• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sylvaa

[Sylvaa] Needs a Thread Title

Usually, I'm more organized (by more organized, I mean able to think of a catchy title along with some meme's or music to accompany said title), but I'm not this time. So we'll leave that alone for right now!

For new people, 5 things about Sylvaa you may or may not know:

1. I'm part gypsy, part Brady Bunch.

Spoiler

My husband and I will be celebrating our 7th wedding anniversary at the end of July. We each came to this relationship with two children, all of which now officially live with us full-time (my step-son recently made the decision to sleep at our house every night and just see his mother for visits). Now they are 18, 17, 16, and 15. We also have a 5-month old and a bf living with us ala my 17 year old daughter. 

I travel for work. Right now, I'm working in Louisville, KY, USA. I'm a medical consultant, which just means I spend a lot of time in Excel looking at numbers and trying to convince people saving money is worth it. Before I settled down, I moved around A LOT. So traveling for work has been a nice foil to buying a home and creating roots.

2. I struggle a lot with self-worth and body positivity.

Spoiler

Don't we all though? I'm 5'10" or 11" and generally weigh about 175. I'm a medium top and a size 10 pants. Depending on where you are on your journey, I might be your goal, or I might be your starting point. Don't be like me. Celebrate every win you have along the journey.

Also, I'll sometimes disparage myself or say something that might appear to be fishing for compliments. That's not the case and don't take it that way. :)

3. I've got some nerd-cred.

Spoiler

I'm an older-school MMORPG'er. I played EQ when it came out, then switched over to WoW. I've gotten away from it with some of the changes they made, but I'm anxiously waiting for WoW Classic. My original character was Sylvaa - a Tauren Druid on Mal'Ganis, but I switched over to Aavlys (I initially shared an account with an ex, who famously logged her on and deleted all of her equipment in the middle of Ogrimmar. It was actually kind of a big deal on our server at the time as both of us were in major raiding guilds on the server). I've also played all the Warcraft and Diablo games. Oh, and I'm going to Blizzcon this year. 

I'm a huge R.A. Salvatore fan. I read a ton in general, but Drizzt holds a special place in my heart.

I've recently started Dm'ing for our D&D group, which has been hilariously fun. Most of the family also plays the Pathfinder ACG together. We started Skulls and Shackles this weekend and are finding it harder than anticipated, but still worth it. 

4. I like to play in the mud

Spoiler

My quest to get healthy revolves around my love of OCR's and my desire to not suck at them. I've never really been good at sports. Passable is probably the best way to describe me (meaning, I wasn't ever picked last for gym class, but I also wasn't near the top). In 2015, I ran up and down a mountain at Palmerton. It broke me, but crossing that finish line was the most amazing thing I have ever done. 

I'm going back to Palmerton in a few weeks and I can't be more excited. 

5. I like to be creative.

Spoiler

Mainly through cooking. I like to cook theme meals and / or make elaborate desserts. I also like to write, but I don't usually share my writing. 

The month of July is pretty busy. My birthday, two weekends away from home (one for a combination paintball / Spartan weekend and one for a trip to NY for a Terrain Race). Oh, and I'm going bouldering for the first time this weekend coming up! But I need goals. 

Workout

giphy.gif

I've been doing a great job of sticking to my plan. Like, much more than I normally would be. But July is a much more crazy month and I need to be realistic. My goal is at least 4 workouts a week target, 5 as the stretch. As long as I am active for at least 30 minutes, I will count this as a workout. Races automatically count as a workout.

Food

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRX2ohWgw4b36F8IA_-GyE

I struggle more than I should with eating. When I am at home, I am involved with all of the food decisions. I buy almost everything, I plan the meals, I even do cooking (I've batch two meals for the family while I'm traveling). Yet, somehow I continuously make the decision to bring in foods that I know I can't resist and then eat them. When I am on the road, I tend to snack more than I should because there are a lot of sweets laying around. 

For this challenge go-round: 3 alcoholic drinks per week maximum, a vegetable with every meal, and 2 desserts per week maximum.

Work

I've talked before about not being satisfied with my career choice, but not feeling like I have a lot of options. Well, I've given myself some tools to create new options, yet I've not been focused enough. At least 5 tomatoes daily for work goals, then at least 2 tomatoes daily of personal development goals. I can't change things by standing still.

• Like 16

2 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRX2ohWgw4b36F8IA_-GyE

Lol, this is so real.

This seems like a very good challenge for you and I'm excited to see where it goes! 

Also - bouldering, how exciting!!! I hope you have a good time!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

Also - bouldering, how exciting!!! I hope you have a good time!

