Jump to content

Mike Wazowski: When to Try HARD, and when to chillll


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

:P Puff in denial!!! :P

 

Or.....it's giving you feedback on your correct house placement? :P (I'm feeling extra impish this morning, ignore me).

 

 

Actually, it kept putting me in Gryffindor, for some reason. And most of the questions were weird. One should not spend a quiz like this thinking "hmmm, all these are wrong, so I guess I'll pick the one that is the least bad fit for me...".

 

So I deleted that account and tried again. And tried again. And tried again. And tried again, refusing to give up until I reached the desired outcome.

 

3 hours ago, Harriet said:


Oh no :( It made me a slytherin. I'm not evil. Is it because I wanted a white cat? I'm not a villain, I just think white cats are sweet. 

 

3 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

slytherins aren't inherently evil! 

 

To assume that Slytherin is an evil house because Voldemort was in Slytherin, is like saying humans are evil because Isildur was, and look what The One Ring did to him. Aside from being oversimplified, it's narrowminded and wrong, and it ignores the fact Isildur was a great king, successful on the field of battle, and came close to defeating the Dark Lord once upon a time. Those are admirable qualities in anyone.

 

Slytherin houses those who are ambitious, driven, and determined, who stop at nothing to achieve their goals, and who in the process inspires those around them to work just as hard towards a common end goal. These are also admirable qualities, and Slytherin are hardly the first to see cunning, ambition, and resourcefulness, as virtues.

 

The above said, Slytherin are probably easier for evil to corrupt because they already dance in the morally gray area between good and evil, to the tunes of ends-justify-means and all-is-fair-in-war-and-quidditch, but that doesn't mean that Slytherin house members by default are evil. It doesn't even mean that everyone in the house is easy to corrupt or morally weak. If I was to set up a detailed genre cross-over, Slytherin is where the paladins come from.

 

We will help you on your way to greatness. :)

  • Like 4

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27

Link to post
1 hour ago, scalyfreak said:

Actually, it kept putting me in Gryffindor, for some reason.


I don't suppose we can swap. I wanted to be valiant. 
 

1 hour ago, scalyfreak said:

To assume that Slytherin is an evil house because Voldemort was in Slytherin, is like saying humans are evil because Isildur was, and look what The One Ring did to him. Aside from being oversimplified, it's narrowminded and wrong, and it ignores the fact Isildur was a great king, successful on the field of battle, and came close to defeating the Dark Lord once upon a time. Those are admirable qualities in anyone.

 

Slytherin houses those who are ambitious, driven, and determined, who stop at nothing to achieve their goals, and who in the process inspires those around them to work just as hard towards a common end goal. These are also admirable qualities, and Slytherin are hardly the first to see cunning, ambition, and resourcefulness, as virtues.


You have a point. I'm not sure about paladins, I think their main trait is righteousness. But you make a good point about Isildur, and I always thought Boromir was totally sympathetic and relatable. Also, I have to admit I am unsentimental and prone to consequentialist thinking. And I think the test looked into my soul and saw a secret desire for power. What you have to understand, though, is that I would use the power out of a desire to do good. I don't want it in order to control and harm others. Okay, well maybe to control them a little bit. But only when totally necessary to protect people (like Boromir would have done!), and to prevent greater evils such as murder and nuclear war and of course anyone disrespecting me. Is that so wrong? 

Anyway, have we derailed Mike's thread too much? Or should we discuss what the very pointless Crabbe and Goyle are doing in my glorious house, and what kind of animal you requested for your familiar? 

  • Like 4

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

Link to post
12 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Anyway, have we derailed Mike's thread too much? Or should we discuss what the very pointless Crabbe and Goyle are doing in my glorious house, and what kind of animal you requested for your familiar? 

Will comment on the rest later when I'm not pretending to work super hard, but no such thing as derailing too much - I think once, people filled a whole thread page with peanut butter face smearing gifs while I was on hiatus because of a hectic work / dance week.

