Nic has no idea what she's doing, but she's going to do her best

NicTheRugger

1 hour ago, NicTheRugger said:

(My partner and I don't always have the best life choices... but he really wanted to show me the beauty of Vermont, and I really wanted to go.) But other than that, no exercise-- it w

My husband and I like to say those kind of choices are part of the adventure of life.:friendly_wink:

Wisdom- 13.5 Dexterity- 10 Charisma- 11 Strength- 12 Constitution-10 

Elastigirl Just Living Life - January 3 to February 6 New Year Challenge! - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"The chief goal of living is not to merely stay alive" Mike Rowe

You sound like you are doing great right now. Good on you for slowing down to recharge the batteries (physical and emotional)

16 hours ago, NicTheRugger said:

haven't had much (or really any...) training, because we're understaffed and there really isn't enough time. I ask questions when I can, but I feel bad for interrupting my coworkers to ask questions because they're all even busier than I am.

At my job, new hires get pushed in headfirst. I think it is part of our culture here to do that. It means that you have to get good at interrupting people to ask questions and have to be good with asking what look to be obvious questions of very busy people. But, given that is the culture, for the most part everyone is willing to help. I will always stop what I'm doing to answer questions or help people because so many have done that for me over the years. I still ask questions of people that are too busy to answer them, but still get answers. I guess what I'm getting at is that you shouldn't feel bad for interrupting people, as they likely had the same experience when they started. It can be hard to remember that, but getting you up to speed means you will be more productive and helpful... and hopefully your coworkers know that.

• Like 3

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

On 7/22/2019 at 3:01 AM, Salinger said:

When do you go to Poland? 

I leave on Tuesday and won't be back home until late on the night of the 7th!

On 7/22/2019 at 2:01 PM, GoodDoug said:

You sound like you are doing great right now. Good on you for slowing down to recharge the batteries (physical and emotional)

At my job, new hires get pushed in headfirst. I think it is part of our culture here to do that. It means that you have to get good at interrupting people to ask questions and have to be good with asking what look to be obvious questions of very busy people. But, given that is the culture, for the most part everyone is willing to help. I will always stop what I'm doing to answer questions or help people because so many have done that for me over the years. I still ask questions of people that are too busy to answer them, but still get answers. I guess what I'm getting at is that you shouldn't feel bad for interrupting people, as they likely had the same experience when they started. It can be hard to remember that, but getting you up to speed means you will be more productive and helpful... and hopefully your coworkers know that.

I would agree that it's definitely part of the culture here. Which, admittedly, is a tad frustrating! Everyone is always very willing to answer my questions... when I can find them. Which is part of the problem :P Because we're so short-staffed, we're all pretty scattered, and it can be hard for me to track down people to ask the more substantial questions I need answers to. Quick questions, I can usually get answered over text, but when there's a judgment call involved regarding asking what I should recommend for a plea deal or something that's very procedural like "okay, how do I do this specific task like rushing drug certifications from the state labs?" or anything like that, those are questions that are better asked in-person. For me, there's a real fear that I could mess up terribly in some way. This job has... life-changing consequences for people, from defendants to victims alike. And I'm worried that with my lack of experience, I might not do something that leads to a serious negative consequence and could cause long-lasting damage. I've been told to trust my judgment on these sorts of things, but there's always that underlying fear of really screwing things up

• Like 3

Level 4, Amazon Ranger

Current Challenge:  NicBot-5000 enters Recovery Mode

Previous Challenges: 12, 3,  4, 5, 6

PRE REBOOT CHALLENGES: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Various links and sundry: Battle log, Respawn post

An update! 

This week has been pretty low-key. Tuesday was "freeby" run day, which meant that it was actually a 4 mile bike ride on the stationary bike. Wednesday was taken as a rest day. I ended up taking a lovely little walk down to the local package store to pick up a pack of ciders and some prosecco (because life is too short to not enjoy bubbly once in a while). Ended up being around a 2.5 mile walk. I was planning on going to a yoga class on Wednesday evening, but I couldn't find my gym membership card! And without it, it's pretty annoying to get into the gym. So, it looks like yoga class is going to have to wait until after I get back from Poland. Yesterday was the long run-- 5 miles, to the lighthouse and back. I took a slightly different route this time, but still had the same distance, which was very odd-- I was expecting it to be a little longer. The run took a little over an hour, but that's okay. I wasn't going for speed! I was relaxing, listening to a podcast. And it was extremely humid yesterday morning, so the slower run was necessary. Today, just a pull-up workout. 

