• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Chris Tarly

Brogo is Rocky part I

The challenge is over I guess. I'll recap based on the core Rocky goals.

Rocky

Rocky at the beginning and I have a lot in common. We’re both southpaws. We both have small time jobs, live in obscurity, and shitty apartments. We’re both yearning for a shot to make something of ourselves. We both eat weird shit for the sake of fitness.

Rocky sets his sights on his goals and trains hard.

For me this means:

1. Maintaining ketogenesis with my pescatarian, dairy-free ketogenic diet.

2. Following a lifting program

3. Working extra hours and saving money

4. Working on my certification and getting better at programming and statistics

============================

1. Keto: Wow. I was really cruising along and then WAM! Just took a big ole nose dive on that one... And I'm not sure why. I just suddenly said fuck this and ate three bags of gummy bears. I think part of me wanted to start trying TKD, or just to experiment with a refeed to see if it helped pick me up because the workouts were not happening and I was feeling drained. Then again, maybe that's all keto is supposed to be. Just do it for a month or two, lose like 10 lbs then move on. In the past when I did it, that's how it seemed to work out. This time was no different I guess. Now what?

2 Lifting Program: I tried for like a week. Then nothing. :(

3. Working extra hours and saving money. I've been really good the last two weeks. I've worked both the last two Saturdays for OT. I started out slow tho.

4. My certification is almost done, but I did plan to push hard and get it done by the end of the challenge. I think I spent too much time working on my Python synth wave generator (which was worthwhile) and playing guitar.

Overall: I did not go the distance and Apollo whooped my ass.

With that, I'm not continuing this Rocky theme. I should've gone with my gut. Themes are distracting, and the theme is why this challenge tanked. Yup. The theme did it. Had nothing to do with my lack of discipline or anything like that. It was the theme. Yup.

• Like 8

Themes are terrible. Down with themes :D:D:D 

There was enough good in your challenge that you accomplished!  The nice thing about a streak ending is it gives you time to think about what you really want to do. Maybe the gummi bears are telling you that you're ready to try a different path!

I dunno. But high fives! You made through the challenge!

• Like 1

Next Challenge:

If you don't see me here or in the adventurers, look for me in the Monk's guild. I might start doing Aikijujutsu -- the precursor to aikido with much deeper roots (supposedly).

Why? I lack a purpose for exercising. I think lifting weights for its own sake seems pointless. Losing weight to look better naked is just vain. Lifting weights to get better at throwing people at the floor, losing weight to move faster in a fight... sounds like fun.

I used to practice Kung Fu, it was super fun and I lost 50 lbs, the same 50 or so I'm trying to lose now, in the first year. Granted, then I was 20, but whatever. I'll just have to drink fewer beers in between classes and workouts. And do more stretching. I miss being able to move like that.

The next challenge will probably center on conditioning to get myself back in fighting condition. Like Rocky. Or maybe Karate Kid... I will literally be helping my stepdad paint a fucking fence before the summer is over.

NO! No themes.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

If you don't see me here or in the adventurers, look for me in the Monk's guild. I might start doing Aikijujutsu -- the precursor to aikido with much deeper roots (supposedly).

Awesome. There's definitely an element of technique in martial arts that makes it an ongoing story I want to keep building on--gotta perfect that tornado kick. And there's a social aspect that can be encouraging if you like or don't mind other humans. Any reason you chose aikijujutsu specifically? 

10 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Awesome. There's definitely an element of technique in martial arts that makes it an ongoing story I want to keep building on--gotta perfect that tornado kick. And there's a social aspect that can be encouraging if you like or don't mind other humans. Any reason you chose aikijujutsu specifically? 

There's a dojo that's located near me, and of the schools in the surrounding area, it seems like the most realistic and level headed. Also, not knowing about aikijujutsu specifically... I probably have the fewest preconceived notions and biases against it.

Kung fu: Been there, done that... also a lot of people drawn to it are into something supernatural or weird like ghosts, TCM, or conspiracy theories. Or they are just way too much into the flashy Wushu, Chinese Opera, and movie styles

Karate: in Archer's words, "the Dane Cook of Martial Arts"

Krav Maga: Get a black belt in overly militaristic and aggressive groin punching

TKD: is for children and people who just want to hang out and "do karate", plus I know my Kung Fu is better -- (no offense Harriet)

BJJ/MMA: I'm a bro who really likes UFC.

Aikido: too much dancy flowiness, and role playing. They actually teach students not to strike... without extensive study and/or modification aikido is completely useless in real world self-defense and combat

Tai Chi: Dancing for hippies and old people

Ninjitsu/Ninpo: sigh, really... you think you're a ninja, OFFS

There are definitely good schools that are exceptions to these stereotypes, but after much searching, I haven't found many here in Indianapolis. And really, all I'm going by is how they present themselves. I've always liked the idea of aikido, but always thought it to be a little too philosophical and not practical. This video summarizes the differences between aikido and aikijutsu pretty well:

If I had the choice of studying any martial art, I'd pick Shuai Jiao (traditional Chinese "wrestling" a lot like judo or jiu jitsu) but there are only a few schools in the US. The school that I'm going to try out is primarily a Judo school that roots its teaching in Aikijujutsu/Jiu Jutsu/Kenjutsu... so they start all students with AJJ, then you  can move onto or cross train other traditional Japanese martial arts. I 'picked' it because the school is close, and seems to fit what I'm looking for in a martial art: a good balance between tradition and applicability without a lot of pretentious bullshit.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2019 at 4:51 PM, Curl Brogo said:

Mixin' it up.

I played this as I scrolled and didn't realize how hard I was rocking out, lol! I'm sitting outside and I'm sure the neighbors can hear me.  Three of my 5 neighbors play: salsa, reggaeton, and hip hop. I just needed to prove my whiteness reaches back through the ages!

It's these videos on YouTube that have the funniest comments.

On 7/16/2019 at 11:20 AM, Harriet said:

I googled Caodaism. It's still a monotheism where the top dude is, well, male, with a supplementary/secondary nurturing mother figure (which is a little better than what I was offered at school, but not much). I don't think I can get on board with theism generally, and certainly the only way I'd consider converting to any monotheism is if the god were a female dwarven warrior who smites bad people. Like, really bad people, not just disobedient/disbelieving ones. Nurturing optional. 

Sounds good to me. And sex-positive too, right?

6 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

**sighs and whispers** my people

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

Kung fu: Been there, done that... also a lot of people drawn to it are into something supernatural or weird like ghosts, TCM, or conspiracy theories. Or they are just way too much into the flashy Wushu, Chinese Opera, and movie styles

Karate: in Archer's words, "the Dane Cook of Martial Arts"

Krav Maga: Get a black belt in overly militaristic and aggressive groin punching

TKD: is for children and people who just want to hang out and "do karate", plus I know my Kung Fu is better -- (no offense Harriet)

BJJ/MMA: I'm a bro who really likes UFC.

Aikido: too much dancy flowiness, and role playing. They actually teach students not to strike... without extensive study and/or modification aikido is completely useless in real world self-defense and combat

Ninjitsu/Ninpo: sigh, really... you think you're a ninja, OFFS

.....my dojo is cool... It has real adults and all. We mostly practice kicks, and the more serious the student appears, the more feedback they get from the experienced blackbelts. It's great. But it's attached to the university so it attracts properly competitive, sporty people. But when I go back to Berlin I'll have to choose between a more standard taekwondo place (not sure how serious/skilled they are) and an MMA place (kinda worried they'll be macho brodudes)... I wouldn't want to do something without striking, that's for sure. Also, I'm not sure I understand what a dane cook of martial arts might be.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, raptron said:

Hahah. I loved wushu because it's flashy kung fu gymnastics WITH SWORDS. :D 

Me too!

Well, I haven't practiced wushu but I admire the performance of it.

9 hours ago, Harriet said:

.....my dojo is cool... It has real adults and all. We mostly practice kicks, and the more serious the student appears, the more feedback they get from the experienced blackbelts. It's great. But it's attached to the university so it attracts properly competitive, sporty people. But when I go back to Berlin I'll have to choose between a more standard taekwondo place (not sure how serious/skilled they are) and an MMA place (kinda worried they'll be macho brodudes)... I wouldn't want to do something without striking, that's for sure. Also, I'm not sure I understand what a dane cook of martial arts might be.  

I studied Kung Fu through a University club. We had some insane number like 50 different martial arts clubs. Every year they had an event when they hosted the special Olympics. Apparently, the year before I joined they put all the martial arts clubs in the same area, and "my Kung Fu is better than your TKD is better than your Karate" bickering ensued. Club leaders began sparring and point fighting. Nobody got hurt and after that the clubs held a certain respect for each other, but to avoid lawsuits, the next year when I joined the martial arts clubs were separated.

I wish I had the selection of those clubs over the places in strip malls I have to choose from now. But, what do you do, this is the American midwest, we don't have shaolin temples, so you just shop around, literally, in strip malls until you find what you're looking for. <sigh>

I now realize that by the Dane Cook you might think I was offering an alternative to the Swedish Chef... but basically it means if this comedian was a martial art:

He'll make you laugh, but he lacks real depth, complexity, and cultural awareness. It's mostly goofy, over-the-top physicality, and  hyperactivity. The kind of humor that appeals to young teenage boys. Like strip mall karate.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

I studied Kung Fu through a University club. We had some insane number like 50 different martial arts clubs. Every year they had an event when they hosted the special Olympics. Apparently, the year before I joined they put all the martial arts clubs in the same area, and "my Kung Fu is better than your TKD is better than your Karate" bickering ensued. Club leaders began sparring and point fighting. Nobody got hurt and after that the clubs held a certain respect for each other, but to avoid lawsuits, the next year when I joined the martial arts clubs were separated.

I wish I had the selection of those clubs over the places in strip malls I have to choose from now. But, what do you do, this is the American midwest, we don't have shaolin temples, so you just shop around, literally, in strip malls until you find what you're looking for. <sigh>

Muahahah. I can't believe all the martial artists were actually fighting about whose art is best. Honestly, I expect it depends on the person--if someone is very fast, strong, coordinated and aggressive does it really matter if they are using karate kicks or kungfu kicks? Likewise, I guess for choosing the right club, the people and the vibe you get are more important than the actual art. Unless the art is one where there are no kicks. That would make me sad. 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2019 at 12:35 AM, Curl Brogo said:

something supernatural or weird like ghosts, TCM

TCM isn't supernatural, but weird is probably a pretty apt description :)

13 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I can't believe all the martial artists were actually fighting about whose art is best. 

This is literally the origin story of UFC

• Haha 3