 

...so comparatively, Harry Potter house discussion is much more interesting to read and makes me less alarmed with what people use their free time and a video camera for.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

 Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

Link to post
4 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Will comment on the rest later when I'm not pretending to work super hard, but no such thing as derailing too much - I think once, people filled a whole thread page with peanut butter face smearing gifs while I was on hiatus because of a hectic work / dance week.


I think I remember that. It made me feel very uncomfortable for some reason... There was something obscene about the smearing.. and the facial expressions of the smearers. 

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

Link to post
2 minutes ago, Harriet said:


I think I remember that. It made me feel very uncomfortable for some reason... There was something obscene about the smearing.. and the facial expressions of the smearers. 

Not to mention the tremendous waste of a precious resource..

  • Like 3

We will never see the best version of ourselves inside our comfort zone

Link to post
23 minutes ago, Harriet said:


I don't suppose we can swap. I wanted to be valiant. 

 

Putting aside for a moment the ludicrous notion that Slytherin can't be valiant, I deleted that account for putting me in the wrong house, remember? ;)

 

24 minutes ago, Harriet said:

You have a point. I'm not sure about paladins, I think their main trait is righteousness.

 

Nope. It's to act on it, aggressively, against those who don't share that trait.

 

28 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Anyway, have we derailed Mike's thread too much? Or should we discuss what the very pointless Crabbe and Goyle are doing in my glorious house, and what kind of animal you requested for your familiar? 

 

Crabbe and Goyle are living their ambition, and my pet is a black cat. Of course. :)

  • Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27

Link to post
2 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Nope. It's to act on it, aggressively, against those who don't share that trait.


Well... I suppose righteousness without slaying wouldn't make for much of an adventurer. I could be righteous from my armchair. Energetically killing villains and monsters is a very important part of paladinning, I admit.

 

2 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Crabbe and Goyle are living their ambition


But... following a boss villain seems so unworthy. One hands over control to someone else, and is required to cultivate obedience rather than one's own power. And boss villains and dark lords don't even reliably reward their followers; they frequently punish or murder them in fits of pique or when they are no longer useful. This seems like a poor choice for the ambitious... but perhaps there are different varieties of ambition. 

 

2 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

my pet is a black cat. Of course. :)


As the counterfactual owner of a hypothetically white cat, I approve. 

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

Link to post
19 minutes ago, Harriet said:

 perhaps there are different varieties of ambition. 

 

Bingo.

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27

Link to post
17 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Total Points at End of Week 0: 24.5 (ahead of pace for LOUD shoes)

Hmmm, not bad for such a slacker :P 

  • Haha 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26Nerevarine [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

 

Link to post
18 hours ago, Harriet said:

I think I remember that. It made me feel very uncomfortable for some reason... There was something obscene about the smearing.. and the facial expressions of the smearers. 

...yup. Facial expression can change it from wasteful to downright creepy real fast.

 

18 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Not to mention the tremendous waste of a precious resource..

A-FREAKING-MEN

 

18 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Crabbe and Goyle are living their ambition, and my pet is a black cat. Of course. :)

16 hours ago, Harriet said:

But... following a boss villain seems so unworthy. One hands over control to someone else, and is required to cultivate obedience rather than one's own power. And boss villains and dark lords don't even reliably reward their followers; they frequently punish or murder them in fits of pique or when they are no longer useful. This seems like a poor choice for the ambitious... but perhaps there are different varieties of ambition. 

...or maybe, they're ambitious but also irrational at evaluating whether "this time will be different"  when following an ascendant dark lord (or his sniveling underling, in the case of Crabbe and Goyle following Malfoy - though Draco's character arc is one of my favorites in the series). And they recognize their own lack of ability, therefore their best bet at achieving high status is as "hangers-on" to someone with more upward potential. Maybe?

