• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sarakingdom

Sara Kingdom Goes Kurosawa

Week 4 Day 2

Update: I finished all the tasks except my stretch goal, and overachieved on a few of them. This is excellent. I want to do more, but I'm training myself to be done, and to trust myself to get things done when I say I will and finish when I say I will. I put in the time, I'm done, it's now bedtime.

I have a small list of things to do tomorrow. Maybe I will put in a single timebox of work before I go in to the office. After all my sleep.

I'm not sure what tonight's audiobook will be. I do Jingo a lot, but I'm sort of in a Jingo mood.

• Like 1

Update to the update: I'm in bed on time. See, I really can trust myself to get the things done on time. And I even did a few extra but good things on the way to bed. God, this is such an improvement over the past couple of weeks.

Definitely Jingo. I'm in the mood for a sunny holiday with donkeys and juggling and maybe a teeny war.

• Like 2

And a mini work space farm update while I'm at it.

The marigold now has two flowers and three more buds, while still not being much more than three or four inches tall. It also has a new marigold neighbor that I put on Friday. Since Friday, the green onions grew like six inches, the basil more than doubled, and the kale I'd trimmed back to four or five weeks is now a monster with twelve or more leaves spanning a foot. I gave away a ton of basil and the top six inches of onion, but it's basically all grown halfway back since yesterday morning - at least two onions have hit the space farm ceiling in about 32 hours. Since I'm still luring people into taking stuff and they're not keeping up with the tiny amount we have, I think this week's lunches will include kale, basil, and onion salads. I'll have to pick up some salad dressing and dried cranberries on my way to work.

One of the seedlings I took out of the kids' table is thriving. The other two, not so much. Oops. And sadly, I'm not going to have any idea what they were till I see what else made it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(Honestly, I don't even know what the survivor is. They all look alike until they're a few inches tall. My coworker thinks lettuce, but I think it looks like a brassica of some sort. Who knows.)

I might have extra space in there. I took out both roses and didn't bother replacing the oregano. Watercress? I do like watercress, and apparently it adores hydroponics, for obvious reasons. And it's a little more decorative than the average salad green.

I need to remember to water the garden tomorrow. I did get to once last week, and it's probably not suffering, but it's time. And my tomatoes look stressed. Oh, and I need to see if anything in the greenhouse has decided to live. I don't have high hopes for the replacement melon, cucumber, and squash I put in. I'm not even feeling that hopeful about my currant tomato, and my pepper is not doing amazingly. But there are some communal seedings in the greenhouse, including some really healthy tomatoes and some kind of pepper, and a non-dwarf watermelon. Maybe I can just throw some stuff in.

But you never know. I didn't expect chard or beets to be the easiest thing in the world, although they are, and I didn't expect this variety of carrots to be super easy, because they're not meant to be. And I didn't expect one of the kale plants to suddenly decide it was super happy in the hot summer, because for a really long time it wasn't, and it's not meant to be.

Oh, also, gotta remember the bug spray, so my surprise happy Japanese melon can get a spray. It had a lot of fruit setting, last time I looked. And was trying to invade my plotmate's tomato patch, but I think that's fair, since her tomatoes are trying to invade my melon patch. I'm trying to train it, though. Oh, and it's probably time to start the broccoli and rhubarb, so I should take that in. And the winter radishes, maybe? Might be too early for those, but maybe a few just for fun. It's kind of getting to be "what do I want to eat in October" season. And I think I'll start throwing some carrot and onion seeds around on the empty dirt. The onions are super slow, and the carrots are sort of middling, so they'll want the start. Maybe another round of beets, too. (What likes nitrogen? I have a bean patch. Which is probably flowering, actually, so I may get beans soon.) If I'm going to do more ginger, honestly, I need to get on it. It won't be fully grown, but I'll get a bit more than I put in.

No sign of any of my second round of flowers. I'm thinking that either it was too hot for them, or they need a winter to germinate. Well, whatever. It's all a surprise.

I need more recipes for thyme. Maybe I'll make soft cheese and make it thyme flavored. But I have truly impressive quantities to use. Also basil.

• Like 2

I have thyme plans. Porchetta, which will also use basil and maybe rosemary. Thyme pesto. (Although maybe that's a little redundant, since porchetta basically is "add a thyme pesto".) Thyme chocolate cake, which hadn't occurred to me, but it was a thing on a recent GBBO episode, and I have been considering making a flourless chocolate cake. Soups and stews. Also, it's time to start freezing herbs for winter. Homemade thyme sausage (which may become full Italian sausage if I get my fennel seeds, and that should be soon). Homemade chorizo-ish, because I like thyme or oregano with smoked paprika. And I didn't realize this was a thing, but Provençal thyme liqueur. (Of course it's a thing. When in doubt, infuse it in vodka. I should have known.)