I'm trying to slowly start building up my mileage to more runs/hikes. I've been told that if I do get into OCS, I should be doing about 9-12 miles a week, not counting hikes. So I'm re-working my workout schedule to slowly incorporate more running. Right now, it's looking like it's still limited to 3 days of dedicated running a week, plus 1 hike. The rough plan for my workout schedule:

Monday: [Body strength oriented] + pull-ups

Tuesday: Run 1, shorter 3-4 mile run or 5+ mile run

Wednesday: Active recovery day: either a walk or yoga or intense stretching session

Thursday: Run 2, do whichever one of the above 2 runs I didn't do on Tuesday, + pull-ups

Friday: Bodyweight training day! HIIT workouts, likely

Saturday: Sprints training for 2-ish miles + pull-ups

Sunday: Hiking with ruck day! Boots, ruck with weights, the whole shebang. 

It's probably going to have to wait until after vacation to implement this plan, because I don't know how much exercise I'm going to get while in Poland. I'm planning on bringing my running shoes and some athletic clothing, and while I can't bring my pull-up bar with me (how on earth would I explain that to the TSA?!), I can hopefully bring my resistance band with me and find a nice tree branch or something? Barring that, I'll do push-ups and inverted rows on a table or something.

That's all I have time for now, folks. Talk to you soon!

• Like 4

Level 4, Amazon Ranger

Friends, I forgot I owed you all pictures!

Books read so far this month: The Odyssey as translated by Emily Wilson, and The Little Book of Lykke by Meik Wiking. Bonus picture: my felted cactus!

IMG_20190726_200532.jpg

IMG_20190726_200527.jpg

.IMG_20190717_214820.jpg

• Like 2

Level 4, Amazon Ranger

On 7/21/2019 at 8:52 PM, NicTheRugger said:

fact that there was a heatwave in my area of the country this past weekend).

It has been no joke! Running in it sucks. I second your idea about podcasts. I use them when I'm deliberately running easy or sometimes for long runs too.

Your trip to Vermont sounded lovely, and I hope you have a wonderful time in Poland.

Since you will be working on increasing your running next challenge, consider posting on the Scouts! (you wouldn't have to stay there forever...we welcome "guest stars").

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

On 7/27/2019 at 8:18 AM, Xena said:

Since you will be working on increasing your running next challenge, consider posting on the Scouts! (you wouldn't have to stay there forever...we welcome "guest stars").

I may come visit! I haven't decided what I want to do for the next challenge yet, but I may take you up on it if I end up on a more run-heavy challenge!

Week 4 wrap-up

It's the end of the challenge, friends! What a ride it's been. I did drop the ball with stretching, during this past week. I also didn't do sprints yesterday because when I went to the local track, I found that it was all torn up and I was reluctant to go to the gym to sprint on a treadmill because one of my coworkers managed to tear her meniscus running on a treadmill and now I'm... wary... of treadmills. So I decided to take a rest day instead. Today, I tried to go for a hike. Key word being tried. I loaded up my ruck, admittedly with a light load of 10 lbs, and hit the trail in the town forest... only to hit the worst maintained trails I've ever been on. I could only do a mile, because the conditions of the trails were just that bad. I'm actually quite disappointed in that, as I was really looking forward to going for a ruck. The upside is that because I had such a short ruck, I had time to get home and go visit a UU church for the first time. It was quite lovely-- an informal session, I learned from one of the ministers, but it was very inviting nonetheless. Not sure if I'll join the church, but it was a very welcoming environment.

I think taking a recovery week this week was a good choice. I needed time for my body to rest. But that being said, I'm also feeling antsy for a more invigorating workout. Going to the gym tomorrow should be fun. 

Polish practice has been going well, and while I'm still far from fluent, I think I should be somewhat okay in understanding maybe... 10% of the conversations that I'll hear while I'm in Poland this upcoming week. 

This upcoming week, 0 week, is definitely going to be spent figuring out what I want to do for the next challenge. Because I still don't know what my fate is regarding the Marines, I want to keep up some kind of training regime. I might just repeat the goals from this challenge, because they were solid all-around goals. I may need to figure out a replacement for sprints though, as with the local track being put under construction, and my new wariness around treadmills, I might just replace it with doing a couch to 5k run once a week and using those shorter beginner sessions to do intervals while running out and about in the world rather than on a track. 

I think that's it for this challenge, bye for now, friends! See you in the next round! :D 

• Like 5

Level 4, Amazon Ranger

15 hours ago, NicTheRugger said:

I think taking a recovery week this week was a good choice. I needed time for my body to rest. But that being said, I'm also feeling antsy for a more invigorating workout. Going to the gym tomorrow should be fun. 

I think the biggest bonus to having a rest period is that we get antsy and look forward to working out again.

• Like 1

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current