Mike Wazowski: When to Try HARD, and when to chillll

34 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Love those shoes!  

If I had any carrot cake, I would probably have it for dinner too

Great minds think alike. :) This was arguably even better, Trader Joe's (funky grocer here in the states) sells inside out carrot cake cookies - basically a big cookie sandwich with the cream cheese frosting as the filling.

30 minutes ago, Harriet said:

1. There's maths in dance????

Very limited - mostly dealing with fractions from 1/4 to 1, by 1/4's - and by 1/8 increments for specified amounts of turn. The struggle was real in getting them to realize that something counted "2 3 4& 1" meant beat values of 1 1 1/2 1/2 1 for their 5 steps. But baby steps for the kiddos.

30 minutes ago, Harriet said:

2. Adulting is doing whatever you want because there's no-one telling you otherwise. That's what adulting is, right? Video games forever!!! 

Totally. Adulting is recognizing that you can choose to do whatever you like, and just dealing with the consequences well later, after the fact.

• Like 2

Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

Ravenclaw but WANT TO BE Hufflepuff!

Love the shooooes! Get all the points!

2 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Totally. Adulting is recognizing that you can choose to do whatever you like, and just dealing with the consequences well later, after the fact.

Exactly. You can also choose NOT to deal with the consequences. :P 

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I have it on good authority the sorting hat will take your preference into account if you speak up for yourself. You know us Puffs will accept you in.

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

6 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I have it on good authority the sorting hat will take your preference into account if you speak up for yourself. You know us Puffs will accept you in.

You could also just drink heavily before the sorting and see if the alcohol disguises the cleverness?

...I recognize that in this scenario, I'm talking about an 11-year-old drinking *heavily*.

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

oh hullo! love the challenge and the brunch rewards idea <3

<3 I'm a fan! It just sorta popped into my head and I think it's perfect. Plus there's a new LGBT friendly Christian hippie coffee shop opening down the street from me - trying it out as a brunch reward might be perfect!

3 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

I'm a ravenclaw but perfectly happy to love on some hufflepuffs :lol:

42 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I used to be in denial of my puffiness too. :P

#doinitfortheshoes :D

Haha or that - though sometimes the consequences deal with you? :P

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

If it involves taxes then they will 100% deal with you. :P 

Taxes, recurring injuries, other people, not paying rent. All deal with you at some point. :P

18 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Sounds like a worthy experiment. For science.

giphy.gif

Week 0, Day 3: Another nice, low key day. There are some fire drills going on at work, but I'm taking a "this, too, shall pass" approach with them and doing my best not to get worked up. Things are breaking, I'll do my best to fix them - but panicking helps no one and doesn't add anything. Teaching dance went well - I'm starting to get better rapport with my baby Latin class, and slowly getting a feel for what's appropriate developmentally for them (doesn't help that the age range is 5 - 12 for my group, that's a BIG developmental range to span); and my advanced ballroom class was solid, I'm excited with how quickly some concepts are getting into their bodies and can't wait to work on refining that - even if it means revisiting some of my lesson plans. After dance, I tried out some choreo experiments on my partner and we both REALLY liked the flow of some of the stuff I came up with, though it's gonna be pushing the limits of what the college kids can do, that's for darn sure. Made a quick run to target where I picked up my floor lamp and dessert bar ingredients for the weekend, then went home where I did not hang up my chalkboard, but I used it to start writing out dance stuff and see how the choreo I came up with was composed of skills taught at different syllabus levels, so theoretically it wouldn't demand that much of the highest level class (theoretically). Got a solid 8 something hours of sleep and woke up nice and refreshed as well - and got some pilates and prehab done this morning before work. Giving myself a point for grad school work yesterday because I was so far ahead that I was already finished with everything released - that's a new feeling for sure!

Hermione:

• Work Day 1 Thing: 3/5
  • Lesson Planning: 0/10
  • Grad school work: 3/6
  • Sleeeeep: 2.5/7
  • Training hard: YUP

Ron:

• Strength: 0/1
  • Prehab / pilates: 1/1

Harry: 3

Spoiler
  • Hang blackboard in room
  • Wall mount TV
  • Get floor lamp for living room
  • Assemble living room floor lamp
  • Move art panels over to make room for lamp
  • Put slide pads on living room furniture
  • Program thermostat for the summer
  • Car trunk of stuff to friend
  • Update voter registration
  • Label pantry containers
  • Drive to faraway gym and cancel membership
  • Set up smart lights
  • Get allergist receipt and save for long term
  • Doctor 7/5
  • Haircut 7/15-ish
  • Get watch repaired
  • Make dessert bars for a friend's birthday party
  • Have friends over for a housewarming and/or pool party
  • Make appointment for stuff pick up
  • Make second doctor's appointment for testing
  • Go to second doctor's appointment?
  • Be present for stuff pick up 7/4
  • Take old phone to Apple for recycling
  • Recycle rest of old electronics kicking around unused
  • Write strength training program for friends
  • Like 5

24 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Teaching dance went well - I'm starting to get better rapport with my baby Latin class, and slowly getting a feel for what's appropriate developmentally for them (doesn't help that the age range is 5 - 12 for my group, that's a BIG developmental range to span); and my advanced ballroom class was solid, I'm excited with how quickly some concepts are getting into their bodies and can't wait to work on refining that - even if it means revisiting some of my lesson plans.