My thyme patch is going to be so under control. Which is good, because I planted a little of it, and now have like six square feet of it.

• Like 1

Week 4 Day 3

I really need some time off and more sleep. My brain is all sorts low-functioning this week, including a little extra anxious. I think it's just the suboptimal circumstances lately.

I'm gonna try hard to get enough done to do some yoga tonight. I think I need that on my list.

• Like 1

I need a theme for the next challenge, since this is not the first five-week one. I had one in mind, but today I'm not sure I'm into it (though it might just be today). The default is always Discworld, but I don't want to go with the default by default. I could do Dr Who season 8A, but today I'm feeling a little fragile for that, maybe.

17 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

What I did instead was buy $20 of "yoga for athletes" from the company that put out the martial arts conditioning DVD I like. It's not the fluffy spiritual yoga-for-delicate-ladies that drives me crazy, but cross-training led by professional athletes. Three DVDs with four 20-minute workouts (and a shorter bonus) - one is strength themed, one flexibility themed, and one conditioning, which I got mostly for the focus on hip opening. I gave "yoga for runners" a miss, though, and stuck with football, soccer, and, I dunno, whatever the third guy does. Right focus, right length. We'll see when they arrive. I'll need to get my time management under control, but half an hour isn't a deal breaker.

That sounds like a good choice. I am curious to hear your review of the yoga videos.

I really was just done by the night. I shouldn't have been so ambitious, it didn't end well. Doing anything at all was so far beyond me that I even failed disastrously at sleep.

Tonight I have strict timeboxes. I will do two things for fifteen minutes and stop. No matter what.

Yes, there are some days when you just have to call it done. When I was still in the lab my criteria was "can I refill the hydrochloric acid working bottle from the big stock bottle?". Not that I actually had to pour concentrated acid all that often, it was just a gauge of how steady I felt. If I didn't trust myself to handle dangerous things I knew it was time to go home. Sometimes trying to do more is just asking for trouble. 

Funny how there is a window of being really tired and sleepy, but beyond that there is an unpleasant realm of too tired to do anything including sleep. No fair.

Good for you stopping. Stopping is hard. Go you!

16 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Update: I finished all the tasks except my stretch goal, and overachieved on a few of them. This is excellent. I want to do more, but I'm training myself to be done, and to trust myself to get things done when I say I will and finish when I say I will. I put in the time, I'm done, it's now bedtime.

16 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Update to the update: I'm in bed on time. See, I really can trust myself to get the things done on time. And I even did a few extra but good things on the way to bed. God, this is such an improvement over the past couple of weeks.

Yay for finishing all the tasks and STOPPING. I hope you got good sleep.

7 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I have thyme plans. Porchetta, which will also use basil and maybe rosemary. Thyme pesto. (Although maybe that's a little redundant, since porchetta basically is "add a thyme pesto".) Thyme chocolate cake, which hadn't occurred to me, but it was a thing on a recent GBBO episode, and I have been considering making a flourless chocolate cake. Soups and stews. Also, it's time to start freezing herbs for winter. Homemade thyme sausage (which may become full Italian sausage if I get my fennel seeds, and that should be soon). Homemade chorizo-ish, because I like thyme or oregano with smoked paprika. And I didn't realize this was a thing, but Provençal thyme liqueur. (Of course it's a thing. When in doubt, infuse it in vodka. I should have known.)

My thyme patch is going to be so under control. Which is good, because I planted a little of it, and now have like six square feet of it.

Porchetta is tasty. I so envy your thyme patch. My thyme is struggling along in its pot. The marjoram is growing like mad. I need to get back out in the garden. I ignored it last weekend to work on other things.

• Like 1

Week 4 Day 3 continued

My plan for tonight is too ambitious. I'm going to insert half an hour of relaxation, hydration, and snacking on fruit, and then reevaluate the plan. (I have two larger chores I wanted to make a dent in, plus one I want to do, and then add a workout before bed. I need to scale back and just call myself done when time runs out. Yes, they're all important things, but I'll get more done by not overloading myself and letting myself rest.)

• Like 2

Okay, even the revised plan was too ambitious, thanks to unexpected phone calls. And unexpected tiredness levels, which did not go away after fruit, so I will listen to them. New plan: rip my new yoga DVD (done) and somehow feed myself, then pick a single thing and do it. Everything else is bonus. Then sleep a lot.

