• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Chris Tarly

Brogo is Rocky part I

New Sound!: https://instaud.io/3WOm

Seriously, tho. It doesn't take 24 hours or so to make one sound. But over that time period I added a bunch of functions and classes to make the whole process of entering parameters to shape a sound a whole lot more organized. So yay Object Oriented Programming!

From here on out I can mostly tinker and make small additions and experiment with shaping the wave generator. Until I decide to roll out some sort of MIDI-like API (so much jargon, google it) it's just play time.

Mickey: 5 + 0 = 5

Adrian: 6 + 3 = 9

Paulie: 4 + 1 = 5

I intended to get my last workout in for the week, but I just didn't feel up to it. The recovery. Of course I also forgot to plan out a TKD plan... which is fine because I also think I changed my mind about doing that. I think I might just be looking for an excuse to go off the rails. For now I'm staying the course. Also, I'm taking dairy back off the menu and out of my fridge. My weight loss stalled for sure this week so I'd be better off not keeping dairy around. It's fine if it wanders onto my plate, but I shouldn't buy any and keep it around.

As mentioned in previous posts, I've been spending a lot of time working on my digital synthesizer. Super fun. We'll see if I compose a cyberpunk symphony with it, but at the very least, it's a good project to post on my github account that demonstrates I know how to fucking program in python.

Today I went to church with my parents. Which was just uncomfortable. But I did have a minor religious experience. The sermon was okay, a pretty standard one about forgiveness, but the music sucked, and annoyed me profoundly. Toward the end of the second Christian Pop/Rock Jesus song a jarringly loud buzz and screech came over the PA system. As a scientist I want to explain that as the person at the mixing board bumped a knob or a plug or switch or something. But I must admit some small part of me likes to think that my Dad and Grandma were up in heaven and decided to throw down sign like "Yeah. We're with you. This music blows."

Afterward, I went with my parents to brunch and had an egg scrambler with sliced tomatoes instead of hashbrowns and toast.

Then on the drive home I cleansed my palette...

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

From here on out I can mostly tinker and make small additions and experiment with shaping the wave generator. Until I decide to roll out some sort of MIDI-like API (so much jargon, google it) it's just play time.

Is this your plan? To make like a mini DAW? 

14 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

I intended to get my last workout in for the week, but I just didn't feel up to it. The recovery. Of course I also forgot to plan out a TKD plan... which is fine because I also think I changed my mind about doing that. I think I might just be looking for an excuse to go off the rails. For now I'm staying the course. 

Wait, were you planning to do taekwondo? Or does TKD stand for something else like techno-kraftwerk degree? 

14 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

As a scientist I want to explain that as the person at the mixing board bumped a knob or a plug or switch or something. But I must admit some small part of me likes to think that my Dad and Grandma were up in heaven and decided to throw down sign like "Yeah. We're with you. This music blows."

Ah. I lost a parent, too. It would be a great comfort if I believed it might be possible to communicate with her again. But alas, the part of my brain responsible for religious and spiritual belief seems to have been fused in the "off" position for the last 25 years. Anyway, I'm glad the service was of some, well, service to you. 

18 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

Toward the end of the second Christian Pop/Rock Jesus song a jarringly loud buzz and screech came over the PA system. As a scientist I want to explain that as the person at the mixing board bumped a knob or a plug or switch or something. But I must admit some small part of me likes to think that my Dad and Grandma were up in heaven and decided to throw down sign like "Yeah. We're with you. This music blows."

Amen.

(One of the greatest evils of organized religion is the obsession with forcing bad music onto the masses.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Amen.

(One of the greatest evils of organized religion is the obsession with forcing bad music onto the masses.)

I agree, and I say that as a practicing ordained minister who attends church regularly. I do like the music at my church, but a lot of churches are just...lame with their music.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Deckard Gainz said:

Is this your plan? To make like a mini DAW? 

Kind of. I'm mostly just interested in developing a new way to do synthesis... as far as I'm aware of how to do it.

The old analog way is to use subtractive synthesis. Generate a waveform, and manipulate it by (primarily) subtracting harmonics to shape the timbre. And there are several other types of modulations that affect the sound.

I'm trying to do it the hard way and see what it takes to get from a simple sine wave to the sound of an orchestra and maybe some new stuff in between. Most likely I'll just find a couple of cool sounds and figure out how to generate an instrument/model that I can manipulate with MIDI, then use it in another DAW... since were into jargon and acronyms.