It makes me so happy that you're so excited about the teaching. Having a really attentive, skilled teacher who cares about them can make such a huge difference to children. And youngsters (by college kids, do you mean you teach university students, too?). They're so lucky to have you. 

27 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Taxes, recurring injuries, other people, not paying rent. All deal with you at some point. :P

Well, yes. When you put it like that. I suppose the real magic trick is developing internal motivations to do things that are good for you long term, instead of continuing to be pushed around by external incentives. Not that I suppose anyone ever develops internal motivation to do their taxes. But lifting... lifting was the first thing I wanted to do, for me. Hopefully that adult magic will keep infecting the rest of my life. 

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

6 minutes ago, Harriet said:

It makes me so happy that you're so excited about the teaching. Having a really attentive, skilled teacher who cares about them can make such a huge difference to children. And youngsters (by college kids, do you mean you teach university students, too?). They're so lucky to have you. 

:D doing what I can - I know that I might not nail it every time, but a teacher who really cares about the kids will make a real difference over the long term. And yep, university students, starting in the fall - I'm collaborating with 3 other coaches there, so it'll 

6 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Well, yes. When you put it like that. I suppose the real magic trick is developing internal motivations to do things that are good for you long term, instead of continuing to be pushed around by external incentives. Not that I suppose anyone ever develops internal motivation to do their taxes. But lifting... lifting was the first thing I wanted to do, for me. Hopefully that adult magic will keep infecting the rest of my life. 

Haha yes - though I think sometimes it's perfectly ok to do things purely for external motivation. We all have some things we don't particularly LOVE that are still necessary and that come with a nice reward even if the activity itself is "meh" (like going to the doctor for health screenings - dunno if it'll ever be fun, but the peace of mind from it is the real reward). But yes, keep on searching for that magic for things here and there! You've found a bit of that with cooking, no?

• Like 1

On 6/26/2019 at 8:17 AM, Mike Wazowski said:

YUSSSSSSSSS DOOOOOOO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTT!!!!

I really really might.  I'm thinking probably as a reward for doing Empire!

Also HI HI HI WELCOME BACK!!!  Glad to have my fellow ballroom dancing nerd back here. HUGS!

HUGSSSSS! So glad to be back, and have someone to nerd out with about ballroom here! :D

Taught a pretty solid set of dance classes - including dragging little kids through the math that connects timing to rhythm to beat value - but they'll get it eventually, the adults still struggle with it.

Haha I always think it's funny when my teachers are like oh dancers aren't great at math we have artistic minds but then in the same breath then are like oh but here do a 5/8th rotation and then do a 7/8ths turn and then after another half rotation and you'll end facing this direction, obviously.  And I"m like OK I'm a physicist but what are you even saying SOS (also that was all wildly pulled out of thin air, I'm not referencing anything real XD)

On 6/26/2019 at 2:08 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

I used to be in denial of my puffiness too. :P

I was in denial of being a slytherin for a really long time so I get that.  I feel like those two houses get such bad reps but they're both still amazing and have great qualities!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

But yes, keep on searching for that magic for things here and there! You've found a bit of that with cooking, no?

Sort of. Most of the time, I don't mind cooking. It's sort of neutral. Sometimes I enjoy it, when I plan something more ambitious and put some effort into it. 

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

3 hours ago, Raxie said:

I really really might.  I'm thinking probably as a reward for doing Empire!

YES YES YES love that we might be shoe twins! Especially because I'll giggle that I'm wearing shoes designed and marketed only to women. But they're too dang awesome, how could I not?

3 hours ago, Raxie said:

HUGSSSSS! So glad to be back, and have someone to nerd out with about ballroom here! :D

:D YESSSSS all the nerding! Especially as I start coming up with plans for how to TEACH ALL THE THINGS to the college kids and the kid kids, it's even more fun and I get to go even deeper into nerdery.