• Like 3

For a theme, what about earth bending?  With all the gardening, and thinking ahead to fall and winter plants, seems like a fit.  Not to mention there’s a what looks like some  grounding going on (from the cheap seats at least- working on sleep and adding yoga). 

There’s probably some kind of tea or other drink to make with some of the thyme, too.  

• Like 2

All I can say about today is that I made the best choices available to me under the circumstances in all situations, and if that means that both dinner 1 and dinner 2 are going to be ice cream, that tells you more about the quality of today and the limitations of my resources to deal with it than about the quality of my life choices.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

All I can say about today is that I made the best choices available to me under the circumstances in all situations, and if that means that both dinner 1 and dinner 2 are going to be ice cream, that tells you more about the quality of today and the limitations of my resources to deal with it than about the quality of my life choices.

At least there is ice cream.  Throw some thyme on it, can it an herbal refresh (assuming it’s a flavor that works with thyme)

9 minutes ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

At least there is ice cream.  Throw some thyme on it, can it an herbal refresh (assuming it’s a flavor that works with thyme)

I actually didn't have thyme at home, but let me tell you, one of today's best life choices involved lemon basil from the home space farm. I had enough leftover chips and salsa, and a bit of cheese from lunch, that I could make a small serving of nachos. I added green onion and lemon basil from the space farm, and it was amazing. Definitely an herbal refresh.

19 hours ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

There’s probably some kind of tea or other drink to make with some of the thyme, too.   

I've tried thyme in tea, and sadly it doesn't work well. Great in soup, though.

19 hours ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

For a theme, what about earth bending?  With all the gardening, and thinking ahead to fall and winter plants, seems like a fit.  Not to mention there’s a what looks like some  grounding going on (from the cheap seats at least- working on sleep and adding yoga).  

Huh, that might be a good idea. I could stand a little Avatar...

4 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I've tried thyme in tea, and sadly it doesn't work well. Great in soup, though.

Thinking of herbs and drinks - two books you might check out - first is The Drunken Botanist by Amy Stewart. (I may have recommended this before?)  Fun info about a lot of different plants we use in adult beverages, plus recipes (mostly good stories though).

Wild Drinks and Cocktails by Emily Han is another good one- mostly a recipe book, but some good info about plants and drinks, and it's good for both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks (lots of syrups, shrubs, etc.).  You might find interesting things in both to play with.

4 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Huh, that might be a good idea. I could stand a little Avatar...

You also have those gloves with claws...more fun with soil!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

You also have those gloves with claws...more fun with soil! 

They are very badger-mole, aren't they?

You did recommend The Drunken Botanist, but it's worth checking out again, now that I have a specific goal.

Yay for making the best choices under the circumstances.

Ice cream is an excellent food source. Milk is a complete food. Add more sugar and fat for energy and it will get you through a difficult day.

One summer when I was in college I lived in an old duplex without air conditioning. It was too hot to cook most of the time. I was taking an early morning biochemistry class and worked at a Chinese restaurant. I lived on Chinese food and ice cream all summer. I lost 10 pounds. The biking to campus might have helped with that, but we know that diet is 80% of the story. ;) 

• Like 3

Garden haul: A carrot and a half, four beets, some chard, some kale, and several stems of marigolds for my vase.

Downers: The pepper is failing to thrive, the ground cherry is going downhill fast, and the fennel seeds I want to harvest have some kind of webby bug all over them. I didn't offer to share with them. Also, everything I left in the greenhouse to sprout has been cleared out.

Uppers: I think I have a cucumber seedling. The beans are doing middling well. The lemongrass looks okay. There is new autumn fennel coming in. Currant tomato has no tomatoes, but there's basically nothing wrong with it.

The winners: That variety of carrot is basically unstoppable, and so is the chard and beets. The kale is unusually happy. And that Japanese melon has tiny fruit all over it, and is definitively invading my neighbor's tomatoes. It's just too late to pull it back.

I also got groceries. Real groceries. Real cooked-meals-for-a-week groceries. And if some locally made sale ice cream and a bag of oven French fries made it in there, well, one occasionally has to celebrate getting groceries and stuff. Also, 80/20 rule, cuz I said so.

Space farm update: I had a kale, green onion, and basil salad from the farm today. I provided the dressing, some nuts and dried cranberries, and a cheese stick. I'm totally set up for space farm salads at work now. My office mate has also been supplementing his lunches, mostly with basil and a little kale. And the marigold has three flowers and at least four buds.

• Like 5

Yay for all the fresh veggies! Also for groceries. I support your choices in the 80/20 shopping. Supporting local businesses is virtuous. :angel:

Frustrating that the greenhouse got cleared out. Are you going back to starting things at home?