Thanks! I'd invite you, but it's 45 minutes North of me, so that's like super far for you! 

It's kind of a funny story. My husband works with this guy who is super nice, but single (by choice). Well, the one secretary has been trying to set this guy up with her niece and he told the secretary that he always goes to this place to climb, so if her niece ever wanted to meet him there, she was welcome. To which I responded (to my husband) - do you think he'd mind if I met him there? No date required! 

So he texted the guy and the guy was like absolutely! (again, super nice guy). So now we are FB friends and are probably bouldering Sunday - no date required. :D It actually works out really well. I've talked about our couple struggles with not having a lot of similar interests and then his fear of me finding someone else because of our lack of similar interests. Well, this guy is someone he trusts and he does trust me (no matter how much that previous sentence sounds like he doesn't). So I have someone else to hang out with, without my husband getting all freaked out about it. 

Also, we need to figure out if we are doing anything this month (July)! 

• Like 5

Thank you for sharing about you! I love the start to this challenge, and I know you are going to be awesome! 

I grew up taller than everyone and it wasn't until high school that people started to really catch up. I feel like tall girls are sent this message that we’re not attractive because we’re tall! But I’ve seen short girls suffer because everyone treats them like they are pocket sized lady-treats, so society just sucks at caring for its women. .

I am following along to cheer you on and remind you that you are a goddess. You got this!

• Thanks 1

Who needs a title when there's a getting to know me section of the first post? Answer - not Sylvaa. :) Following!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following along. 

I'm always happy to have the Paladin of Positivity in my threads!

16 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I grew up taller than everyone and it wasn't until high school that people started to really catch up. I feel like tall girls are sent this message that we’re not attractive because we’re tall!

It is very funny because now, both of my brothers and my son are all taller than me! So I'm only about median height in my family. :D Ironically, being tall is something that never bothered me (other than trying to find pants that fit). I always figured this was more about guys projecting short insecurities. Fun fact: the last three guys I dated (including my husband), were all shorter than me. 

5 hours ago, fleaball said:

What, no new race signups to tell us about??

I've kept pretty quiet about this. I've got the Super and Terrain in July, the Beast in August, a TM and Sprint in September, then the half in October. I think that might be it. I've just been quietly adding races to my calendar recently. We'll see. 

4 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

O HAI THERE!

giphy.gif

38 minutes ago, annyshay said:

Who needs a title when there's a getting to know me section of the first post? Answer - not Sylvaa. :) Following!

I do what I want! 

Speaking of what I want. Yesterday, I took a whole rest day! Instead of my regular early am flight, I was on an evening flight. My plane was delayed about half an hour and it was 10 pm until I was in the hotel. So I knew my only hope for a workout was early am. Which was not happening. Tonight is a BRICK workout, then tomorrow is a gym day. 

And, the family (okay, 5 of us, but close enough) started the second adventure in the Pathfinder: ACG this weekend. Skulls and Shackles. It's been very fun, but much harder than the original base game. 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, fleaball said:

What, no new race signups to tell us about??

Didn't you know she's doing Ironmans now?? :P

3 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

And, the family (okay, 5 of us, but close enough) started the second adventure in the Pathfinder: ACG this weekend. Skulls and Shackles. It's been very fun, but much harder than the original base game. 

I love that you guys do this together!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/24/2019 at 10:28 AM, Sylvaa said:

I'm a huge R.A. Salvatore fan. I read a ton in general, but Drizzt holds a special place in my heart

I did not know this!! Drizzt is one of my all time favorite book characters. I've only read the Dark Elf Trilogy, but I did so....like, 15-16 years ago. I consumed all three books in like 2 weeks. I always tell myself I will re-read those one day :) 

On 6/24/2019 at 10:28 AM, Sylvaa said:

I also like to write, but I don't usually share my writing

I think you should start sharing...but that's just my personal opinion. I would love to read some of your creative endeavors ;) 

Following along because I miss your snarky intelligence and have sucked bunghole being a supportive friend as of late.

Oh, and just because I can - 

Related image

Wolf

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NeverThatBored said:

Not yet. I'm working on getting a bike and starting with a sprint distance. But you know I'm gonna do one. 

37 minutes ago, SheriffWolfpool said:

I did not know this!! Drizzt is one of my all time favorite book characters. I've only read the Dark Elf Trilogy, but I did so....like, 15-16 years ago. I consumed all three books in like 2 weeks. I always tell myself I will re-read those one day :) 

Duuuuude, there are so many other books with Drizzt as the main character too! Like for real, RA Salvatore has a bunch of trilogies around the core characters and they are all so good

Also, out of everyone, I get how much new babies make everything kind of crazy. Supportive friendship goes both ways and you've totally had more on your plate than me. Good to see you back around though!