3 hours ago, Raxie said:

Haha I always think it's funny when my teachers are like oh dancers aren't great at math we have artistic minds but then in the same breath then are like oh but here do a 5/8th rotation and then do a 7/8ths turn and then after another half rotation and you'll end facing this direction, obviously.  And I"m like OK I'm a physicist but what are you even saying SOS (also that was all wildly pulled out of thin air, I'm not referencing anything real XD)

Hahahaha exactly! Ballroom and Latin certainly have a wide berth for the detail-minded nerds among us - we just gotta slap on a performance face and let the technical details do the rest for us. :D the books can truly be baffling at times, dunno how much you've explored them yet (especially because there's more than one for both latin and ballroom, so you might have multiple descriptions of the *same* step!).

3 hours ago, Raxie said:

I was in denial of being a slytherin for a really long time so I get that.  I feel like those two houses get such bad reps but they're both still amazing and have great qualities!

Ahh true - they are definitely the underappreciated houses! Why's everyone want to be an impulsive Gryff anyhow?

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Well yeah, that’s because us physicists count in order of magnitudes. :P What’s arithmetic anyway? 

:P to be fair, neither do business analysts half the time - just make up some rough numbers and if the decision's a slam dunk, who needs precise data, anyhow?

3 hours ago, Harriet said:

Sort of. Most of the time, I don't mind cooking. It's sort of neutral. Sometimes I enjoy it, when I plan something more ambitious and put some effort into it. 

Ahhhh gotcha. I think I made the classic mistake of seeing your highlight reel and assuming it was your every day re: cooking.

3 hours ago, Raxie said:

yes and all things are spheres

assume-spherical-cow.1200.png

...and maybe point masses too? Or is that just us engineers making things point masses and applying a rigid body assumption left right and center? And disregarding wind resistance, at least in MechE most of the time.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Ahhhh gotcha. I think I made the classic mistake of seeing your highlight reel and assuming it was your every day re: cooking.

Here in the challenges I try things optimistically, and occasionally they stick.

15 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Ahh true - they are definitely the underappreciated houses! Why's everyone want to be an impulsive Gryff anyhow?

Can I choose my house? One the one hand, green is an excellent colour. This speaks for slytherin. On the other hand, valour is the virtue I most wish to cultivate, suggesting Gryffindor (and Neville shows that you don't have to be born brave, you can achieve it). On the other hand, surely a quiet nerd who prefers reading belongs in Ravenclaw. Then again, maybe with a lawful good alignment that I can't seem to get rid of Hufflepuff would be best. Hmmm. I'll have to think about this. 

On 6/24/2019 at 7:03 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Man, if we could summon @Br0din back to the wonderful world of challenge posting that would be awesome.

image.png

Why are we disturbing my slumber?  

• Like 3

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

3 hours ago, Harriet said:

Can I choose my house? One the one hand, green is an excellent colour. This speaks for slytherin. On the other hand, valour is the virtue I most wish to cultivate, suggesting Gryffindor (and Neville shows that you don't have to be born brave, you can achieve it). On the other hand, surely a quiet nerd who prefers reading belongs in Ravenclaw. Then again, maybe with a lawful good alignment that I can't seem to get rid of Hufflepuff would be best. Hmmm. I'll have to think about this. 

^^^Sounds like you need the help of a sorting hat. It's highly "scientific", but there's a website called pottermore (officially sanctioned / owned by JK Rowling's company) that has a sorting hat quiz on it if you want to play around and try it out.

1 hour ago, Br0din said:

image.png

Guild leader death match, I think.

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

What’s wind resistance? That’s like one one of those pesky Earth things right?

I'd gladly deal with that pesky Earth thing to not need to model gravity as a force dependent on position relative to the Earth and other planets. :P

Week 0, Day 4: Yesterday....was a beat down. An issue with a report I run, that I couldn't directly fix, got escalated to the president of the company and edicts were cascaded back down to stop everything and try to work on a workaround patch. Literally right after I finished it and was getting ready to implement it (after testing and proving that it was 99%+ effective at patching), I found out that the upstream issue was found and fixed by the tech team. So basically, a day of work was wasted. I was ready to almost quit - less because of that one incident and more because it feels like a trend in my work with one particular stakeholder; a chat today with my boss helped me back down a bit from the ledge, but I'm still pretty grumpy. I didn't do a whole lot after work because I just didn't have the oomph for it - but I did run across the street to pick up a library book and one last supply for the dessert bars (which I started making this morning, and I've got a good feeling about the flavor combo - TBD if they hold together well, but worse comes to worst they're tasty gloop). Stayed up pretty late watching TV and getting emotions in check - definitely not ideal to do often, but I think it was an OK call given the roughness of the day (there was some personal stuff I'm keeping close to the chest as well, in addition to the work stuff).

Points update: currently at 14.5 points about 4/7 of the way through week 1 of 5. Theoretically on track for all rewards at current points pace.

