• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

sarakingdom

Sara Kingdom Goes Kurosawa

Recommended Posts

Garden haul (aka, dinner and maybe breakfast):

  • A ton of chard and beet greens
  • Two beets, one medium and one small
  • One carrot
  • Two sprigs basil
  • Two sprigs each yarrow and lemon balm for tea

My beets are the peppermint-striped ones that don't bleed like murder, so it's nice to roast them with dinner. And lately I've been liking roast chard and mozzarella for breakfast, so I brought home extra.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Week 1 Day 1

 

To do:

  • Pick tonight's vegetables - DONE
  • Hydrate - DONE
  • Find my old elementary school thermos and fill it with ice before bed, so I have ice water when I wake up - DONE
  • Aikido wrist stretches; my wrists have been cracking a lot lately - DONE
  • Load the dishwasher - DONE
  • Make dinner - DONE

Loaded the dishwasher, and did enough cleaning to level up the kitchen.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Week 1 Day 2

 

To do:

  • Long overdue summer haircut - DONE
  • Hydrate - DONE
  • Restart the summer cold brew iced coffee routine - DONE
  • Level up the kitchen once more while I'm on a roll - DONE
  • Service the robot vacuum - SKIP
  • Metta meditation
  • Put out meds for tomorrow - DONE
  • In bed by 10:30 - HAHAHA
  • Make dinner - DONE
  • Toast granola - DONE
  • Secondary fermentation on two bottles of champagne - DONE
  • Bottle of ginger beer - DONE

As the last challenge revealed, my self-care game has gotten weak, in really invisible but big ways - invisible until things I had running pretty well collapsed badly for a while. This week will be mostly focused on putting that back into place.

 

Sleep is a big one. Sleep has been, on average, disastrously bad. I am doing better lately, but I started to get this fatigue-induced eyelid twitch, so my body is not convinced I've learned my lesson. So I need to take sleep seriously. I'm in remedial sleep.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Space farm update:

 

My great successes: The little marigold has a bud and wants to flower, and the bare twig cutting of a rose I took is now covered in tiny little leaves at all its nodes. I'm so proud. (This is in about a week, so not bad at all.)

 

The expected successes: The green onion and kale are putting on new growth, and this round of basil is still happy.

 

The losses: The oregano and chamomile didn't make it, and nor did the leafy rose cutting I took from a bush I passed last week. Possibly the lavender, I don't know yet. This is fine, because I wanted room for spinach. Once some new sprouts are in, I'll take those out and start some spinach. Maybe replace the oregano. (Thyme? Watercress? Something.)

 

The sprout progress: The lettuce is very, very close to going directly in. Three of the four have roots to the bottom of the cup. No sign of the rest sprouting yet.

 

The mystery: I found a sprout of something on the wet stem of the rosemary (inside the water tank) when I looked for root growth. God knows what that is. A weed? We'll see.

 

The co-workers: My office mate (who actually works there; I don't so much) is into the plants, and says having all that fake sunlight in the office is interesting, biochemically speaking. He's not getting headaches anymore, and is pretty focused and stuff.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Week 1 Day 3

 

Foundation: A milestone day, my friends. My weekly sleep debt is under ten hours, half the peak of last week. 9 hours and 50 minutes.

 

My challenge is this: while what I actually need to do is tighten up my sleep habits, I tend to let them slip on days when I don't have to work the next day. I need to work on firmer bedtimes and wakeup times, and get more sleep with naps in between. I think this will get easier as the list of outstanding chores (and thus daily maintenance chores needed) gets shorter, but I probably can't wait that long. Also, vicious cycle.

 

Today's tasks: TBA

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

To do:

  • Long overdue summer haircut - DONE
  • Hydrate - DONE
  • Restart the summer cold brew iced coffee routine - DONE
  • Level up the kitchen once more while I'm on a roll - DONE
  • Service the robot vacuum - SKIP
  • Metta meditation
  • Put out meds for tomorrow - DONE
  • In bed by 10:30 - HAHAHA
  • Make dinner - DONE
  • Toast granola - DONE
  • Secondary fermentation on two bottles of champagne - DONE
  • Bottle of ginger beer - DONE

 

Yay for getting many things done!  You are making champagne at home?!? Go you!

 

 

19 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

As the last challenge revealed, my self-care game has gotten weak, in really invisible but big ways - invisible until things I had running pretty well collapsed badly for a while. This week will be mostly focused on putting that back into place.

 

I wondered about that when you were having trouble remembering to eat and having food handy. It seemed like you had a system set up for batch cooking food and prepping bento box lunches. Has that fallen away?

 

19 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Sleep is a big one. Sleep has been, on average, disastrously bad. I am doing better lately, but I started to get this fatigue-induced eyelid twitch, so my body is not convinced I've learned my lesson. So I need to take sleep seriously. I'm in remedial sleep.

1 hour ago, sarakingdom said:

Foundation: A milestone day, my friends. My weekly sleep debt is under ten hours, half the peak of last week. 9 hours and 50 minutes.

