• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Curl Brogo

Brogo is Rocky part I

Brogo’s Rocky themed challenge

Rocky I

Yeah. This is way too long overdue. Considering how much I love Rocky I – IV. So you can expect three more of these. In my universe, we pretend that Rocky V and beyond don’t exist. In fact, III and IV are not great movies either, but contain certain redeeming elements. Those being [Mr. T], and [topical Cold War political discourse disguised as a boxer known as “The Italian Stallion” fighting an exhibition match in Russia + a badass, “old school” training montage in the Russian wilderness], respectively.

WARNING:

1. This thread will contain Rocky spoilers. If you haven’t seen Rocky...

2. WTF is wrong with you? It’s a classic and you should have seen it already like a million times.

3. Not only that, if you’ve made to adulthood, you’ve probably pieced together the entire plot and ending from movie and TV references and parodies and various internet memes and gifs.

4. So really it’s you’re own fault for not having your shit together enough to sit down and watch the whole movie so stop whining about spoilers.

5. There. I’ve used up enough of this post to sufficiently warn you about spoilers (that won’t ruin the triumphal cinematic experience that is Rocky anyway). I’ve done my part. Now…

giphy.gif

Main Goals:

Get down to “fighting weight” of 199 lbs. I’m closing in on 250. Getting to goal is way beyond the scope of this series of challenges.

Build a satisfying career. I’ve been a machinist for a year now. I like it. I can tolerate it as a necessary 40 hours a week put food on the table job. But I need a more intellectual engagement to be happy with my work. And money. I’m working on a certification in Data Science on coursera. I’m also exploring a bootcamp on artificial intelligence and machine learning… (oooohhh, can’t wait ‘till we get to Rocky IV XD.) That, and lately I’ve been dicking around with editing audio files using Python. I really want to keep going forward and I’m aiming for a Machine Learning Engineer type of position… which might be possible with the bootcamp certifcation.

The plot

Every Rocky movie has three main elements and basically follows a sequential formula.

I. Introduction phase – Rocky’s current situation is introduced, we meet the opponent and Rocky’s motivation for rising to the challenge. Roughly the first half of the movie. Basically, this post and week zero where I figure shit out.

II. Training phase – Rocky begins training, often using unique or eccentric means based on his circumstances, often with some sort of montage. Plot develops as Rocky faces and overcomes small challenges that result from interactions with his supporting characters, primarily: his trainer, Adrian, and Paulie. This phase finishes with a training montage. Roughly the third quarter of the movie. Weeks 1-3 of this challenge. This is where I’ll do stuff and score points.

III. Final fight – From the end of training to the credits, pretty much, Rocky fights his opponent. Week 4 of the challenge. I’ll set some specific, quantifiable goal and try to reach it.

On to the challenge.

I. Introduction: Rocky Balboa vs. Apollo Creed

image.png.82e796cc334e86ae35b285562d1d4b60.png

Rocky

Rocky at the beginning and I have a lot in common. We’re both southpaws. We both have small time jobs, live in obscurity, and shitty apartments. We’re both yearning for a shot to make something of ourselves. We both eat weird shit for the sake of fitness.

Rocky sets his sights on his goals and trains hard.

For me this means:

1. Maintaining ketogenesis with my pescatarian, dairy-free ketogenic diet.

2. Following a lifting program

3. Working extra hours and saving money

4. Working on my certification and getting better at programming and statistics

image.png.60a56343d79bb5a5b3470954080aa23c.png

Apollo Creed

Apollo is the current champion. Not only is he undefeated, no one has gone the distance, the full 12 rounds, with him. Rocky just wants to get his chance to show the world his best in the face of fighting the champ.

For me, beating Apollo is setting new post NF weight PR. The lowest I’ve ever weighed since joining NF was 244, which I set about a year and half ago. I’m at about 252.2 on average. I’d have to lose over 8 lbs in four weeks. I probably won’t get there by the end of this challenge. But I will commit and go the distance.

I will also go the distance and finish my Data Science Certificate on Coursera. I have one assignment from the penultimate course, then the last course to finish. Totally doable in 4 weeks.

II. Training Phase: meet Mickey, Adrian, and Paulie

Here I track points according to how each character helps support me on the way.

RholFzW.png

Mickey

Mickey is Rocky’s trainer. Mickey is a mean, tough old fucker who yells at Rocky to get him to do more and follow his training regimen.

+1 point for time I use my willpower to stick to a goal even though I don’t want to. When I turn down a food that’s off plan, when I pick up the barbell, when I go in to work an hour early or stay an extra hour, when I make time for a lesson on cousera even though I just don’t want to.

No points for simply doing. Points for doing it anyway.

giphy.gif

Adrian

Adrian is the love of Rocky’s life. Adrian is supportive and roots for Rocky to win, but also doesn’t want Rocky to get hurt. Mickey thinks she distracts Rocky, but Rocky can’t fight without her support. Whenever she disapproves or is absent, Rocky turns into a giant wuss.

+1 point for every time I do something extra for recovery from all the goal oriented work. Go for a walk, do some yoga or stretch. Catch up on sleep on weekends. Take time to cook a better tasting more enjoyable meal so my diet doesn’t stagnate. Play guitar to clear my head from coding. Etc. Constructive Tangents that support goals.

tenor.gif?itemid=4898468

Paulie

Paulie is Rocky’s best friend and Adrian’s older brother. He drinks a lot and throws temper tantrums. He’s jealous of Rocky sometimes, but he’s also Rocky’s biggest fan. He really just wants Rocky’s attention and friendship.

+1 point for every time I overcome an obstacle. Make time to get training done, or eliminate a distraction, or fulfill social obligations Etc.

image.png

• Like 12

23 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following!

giphy.gif

12 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Hellooooo! Here to cheer you on!

giphy.gif

10 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Following along

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, Gemma said:

Good stuff here, I'm along for the ride :) 

flappy-dog-face.gif

8 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Dang dude, 45+ hours of work then a certification on top of it? That's some hustle!

Here and following!

That's what my life has become. 45 hours is the minimum I need in my current position to make ends meet.

I'm almost done with the certification. After that, I'm either gonna self-study and plow through a couple online tutorials to prepare for the position as a data analyst that I'm currently pursuing (might do those anyway).

Also, depending on how things work out, I might start on a bootcamp style certification.

6 hours ago, Deckard Gainz said:

Welcome back to Warriorland. Good luck on this go-round.

dog-pinping-ride-toy-car.gif

I'm not sure if that kid is old enough to be imprinting memories yet, but if he is his version of reality is going to be... interesting. Anyway, glad to have you aboard.

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

Heya, how did the keto go over the last couple of weeks? 

tumblr_ptix5o6Kso1ugai4oo1_400.png

Well, okay, that's more than a couple weeks, but overall good. I've been slowing down the last week or two, but this week has my 7-day rolling average moving downward again (orange line, blue line is daily weigh in).

And then, just because I saw this gif... how can you not post it...

tenor.gif?itemid=9114477

I wonder what kind of monster that jaunty little puffball grows into.

• Like 6

Still trying to refine my goals.

Keto/cooking -- keep it going

I think for the keto/cooking goal, I need to do two things better.

1) Breakfast -- I often skip it, and that leads to snacking on less optimal foods. I need protein in the morning.

2) Lunch -- Same deal pretty much.

The messed up thing is that on keto, I can easily skip meals, and it doesn't phase me, but it sets me up for overeating at dinner and/or snacking at bedtime. I often try to sleep for an hour, then get up and snack so I can get to sleep... when I'm low on calories and undereat.

I'm reluctant to start tracking again because of the time involved.

Programmed Lifting -- lift with a plan

I'm gonna try sticking to my 3x3 program but adding some stretching and bodyweight work.

Work more/budget better -- 9 hours/day M-F, work saturday morning when offered

As mentioned, I need 45 hours per week to "survive". Working on saturdays isn't bad. We don't get offered it every saturday. But usually it gets offered 2-3 weeks in a row, then 1-2 weeks without. Anyway, I'm just going to try to make a "habit" of saying yes when offered if I can, and I usually can.

I'm also going to look for more ways to save money and improve my spending habits. I went to Aldi this weekend. Frankly, I'm always dissappointed with what I buy there, but maybe since I'm on keto my shopping habits have changed and I'll find decent stuff that agrees with my palate.

Finish Coursera cert --> double down on SQL and SAS (for possible new job and other applications)

I'm at the very end of course 8 of 9. I just have to finish the final project. The last one is a capstone project where I get to do something of my own.

I just had a phone-screen interview for a data analyst position with a medical records/research company. It went well. I'm pretty sure I just babbled anxiously, but I think I was generally articulate and engaging in my responses and gave the interviewer what they needed to push me along to the next step. If it does move along, I'll move on to some self-study in SQL and SAS since that's what the company mostly uses for the data analysis work they do.

Finally, I'm looking into an online bootcamp certificate in either Data Science or preferably for me Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning. It would take six months to complete, but they back it up with a job guarantee (refund if you can't get a job in the field within six months).

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

I wonder what kind of monster that jaunty little puffball grows into.

This is Puffie the Chow! He died suddenly chewing on a wire and getting shocked which is sad and Debbie Downer of me to say but he still has an instagram feed up and its full of fluffy potato goodness

https://instagram.com/puffie_the_chow 

Everyone is nervous on interviews! I’m sure you did really well! 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

This is Puffie the Chow! He died suddenly chewing on a wire and getting shocked which is sad and Debbie Downer of me to say but he still has an instagram feed up and its full of fluffy potato goodness

https://instagram.com/puffie_the_chow 

Everyone is nervous on interviews! I’m sure you did really well! 

False!

When puffie bit the wire he didn't just get shocked. No he became Nimbus! He mutated. He absorbed the power of electricity and gained the ability to shape shift into an enormous cloud -- any type of cloud he likes. In dog form he can bark and bite, but as a cloud his bark is thunder, and his bite is lightning. The government found out about his powers, and sensing the military applications, took him to a secret compound (in Montana, the big sky state) for study and training to fight crime and evildoers. His supposed death is just a cover up.

#puffie-lives

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Curl Brogo said:

False!

When puffie bit the wire he didn't just get shocked. No he became Nimbus! He mutated. He absorbed the power of electricity and gained the ability to shape shift into an enormous cloud -- any type of cloud he likes. In dog form he can bark and bite, but as a cloud his bark is thunder, and his bite is lightning. The government found out about his powers, and sensing the military applications, took him to a secret compound (in Montana, the big sky state) for study and training to fight crime and evildoers. His supposed death is just a cover up.

#puffie-lives

Behold the power of the Instant-Plot! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Curl Brogo said:

False!

#puffie-lives

I love this SO MUCH. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

Programmed Lifting -- lift with a plan

I'm gonna try sticking to my 3x3 program but adding some stretching and bodyweight work.

I read "sketching" and thought you were going to learn to draw. Oh well, stretching is good too. 

14 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

Finish Coursera cert --> double down on SQL and SAS (for possible new job and other applications)

I'm at the very end of course 8 of 9. I just have to finish the final project. The last one is a capstone project where I get to do something of my own.

I just had a phone-screen interview for a data analyst position with a medical records/research company. It went well. I'm pretty sure I just babbled anxiously, but I think I was generally articulate and engaging in my responses and gave the interviewer what they needed to push me along to the next step. If it does move along, I'll move on to some self-study in SQL and SAS since that's what the company mostly uses for the data analysis work they do.

Finally, I'm looking into an online bootcamp certificate in either Data Science or preferably for me Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning. It would take six months to complete, but they back it up with a job guarantee (refund if you can't get a job in the field within six months).

Awesome. Oh yeah, I'm sure lots of people are totally incoherent in interviews. Even if they decide on someone else, hopefully you have some interview-specific experience points and the next one will go a smidgen smoother. Damn, that money back guarantee looks good! They should offer that for all university degrees... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, raptron said:

Yoooo.

3yuGSrd.gif

7 hours ago, Harriet said:

I read "sketching" and thought you were going to learn to draw. Oh well, stretching is good too. 

Awesome. Oh yeah, I'm sure lots of people are totally incoherent in interviews. Even if they decide on someone else, hopefully you have some interview-specific experience points and the next one will go a smidgen smoother. Damn, that money back guarantee looks good! They should offer that for all university degrees... 

I got sketching covered...

I'm definitely going to seek feedback on the screen even if, in fact especially if, they decide not to invite me in for an on site interview.

The refund does come with a ton of strings attached. Basically, they force you to hustle and follow all of their advice. Honestly, I think if I did all they say I should, I'd be able to get such a job without the certificate. Let's see how this job interview thing turns out first.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

I got sketching covered...

Is that your owl, and your IG account? Sweet pics! Also, good job with the Keto, it looks like you lost 6lb or so, which is a fair bit!

Ahhh. You know, I feel like every country that can afford it should have a university loan system like Australia. You take out a loan to pay for your (subsidized) degree. Then you only pay it back when you're making above a certain threshold of money per year, and the amount that you have to pay back depends on how much you have. So if you do a double major in philosophy (just speculating, here) and then go to live in the desert whilst eating goannas and wild yams and thinking about the meaning of life, only making $50,000 per year from begging for alms, they won't ask for their money back. But if you get a sweet job as a consulting philosopher being paid hundreds of thousands per year to discuss the philosophy of logic with wealthy clients, you can pay it back, and fast. 

• Like 3

On 6/24/2019 at 8:14 PM, Curl Brogo said:

22 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

The refund does come with a ton of strings attached. Basically, they force you to hustle and follow all of their advice. Honestly, I think if I did all they say I should, I'd be able to get such a job without the certificate. Let's see how this job interview thing turns out first.

Wow, such things still exist???  Even with many strings, that's rare.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Harriet said:

Is that your owl, and your IG account? Sweet pics! Also, good job with the Keto, it looks like you lost 6lb or so, which is a fair bit!

Ahhh. You know, I feel like every country that can afford it should have a university loan system like Australia. You take out a loan to pay for your (subsidized) degree. Then you only pay it back when you're making above a certain threshold of money per year, and the amount that you have to pay back depends on how much you have. So if you do a double major in philosophy (just speculating, here) and then go to live in the desert whilst eating goannas and wild yams and thinking about the meaning of life, only making $50,000 per year from begging for alms, they won't ask for their money back. But if you get a sweet job as a consulting philosopher being paid hundreds of thousands per year to discuss the philosophy of logic with wealthy clients, you can pay it back, and fast. 

That data is a little behind, it's actually getting close to 7 now.

tumblr_ptqaouz7W61ugai4oo1_400.png

2 hours ago, Leimanu said:

Wow, such things still exist???  Even with many strings, that's rare.

I could go way down the rabbit hole ranting about strategies for improving the educational system in America (at all levels). I'm a big fan of tuition free, public universities and trade school. The actual costs of education really aren't much. I figure about $3-4K for tuition, fees, and books/supplies per semester for state residents working on a bachelor's. In comparison to the cost of a single, recently proposed government construction project I've heard about in the news these last few years, we could easily send 712500 people to school full time for a year. However, I'd add that colleges need to be run smarter. And that funding for career paths ought to be restricted with a merit and need based selection system. Basically, give scholarships to anyone who has merit in a specific field, or is willing to major in a field that's in demand.

Of course, if you want the full move away, and live on your own, major-in/do-whatever-the-fuck college experience you'll need to find other sources of funding to pay for it. I'm happy to have my taxes pay for your education, but not every perk of the college life.

• Like 6

Anywho...

Progress aside, I was working on doing a challenge theme. It was gonna be based on the Rocky movies.

It was gonna be like, I do something to support my goals that represents each one of the characters like:

Mickey: the coach who pushes me to work harder

Adrian: who worries about Rocky getting hurt would be like a self-care/recovery goal

Paulie: drinking and yelling

Then of course there's the final fight in each movie, so it'd be like some final challenge I do in the last week to cement my goals into place or whatever.

But doing themes is too much work. It's a distraction from actually pursuing goals, and less of a motivation for actually doing them.

I'm just gonna keep chugging away at doing goal oriented stuff.

But we can talk about the Rocky movies in here if you'd like.

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, Curl Brogo said:

Paulie: drinking and yelling

I'd like to see this written out properly using the SMART protocol.

• Like 2

On 6/23/2019 at 7:58 PM, Curl Brogo said:

image.png.60a56343d79bb5a5b3470954080aa23c.png

Apollo Creed

I'd forgotten how good Carl Weathers looked.  Dude was on point for that movie.

• Like 2