Mike Wazowski: When to Try HARD, and when to chillll

giphy.gif

Hey y'all!!

Piggybacking on last challenge, I'm working on trying really hard in a couple areas but only to a manageable volume, then letting myself be human the rest of the time and chill out, doing just the bare minimum. I'm taking inspiration from the Harry Potter books for a theme, specifically, sorting my goals into Hermione, Ron, and Harry categories (I'd love to focus on the Puffs instead, but they just don't get distinct enough personalities in the books for me to do much with it). 

I'll be playing around with a points-based challenge with swag TBD if I do well. There's 125 points possible by my count (might be off by 1 or 2), so I'll set the swag threshold at 100 for now.

Hermione:

giphy.gif

The know it all, diligent worker - who also can work herself into the ground if she's not careful

• Commit to 1 concrete thing I'll accomplish each work day, then do my best to do the thing (1 point / day, 24 points possible)
  • Finish summer semester lesson plans for my dance kids (10 points if completed, ideally in the next two weeks)
  • Grad school work, 6+ days / week, 30+ minutes / day (30 points possible) - the unspoken goal is to stay 1-2 weeks ahead of the scheduled due dates, but if things start getting noticeably harder and I'm just keeping up, I'll be OK with that (I should have zero trouble passing this course no matter what)
  • 7.5+ hours allocated to sleep per night, 8.5+ on Fri / Sat nights (35 points possible - because resting up is necessary to be able to work hard)
  • (Unscored) I'll still be training hard in the dance studio and teaching kiddos - the goal is for sleep to be the only thing I work on that affects that affects my dance performance this challenge, besides lesson planning

Ron:

giphy.gif

Mostly doing the bare minimum - really just an excuse to give myself points 

• 1 x strength training / week (consistent with what I've been doing) (5 points possible)
  • 1 x prehab / pilates / week (also consistent) (5 points possible)
  • Bonus points for any extra sessions or handstand play
  • (Unscored) I'll be taking a bare minimum approach with things like cleaning, laundry, and meal prep - as long as my life keeps on ticking along with food to eat, clothes to wear, and not saying "YUCK" when I look around my home, it's a success

Harry:

giphy.gif

Bumbling around and moving the plot along - this is me giving myself a pat on the back for doing some required things and some small, optional projects that I'd like to wrap up

Points for finishing any of these little projects and tasks related to moving in or sorting out some little things: (16 points possible)

Spoiler
  • Hang blackboard in room
  • Wall mount TV
  • Get floor lamp for living room
  • Move art panels over to make room for lamp
  • Put slide pads on living room furniture
  • Car trunk of stuff to friend
  • Update voter registration
  • Label pantry containers
  • Drive to faraway gym and cancel membership
  • Set up smart lights
  • Get allergist receipt and save for long term
  • Doctor 7/5
  • Haircut 7/15-ish
  • Get watch repaired
  • Make dessert bars for a friend's birthday party
  • Have friends over for a housewarming and/or pool party

• Like 9

Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

I LOVE this theme!

Also love you acknowledging that, while you can in fact do a LOT (and regularly do), you cannot do everything. At least not all at the same time. Such a hard thing to admit out loud, but exhaustion is too high a price!

giphy.gif

• Like 4

“Writing is thinking. To write well is to think clearly. That's why it's so hard."

-David McCullough

2018 Walk to Mordor

2018 Read Harder Challenge                                                                                                                                        

2018 Level-Up Plans                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Battle Log

Yup, the theme is pretty solid. The Harry category is spot-on in all regards: bumbling but necessary, and so on.

Also did you ever notice how swole Ron got by the last movie? Weight lifting is definitely his category.

I too lament the lack of 'Puff action, but I guess there your options are like, get murdered, aaaand, ???

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Stay awhile... we're liftin'

13 minutes ago, Gemma said:

I LOVE this theme!

Also love you acknowledging that, while you can in fact do a LOT (and regularly do), you cannot do everything. At least not all at the same time. Such a hard thing to admit out loud, but exhaustion is too high a price!

giphy.gif

Yes, we're very much trying to avoid begging Dumbledore for a time-turner this go-around. It doesn't end well for anyone except Buckbeak. And the slow descent into exhaustion is too high a price, albeit one I've paid far too often for my own good.

11 minutes ago, Deckard Gainz said:

Yup, the theme is pretty solid. The Harry category is spot-on in all regards: bumbling but necessary, and so on.

Yuuup - it's like all Harry does is find creative ways to keep the plot moving, haha.

Also did you ever notice how swole Ron got by the last movie? Weight lifting is definitely his category.

I didn't - but I do remember Neville suddenly being far more jacked in the last movie.

I too lament the lack of 'Puff action, but I guess there your options are like, get murdered, aaaand, ???

Exactly. Murdered, or background character with...maybe a handful of lines. Or I start referencing the off-broadway play (not Cursed Child) that wasn't officially licensed by JKR and found creative ways to still make an homage to her work, haha.

Fellow Puff here, following along to do what Puffs do, which is support one another.

1030545_1.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

3 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

giphy.gif

This is... perturbing yet mesmerising... I can't look away... 

Anyway, excellent decision to go hard on some things and go minimum effective dose on others. 

(Unscored) I'll be taking a bare minimum approach with things like cleaning, laundry, and meal prep - as long as my life keeps on ticking along with food to eat, clothes to wear, and not saying "YUCK" when I look around my home, it's a success

I like this. Very zen. Very wise. Totally adequate. 

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

44 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Agreed! Once I saw it, I couldn't *not* use it.

Anyway, excellent decision to go hard on some things and go minimum effective dose on others. 

To quote a wise @Gemma - strategy is great. Execution is even better. Here's hoping I achieve both!

I like this. Very zen. Very wise.

:D

Totally adequate. 

Totally adequate. New slogan / target for most of my life!

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Fellow Puff here, following along to do what Puffs do, which is support one another.

1030545_1.jpg

LOVE THIS IMAGE!! And don't think I've seen it before (maybe during an assassin mini I ghosted halfway through - whoops!).

3 hours ago, Deckard Gainz said:

I was actually going to make the comment that it should've been Neville's. Good call. His glow up was definitely more significant.

Ah sweet - here I thought I totally missed something!

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Excited to see this!

:D excited to have you along for the ride!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Piggybacking on last challenge, I'm working on trying really hard in a couple areas but only to a manageable volume, then letting myself be human the rest of the time and chill out

• Commit to 1 concrete thing I'll accomplish each work day, then do my best to do the thing (1 point / day, 24 points possible)
  • I'll be taking a bare minimum approach with things

I really respect this approach. I was just complaining at @Br0din about the epidemic of busyness and the hustle of modern work life. Like, we're not worth our spit unless we're busy ALL. THE. TIME. I'm just not into that biz. Here for your chillin while also living and gettin the stuff done! It can be done. No back breaking required. 

5 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Dang skippy. We know how to prioritize.

giphy.gif

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Harriet said:

giphy.gif

Yes. My brain hurts now.

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

2 hours ago, RedStone said:

I really respect this approach. I was just complaining at @Br0din about the epidemic of busyness and the hustle of modern work life. Like, we're not worth our spit unless we're busy ALL. THE. TIME. I'm just not into that biz. Here for your chillin while also living and gettin the stuff done! It can be done. No back breaking required. 

Man, if we could summon @Br0din back to the wonderful world of challenge posting that would be awesome.

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Another Hufflepuff here to join the crew 

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

giphy.gif

Lol @  your summation of Harry. :D

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

14 hours ago, RedStone said:

Ooh love it! Hadn't even thought of the connection to the cult of busyness - but it's totally apt and a thing I'm very guilty of falling into!

14 hours ago, RedStone said:

Dang skippy. We know how to prioritize.

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Another Hufflepuff here to join the crew 

ALL the puff love y'all!

giphy.gif

14 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

Yes. My brain hurts now.

I do really want to know what artistic statement the person who edited that together was making - the possibilities are so open!

12 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Man, if we could summon @Br0din back to the wonderful world of challenge posting that would be awesome.

I think he's currently in the middle of an 18-year challenge. It's a really long timeframe, and I've heard the swag is kinda expensive, though most people find it rewarding.

10 minutes ago, raptron said:

giphy.gif

Always. But hopefully not someday soon.

10 minutes ago, raptron said:

Lol @  your summation of Harry. :D

:D but really, it's like half of his role was to get into bad situations so Hermione could rescue him (I think it's clear who's my favorite of the 3).

Week 0, Day 1 Update:

Pretty solid day - woke up kinda late and had a pretty meh day at work, but I got the bare minimum done that I needed to in order to stay above water and that's enough for the day. Took a lunch break to work on grad school and PLOWED through my project for the unit - went from having less than 40% of the points to having 97% of the points in about 45 minutes of working. Also re-wrote some strength programming for myself (with at most 2 strength days a week as the new plan) and some for a couple friends who are just dipping their toes in at an apartment gym. Taught a chaotic but good set of dance classes (first day with the new kiddos for ballroom - and only one was there :lol: - but it was fun to change things up and experiment with working a new topic). And finished the evening with a pretty decent dance practice - not our strongest by any means, partly because I didn't warm up thoroughly post teaching (and I never get a chance to warm up before teaching) and partly because my mindset was a little screwy. When I got home, I finished the last bit of my project, then I was waaaaaaay too excited to read my syllabus dance books and start learning how to put together cool book-based choreo for my collegiate kids - I don't have any official choreo responsibilities, but I'll be doing my best to influence that process as best I can. I was up prettyyyyy late for a work night, but I had already set my alarm later than usual so I still had 7 hours for sleep - giving myself a half point there since it's zero week.

Gonna keep weekly totals, then a running total after week 0:

Hermione:

• Work Day 1 Thing: 1/5
  • Lesson Planning: 0/10
  • Grad school work: 2/6
  • Sleeeeep: 0.5/7
  • Training hard: YUP

Ron:

• Strength: 0/1
  • Prehab / pilates: 0/1

Harry: 1/X this week (not defining X - as I realize other things need to get done, I'm just adding to the list - my challenge, my rules :P)

Spoiler
  • Wall mount TV
  • Set up smart lights
  • Doctor 7/5
  • Haircut 7/15-ish
  • Get watch repaired
  • Make appointment for stuff pick up
  • Make second doctor's appointment for testing
  • Go to second doctor's appointment?
  • Be present for stuff pick up?
  • Like 6

Another Hufflepuff rides the bus :D Are we all Hufflepuffs?

On 6/24/2019 at 6:41 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

letting myself be human the rest of the time and chill out, doing just the bare minimum

:lol:

• Haha 2

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

16 minutes ago, @mu said:

Apparently I attract hufflepuffs the way Draco attracts dimwitted henchmen?

16 minutes ago, @mu said:

:lol:

:lol: so hard for so many of us, isn't it?

Forgot to post about this earlier - it's time for some thinking about SWAG. The good news, is my life is already really great in a lot of ways. The bad news is, that leaves very little swag options that'll really make a difference, especially while I'm trying to be frugal and prep for an impending, potentially expensive end of summer car upgrade (in August I'll take it in and find out if it really needs the $1,500 repair the dealership claimed it did to pass a state inspection).

BUT I narrowed it down to a couple things (cumulative, :

• 50 points or more: Upgrade my dish drying rack that's gotten very sad and corroded over its 4 years of service (this is really just me justifying a $20 purchase I'd hopefully make anyhow but feel a little bit of midwestern housewife guilt because my old one can TECHNICALLY still be used)
  • 75 points or more: Make a brunch date with myself, where I go to a nice coffee shop or breakfast restaurant with a book and just read for as long as I'd like - no worries about obligations or errands and phone just playing background music
  • 100 points or more: (still debating this one) A SUPER LOUD pair of dance shoes, just for fun (and because I think it'd be funny to be the teacher with the loud shoes)

Oh, and one more thing to add to the to-do list to move the plot along: I should figure out how to program my thermostat, so I don't need to remember to adjust it on the fly when I leave and get home every day. Yay, even more points I can pick up!

• Like 4

t's like half of his role was to get into bad situations so Hermione could rescue him (I think it's clear who's my favorite of the 3).

Maybe "damsel fledgling wizard in distress" was his dating strategy. :D 

I was waaaaaaay too excited to read my syllabus dance books and start learning how to put together cool book-based choreo for my collegiate kids

You are adorable.

1 hour ago, @mu said:

I'm a Gryff, but WHO DOESN'T LOVE A HUFFLEPUFF? You guys are made to love and be loved.

54 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

BUT I narrowed it down to a couple things (cumulative, :

• 50 points or more: Upgrade my dish drying rack that's gotten very sad and corroded over its 4 years of service (this is really just me justifying a $20 purchase I'd hopefully make anyhow but feel a little bit of midwestern housewife guilt because my old one can TECHNICALLY still be used)
  • 75 points or more: Make a brunch date with myself, where I go to a nice coffee shop or breakfast restaurant with a book and just read for as long as I'd like - no worries about obligations or errands and phone just playing background music
  • 100 points or more: (still debating this one) A SUPER LOUD pair of dance shoes, just for fun (and because I think it'd be funny to be the teacher with the loud shoes)

These are very cute rewards. 

• Like 2

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

These are amazing. I demand you get 100+ points so I can see you in them!

DKwTO3dm.png

• Like 4

OH EM GEE THOSE SHOOOEEESSSS!!! I actually have still been eyeballing them XD.  I ended up getting plain black practice ones back then but I still want those art ones bad, and I've been dancing so much I'm tearing through my black ones.  We could match! :P Hope you get 100 points hahah

• Like 1
6 hours ago, raptron said:

Maybe "damsel fledgling wizard in distress" was his dating strategy. :D 

:D it....sorta worked? Lol, teenage girls (and boys) sometimes make terrible choices with who they date, so that part of the books is 110% believable.

You are adorable.

:takes a bow: I try, I try! It's the only way someone

I'm a Gryff, but WHO DOESN'T LOVE A HUFFLEPUFF? You guys are made to love and be loved.

<3 <3

These are very cute rewards. 

Doin' what I can! Honestly, a breakfast date with myself and a book sounds kinda magical, I might try to make it a monthly tradition if I like it.

6 hours ago, RedStone said:

These are amazing. I demand you get 100+ points so I can see you in them!

DKwTO3dm.png

OK!!! If my sensei demands it, I'll make it happen! Cause I can move mountains to avoid disappointing people.

5 hours ago, Raxie said:

OH EM GEE THOSE SHOOOEEESSSS!!! I actually have still been eyeballing them XD.  I ended up getting plain black practice ones back then but I still want those art ones bad, and I've been dancing so much I'm tearing through my black ones.  We could match! :P Hope you get 100 points hahah

YUSSSSSSSSS DOOOOOOO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTT!!!!

Also HI HI HI WELCOME BACK!!!  Glad to have my fellow ballroom dancing nerd back here. HUGS!

Week 0, Day 2: Pretty solid and chillllll Tuesday - worked at a nice relaxed clip and enjoyed being 100% caught up and worked ahead on grad school assignments (as in, I'm done with everything they've released so far). Didn't get my committed task done, but I made big progress and it was bigger than expected so I'm still calling that a win. Taught a pretty solid set of dance classes - including dragging little kids through the math that connects timing to rhythm to beat value - but they'll get it eventually, the adults still struggle with it. Went to Trader Joe's and picked up fixings for the dessert bars I'm planning to make for a pool party this weekend, so now I'm committed cause I hate food waste. Got home, had carrot cake cookies and milk for dinner (#adulting) and threw my socks on to play with some dance stuff for funsies - ended up mostly experimenting with how ballroom info like swing and sway could apply to some turns in samba and it was a fun crossover. Then I dimmed the lights, curled up in bed and started reading a bit of "Tales of the City" (first book in the series that inspired the Netflix show of the same name).

Hermione:

• Work Day 1 Thing: 2/5
  • Lesson Planning: 0/10
  • Grad school work: 2/6
  • Sleeeeep: 1.5/7
  • Training hard: YUP

Ron:

• Strength: 0/1
  • Prehab / pilates: 0/1

Harry: 2

Spoiler
  • Wall mount TV
  • Program thermostat for the summer
  • Set up smart lights
  • Doctor 7/5
  • Haircut 7/15-ish
  • Get watch repaired
  • Make appointment for stuff pick up
  • Make second doctor's appointment for testing
  • Go to second doctor's appointment?
  • Be present for stuff pick up 7/4
  • Take old phone to Apple for recycling
  • Recycle rest of old electronics kicking around unused
  • Write strength training program for friends

• Like 7

Love those shoes!  

1 hour ago, Mike Wazowski said:

had carrot cake cookies and milk for dinner

If I had any carrot cake, I would probably have it for dinner too

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

1 hour ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Taught a pretty solid set of dance classes - including dragging little kids through the math that connects timing to rhythm to beat value

Got home, had carrot cake cookies and milk for dinner (#adulting)

1. There's maths in dance????

2. Adulting is doing whatever you want because there's no-one telling you otherwise. That's what adulting is, right? Video games forever!!! 

• Like 2

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

oh hullo! love the challenge and the brunch rewards idea <3

I'm a ravenclaw but perfectly happy to love on some hufflepuffs :lol:

• Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current