 

My challenge is this: while what I actually need to do is tighten up my sleep habits, I tend to let them slip on days when I don't have to work the next day. I need to work on firmer bedtimes and wakeup times, and get more sleep with naps in between. I think this will get easier as the list of outstanding chores (and thus daily maintenance chores needed) gets shorter, but I probably can't wait that long. Also, vicious cycle.

 

Yay for major improvement in your sleep this week!

 

I agree that having a consistent set schedule helps. I have to be at work at the same time every day, so I have only a little slack in when I can shift my wake-up time. I would suggest that you set up a regular breakfast meeting in the morning, but I suspect you already have too much going on.

 

I hear you on the long list of chores. I hope you can use the holiday tomorrow to get some of the key things done so that your daily routine will be easier.

 

16 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

The co-workers: My office mate (who actually works there; I don't so much) is into the plants, and says having all that fake sunlight in the office is interesting, biochemically speaking. He's not getting headaches anymore, and is pretty focused and stuff.

 

Yay for having things growing and for positive responses from your coworker!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad to hear you're getting more sleep and that your garden is helping people to blossom a bit more. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My hair is all bouncy now. It's weird.

 

And it'd help my sleep schedule if I remembered to go home on time instead of getting absorbed in a project and staying late at work. On a night when I need to stop for groceries. THANKS, SELF. NOT GOOD PLANNING. Good work, though.

 

ETA: Today's garden haul is a ton of chard and beet greens, three beets (one pretty good sized, which is great for early thinnings), a big handful or two of basil, and some random leaves of an Asian mustard that's flowering, so may not be too edible. I got extra greens because I might work from home on Friday.

 

Also, my Japanese melon appears to already have two pollinated female flowers that are producing little melon balls, despite only being about a foot tall. Still climbing like mad all by itself. Independence is a nice quality in plants. The currant tomato is starting to flower. An alyssum explosion has hidden one of my ginger nodules, or at least I hope that's what's going on.

 

Garden tasks: Get a fresh round of beet seeds into the ground for September. Get some more ginger in the ground ASAP. Make the thyme behave. Thin the poppies and make poppy seed cases disappear quickly. Clear away the flowering arugula after taking some seed pods. Cut some herbs for drying. Order fall root vegetable seeds, and maybe those Mexican cucumber relatives. Get the new transplants out of the greenhouse. Decide what to do about my repeated squash failures. Decide how to train the currant tomato.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mistr said:

Yay for getting many things done!  You are making champagne at home?!? Go you! 

 

Only the secondary fermentation. Basically, it's pretty trivial to both carbonate and taste-complexify cheap white wine. So I can indulge my champagne tastes on a table wine budget.

 

6 hours ago, Mistr said:

I wondered about that when you were having trouble remembering to eat and having food handy. It seemed like you had a system set up for batch cooking food and prepping bento box lunches. Has that fallen away? 

 

Between time and always being a few chores behind in the kitchen, it's basically all I can do to keep up with cooking one meal a day. Hopefully I can get caught up tomorrow.

 

6 hours ago, Mistr said:

I agree that having a consistent set schedule helps. I have to be at work at the same time every day, so I have only a little slack in when I can shift my wake-up time. I would suggest that you set up a regular breakfast meeting in the morning, but I suspect you already have too much going on. 

 

That might be an option some of the time, except for the days when my sleep failures are truly extravagantly bad. I'll give it some thought.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2019 at 8:25 PM, sarakingdom said:

Also, my Japanese melon appears to already have two pollinated female flowers that are producing little melon balls, despite only being about a foot tall. Still climbing like mad all by itself. Independence is a nice quality in plants. The currant tomato is starting to flower. An alyssum explosion has hidden one of my ginger nodules, or at least I hope that's what's going on.

 

Garden tasks: Get a fresh round of beet seeds into the ground for September. Get some more ginger in the ground ASAP. Make the thyme behave. Thin the poppies and make poppy seed cases disappear quickly. Clear away the flowering arugula after taking some seed pods. Cut some herbs for drying. Order fall root vegetable seeds, and maybe those Mexican cucumber relatives. Get the new transplants out of the greenhouse. Decide what to do about my repeated squash failures. Decide how to train the currant tomato.

 

I need to harvest greens and make my family eat salad this weekend.

 

The germination of my old alyssum seed was extremely low. I think there are two in the pot? Time to give up and go to the garden center. Hopefully plants will be on sale now. I would like to get more strawberries too. I think I am going to plant cilantro and basil in the row where the swiss chard failed to germinate. Those seeds did sprout in my herb pots and are getting crowded.

 

My cherry tomato is still in its pot and starting to bloom. It has rained every day that I might have planted it in the garden. I don't want to just dig a hole because the area where I want to plant it is full of weeds. I may just give up and pull weeds. I have a pile of compost that I need to put somewhere, and this bed would be a good place. My compost cylinder has finished compost on one side and the second side is well on its way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mistr said:

The germination of my old alyssum seed was extremely low. I think there are two in the pot? Time to give up and go to the garden center. Hopefully plants will be on sale now. I would like to get more strawberries too. I think I am going to plant cilantro and basil in the row where the swiss chard failed to germinate. Those seeds did sprout in my herb pots and are getting crowded. 

