• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Fonzico

Fonzico eats like a Goddess

Whoohoo! It's finally real challenge time, not just desperately grasping for the status quo!

I have very little major stuff scheduled in the next 5 weeks (hubby's birthday and a one day disc golf tournament, which are the same day) and so I decided the time is ripe to commit to actually eating super ultra crazy healthy for a bit... AKA a Whole 30.

It's been about a year and a half since my last one -I honestly thought it had been longer. I've mostly been trying to stick to keto/low carb since then (and lately, mostly failing). I do think low carb is good for me, in general, but I need to kick some bad habits and give my body a chance to heal. It's a little unhappy at the moment.

That being said, this will probably be a lowish carb W30 - I've never really cared too much for fruit, and I'm so out of the habit of eating root vegetables, I just don't really feel like I need them. Except carrots, those bad boys are totally coming back ;)

I also want to get back into yoga - there's free "yoga at the park" Mondays and Wednesdays, weather dependent.

I am thinking I'll probably add a life goal for week one, but I haven't quite decided yet, so I'm just going to start with Whole30 and yoga for now :)

Goal One: Eat only Whole 30 approved foods, June 24 - July 23.

I'm grocery shopped, and have started food prep and will continue tonight... It begins today!

Goal Two: Do yoga once a week.

(Planning to ramp this one up as we go).

Simple. Beautiful. Let's go.

• Like 7

Hey Fonz! How goes?! It's been a while. I've finally decided to come back and start back on the challenge threads! 

Looking forward to seeing you smashing these goals! 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Hey Fonz! How goes?! It's been a while. I've finally decided to come back and start back on the challenge threads! 

Looking forward to seeing you smashing these goals! 

giphy.gif
Rhia! Welcome back!

Yeah yeah yeah time to crush it!
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Fonzico said:

It's been about a year and a half since my last one -I honestly thought it had been longer.

I would have guessed shorter! When you said you were doing Whole30 it seemed like a great move...I remember you doing really well on that program. And I like your challenge title!

• Like 2

I would have guessed shorter! When you said you were doing Whole30 it seemed like a great move...I remember you doing really well on that program. And I like your challenge title!
I actually went back and reread my challenge from the last one! It was good while I was on it, but went quickly downhill afterwards...
Hopefully I can learn from that and do better this time! I need to reflect on it.

And thanks! I want to frame this in terms of treating myself really incredibly well, not as deprivation or punishment.
  • Like 2

Week Zero Day One:

Whole 30 - did the thing!

Breakfast: raw veggies, dip and chicken thighs

Lunch: chicken/asparagus/tomato/marinated red onion salad

Dinner: stuffed peppers, blueberries, club soda

65b63d35c8e9a583ddfe67c7010ff03a.jpg

No yoga today. I'll go Wednesday if it's nice, if not, I'll do something at home. Eventually.

I prepped meatloaf muffins to be frozen, and made a batch of mayo. I'd say I'm decently prepared at this point.

I still have leftover chicken thighs plus a couple of the peppers for tomorrow.

Ooh! And I have a 4 day weekend coming up, Friday-Monday!

I'm very excited.

John asked me what my plans are (he'll be gone until Sunday evening).

I said "so much, and yet so very very little"

I do want to get some housework/yardwork done, but I also very much am looking forward to being lazy. It's going to be great.

• Like 5

sounds like some of my days when DH is gone. This last trip, I organized the poop out of our closets and purged a bunch of crap I’d accumulated but didn’t actually care about.

And I cleaned the kitchen cabinets. Sorta organized the pantry too, but there’s so little room there it’s been hard.

Whoo hoo on the return to W30!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

sounds like some of my days when DH is gone. This last trip, I organized the poop out of our closets and purged a bunch of crap I’d accumulated but didn’t actually care about.

And I cleaned the kitchen cabinets. Sorta organized the pantry too, but there’s so little room there it’s been hard.

Whoo hoo on the return to W30!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yesssss! It's much easier to purge when he's not around to argue, and I am so sick of repeatedly having to rebut the whole "but I might use it eventually, someday, for some purpose I can't anticipate!" argument.

And he won't even notice ;)
  • Like 2

Whole 30 sounds great!!! Good luck x
Thanks! It is kind of wonderful, in a militant sort of way.
It's gonna make me feel reaaaaaal good though.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Fonzico said:

Ooh! And I have a 4 day weekend coming up, Friday-Monday!

