• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WhiteGhost

WhiteGhost is Nephalem

Hello good folks, I hope you don't mind me stopping by and training in your guild for a challenge.  I suspect it isn't traditional for a newly minted GL to do a challenge in a different guild, but I already had this one planned before that happened and it fits the focus of my challenge.  Pus, I heard that GLs can pretty much do what they want.  Divine right of kings and all that :P  

I have recently discovered Diablo III and have spent a fair amount of time playing that, so in that vein I will be building up a party to go fight the Prime Evil

diablo 3 GIF

My party will have  4  5 players:

1. Barbarian

diablo 3 GIF

The Barbarian is the Warrior of the party, his strength and power reaps destruction among the swarms of hellspawn

To level up my Barbarian I need to go to the gym each week and go through my workout.  Magical weapons and armour can be earned by filming 4 major lifts (Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Overhead Press) and soliciting feedback from the guild here.  My lifting program will be outlined in post 2

2. Demon Hunter

diablo 3 image GIF

The Demon Hunter is the Assassin of the party, using long range attacks to rain down death on the enemy.

To level up my Demon Hunter, I need to go to do 3 skill based workouts per week, focusing on Muscleups, Handstands, and Backflips.  The first two will be done at the calisthenics park, and the backflips will be at the trampoline park.  Magical weapons and armour can be earned by practicing additional skills (such as tramp double flips, kips, giants, and gymnastics combos)

3. Monk

hosting american GIF

The monk uses a combination of mind and body to unleash devastating attacks on the creatures of the shadow.  

To level up my Monk, I need to use my flexibility program (MyFlex) 4 times per week, with one session for each module (Hip Extension, Pike, Straddle, Shoulders).  Magical armour can be earned by doing regular stretching/yoga/mobility work in addition to the MyFlex program.

4. Witch Doctor

diablo 3 character GIF

The Witch Doctor uses primal supernatural powers to thwart evil and destroy the minions of the Prime Evil

To level up my Witch Doctor, I need to focus on two separate aspects of food: cooking and protein intake.

Cooking - make 3 homemade meals each week, at least one of which should be Chinese

Tracking - I feel like I am not getting enough protein.  For this I need to make sure I am eating at least 1 meat dish, 2 eggs, and a protein shake every day.  I can earn magical items by posting pictures and recipes of the food I make.

5. Wizard

diablo 3 GIF

The Wizard uses complex mystical knowledge to create powerful spells blasting the demons back to hell.

To level up my Wizard, I need to complete a set of tasks each week, which will be determined by what I need to get accomplished this week.  I can earn magical weapons and armour by completing tasks outside of my predefined To Do List.  This week's To Do List includes the following items

1. Revise legal contract for partnership
  2. Withdraw cash from bank
  3. Buy new swimsuits for Ghostlet and me
  4. Buy air conditioning unit
  5. Purchase Electricity
  6. Plan US trip (Including booking/reserving tickets, cars & hotels)
  7. Do at least 1 sketching session
  8. Practice ukulele at least once
  9. Prepare Pro/Con analysis for job offer
  10. Get a haircut

• Like 14

I recently got a gym membership so for the first time in many, many years I have the option of lifting heavy things and putting them back down.  For now, I am essentially using it as a supplement to my regular workouts

I have come up with my own program based on the following parameters:

• I only go once a week so I am focusing on primarily all the major lifts rather that any kind of split
  • I don't have a spotter so I am doing relatively higher reps but with lower weight 

Based on those, my program is what I call 5x5x5 and it consists of 5 sets of 5 reps of 5 lifts

I use whatever the maximum weight at which I can do 5 lifts with good form.  First set is 1-2 levels below my max from the previous week and I increase until I can no longer maintain form for a full 5 reps.  If form can't be held for a full 5 reps, I go down a level for the next set.

The following are my lifts along with my current PRs (in KGs)

Squats  (90)

Bench  (55)

Deadlifts*  (160)

BB OHP  (35)

DB Curls  (16)

In addition to my 5 lifts, I finish off with 3 muscleup accessory lifts, still continuing with the 5x5 format:

LPD (Chest to waist)  (23.5)

BB Bent Over Row  (55)

Pullups  (bodyweight)

*The stupid  gym doesn't allow deadlifts so I am stuck using a machine like this instead

Animated GIF

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Plus, I heard that GLs can pretty much do what they want.