7 hours ago, Harriet said:

Wait, were you planning to do taekwondo? Or does TKD stand for something else like techno-kraftwerk degree? 

Ah. I lost a parent, too. It would be a great comfort if I believed it might be possible to communicate with her again. But alas, the part of my brain responsible for religious and spiritual belief seems to have been fused in the "off" position for the last 25 years. Anyway, I'm glad the service was of some, well, service to you. 

TKD = targeted ketogenic diet, carbs before/after workouts only.

I'm definitely not converting. I'm pretty well satisfied with my own hodge podge of empiricism, pantheism, humanism, stoicism, existentialism, and zen buddhism. (although a close contender is Caodaism -- google that). I'm just glad to know there is a spark of something in me that isn't totally cold and dead, that I'm something more than just a rotting husk of meat.

3 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Amen.

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I agree, and I say that as a practicing ordained minister who attends church regularly. I do like the music at my church, but a lot of churches are just...lame with their music.

As a rebuttal to that statement I offer: plain chant, Josquin Dupres, J.S. Bach, and of course Gospel.

It's just that contemporary 'Christian' genres are lame facsimiles of other popular musical genres. They lack the touch of authenticity and real human emotion.

My flamenco teacher taught me about the "soul of Black Death" which is supposed to be found in the best Flamenco players. Contemporary Christian music definitely lacks that.

Fun Fact: The bass player from Slayer is a devout Catholic. In the words of the article I read about how rockstars aren't always what they seem, he's a "Let's have  cup of tea and talk about Christian Brotherhood kind of Catholic."

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Curl Brogo said:

It's just that contemporary 'Christian' genres are lame facsimiles of other popular musical genres. They lack the touch of authenticity and real human emotion.

Truth!

15 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

If you think the music's bad, you should see what they did to all the holidays....

Before: 

saturnalia.jpg

After:

sheer-terror-santa.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

16 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

I'm definitely not converting. I'm pretty well satisfied with my own hodge podge of empiricism, pantheism, humanism, stoicism, existentialism, and zen buddhism. (although a close contender is Caodaism -- google that). I'm just glad to know there is a spark of something in me that isn't totally cold and dead, that I'm something more than just a rotting husk of meat.

I googled Caodaism. It's still a monotheism where the top dude is, well, male, with a supplementary/secondary nurturing mother figure (which is a little better than what I was offered at school, but not much). I don't think I can get on board with theism generally, and certainly the only way I'd consider converting to any monotheism is if the god were a female dwarven warrior who smites bad people. Like, really bad people, not just disobedient/disbelieving ones. Nurturing optional. 

• Like 3

On 7/16/2019 at 4:19 AM, Curl Brogo said:

As a rebuttal to that statement I offer: plain chant, Josquin Dupres, J.S. Bach, and of course Gospel.

My previous statement was obviously directed entirely at the contemporary travesty you're describing here.

I used to sing in a church choir that did a lot of Bach's chorals. Music with a beautiful soul. :)

• Like 2

Challenge Update:

tenor.gif?itemid=6164113

Weighed in at 261.2 lbs today. I am no longer in ketogenesis. I am way behind on my last coursera course. I haven't even attempted to exercise in a couple of weeks. I'm averaging 43 hours per week at work. I've been drinking too much lately. I've also been eating meat, poultry, and dairy like all the time.

Yup. This challenge has become a flaming trainwreck.

The upside is... I feel great! I'm pretty sure the three bags of gummi bears I ate yesterday caused a huge surge in my serotonin levels.

Anyway. Now's the time to take a little break and reassess things.

Accomplishments.

1) I maintained ketogenesis for 80 days straight -- meaning I never got two keto strip tests in a row that were negative (testing morning and evening)

2) I lost 9 lbs. based on my rolling average weight.

3) I learned how to make bread that has no carbs and is nearly all protein.

4) Probably other stuff too.

I'm going to take the rest of the week, enjoy some moderate carbs, and decide if I want to get back on the pony next challenge, or maybe extend the break and focus on rebuilidng my workout routine.

• Like 9

17 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

The upside is... I feel great! I'm pretty sure the three bags of gummi bears I ate yesterday caused a huge surge in my serotonin levels.

Hahahah. I mean, probably! 

Accomplishments.

1) I maintained ketogenesis for 80 days straight -- meaning I never got two keto strip tests in a row that were negative (testing morning and evening)

Dope.

I'm going to take the rest of the week, enjoy some moderate carbs, and decide if I want to get back on the pony next challenge, or maybe extend the break and focus on rebuilidng my workout routine.

The pony being keto? Or something else? 

I wholly endorse building back a workout routine, regardless. :) Gummis are great for squats, after all. 

• Like 2

Accomplishments.

Looking good! Enjoy your break. 

• Like 1

I got so distracted with the music and coding chat that I forgot about the actual fitness stuff, whoops!

Almost 3 months in keto is pretty good, and it's probably good to take a break now and then too. Your body will probably enjoy a bit of a carb refeed, and it sounds like a great time to get back on track with some workouts.

The cool thing about learning all the carb-replacement tricks is you can use them to manipulate macros even when you're not going hardline keto.

• Like 2

I approve of gummi bears. They are my favorite travel food! I love biting off their heads after a stressful conference day with too much talking.

Sounds like you’re ready for a break from it. I agree with Deckard, you’re not going from Keto to All Pie and Cake so yeah!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, raptron said:

Hahahah. I mean, probably! 

Dope.

The pony being keto? Or something else? 

I wholly endorse building back a workout routine, regardless. :) Gummis are great for squats, after all. 

Pony = keto.Gummi squats, yes.

6 hours ago, Harriet said:

Looking good! Enjoy your break. 

:)

6 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

Still seems like a win to me? 

You did something succesfully and consistently, learned from it and now have data to back up your next move :) 

tumblr_pv63nb4Utv1ugai4oo1_400.png

ProTip: Don't eat three "share size" bags of gummi bears in one day

3 hours ago, Deckard Gainz said:

I got so distracted with the music and coding chat that I forgot about the actual fitness stuff, whoops!

Almost 3 months in keto is pretty good, and it's probably good to take a break now and then too. Your body will probably enjoy a bit of a carb refeed, and it sounds like a great time to get back on track with some workouts.

The cool thing about learning all the carb-replacement tricks is you can use them to manipulate macros even when you're not going hardline keto.

Yup.

Actually, the carb replacement for the sake of keto didn't teach me much, it was the pescatarian/vegetarianism. Now I have all these cheap vegetarian ways to add protein to my diet. One of the things that annoyed me when eating for gainz was the fact that a sanddwich had bread which was almost useless because of the lack of protein. Now I can make them with bredd... which is basically just gluten and pea protein.

25 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I approve of gummi bears. They are my favorite travel food! I love biting off their heads after a stressful conference day with too much talking.

Sounds like you’re ready for a break from it. I agree with Deckard, you’re not going from Keto to All Pie and Cake so yeah!

Tell me more about this All Pie and Cake diet.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

tumblr_pv63nb4Utv1ugai4oo1_400.png

Wait. Are you now above the weight you were at pre-keto? Due to gummy bears??? Wow, those wee beasties are potent. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

ProTip: Don't eat three "share size" bags of gummi bears in one day

Tell me more about this All Pie and Cake diet.

Protip: always share your share size gummi bears with Snarky. 

Well, see you get your fruit from the pies, and some veggies (hello pumpkin). And you can get your carrots and zucchini in cake. A d cakes have eggs, which we all know is an amazing protein. And milk is really good for your bones. It’s so good. And you sleep really well. All the time. So much sleeping. 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Harriet said:

Wait. Are you now above the weight you were at pre-keto? Due to gummy bears??? Wow, those wee beasties are potent. 

Actually, no.

I am above the weight I was at the start of keto tho. Pre keto I was pushing 270. Then I did that 3-day fast, which ignited keto, and made me drop like 8-10 lbs. just over three days. That 8 -10 lbs., was basically just glycogen and water. I've been operating with low glycogen stores and little water retention for the last 80 days. Those gummy bears, whose sugar is entirely glucose, recharged my glycogen stores, which in turn is causing more water retention, hence, I regained 8-10 lbs. in a day.

4 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Protip: always share your share size gummi bears with Snarky. 

Well, see you get your fruit from the pies, and some veggies (hello pumpkin). And you can get your carrots and zucchini in cake. A d cakes have eggs, which we all know is an amazing protein. And milk is really good for your bones. It’s so good. And you sleep really well. All the time. So much sleeping. 

4 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

And with Scalyfreak!

Git yer own gummy bears.

giphy.gif

• Haha 5