I'm very excited.

John asked me what my plans are (he'll be gone until Sunday evening).

I said "so much, and yet so very very little"

I do want to get some housework/yardwork done, but I also very much am looking forward to being lazy. It's going to be great.

So, yeah. I really don't know that I could do the Whole 30. Good on you for working through it! You've got a great start! You're an inspiration. :) 

What happened last time when you came off of the Whole 30 that caused it to go downhill? What are you going to do differently this time? 

Yay for 4 day weekend! Woot woot! You know, I try to plan weekends and vacations where I just stay home and be lazy and do nothing... It never ends up that way. It's so hard for me to do. I always end up with plans or trying to get stuff done. 

Hope your housework/yardwork doesn't take too much time so you can have plenty of lounge time! 

giphy.gif

26 minutes ago, Fonzico said:

Yesssss! It's much easier to purge when he's not around to argue, and I am so sick of repeatedly having to rebut the whole "but I might use it eventually, someday, for some purpose I can't anticipate!" argument.

And he won't even notice ;)

My husband has this argument too. I can't purge anything that's not explicitly mine because he WILL notice. He notices and then get super mad and we argue about it. It's to the point that I just have my areas that I can purge and keep clean. I try to avoid buying him anything too. Not only does he argue that he "might use it eventually" but also he is extremely sentimental and places value on things. For me, things are just things. I don't get attached to him. But I swear, touch one of his books that he hasn't looked at in 20 years and he flips out! 

giphy.gif

What happened last time when you came off of the Whole 30 that caused it to go downhill? What are you going to do differently this time? 

I tend to be totally on or totally off - moderation is hard! So I can do the Whole30 fairly easily... But I struggle to do 80%.
I am not sure what I'm going to do about it.
But I'm not going to wait until day 30 to figure it out.

(And you could totally do it, if you wanted to. :P)

Week Zero Day Two:

Whole 30: another good food day.
Breakfast: chicken thigh, veggies, dip, olives
Lunch: stuffed peppers
Dinner: breakfast! Eggs, pork side, sauteed mushrooms and roasted veggies. Omg. So good.
e9c6afaac6eeaf98aecb91d13f772781.jpg

So physically, I'm dying. (Well, I mean we all are, slowly, but you know). I pulled something in my low back/hip area last week and went to physio for it this morning and she beat the crap out of me. I know it'll help in the long run, but I hurt so much right now!
So yeah. Gentle stretching, no yoga.

Also, I found out I will not be getting the advising position (for those just tuning in, my position was reduced to half time, so I applied for 2nd part time job at the same College). Someone else who was laid off decided to take the position (it's in a different union, so I didn't have any claim to it).
It's a little sad, because now it means I'm playing the temporary contract game again in order to stay employed full time. But I do have a near-guarantee of full time hours until the end of the year and 90% until the end of next June. So I just need to find full time permanent work within the next year.

• Like 4

On 6/25/2019 at 5:07 AM, Fonzico said:

And thanks! I want to frame this in terms of treating myself really incredibly well, not as deprivation or punishment.

Let your inner goddess come out!

4 hours ago, Fonzico said:

It's a little sad, because now it means I'm playing the temporary contract game again in order to stay employed full time. But I do have a near-guarantee of full time hours until the end of the year and 90% until the end of next June. So I just need to find full time permanent work within the next year.

Good luck. Will pray and hope things work out. You've been thrown around w.r.t. jobs a lot this last year/two years.

Hope your back feels better soon, too!

• Like 1

I'm feeling somewhat better today, although my ass still feels bruised!

So, two days in and I already had my first W30 cheating dream! I dreamt I had a couple swigs of beer before remembering that it's verboten... I was so pissed that I was going to have to start over (even though it's only two days :P) and so relieved when I woke up!

I was nice to myself and packed up my food for today last night - I thought about not, but decided to be nice to future Fonzico. More of the same (chicken thighs and veggies) for breakfast, and salad (more chicken, roasted veggies and marinated onion) for lunch.

My meal plan tells me we're having spanish cauliflower rice and baked sole for dinner... Sounds good to me!

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Fonzico said:

I tend to be totally on or totally off - moderation is hard! So I can do the Whole30 fairly easily... But I struggle to do 80%.
I am not sure what I'm going to do about it.
But I'm not going to wait until day 30 to figure it out.

(And you could totally do it, if you wanted to. :P)

Ok... truth. I don't want to. :P 

I'm also an all or nothing type of person. Balance is really hard for me. We can figure something out though. What about after the whole 30 still do the whole 30 but substitute something else in for one portion? Then slowly back off of it? Slow progression instead of all or nothing. 

Week Zero Day Two:

Whole 30: another good food day.
Breakfast: chicken thigh, veggies, dip, olives
Lunch: stuffed peppers
Dinner: breakfast! Eggs, pork side, sauteed mushrooms and roasted veggies. Omg. So good.
e9c6afaac6eeaf98aecb91d13f772781.jpg

OMG that looks amaze-balls! I love it! Now I want breakfast... lol. 

So physically, I'm dying. (Well, I mean we all are, slowly, but you know). I pulled something in my low back/hip area last week and went to physio for it this morning and she beat the crap out of me. I know it'll help in the long run, but I hurt so much right now!
So yeah. Gentle stretching, no yoga.

Yowch... I hope it gets better soon! 

1 hour ago, Fonzico said:

I'm feeling somewhat better today, although my ass still feels bruised!

So, two days in and I already had my first W30 cheating dream! I dreamt I had a couple swigs of beer before remembering that it's verboten... I was so pissed that I was going to have to start over (even though it's only two days :P) and so relieved when I woke up!

I was nice to myself and packed up my food for today last night - I thought about not, but decided to be nice to future Fonzico. More of the same (chicken thighs and veggies) for breakfast, and salad (more chicken, roasted veggies and marinated onion) for lunch.

That's a funny yet sucky dream... lol. 

I have trouble being nice to my future self these days. I need to think more on those lines. Good on you! 

• Like 1

Your meals sound so good. How do you eat that sort of thing for brekkie though?! x
Well, I've never been much of a "breakfast food" person. Even as a kid, I'd usually have leftovers for breakfast. What I can't understand is how people eat sweet stuff for breakfast.
I do like eggs and bacon/sausage, but since I don't like cold or microwaved eggs, that doesn't really work for bringing food with me.

Breakfast is just another meal, after all!
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fonzico said:

Well, I've never been much of a "breakfast food" person. Even as a kid, I'd usually have leftovers for breakfast. What I can't understand is how people eat sweet stuff for breakfast.
I do like eggs and bacon/sausage, but since I don't like cold or microwaved eggs, that doesn't really work for bringing food with me.

Very true!!

Think ive been programmed to want cereal (bran flakes) !! xx

• Like 1

Ok... truth. I don't want to.  

And that's a-okay! As long as you know you COULD.

I'm also an all or nothing type of person. Balance is really hard for me. We can figure something out though. What about after the whole 30 still do the whole 30 but substitute something else in for one portion? Then slowly back off of it? Slow progression instead of all or nothing. 

I've had intentions like this in the past, but haven't been able to follow through :/

Maybe I can develop a plan that looks like how I want to eat indefinitely and commit to another 30 days, to practice without losing all the structure?

I have trouble being nice to my future self these days. I need to think more on those lines. Good on you! 

Empathy to my future self is one of my best motivators! It works so often, especially if I just tell myself "just START the task at least, you'll be so grateful to your past self later!" Most of the time, once I start doing *the good thing* I'll do more than I promised myself I had to.
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Fonzico said:

I can't do sweets for breakfast either. Every morning before I go to work I make me a couple of eggs, bacon, and have a piece of fruit with it. I can't do donuts or cereal. 

• Like 1

Week Zero Day Three:

Whole 30: still going strong.
Breakfast: chicken thigh, veggies, dip
Lunch: salad with chicken, roasted veggies and marinated onions
Dinner: baked sole, topped with almond meal and spices, avocado coleslaw and Mexican cauliflower rice.
44a5cff301e4d54a3cf649b48749bb42.jpg
So good.

I'm definitely not feeling deprived yet! All my food has been so tasty.
And I only missed the cheese a little bit last night.

Nothing much else to report - we went out to my in-laws last night, then by the time we got back, it was clean the kitchen and go to bed time.
I am very grateful to last-night-Fonzico for dealing with the kitchen though.

Today is my Friday! Am very excited.

• Like 5