Hey, Guild Membership is not for life and jumping guilds carries no penalty. Just putting that out for new readers (and to ease your guilt, lol)

Liking the Diablo theme. Good luck on this challenge!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DarK_RaideR said:

(and to ease your guilt, lol)

I threw in that preamble just in case anyone thought I was lost or something :D 

36 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I'd never expect to find my GL here but whatevs :lol:

I like your theme.

I get around ;) 

Today I started out with a workout in the park.  I worked on muscleups, but I was only able to get them using the heaviest resistance band.  However, I was able to easily get 5 in a row, so I definitely need to be using the next one down.  Handstands were really good and I think I got one that was close to 30 seconds or so.  In fact I had to come down because my arms got tired rather than losing my balance, which was a first for me.  One of the guys there was showing how to improve my kips so that I wouldn't need as much swing, and I feel like I made some really good progress on those as well. 

Demon Hunter gets some Bracers of the Bear

When I got back I did my straddle module for MyFlex, which is the hardest one.  It would be easier if I had a better pike, but such is life

In the afternoon I had a conference call about the job I am considering taking, then we had a worker come over to fix our water heater.  In the evening I helped Ghostlet with his homework and then got my challenge written up.  Still nothing to cross off of my list yet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Pus, I heard that GLs can pretty much do what they want.  Divine right of kings and all that :P  

What hare-brained fool told you that?

Oh.

Carry on.

• Haha 11

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

I'd never expect to find my GL here but whatevs :lol:

Good thing you already pop by the warriors for your favorite ballroom dancer!

I like your theme.

Ditto! I had to take a long hiatus from DIII because I was bad at getting sleep after a gaming session, but like the flavor of the game.

WhiteGhost, welcome to the warriors! Couple questions:

1. Do you get really fatigued doing that many main lifts in a workout? Most I've usually seen in a beginner program is three of the main lifts, and even then fatigue can get challenging.
  2. How long do the MyFlex modules take you to do? I'm debating trying them out at some distant point in the future.
  • Like 1

Enter freely and of your own will.

th?id=OIP.2gx1n-6pz4bL7yKYvtKuAAHaDZ&pid

Sorry, I mean, what I meant to say is "Hail and well met, traveler!" :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Good thing you already pop by the warriors for your favorite ballroom dancer!

Which is also a questionable choice in itself. Umm the guild, not the dancer! :) 

For me the hip modules take about 20 minutes each (extension, pike, straddle) while the back and shoulders is 45ish minutes. But this will be a little different for everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

What hare-brained fool told you that?

Oh.

Carry on.

Is it not written "You'll probably get away with it anyway" ? :P 

38 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

WhiteGhost, welcome to the warriors! Couple questions:

1. Do you get really fatigued doing that many main lifts in a workout? Most I've usually seen in a beginner program is three of the main lifts, and even then fatigue can get challenging.
  2. How long do the MyFlex modules take you to do? I'm debating trying them out at some distant point in the future.
  1. I do get fatigued, but probably not as much as I would doing a calisthenics workout of the same duration.  Although this is my first lifting program, I am not really new to strength training, so for me it is more of a change in structure than anything else.
  2. The hip, straddle and pike modules take me about 30 minutes each, and the shoulder one is more like an hour

24 minutes ago, Gemma said:

Enter freely and of your own will.

th?id=OIP.2gx1n-6pz4bL7yKYvtKuAAHaDZ&pid

Sorry, I mean, what I meant to say is "Hail and well met, traveler!" :) 

Oh, hi!  Is that a wooden stake in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me ;) 

14 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

For me the hip modules take about 20 minutes each (extension, pike, straddle) while the back and shoulders is 45ish minutes. But this will be a little different for everyone.

I think once I get more used to it and don't have to fumble around with the bands so much I would probably end up at about the same times.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, deftona said:

Here to watch you level up your wizard.

That one is going to be the hardest for sure.

25 minutes ago, NicTheRugger said:

Love the theme! Following along for awesome gains, though that DL machine makes me sad.

Yeah, it makes me sad too.  I am tempted to just do regular deadlifts anyway until someone comes along to enforce it.  

