• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

WhiteGhost

WhiteGhost is Nephalem

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Seriously, barely 5 million is a Podunk city? 

My town barely has 30.000 people and while we don't have a Starbucks we certainly have plenty of kettlebells ;)

In China it is. ;)

 

3 hours ago, Harriet said:

 

This explains the fun house quiz questions. I thought you just opted for the super difficult setting. 

Haha,  yeah the questions were still hard though, even for the local folk :D

 

Yesterday was spent going to the ancenstral graveyard for my MIL's family and cleaning the tombs,  and then going out to the old house she grew up in.   And food.   Soooooo much food... 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2019 at 7:13 AM, WhiteGhost said:

That and @Mad Hatter's handstanding in a rubber raft :D

I wish it were me! :D We all have to thank miss @raptron for shenanigan inspiration.

 

Really nice job on the handstands! You seem to be able to get into them really consistently now too, any tips?

 

Also it amuses me that Podunk City has the same population as Finland. :lol:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I wish it were me! :D We all have to thank miss @raptron for shenanigan inspiration.

 

Really nice job on the handstands! You seem to be able to get into them really consistently now too, any tips?

 

Also it amuses me that Podunk City has the same population as Finland. :lol:

Huh,  I always thought it was you that did a handstand while in an inflatable raft that was floating in some water at the time (this was shortly after I joined NF, so I probably just you guys confused). 

 

Tips?  Have you tried consistency? :P

 

wow,  that boggles my mind

 

--------------------------

 

Today was another very interesting day.   We started out going to the ancestral graveyard of my FIL and cleaning the tombs there,  after which we went and visited the factory where he worked during the Cultural Revolution and then to the middle school he attended as a child. 

 

Tons of food again,  having lunch with a group of relatives and then dinner with a different group. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WhiteGhost said:

Tips?  Have you tried consistency? :P

  

wow,  that boggles my mind

I want a different tip! One that fixes my handstands for only $5.99!

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Huh,  I always thought it was you that did a handstand while in an inflatable raft that was floating in some water at the time (this was shortly after I joined NF, so I probably just you guys confused). 

We're both up to no good most of the time, so I think it's totally fair. ;)

 

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Tips?  Have you tried consistency? :P

SO HARSH. :P 


Sounds like you guys are enjoying ALL OF THE FOOD.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I want a different tip! One that fixes my handstands for only $5.99!

If you ever find it, I'll pay you double

 

17 hours ago, raptron said:

SO HARSH

I know, right :P  I have a feeling I am going to see that come back and slap me in the face, though, when I start wondering why I can't handstand anymore :D

 

 

Today we drove out to the village where my FIL was born to see the place he lived as a little kid, and also where he went to elementary school. Both his old house and the school are gone now, but it was still interesting to visit the places.   The village was super tiny (less than a dozen families) and was a long way from the nearest paved road.   The place where he went to school was an hour drive away,  but apparently as a kid walking cross country he could make the same trip in about an hour. It was really fascinating to see what very, VERY rural China looks like. 

 

There was some road construction on the way there so they just detoured us into the forest.   There was no road there so it was an adventure trying to drive between the trees to get around the construction zone.   We took a different road home but still too late for the dinner we had scheduled with a cousin, so we have a free night where we don't have to stuff ourselves to bursting. Good thing,  because I am still full from lunch (and have been full for days now...) 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, raptron said:

SO HARSH. :P 

 

Not untrue though. :lol:

 

I still think that your consistency in getting into the handstand is impressive, even @@mu with her amazing consistency in practice hasn't yet translated to perfect consistency in getting into the handstand solidly. That's what made me curious about the difference.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, sorry for being late to congratulate, but way to finish the challenge strong!

 

Now go eat lots of good food and hear good stories!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Not untrue though. :lol:

 

I still think that your consistency in getting into the handstand is impressive, even @@mu with her amazing consistency in practice hasn't yet translated to perfect consistency in getting into the handstand solidly. That's what made me curious about the difference.

I seem to have misled you some how on my consistency.   I only count a handstand if I stay up for 10 seconds or longer, so 75% of my attempts don't even count.   Also, I have the added advantage of already starting in a supported handstand before balancing into a freestanding one, which makes things waaaaaaaaay easier. 

 

What I do is kick up against the low pull up bar (just my toes catch) and then use my core and fingers to pull myself off the bar into a freestanding handstand. 