Hermione:

• Work Day 1 Thing: 4/5
  • Grad school work: 4/6
  • Sleeeeep: 2.5/7

Ron:

• Strength: 0/1
  • Prehab / pilates: 1/1

Harry: 3

Spoiler
  • Wall mount TV
  • Set up smart lights (4 bulbs and a light strip - plus maybe a bonus lightstrip TBD)
  • Doctor 7/5
  • Haircut 7/15-ish
  • Get watch repaired
  • Make second doctor's appointment for STD testing
  • Write collegiate coaching bio
  • Edit collegiate coaching bio and send
  • Pick collegiate coaching picture and send

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Br0din said:

image.png

Some days you just gotta poke the bear.

• Haha 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

On 6/25/2019 at 11:32 AM, @mu said:

Are we all Hufflepuffs?

No. We are not. :angry:

On 6/28/2019 at 11:59 AM, Mike Wazowski said:

^^^Sounds like you need the help of a sorting hat. It's highly "scientific", but there's a website called pottermore (officially sanctioned / owned by JK Rowling's company) that has a sorting hat quiz on it if you want to play around and try it out.

I have taken that quiz more times than I care to count, and it keeps putting me in the wrong house. It's actually quite annoying.

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29

On 6/29/2019 at 8:44 PM, scalyfreak said:

No. We are not. :angry:

:P Puff in denial!!! :P

On 6/29/2019 at 8:44 PM, scalyfreak said:

I have taken that quiz more times than I care to count, and it keeps putting me in the wrong house. It's actually quite annoying.

Or.....it's giving you feedback on your correct house placement? :P (I'm feeling extra impish this morning, ignore me).

Week 0, Days 5 - 7: Kind of a packed weekend, I think? Work was continuing to try and manage crisis-y stuff on Friday, but I was able to leave with enough time to grab a quick dinner and pick up a box of cookies as a surprise for my dance partner (he had also had a rough week) before practice. Practice itself was very good, we hadn't met in a bit so it was mostly shaking the dust off and solidifying some things that had been changed recently. Then I think I went home and binge-watched "Shameless" while grabbing a buncha food from my fridge, but that memory's a little fuzzy. I know I didn't get enough sleep given an early start on Saturday.

Saturday was a solid day - did laundry and made breakfast before grabbing groceries, then had an early practice before a pool party for my friend's 30th - 'twas a great time, I came home over full of food and drink and was a lump on the couch. But I also had a random burst of energy where I decided it was the right time to put slide pads on all my living room furniture, so now my couch moves really easily. The dessert bars I made for the party ended up a bit more like raspberry cheesecake gloop than bars, but they were still quite tasty (and I made waaaay too many for the size of the group) - calling it a success for a first recipe experiment.

Sunday was pretty typical - dance in the morning and early afternoon, get home and meal prep, then I did a bunch of little tasks - setting up a floor lamp, configuring new smart lights, and hanging my blackboard.I also fit in a little candlelit bath in there too, in addition to stretching in front of the TV while winding down (not my ideal of winding down with no screens, but at least there was stretching).

In terms of goals, I can tell that sleep and making time for grad school need some love and attention this week, as does lesson planning. But SLEEP is the number one priority. But I did pick up lots of bonus points this weekend by knocking out bunches of little tasks. I can also tell that I've got some anxiety or depression-type stuff that's still bubbling below the surface - I want to seek out professional help although that's an ordeal I don't really want to add to my plate right now. But the immediate action step will be to focus on sleep and make sure that I have some time each day, however minimal, to rest and relax.

Total Points at End of Week 0: 24.5 (ahead of pace for LOUD shoes)

Hermione:

• Work Day 1 Thing: 5/5, 0/5
  • Grad school work: 4/6, 0/6
  • Sleeeeep: 3.5/7, 0/7

Ron:

• Strength: 0/1, 1/1
  • Prehab / pilates: 2/1, 0/1

Harry: 10

Spoiler
  • Wall mount TV
  • Set up smart lights (4 bulbs and a light strip - plus maybe a bonus lightstrip TBD)
  • Doctor 7/5
  • Haircut 7/15-ish
  • Get watch repaired
  • Make second doctor's appointment for STD testing
  • Write collegiate coaching bio
  • Edit collegiate coaching bio and send
  • Pick collegiate coaching picture and send
  • Like 7

23 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Or.....it's giving you feedback on your correct house placement? :P (I'm feeling extra impish this morning, ignore me).

Oh no :( It made me a slytherin. I'm not evil. Is it because I wanted a white cat? I'm not a villain, I just think white cats are sweet. 

• Haha 5

14 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Oh no :( It made me a slytherin. I'm not evil. Is it because I wanted a white cat? I'm not a villain, I just think white cats are sweet. 

slytherins aren't inherently evil! 

• Like 3

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

50 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

slytherins aren't inherently evil! 

Yeah... but Cats are!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr