WhiteGhost is Nephalem

WhiteGhost

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Animated GIF

I tried some more later moving the mat completely off of the trampoline to eliminate any additional spring boost but I kept landing on my knees.

In addition to the backflips, I also worked on handstands as usual but I also did something new: double front flips (although into a foam pit)

Animated GIF

WhiteGhost: Becomes Assassin Guild Leader

WhiteGhost: Posts first challenge thread as GL in Warriors

WhiteGhost: Does a bunch of assassin stuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

3 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Dang yo, those flips are impressive! And I just caught that those lift numbers are in kilos, darn impressive all around!

See @Mad Hatter, this is why I'm not an Assassin - I'm not flipping good enough for you lot. :P

I can only wish to be able to flip like that! :o Maybe one day... :) 

• Like 1

Those flips are awesome! Much progress!

and surprisingly got a "dad, this is really good" from Ghostlet

Best compliment ever :D

On 6/24/2019 at 12:19 PM, WhiteGhost said:

I suspect it isn't traditional for a newly minted GL to do a challenge in a different guild, but I already had this one planned before that happened and it fits the focus of my challenge. 

Yeah but you're an Assassin GL, sounds ok to me to practice guild stealth every so often :lol: I'm tempted to try it too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

On 6/24/2019 at 6:19 AM, WhiteGhost said:

I suspect it isn't traditional for a newly minted GL to do a challenge in a different guild

I'm pretty sure that's the first thing I did after getting my GL badge over at the Monks :lol:

Please all of the trampoline GIFSSSSSS!!!!! I need a trampoline gym friend to give me courage...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
19 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Dang yo, those flips are impressive! And I just caught that those lift numbers are in kilos, darn impressive all around!

See @Mad Hatter, this is why I'm not an Assassin - I'm not flipping good enough for you lot. :P

The real reason why I started working on flipping in the first place is the "Do You Even Flip" tag that @raptron put on every challenge.  I couldn't at the time, and took it as a personal challenge to be able to even flip :D 

19 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

WhiteGhost: Becomes Assassin Guild Leader

WhiteGhost: Posts first challenge thread as GL in Warriors

WhiteGhost: Does a bunch of assassin stuff.

ron swanson GIF

19 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I can only wish to be able to flip like that! :o Maybe one day... :) 

I think it starts in your next semester of Parkour classes :P 

18 hours ago, @mu said:

Best compliment ever :D

Usually the only time he says that is when we order pizza :D 

18 hours ago, @mu said:

Yeah but you're an Assassin GL, sounds ok to me to practice guild stealth every so often :lol: I'm tempted to try it too.

I have been intentionally hopping around the various guilds to get to know more awesome nerds.  So far the only two I haven't done challenges with are the Scouts and the Rangers.

17 hours ago, RedStone said:

I'm pretty sure that's the first thing I did after getting my GL badge over at the Monks :lol:

Please all of the trampoline GIFSSSSSS!!!!! I need a trampoline gym friend to give me courage...

Are you trampolining?  I will be trying a bunch of new things this challenge at the trampoline park so gifs can totally be a thing :) (I go there when the place is deserted and one of the bored coaches offered to to teach me stuff)

7 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I got such a great visual from that list of a majestic wizard playing ukulele in his swimming trunks. 

Haha, sounds about right :D

Today I attended another meeting with the company I am considering joining so I didn't have time for a workout in the morning.  Unfortunately, I didn't really get a whole lot more clarity with regard to my thinking about the job, so I really need to sit down and do a proper pro/con analysis.  The founder has been really pitching me hard to get me to join, so I need to decide soon what I am going to do.

After the meeting, I stopped on the way home and bought some electricity for the church (another item checked off the list) and then got home just shortly before Ghostlet got back from school.  I made him some dumplings for dinner and then we played sword fighting with our foam swords for an hour or so until he got tired and went to go read his book.

• Like 6
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On 6/24/2019 at 6:20 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Based on those, my program is what I call 5x5x5 and it consists of 5 sets of 5 reps of 5 lifts

Squats  (90)

Bench  (55)

Deadlifts*  (160)

BB OHP  (35)

DB Curls  (16)

In addition to my 5 lifts, I finish off with 3 muscleup accessory lifts, still continuing with the 5x5 format:

LPD (Chest to waist)  (23.5)

BB Bent Over Row  (55)

Pullups  (bodyweight)

On 6/24/2019 at 10:49 AM, Mike Wazowski said:
  1. Do you get really fatigued doing that many main lifts in a workout? Most I've usually seen in a beginner program is three of the main lifts, and even then fatigue can get challenging.

phew! my question as well. how long does this giant workout take you??

also hi! you know i love a good with doctor on my team ;) 

• Like 2

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

42 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

phew! my question as well. how long does this giant workout take you??

also hi! you know i love a good with doctor on my team ;) 

It takes me just under 2 hours, including a 15 minute warmup

Witch doctor is definitely going to join the party as soon as I think through exactly what the goals will be :) 

• Like 1

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

I think it starts in your next semester of Parkour classes :P 

l DO really want to take the free running class next term! 

I made him some dumplings for dinner and then we played sword fighting with our foam swords for an hour or so until he got tired and went to go read his book.

Hah well done for outplaying your kid! :lol:

• Like 1
On 6/26/2019 at 9:31 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Are you trampolining?  I will be trying a bunch of new things this challenge at the trampoline park so gifs can totally be a thing :) (I go there when the place is deserted and one of the bored coaches offered to to teach me stuff)

I'm not and it seems like a damn crime that i'm not. We have a bounce location kind of nearby I'd like to check out!

• Like 1

A new player has joined my party

On 6/24/2019 at 6:19 PM, WhiteGhost said:

4. Witch Doctor

diablo 3 character GIF

The Witch Doctor uses primal supernatural powers to thwart evil and destroy the minions of the dark

To level up my Witch Doctor, I need to focus on two separate aspects of food: cooking and protein intake.

Cooking - make 3 homemade meals each week, at least one of which should be Chinese

Tracking - I feel like I am not getting enough protein.  For this I need to make sure I am eating at least 1 meat dish, 2 eggs, and a protein shake every day.  I can earn magical items by posting pictures and recipes of the food I make.

Food is now an official part of the challenge :) 

On 6/27/2019 at 1:21 AM, Mad Hatter said:

l DO really want to take the free running class next term! 

Hah well done for outplaying your kid! :lol:

RUN FREEEEEEEEEE!!! :) 

I was pretty impressed with myself :D 

9 hours ago, RedStone said:

I'm not and it seems like a damn crime that i'm not. We have a bounce location kind of nearby I'd like to check out!

Well, if you do go check it out let me know.  We can be tramp buddies :) 

So I finally got around to doing some warrior stuff today :)

In the morning a friend needed someone to talk to (he is living alone in Beijing and just found out that he is pre-diabetic and needed to talk to someone about it) so I went over to his place first thing in the morning.  This meant that I didn't make it to the gym until after 11, which meant that there were a lot more people than usual.  On the one hand, it meant I had to wait for about 20 minutes to use the only squat rack, but on the other hand I got too see other people working out and realized that NOBODY follows the stupid rules about maximum weight (did I mention the gym has a rule that you are not allowed to lift more than 90kgs for any lift???) so I suspect the "no deadlift" rule will be equally unenforced.  Regular deadlifts are totally happening next week :D 

I had to change up the normal rder of things because of the line for the squat rack, but I still got in all of my lifts (Bolded numbers are new PRs)

Squats:  70  70  70  80  80 (I went a little lower on these so I could film my form)

Bench:  50  55  60  60  60

Deads:  150  160  170*  170  170

OHP:  40 40**  35  35  35

DB Curls (R/L):  16/12  16/12  14/12  14/12  14/14

LPD:  23.5  23.5  20  20  20

BB Bent Over Row:  50  55  60  60  55

Pullups:  Bodyweight 5x5 

* I started doing these facing towards the machine which was a bit more difficult so I could only do 2 at 170.  The remaining sets were facing away from the machine

** I only got 4 reps of this

I took videos of my squats and bench, but the video for the bench didn't come out, so all I have to share for today are squats (I can't access Youtube to upload video so GIFs only).  Do any of you experienced lifters see anything wonky going on that I need to fix in my squats?

giphy.gif

Animated GIF

After the gym, I came back and did the Hip Extension module for MyFlex.  I am pretty sure I sweat more doing MyFlex than I did during my workout at the gym...

In the afternoon I played some soccer with Ghostlet out in the yard and then came back and made 京酱肉丝 (Beijing style pork) for dinner.

2qmbzM8.jpg

Spoiler

Recipe:

Marinate 250g of pork strips with 1 tsp corm starch, 1 tsp cooking wine and 1 tsp salt

Chop up 1 cucumber and about 2 inches of leek into slivers

Chop up about a finger of ginger into slices

Combine 1 tbsp water with 2 tbsp Tianmian Sauce (甜面酱 aka Peking duck sauce)

Heat up 1 tbsp of oil in a wok and when it gets hot add the ginger until it starts to brown

Remove the ginger and throw in the pork, cooking until thoroughly browned

Pour in the tiammian sauce and reduce heat to a simmer until sauce is almost completely reduced

Spread cucumbers and leeks on a plate, and cover with the pork

• Like 11

Level 2 Ninja

Re: squats.  You're coming forward some onto the balls of your feet.  Note your bar path.  Try to keep the bar over your midfoot. 

You look long-legged.  Widening your stance a touch more might help you manage the bar path.  Test it on some warm-up sets and see how it goes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

26 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

NOBODY follows the stupid rules about maximum weight (did I mention the gym has a rule that you are not allowed to lift more than 90kgs for any lift???) so I suspect the "no deadlift" rule will be equally unenforced.  Regular deadlifts are totally happening next week :D 

Wuuuut. What kind of a rule is that. Tell them they can have your 170kg+ deadlift if they can TAKE IT OFF YOU with a double overhand grip.

28 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Food is now an official part of the challenge :) 

27 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

(Beijing style pork) for dinner.

I need to know more about these home-made chinese meals. Wait, we need more details. Was the leek cooked? Are you eating raw leek? Is that allowed? Is it advisable?

• Like 3

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

7 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

did I mention the gym has a rule that you are not allowed to lift more than 90kgs for any lift???

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Found you! I kept checking the Assassins and was confused why you hadn't posted yet.

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

8 hours ago, Hazard said:

Re: squats.  You're coming forward some onto the balls of your feet.  Note your bar path.  Try to keep the bar over your midfoot. 

You look long-legged.  Widening your stance a touch more might help you manage the bar path.  Test it on some warm-up sets and see how it goes.

Thanks, I will give that a try

8 hours ago, Harriet said:

Wuuuut. What kind of a rule is that. Tell them they can have your 170kg+ deadlift if they can TAKE IT OFF YOU with a double overhand grip.

#doubleoverhand4lyfe

8 hours ago, Harriet said:

Was the leek cooked? Are you eating raw leek? Is that allowed? Is it advisable?

No, yes, yes, very much yes

Leeks (at least the Chinese variation) are essentially just scallions of unusual size.  Raw leeks are a key ingredient in many Beijing style dishes, including Peking Duck

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

giphy.gif

I know, right?

15 minutes ago, fleaball said:

Found you! I kept checking the Assassins and was confused why you hadn't posted yet.

I sneak around other people's guilds like some kind of assassin :ph34r:

• Like 3

Level 2 Ninja

Following!

Loved the gifs!

• Like 1

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

8 hours ago, zenLara said:

Following!

Loved the gifs!

Yay, happy to have you here :) 

Today started out with a trip to the park for my muscleup/handstand workout.  I only did 4-5 handstands but I was really happy with the duration & stability.  I feel like recently I am getting to the point where endurance, rather than balance, is my limiting factor.  Muscleups did not go quite as well.  The problem I am having is that my biggest limiting factor for muscleup training is my hands.  The calluses build up so fast that even if I have filed them down completely the day before, by about 15 minutes into the workout they start to get painful again.  I get so that I can't hang on to the bar from the pinched calluses way before I get to the kind of muscle exhaustion needed to build strength.  I need to figure something out to keep my hands from hurting so much.  I did also do some giants and kips while I was there because I can.

When I got back, I did my shoulder module for MyFlex and then spent most of the afternoon playing Diablo with Ghostlet again.  I really enjoy these father/son gaming sessions.

Food was not great, though.  It started out normally with 2 eggs and a banana for breakfast, a protein shake for a pre-lunch snack, but then I ended up skipping lunch and having pizza for dinner.  Pretty sure that even with a whole 9-inch meatlover pizza, I am probably low on protein for the day.

I didn't do anything from my to-do list

• Like 6

Level 2 Ninja

23 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Yay for handstand progress! I have to say though that since you’re so frickin’ strong I’d look more towards improving the technique/alignment aspect more than anything else because I don’t think endurance should be a big deal for you at this point.

Well, there's strong and then there's strong.  The strength I lack most right now is the core/glutes/stabilizer muscles and fingers/wrists - the small muscles that maintain balance.  Maybe that's what you mean when you say alignment, but all I know is that it is way more tiring trying to handstand unsupported than leaning against something.  

21 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

YAY for handstand and lifting progress - that gym rule is silly, I'm kind of glad to hear that everyone ignores it a bit!

Yep, I had been ignoring it for my deadlifts, and none of my other lifts are past the limit yet (but squats are close!).  I am going to try doing real deadlifts next time I am there :) 

Today was a really busy day.  Ghostlet has finals starting from next Tuesday so these few days are cram time.  He spent most of the day doing homework/reviewing for his tests and while he was doing that I was working on checking things off my To Do List.  

On 6/24/2019 at 6:19 PM, WhiteGhost said:
  • Revise legal contract for partnership
  • Withdraw cash from bank
  • Buy new swimsuits for Ghostlet and me
  • Buy air conditioning unit [Did my research and decided that the A/C units are not going to solve the problem.  Need to check some stuff tomorrow and make a revised plan
  • Purchase Electricity
  • Plan US trip (Including booking/reserving tickets, cars & hotels) [First half planned & booked]
  • Do at least 1 sketching session
  • Practice ukulele at least once
  • Prepare Pro/Con analysis for job offer 
  • Get a haircut [Tomorrow]

In addition to these things I also built a simple financial model for this company/job/thing

My friend has started her own company and really wants me to join as her partner.  The business plan is solid and it will be profitable from day one, but I am not sure I really want to get involved for a whole bunch of very complicated reasons.  While I am thinking about it, I am helping her out with some of the urgent things she needs done, like financial & legal stuff that she doesn't have the background for (and doesn't have anyone else as a backup yet if I don't join.

In the evening Ghostlet had swimming lessons so as usual I went and swam for an hour while he did his lesson.  I was very pleased to discover that I can do the butterfly stroke now.  I learned it in high school but could never get it smooth enough to actually get anywhere with it.  I tried it today and for some reason it seems to have clicked into place somehow.  Because I can, I went ahead and did a few 4x25 IMs (Individual Medleys) which I haven't attempted since high school.  Very excited about this unexpected win :) 

• Like 6

Level 2 Ninja

11 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Well, there's strong and then there's strong.  The strength I lack most right now is the core/glutes/stabilizer muscles and fingers/wrists - the small muscles that maintain balance.  Maybe that's what you mean when you say alignment, but all I know is that it is way more tiring trying to handstand unsupported than leaning against something.  

Your core and glutes are waaaaaay stronger than they need to be for handstands, all that's needed is very minimal engagement. But building up endurance in the fingers and wrists and shoulders is for sure a thing.

What I mean by alignment is how stacked your joints are. The more stacked they are the more efficient the handstand and the less strength it requires. Efficiency will also be determined by how good your balance is of course - if you have to make large corrections then the shoulders etc will have to work really hard to come back to balance. Maybe it's that that's causing you to get tired early? I'm only suggesting to look into technique and alignment since I know that you're super strong and handstands should (eventually) not be such a strengthy move. :) 

19 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

I tried it today and for some reason it seems to have clicked into place somehow.

That's really cool!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

My friend has started her own company and really wants me to join as her partner.  The business plan is solid and it will be profitable from day one, but I am not sure I really want to get involved for a whole bunch of very complicated reasons.

You mentioned this before when you weren't sure, I guess you've decided now? What is the business?

• Like 1

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

On 6/27/2019 at 9:03 AM, WhiteGhost said:

On the one hand, it meant I had to wait for about 20 minutes to use the only squat rack, but on the other hand I got too see other people working out and realized that NOBODY follows the stupid rules about maximum weight (did I mention the gym has a rule that you are not allowed to lift more than 90kgs for any lift???) so I suspect the "no deadlift" rule will be equally unenforced.  Regular deadlifts are totally happening next week :D 

For the first time ever in the history of lifting, going to an over-crowed gym has yielded something positive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29

15 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Ghostlet has finals starting from next Tuesday so these few days are cram time

When does school end there? July!? Doesn't it get too hot to be at school?

15 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I was working on checking things off my To Do List.  

You did a lot. How did the sketching go?

• Like 1

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.