• Like 4

Let me know if there is a d4 at blizzcon.

On 6/24/2019 at 11:28 AM, Sylvaa said:

I've talked before about not being satisfied with my career choice, but not feeling like I have a lot of options.

I remember when we met and you mentioned being stuck.  Were you taking classes then?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

I've kept pretty quiet about this. I've got the Super and Terrain in July, the Beast in August, a TM and Sprint in September, then the half in October. I think that might be it. I've just been quietly adding races to my calendar recently. We'll see. 

Apparently I need to hang around here for OCR motivation, that's quite a line-up you've got

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Teros said:

I remember when we met and you mentioned being stuck.  Were you taking classes then?

I'm not sure if that was before or after I started my masters, but I do have my MBA now. I've started taking some additional classes (for Yellow / Green Belt and CAPM) for additional knowledge. But until my husband finishes his masters, I am kind of stuck. I am still the primary salary in the house right now and I can't afford to take too much of a pay cut until he gets a better paying job (or kids move out, so I mean, in a few years we'll be fine). 

Sometimes I like my job more than others. I'm struggling with feeling under appreciated and undervalued, which hurts my desire to continue working for the company. But I also really enjoy doing different things regularly and feeling like I am making a difference (truthfully, I've seen the difference I make to a hospital's bottom line). So for now, I'm keeping on keeping on. I've got another week at home planned in July, so that should help with anything pertaining to burnout associated with the job.

9 hours ago, Maigs said:

Apparently I need to hang around here for OCR motivation, that's quite a line-up you've got

Well, when you start doing a lot of things, the Rangers start knocking, so I keep myself quiet ;) I'm really looking forward to it. The TM is new for me, so that should be fun and the half isn't as hilly as the first one I did (dude, I'm actually saying that with a straight face too!). The second TR is a benchmark for me to see improvement over the one I did a few weeks ago. And the Spartans are to get a trifecta. 

A lot of the time though, I feel like a pretender. Like, I'm not that good; I just struggle through. So it's impressive and I'll do it, but not well. 

Yesterday:

I hit all my goals. My workout was a brick workout, so I did some indoor cycling (using a fancy indoor bike that took me on a part of the Tour de France course), then ran over to Indiana (which is kind of funny). It was a 2.75 mile interval run (400m running; :30 rest x 11), so I ran next to the Ohio river, then took a bridge to the neighboring state. 

Food yesterday: Americano for breakfast, Spicy Pork Tacos with Kimchi for lunch, Chips with pico and guac (okay, that might be stretching the veggie thing, but it still counts!), bacon, and fries for dinner. I actually ate more of the chips than anything else as neither the bacon nor fries were that good. I also had a margarita and dessert (nutella puffs).

I got all but one of my personal development tomatoes done yesterday. I had planned on getting to the second one, but I ended up being more tired than anticipated by the time I got back to the hotel. It was really hot on the run and dinner service was kind of slow, so it was after 9 before I was even in my room. 

Oh! also, My Nike + app caught up with my run from the other day; I had my fastest 5K this weekend - 35:15! This is super exciting for me! 

• Like 10

57 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

Oh! also, My Nike + app caught up with my run from the other day; I had my fastest 5K this weekend - 35:15! This is super exciting for me! 

Awesome!!

• Thanks 1

On 6/25/2019 at 11:35 AM, NeverThatBored said:

On 6/25/2019 at 1:13 PM, Sylvaa said:

Not yet. I'm working on getting a bike and starting with a sprint distance. But you know I'm gonna do one. 

I will not be surprised at all if one day I see a text saying "so I accidentally signed up for an Ironman... who's coming with me?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, fleaball said:

I will not be surprised at all if one day I see a text saying "so I accidentally signed up for an Ironman... who's coming with me?"

I also see you going "I totally have time to train for an Ironman!" :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

I also see you going "I totally have time to train for an Ironman!" :D 

"It's in 2 weeks? Yeah I can totally learn to ride a bike by then. Nbd."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm struggling with feeling under appreciated and undervalued

I know this feeling in my core. You see what's happening to teachers in this country, especially in my state. 

I had my fastest 5K this weekend - 35:15! This is super exciting for me!

Well done! When I was running mostly roads, my fastest was just over 28 minutes in a very flat neighborhood. I did it by throwing in some 10-15 second sprints about every 5 minutes. 

Your thread should be called "Totally Accidentally Training For An Ironman."

Following!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1