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I think once I get more used to it and don't have to fumble around with the bands so much I would probably end up at about the same times.

While I think my program is going to get longer next time. :P hello recent nerve tension

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

Yeah, it makes me sad too.  I am tempted to just do regular deadlifts anyway until someone comes along to enforce 

Sounds like you can play the ignorant foreigner card here. :P 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Hello good folks, I hope you don't mind me stopping by and training in your guild for a challenge.  I suspect it isn't traditional for a newly minted GL to do a challenge in a different guild, but I already had this one planned before that happened and it fits the focus of my challenge. 

Greetings!!!

f936e88ef5932c052c1db5e5585fc4b5.gif

Pus, I heard that GLs can pretty much do what they want.  Divine right of kings and all that :P  

Nae king! Nae quin! Nae laird! Nae master! Just lots of independent adventurers slaying various monsters. Speaking of which, I'm impressed with the all-class character you're building. Also, backflips. So impressed with backflips. And these:

The following are my lifts along with my current PRs (in KGs)

Squats  (90)

Bench  (55)

Deadlifts*  (160)

BB OHP  (35)

DB Curls  (16)

That's a nice deadlift!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

4. Wizard

diablo 3 GIF

The Wizard uses complex mystical knowledge to create powerful spells blasting the demons back to hell.

To level up my Wizard, I need to complete a set of tasks each week, which will be determined by what I need to get accomplished this week.  I can earn magical weapons and armour by completing tasks outside of my predefined To Do List.  This week's To Do List includes the following items

1. Revise legal contract for partnership
  2. Withdraw cash from bank
  3. Buy new swimsuits for Ghostlet and me
  4. Buy air conditioning unit
  5. Purchase Electricity
  6. Plan US trip (Including booking/reserving tickets, cars & hotels)
  7. Do at least 1 sketching session
  8. Practice ukulele at least once
  9. Prepare Pro/Con analysis for job offer
  10. Get a haircut Grow a beard

FTFY: Made it more wizardy

Congrats new GL!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Deckard Gainz said:

Greetings traveler! Stay awhile, and listen!

I was going to stay a while and loot, but OK :) 

21 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

While I think my program is going to get longer next time. :P hello recent nerve tension

:(  And here I thought once the nerve tension issue was fixed you were done with that part...

21 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Sounds like you can play the ignorant foreigner card here. :P 

I plan to abuse that card as far as I can :D

18 hours ago, Harriet said:

Just lots of independent adventurers slaying various monsters

It seems there are always enough monsters for everyone to slay a few (or a lot).  Let's go kill them together :) 

13 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

FTFY: Made it more wizardy

I actually made my first attempt at growing a beard a couple of challenges ago but gave it up before the challenge ended.  Apparently beards make me look like a homeless tramp (as well as making look about 30 years older than my no beard face)

Today started out with a trip to the trampoline park to work on backflips.  I made some good progress and was able to land some good ones off of a mat onto the trampoline.  

Animated GIF

I tried some more later moving the mat completely off of the trampoline to eliminate any additional spring boost but I kept landing on my knees.

In addition to the backflips, I also worked on handstands as usual but I also did something new: double front flips (although into a foam pit)

Animated GIF

I only got a video on my second attempt, but by the time I finished I was doing some pretty solid ones successfully landing them on the foam mat.  The biggest thing was getting over the fear.

My Demon Hunter just got some Adventuring Boots of the Lion

After I got back, I did the pike module for Myflex and even a little bit of regular pike & straddle stretching

In the afternoon I finished revising the partnership contract from my To Do List and swimsuits were purchased tonight.  Only 8 more things to go...

For dinner I made some 青椒鸡丁 (chicken & green pepper stir fry), and surprisingly got a "dad, this is really good" from Ghostlet

I am considering adding a Witch Doctor (food/cooking) to my party

• Like 13

13 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Animated GIFAnimated GIF

Wait, are these you??? SO FLIPPING COOL! I don't understand how backflips work, and the mystery ensures I am impressed. 

Dang yo, those flips are impressive! And I just caught that those lift numbers are in kilos, darn impressive all around!

See @Mad Hatter, this is why I'm not an Assassin - I'm not flipping good enough for you lot. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2