• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Okay. Couple a bummers.

1) I started taking a skills test for the bootcamp I want to do. I was struggling too much with the first question...probably because I was doing it in python which I'm still new to. So I'm putting off applying to that bootcamp until my Python skills are up to snuff.

2) I heard back from the job I applied to. They said they would like to continue searching. To quote the email:

"Thank you for your interest in the Oomp-loompa position at Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory. While your background and qualifications are impressive, we have decided to continue our search.

We appreciate the time you invested in your application and encourage you to apply for future positions at Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory, for which you qualify.

We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors. Thank you, again, for your interest in our organization and sharing your background with us."

In case you were wondering, I changed the name of the company and the position just in case one of my deranged yet loving fans decides to inundate them with bags of hatemail.

So I'm gonna follow-up with that for feedback. I want to know...

1) Was I underqualified, overqualified, or not a good fit.

2) What skills I might be lacking.

3) What other types of positions I should consider and look for at the company.

Anything else I should ask?

So overall, a bit of a downer, but at least I have a better sense of where I stand right now.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Curl Brogo said:

In case you were wondering, I changed the name of the company and the position just in case one of my deranged yet loving fans decides to inundate them with bags of hatemail.

oompa+loompa.jpg

• Haha 6

OH!

Some silver linings...

Weight was at 250.2 lbs. this morning. So, I should be headed below 250 soon. Though I might not see my average drop for another week or two, it's always exciting to see low numbers pop up.

During the process of this coursera certificate, I've been posting my "badges" on LinkedIn. A couple of my coworkers that I've connected with have been asking me about databases and if I can look at the one they are using and see if I can fix it, or update it. It's an MS Access database, but what the hell? So I looked at it a little bit today. It's basically just four tables with no relationships (read whoever set it up just wanted to store data and didn't really understand relational databases) and after combing through the company's drives and folders etc. I'm seeing some potential need for and IT person to get in there and clean things and make them more organized and functional.

• Like 8

Week 0, day 6:

Rocky:

Making more progress toward that weight loss goal. My average hit a new low today at 251.6 lbs. My lowest weight in the last week was 250.2 lbs.

tumblr_ptvndpUPCU1ugai4oo1_400.png

Mickey: 0 + 1 = 1

It's saturday, but I got up early and went in to work, putting 4 hours of overtime on the clock.

Adrian: 0 + 1 = 1

I restrung my guitar so tomorrow afternoon when I go visit a friend we can play guitar together.

Paulie: 0 + 1 = 1

One obstacle to doing more coding and working out is the fact that I've had my computer set up in my living room. This is an obstacle because slouching on my fouton makes working at my computer for hours on end uncomfortable and ruinous for my posture. It hampers working out because to clear floor space I have to move the coffee table that the computer is on along with all the wires everywhere, etc. Several times I've been like "I'll just do a few deadlifts." Then I look at the computer and table and just say "Fuck it, maybe tomorrow." 

The reason I've been set up in the living room is that my 'office' has not been functionally accessible.

aa0e5c8d923470ddfccd77e68b94df0e5b6711c9

So I spent a couple of hours fixing that.

1da32fb650ab656f01f8db1e962ee30d940a9b09

It's not perfect, but at least you can see most of the floor and the top of the desk. I am typing this post from the space you see before you. That stack of books on the floor nearest the chair are all my programming books. Most focus on C++, R, Perl, Python, Ruby, and Web Dev(HTML, CSS, Javascript). I need to rip into those. Thee's a Java book hiding in my apartment somewhere. The hunt is on.

Addit: I found my Java book along with two more Perl books, two A+ certification study books, two textbooks on graph theory, and A.N. Kolmogorov's book Elements and theory of functions and functional analysis." .... <sigh> the nerdery

• Like 9

The after photo is significant progress! And now you have some elbow room to tackle the rest at your leisure.

you are really taking charge, and it’s admirable. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Where did the plant go??? :blink:

The plant went to the kitchen temporarily to get watered (for the first time in at least a month) and I pulled some of the dead foliage out of the container. It is now back in pretty much the same spot. Alive and well.

10 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

The plant went to the kitchen temporarily to get watered (for the first time in at least a month) and I pulled some of the dead foliage out of the container. It is now back in pretty much the same spot. Alive and well.

I always thought plants make a surprisingly big difference in how a place feels. I have none at home (cats think they are a salad buffet), but I am slowly working my way to having a little jungle at my desk at work. :) 

• Like 2

On 6/30/2019 at 12:01 PM, scalyfreak said:

I always thought plants make a surprisingly big difference in how a place feels. I have none at home (cats think they are a salad buffet), but I am slowly working my way to having a little jungle at my desk at work. :) 

<3 plants - need to slowly add more at home, should be easier now that most of the floor space is cleared away. 

Love the progress with the home office, and the way you identified the root cause of a couple problem habits and got to work tackling it!! 

Bummer on the boot camp and the job hunt, but I'm confident you'll find a way to come back even stronger (is that a "Rocky" plotline? I feel like I've seen it referenced by pop culture referencing Rocky even though I've never seen Rocky directly).

• Like 1

yesterday:

Goal: [previous total] + [yesterday] + [today] = [New total]

Mickey: 1 + 0 + 0 = 1

Adrian: 1 + 1 + 1 = 2

Paulie: 1 + 1 + 1 = 2

Yesterday I went and hung out with some friends at their place. I hadn't seen them in over two years. We picked vegetables from their garden, got some beer from the pub down the street, then we made salads and the seitan I brought. They have a one-eyed great dane. I really feel like should have named him Odin, but whatevs. Then we played guitar for a while, and I inherited yet another programming textbook. yay.

They told me a story about a friend of theirs who makes money by busking, and can pull in $200 in a couple hours. It's probably not typical, but now I gotta think about that. If I can get myself on the street in front of passersby playing flamenco on my guitar on the weekends, I might be able to finance a damn bootcamp after all. Hell, I'll do four hours. I can easily do one or two, sitting at home playing for myself for free.

I had about three beers and a tiny sliver of cake (which was sugary, but the 'cake' part was mostly crushed walnuts). None of that knocked me out of keto, though I did seem pretty tired afterward. But, factor in that its been 90+ degrees and pretty humid + beers + social interaction... that makes me very tired overall anyway. (the day was basically taking some time for a break while fulfilling social obligations, Adrian and Paulie).

Today, I took an extra fifteen minutes on my lunch break so I could eat a little more and rest a little more because I needed the energy today (Adrian). Then when I got home I put together a materials list and price estimate for my step Dad's garage shelves. (Paulie)

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Bummer on the boot camp and the job hunt, but I'm confident you'll find a way to come back even stronger (is that a "Rocky" plotline? I feel like I've seen it referenced by pop culture referencing Rocky even though I've never seen Rocky directly).

It just dawned on me that every Rocky movie, and every movie about Santa have the same plot in common.

There's a lot of anticipation about a firm deadline by which a goal must be sufficiently prepared for and executed. Obstacles accumulate until reaching a point where executing the event and obtaining the goal seem impossible. Then suddenly an event occurs that makes the impossible possible, and in the end the goal is met, not necessarily without compromise, but the goal is achieved.

See also, The Bible.

We're getting meta in here.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

It just dawned on me that every Rocky movie, and every movie about Santa have the same plot in common.

I don't know about Santa movies. But someone who writes comic books once gave a talk about plots, and she said that in a lot of hero plots, the hero trains up and gets significantly better, but then meets the villain a first time and finds their power is not great enough to defeat them. Then they have a crisis of faith or whatever, then renew their commitment, train harder (or have some other revelation/make a better plan/get more allies etc) and are able to meet the villain again and beat them. Clearly, the story would be less dramatic if the hero weren't initially outmatched. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Harriet said:

I don't know about Santa movies. But someone who writes comic books once gave a talk about plots, and she said that in a lot of hero plots, the hero trains up and gets significantly better, but then meets the villain a first time and finds their power is not great enough to defeat them. Then they have a crisis of faith or whatever, then renew their commitment, train harder (or have some other revelation/make a better plan/get more allies etc) and are able to meet the villain again and beat them. Clearly, the story would be less dramatic if the hero weren't initially outmatched. 

Ah, you mean Rocky III.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 1:43 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Ah, you mean Rocky III.

Probably, I've never seen the Rockies. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harriet said:

Probably, I've never seen the Rockies. 

giphy.gif 

The first one is brilliant and worthy of Eternal Classic status. The second one is... it's a sequel. That's it. And the third one is also a really good movie. 

There are only three Rocky movies, by the way. Do not believe the internet if it tries to tell you otherwise. (There are also no sequels to the Matrix. There was only ever one Matrix movie.)

Creed was good though. Genuinely a good movie.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

giphy.gif 

The first one is brilliant and worthy of Eternal Classic status. The second one is... it's a sequel. That's it. And the third one is also a really good movie. 

There are only three Rocky movies, by the way. Do not believe the internet if it tries to tell you otherwise. (There are also no sequels to the Matrix. There was only ever one Matrix movie.)

Creed was good though. Genuinely a good movie.

Incorrect. There are exactly four Rocky movies. And the fourth is the "most entertaining" by a long shot. It features a humanoid robot, a montage where Rocky does some deep thinking in a Trans Am, a cameo by James Brown (as shown in the gif above), and a second montage where Rocky trains in the Russian (Siberian?) wilderness.

I know. I know. It all sounds way to incredible. I mean, how can one movie contain that much amazing content? But I've seen it with my own eyes and I promise I wouldn't lie to you about something like this.

However, THERE WERE NO ROCKY MOVIES MADE AFTER ROCKY IV. There is no way you could possibly top that. IMDB is just wrong and full of lies.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I need to change up my tracking philosophy. Err. Not sure why I've been focusing on Mickey, Adrian, and Paulie.

Rocky Represents all the goals:

1. Maintaining ketogenesis with my pescatarian, dairy-free ketogenic diet.

2. Following a lifting program

3. Working extra hours and saving money

4. Working on my certification and getting better at programming and statistics

Apollo is the boss fight:

1. Set an NF low-weight PR. (<244 lbs.)

2. Complete my Coursera certification.

Mickey, Adrian, and Paulie are supporting roles, and hence are like bonus activities. Things that need to be managed on the side while I focus on training for the fight. Make sense?

I'm gonna tighten them up and give them some focus.

Mickey: Points for lifting.

Adrian: Points for practicing guitar.

Paulie: Points for being social.

So here's a new summary.

Rocky:

Keto: still maintaining. However, yesterday I went off the rails (slightly) by eating 40 chicken wings. It happens. Tambien, como tres tacos sin tortillas: dos pastors y uno chile relleno.

Lift: I need to set a schedule for my program, and start sticking to it. I have done nothing thus far this challenge.

Work and save: Today is the holiday, so I got paid to sit at home today, but I'm not doing so well for picking up overtime. The weather has had me sleeping late so I haven't been getting in early. I'm still staying late enough to get my 8 hours, but I need 9 a day. :/

Program: I'm about halfway through the assignment in the penultimate course of this certification. I should be able to finish it this weekend. I've spent a lot of time honing my python skills with my side project which is building my own little piece of music synthesizer software. Right now I can generate digital waveforms with harmonics and write them to a .WAV file. Which is pretty cool. Next I need to iron out how I want to make the dynamics and construction of a composition. I'm also doing a 30 days of coding challenge on HackerRank.

Mickey: Fuck off Mick, it's been like 90 million degrees and I don't wanna. 1 + 0 = 1

Adrian: This week I learned part of a new Flamenco palo: Fandango de Huelva. 2 + 1 = 3

Paulie: The tacos I had yesterday were from going out to lunch with co-workers. I got to know a couple of the new guys better. 2 + 1 = 3

Finally,

Addit: My mistake. Apparently in Rocky IV, Rocky drives one of two Lamborghinis he owns. Not a Trans Am.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Deckard Gainz said:

Glad to know I'm not the only one programming to those youtube playlists. 

LMAO at 40 chicken wings but you know, I get it. I do. 

What else is there to listen to when programming?

tumblr_pu6ypgr3Mj1ugai4oo1_400.png

Note the post wing bump from yesterday.

• Like 3