 

5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Hmmm, not bad for such a slacker :P 

:P fair enough, guess I didn't really slack as much as I thought.

 

Random read on being an amateur, including some word nerdery about the root of "amateur" in the Latin / French words for love: https://medium.com/the-polymath-project/g-k-chesterton-in-defense-of-amateurs-7d2d55516a01 (I found this article super interesting, especially as an amateur, but passionate, artist).

 

Week 1, Day 1: Got my work stuff done (including FINALLY putting a bow on the crazy-making thing from this past week) and did some grad school work, plus a great night of teaching and practicing at the dance studio. Got home a little late, and didn't wind down properly / quickly enough, so missed my sleep goal. But I still was able to wake up and get some pilates in this morning, PLUS make pancakes before work (huzzah for protein pancake mix).

 

Oh, and I got to experience the magic of my smart lights yesterday - it's so cool to come home and say "Alexa, turn all the lights on" and suddenly my whole apartment is lit (well, no overhead lights are on, but I have enough lamps that it feels nice and cozy and bright enough still).

 

Hermione:

  • Work Day 1 Thing: 5/5, 1/5
  • Lesson Planning: 0/10
  • Grad school work: 4/6, 1/6
  • Sleeeeep: 3.5/7, 0/7

Ron:

  • Strength: 0/1, 1/1
  • Prehab / pilates: 2/1, 1/1

Harry: 10

Spoiler
  • Hang blackboard in room
  • Wall mount TV
  • Get floor lamp for living room
  • Assemble living room floor lamp
  • Move art panels over to make room for lamp
  • Put slide pads on living room furniture
  • Program thermostat for the summer
  • Car trunk of stuff to friend
  • Update voter registration
  • Label pantry containers
  • Drive to faraway gym and cancel membership
  • Set up smart lights (4 bulbs and a light strip - plus maybe a bonus lightstrip TBD)
  • Get allergist receipt and save for long term
  • Doctor 7/5
  • Haircut 7/15-ish
  • Get watch repaired
  • Make dessert bars for a friend's birthday party
  • Have friends over for a housewarming and/or pool party
  • Make appointment for stuff pick up
  • Make second doctor's appointment for STD testing
  • Go to second doctor's appointment?
  • Be present for stuff pick up 7/4
  • Take old phone to Apple for recycling
  • Recycle rest of old electronics kicking around unused
  • Write strength training program for friends
  • Write collegiate coaching bio
  • Edit collegiate coaching bio and send
  • Pick collegiate coaching picture and send

 

  • Like 5

 Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

Link to post
21 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Random read on being an amateur, including some word nerdery about the root of "amateur" in the Latin / French words for love: https://medium.com/the-polymath-project/g-k-chesterton-in-defense-of-amateurs-7d2d55516a01 (I found this article super interesting, especially as an amateur, but passionate, artist).

 

Great read! I liked it a lot. It especially makes sense to me with regards to creative activities. I sometimes wonder about paying a lot for degrees in creative writing or fine arts... I even wondered if I were "allowed" to do art and call myself an artist with no qualifications. Not to mention, I wondered at the quality of the results. So confusing. Happily I came to the realisation that the most important qualifications are 1. getting started and 2. continuing. 
 

21 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

...or maybe, they're ambitious but also irrational at evaluating whether "this time will be different"  when following an ascendant dark lord (or his sniveling underling, in the case of Crabbe and Goyle following Malfoy - though Draco's character arc is one of my favorites in the series). And they recognize their own lack of ability, therefore their best bet at achieving high status is as "hangers-on" to someone with more upward potential. Maybe?


This is what I was thinking. I do believe you are correct. Very well. I am satisfied that the house of Slytherin makes sense, and have no further objections to being placed there with my white cat.

  • Like 3

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

Link to post
2 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

...or maybe, they're ambitious but also irrational at evaluating whether "this time will be different"  when following an ascendant dark lord (or his sniveling underling, in the case of Crabbe and Goyle following Malfoy - though Draco's character arc is one of my favorites in the series). And they recognize their own lack of ability, therefore their best bet at achieving high status is as "hangers-on" to someone with more upward potential.

