although, come to think of it, I've never had them in Illinois or Iowa. Never occurred to me to go looking for tater tots. Perhaps a new quest! 

 

There is a local food truck in Louisville, KY that does pulled pork tat-chos (using tater tots instead of tortilla chips). I guess maybe you could still count this as regional, but I just wanted to let you all know that I get to enjoy that sometimes (and the food coma that also occurs afterwards). Sonic is a restaurant chain that has tots as a side - they are at least on the East Coast. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't believe I have to come all the way over here to tell you you're awesome and those glasses are not dorky. Well, maybe a little, but in the cute way.

 

On 7/21/2019 at 10:59 PM, LovelyBouncer said:

(note to nonbelievers: they are a lot like the McDonald donut fries that were around last Spring)

 

WHAAAAAAAAAT HOW DID I MISS THEM

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Wait.  What?!?  Why didn’t anyone tell me about donut fries?

 

9 hours ago, jstanlick said:

Whew! I'm not the only one that knows nothing of these supposed "donut fries".

 

8 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

WHAAAAAAAAAT HOW DID I MISS THEM

 

Haha, note they were a breakfast only item... A more sugary version of hash browns...  I was personally assaulted with cable commercials and ads when so came to the cities a weekly basis to hang out with my bf (90 mile drive... was usually heavily sleep deprived). 

 

Probably didn't last long due to sugar and hot oil can be a fire issue (found that out through the food people I work alongside with). 

I hope I never hear of them, they meant to be so sugary that you could enjoy your morning coffee black. 

 

 

Glad you did get some riding despite the rain... 

May ask what woods you use? Or area? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I have heart rate data (not from this race) that shows my HR pegged at 175 bpm (my anaerobic threshold) for the entire race.  I was sucking air like a Hoover.  About two and half miles in I threw up and I turned it down.

Oh boy, I feel for you :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tater tots and mini donuts are here too.    I thought these were just ... things.

Gosh, the midwest really is the best!

 

As for the HR data and air sucking... allergens to blame?  Back when I was running; both heart rate and air suckage dropped significantly running on an indoor track as opposed to outdoors.  Pace also increased.    Right now our pollen warnings are out, and I am gasping like crazy out there.

 

btw!    I "Drew" a dog... offering his paw.   What you got!? Huh!  Bring it!  ;)

 

67808995_10219249032446974_4064099317642

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2019 at 11:56 AM, Elastigirl said:

Great that you got to see TheMostLoathed and Rooks! I miss them, hope they are doing alright. Sounds like a solid race, even if you struggled a bit. Now go do some kettlebell swings.:smile-new:

 

 

Yeah, they seem to be doing well.  Hopefully they’ll come back here one day.  

 

On 7/23/2019 at 2:25 PM, jstanlick said:

Um, maybe regional? Cuz Wisconsin has 'em. I can't speak of other places as I'm usually here or Illinois or Iowa. Although, come to think of it, I've never had them in Illinois or Iowa. Never occurred to me to go looking for tater tots. Perhaps a new quest!

 

 

 

Honestly, once you leave the Chicago/Milwaukee zone of influence Wisconsin is basically Minnesota.  

 

On 7/23/2019 at 2:37 PM, Sylvaa said:

 

There is a local food truck in Louisville, KY that does pulled pork tat-chos (using tater tots instead of tortilla chips). I guess maybe you could still count this as regional, but I just wanted to let you all know that I get to enjoy that sometimes (and the food coma that also occurs afterwards). Sonic is a restaurant chain that has tots as a side - they are at least on the East Coast. 

 

Porktatchos are my new favorite food.  

 

On 7/23/2019 at 3:14 PM, DJtrippyT said:

I can't believe I have to come all the way over here to tell you you're awesome and those glasses are not dorky. Well, maybe a little, but in the cute way.

 

 

Awww, shucks.  

 

23 hours ago, LovelyBouncer said:

 

 

 

Haha, note they were a breakfast only item... A more sugary version of hash browns...  I was personally assaulted with cable commercials and ads when so came to the cities a weekly basis to hang out with my bf (90 mile drive... was usually heavily sleep deprived). 

 

Probably didn't last long due to sugar and hot oil can be a fire issue (found that out through the food people I work alongside with). 

I hope I never hear of them, they meant to be so sugary that you could enjoy your morning coffee black. 

 

 

Glad you did get some riding despite the rain... 

May ask what woods you use? Or area? 

 

 

 

Huh.  Maybe they’ll come back with the McRib.  

 

Almost all of my riding is in the Twin Cities metro in regional parks.  In order of frequency, Lebanon Hills , Murphy HanrehanElm Creek

Theodore Wirth, Hillside (city park). There are a few others nearby, but I usually hit those only about once a year.  I sometimes travel to Wisconsin - I prefer the way they build their trails (rugged and natural), Chequamegon  (Cable / Hayward area), Nine Mile Forest (this is where I’ll be racing Saturday), and Levis Trow Mounds.

 

21 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Oh boy, I feel for you :D

 

 

Ha.  Kettlebell sport would be great winter training for the riding I do, but I’d need a live coach to get the motion and breathing down. 

 

10 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Tater tots and mini donuts are here too.    I thought these were just ... things.

Gosh, the midwest really is the best!

 

As for the HR data and air sucking... allergens to blame?  Back when I was running; both heart rate and air suckage dropped significantly running on an indoor track as opposed to outdoors.  Pace also increased.    Right now our pollen warnings are out, and I am gasping like crazy out there.

 

btw!    I "Drew" a dog... offering his paw.   What you got!? Huh!  Bring it!  ;)

 

67808995_10219249032446974_4064099317642

 

Yes it is, if it only it weren’t for the winters.  

 

No, I do have allergies, but they’re done for the year by the Fourth of July.  It’s really just my system trying to process oxygen without having an anaerobic reserve to go into.  Wahoo seems to have dumped my old data with the last update so I can’t show you, but at those short races my heart rate goes to 175 almost immediately and then bounces in about a 7 beat band for 40 minutes.   

 

 

Lol.  That’s fabulous.  I’ve never done Strava art, but I think @jstanlick has dabbled in it.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tuesday & Wednesday

A lot of getting the house ready for MIL to visit and to be gone for a while. Today we went to the zoo to see the llamas.  They were a lot bigger than I expected.  We put a new bumper on Mrs. Sloth’s Honda.  It didn’t go smoothly, but it got done.  

 

Tuesday I got in a 9 mile trail ride with a couple of friends. I was riding horribly.  Today I didn’t do any fitnessing.  

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now