 

My alyssum didn't germinate till the end of June, which is hugely late in the season here. I've had poppies blooming since April. I have no idea.

 

I'm surprised you can grow cilantro and basil in the same season. Perhaps your summers are just a nice happy medium for both?

 

Sorry about the lack of chard. Chard is the best. I'm eating giant platefuls of it.

 

Interestingly, I don't really get weeds. I've pulled a small number, like one a month? I think it's because I keep the bed fairly occupied, so it's rarely bare dirt, and less hospitable to random weeds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Week 1 Day 6

 

To do:

  • Read Pratchett's "Eric" - DONE
  • Go out for coffee to enjoy my weekend - DONE
  • Make a list of jobs for the week, and, like, schedules and stuff - DONE
  • Robot maintenance
  • Run the robot
  • Set up the home space farm
  • Make dinner - DONE

Eric is a pretty darned good Rincewind book, as Rincewind books go. And Sourcery wasn't bad, either, even if Eric is better.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Eric is a pretty darned good Rincewind book, as Rincewind books go. And Sourcery wasn't bad, either, even if Eric is better.

Good to know.  It wasn't one that I had in my queue but it sounds like it probably be should be added on :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Good to know.  It wasn't one that I had in my queue but it sounds like it probably be should be added on :) 

 

It's an early one, so it's light reading, but it's good light reading.

 

By the way, you should add "The Truth" to your queue. It's a really good one, and it's not on any of the usual subseries paths. And "Making Money", if you haven't done that one yet.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Week 1 Day 7

 

Now/Next: Did three of my seven work time blocks.

 

Water: Rearranged my work/break schedule when I wanted to finish the job.

 

Mottainai: Set up the bedroom space farm and did some maintenance on the watercress fountain. Added lemon balm, mint, and green onion to the space farm.

 

Water/Foundation: I had a lot of trouble sleeping last night, so I'm rearranging my schedule for a nap after I hydrate.

 

Tonight, I have a cucumber to use up, and I need to trim my green onions so they grow back more upright, so I think I'll make a salad dressing and marinate a cucumber salad. I'll pack some in my bento tomorrow. I wish I had some paneer for that; oh well.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Garden haul:

  • Some chard
  • A carrot
  • Two transplants for the home space farm: lemon balm and kale
  • Three cuttings for the home space farm: two lemon basil and a regular basil (I couldn't find the lime basil)

The bad news: my cantaloupe is dead. I'll need to try again. Or put in another Japanese melon. That's the only squash/melon/cucumber family plant I've had any luck with.

 

The currant tomato has super small flowers. The ground cherry has a trillion flowers. Neither has fruit. The beans are doing great  There are more butterfly larva on my fennel, which is fine; we're sharing. But the seeds are mine.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Week 2 Day 1

 

Now/Next/Water: Kept an ambitious work schedule in a flexible way. Also, solved some problems and took the unexpected meetings.

 

Mottainai: Harvested stuff, planted the home space farm, inspected the work space farm.

 

Foundation: Got a reasonable amount of sleep (though was still tired). Drank a lot of water.

 

Now: I got groceries, which means I'm off the hook for most other jobs.

 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Week 2 Day 2

 

Next/Water: My food at work has not been great lately. I've been too busy to cook enough to pack lunches, and not eating enough to fast until I get home, so I've been hitting the vending machine too often. Not healthy, kind of expensive, and I don't like it. So today on the way to work, I stocked up on lunch stuff that was 80% diet-compliant. (The 20% is the "weaning off the vending machines" tax, so I don't give in to salt or caffeine cravings.) Sometimes improvement is about picking the right problem to solve.

 

I really have never before purchased canned soda. Who knew they made ginger lime diet Coke?

 

Foundation: Sure, I'm pretty tired this week, but my seven-day sleep debt is under four hours.

 

Foundation: Took a needed nap.

 

Now/Next/Foundation: Did the laundry. Did the dishes. Made dinner, with leftover chard for tomorrow. Made cucumber carrot salad with homemade dressing. Made carrot green/jalapeno salsa-pesto-whatever. Packed a jar to take in to work to eat with lunch. It's not quite making my own lunch, but it's a step in the right direction. Also, it's the greenery my sandwich roll-ups need.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know what you mean about the "weaning off the vending machines" tax. Compliance is more important than doctrinal purity.

 

Yay for continued reduction in your sleep debt!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mistr said:

I know what you mean about the "weaning off the vending machines" tax. Compliance is more important than doctrinal purity. 

 

Exactly. Actually doing the partial step reliably is better than struggling with the full step, and accidentally reinforcing the wrong habit. 80% is not bad. It's fine to rest there for a week or two.

 

7 minutes ago, Mistr said:

Yay for continued reduction in your sleep debt! 

 

I tell ya, I don't feel it right now. I've had two really tired days. I'm probably going to have to take a nap today before I try to do some jobs at home, or skip the jobs and just slog through the bare minimum to get to bed early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, I didn't have a big win against entropy today, but I didn't fall behind, and I think I did have a small win against entropy. Hopefully tomorrow will go better.

 

I should think about some kind of stretching before bed. Not sure what. Not too long, I'm running late on dinner.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.