 

16 hours ago, Kishi said:

Hey, sorry for being late to congratulate, but way to finish the challenge strong!

 

Now go eat lots of good food and hear good stories!

No such thing as late, especially when I finished my challenge more than a week early :)  Definitely enjoying the food and stories

 

---------------------------

 

Today we went to a nearby island and walked around taking pictures and enjoying nature, following that up with a BBQ on the bank of the river.   Very enjoyable morning.  In the evening we invited all of Ghostess's relatives who are in town for a banquet dinner to thank them for hosting us the past few days. It was nice to spend time with them, but if I am honest I expended all of my social manna a few days ago and it has been a struggle keeping up with all of the socializing. 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

I seem to have misled you some how on my consistency.   I only count a handstand if I stay up for 10 seconds or longer, so 75% of my attempts don't even count.   Also, I have the added advantage of already starting in a supported handstand before balancing into a freestanding one, which makes things waaaaaaaaay easier. 

  

What I do is kick up against the low pull up bar (just my toes catch) and then use my core and fingers to pull myself off the bar into a freestanding handstand. 

oohhhhh I see! 

 

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

Today we went to a nearby island and walked around taking pictures and enjoying nature, following that up with a BBQ on the bank of the river. 

Sounds lovely. :) 

 

But yeeeah spending that much time with extended family can be really draining!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hang in there man! Totally know the feeling though, nonstop socializing is draaaaaaaining if you're not built like @raptron - and even she recharges sometimes, I think (though none of us know when :P).

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2019 at 10:41 PM, Mad Hatter said:

oohhhhh I see! 

 

Sounds lovely. :) 

 

But yeeeah spending that much time with extended family can be really draining!

 

On 7/25/2019 at 12:18 AM, KB Girl said:

Wish I could send you a replenishing bottle, know the feeling. Hang in there :) Try to enjoy!

 

On 7/25/2019 at 12:38 AM, Mike Wazowski said:

Hang in there man! Totally know the feeling though, nonstop socializing is draaaaaaaining if you're not built like @raptron - and even she recharges sometimes, I think (though none of us know when :P).

 

Thanks guys,  I'm feeling better after a day of no socializing with relatives yesterday. 

 

Yesterday marked the halfway point in our trip,  and also the switch between a family visit and Ghostess's business offsite vacation. Her two other co-founders and their families (spouses, kids, parents) came yesterday and from today we will head out for some of the more touristy places around the province. 

 

Yesterday was a bit of a rest socially and was spent mostly moving to a different hotel in the city and then checking out a nearby mall.   

 

I really enjoy BBQed meat,  but more than a week of it every day (sometimes twice a day)  is wreaking have on my poor gums.   Yesterday I mostly just ate vegetables and noodles to give them a break. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LONG trip! :)

 

I find visiting with family much more tiring than other social activities, tbh. Enjoy your touristing! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NicTheRugger said:

Sounds like you're having fun on your vacation! Anything particularly exciting on the books for the second half of the vacation?

Lots of fun stuff planned but I don't know much of the details. 2 days each in 3 more locations before we fly back to Beijing

 

36 minutes ago, raptron said:

LONG trip! :)

 

I find visiting with family much more tiring than other social activities, tbh. Enjoy your touristing! 

Yep, pretty long, but 4 days after we get back we fly out for our annual trip to the US to visit my family, which will be about the same length of time.  Craziness! 

 

Today we went out to a wetland nature preserve and saw a whole bunch of Manchurian Cranes (the National bird of Japan) in their natural habitat.   Seeing a flock of them fly around us was truly amazing. 

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday we drove to a place about halfway to the border with Russia that has a right cluster of 15 volcanoes jutting up out of the vast grasslands of the steppe here, although all but 2 of them are extinct and those two are inactive (the last eruption was almost 300 years ago). We spent most of the first day driving and then wandering around a giant field of lava rocks. In the evening we were wandering around the souvenier shops where Ll of the shop keepers tried to talk to me in Russian.  I was able to converse with them, but tier Russian was even poorer than mine,  so the conversations did not go beyond asking me if I was interested in buying their wares. 

 

Today we hiked up to the lip of the crater of youngest volcano and then went to the lake that gives this place it's name (五大连池 - WuDaLianChi or the 5 great connected ponds).  I even got some assassining in while I was there. 

 

There are still 2 more stops on this part of the trip, but I will keep the travelogue going in the next challenge

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now