 

All in accordance with the house motto. :)

 

 

  • Like 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27

Link to post

Drive by update, just the scores for now. Really need to get my sleep act in order.

 

Edit: one step I took, at the suggestion of one wise @RedStone just now, was to disable wifi for my apple tv player after 10 pm on school nights. So I'll need to jump through lots of hoops to keep the netflix binge going after 10, which I think is a good thing.

 

Hermione:

  • Work Day 1 Thing: 5/5, 2/5
  • Lesson Planning: 0/10
  • Grad school work: 4/6, 2/6
  • Sleeeeep: 3.5/7, 0/7

Ron:

  • Strength: 0/1, 1/1
  • Prehab / pilates: 2/1, 2/1

Harry: 10

Spoiler
  • Hang blackboard in room
  • Wall mount TV
  • Get floor lamp for living room
  • Assemble living room floor lamp
  • Move art panels over to make room for lamp
  • Put slide pads on living room furniture
  • Program thermostat for the summer
  • Car trunk of stuff to friend
  • Update voter registration
  • Label pantry containers
  • Drive to faraway gym and cancel membership
  • Set up smart lights (4 bulbs and a light strip - plus maybe a bonus lightstrip TBD)
  • Get allergist receipt and save for long term
  • Doctor 7/5
  • Haircut 7/15-ish
  • Get watch repaired
  • Make dessert bars for a friend's birthday party
  • Have friends over for a housewarming and/or pool party
  • Make appointment for stuff pick up
  • Make second doctor's appointment for STD testing
  • Go to second doctor's appointment?
  • Be present for stuff pick up 7/4
  • Take old phone to Apple for recycling
  • Recycle rest of old electronics kicking around unused
  • Write strength training program for friends
  • Write collegiate coaching bio
  • Edit collegiate coaching bio and send
  • Pick collegiate coaching picture and send

 

 

  • Like 6

 Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

Link to post
On 6/27/2019 at 6:26 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

..and maybe point masses too? Or is that just us engineers making things point masses and applying a rigid body assumption left right and center? And disregarding wind resistance, at least in MechE most of the time.

 

Hahaha yes, we definitely do that, too XD. What even IS wind resistance? Who needs it?!

 

On 6/27/2019 at 6:26 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

YES YES YES love that we might be shoe twins! Especially because I'll giggle that I'm wearing shoes designed and marketed only to women. But they're too dang awesome, how could I not?

 

I would honestly love this.  I'm going to make it a reward for myself for not totally effing up at Empire but only if you get them too haha - not to put more pressure on you to do well this challenge :P

 

On 6/27/2019 at 6:26 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

:D YESSSSS all the nerding! Especially as I start coming up with plans for how to TEACH ALL THE THINGS to the college kids and the kid kids, it's even more fun and I get to go even deeper into nerdery.

 

Seriously I've only gotten MORE nerdy about ballroom stuff since last I was on the forums. Literally at work on my lunch break I end up watching dance videos most of the time. So ready to delve into some nerdery with you!

 

On 7/1/2019 at 11:10 AM, Mike Wazowski said:

I want to seek out professional help although that's an ordeal I don't really want to add to my plate right now. But the immediate action step will be to focus on sleep and make sure that I have some time each day, however minimal, to rest and relax.

 

:( Sorry you've been having a rough go of it lately.  It really is so tough how much mental energy/spoons it can take to even start taking steps to address it. Sleep is a great self care first step though, I'm glad to see you have been able to catch up a bit as of late. Hugs!

 

On 7/1/2019 at 11:36 AM, Harriet said:

Oh no :( It made me a slytherin. I'm not evil. Is it because I wanted a white cat? I'm not a villain, I just think white cats are sweet. 

 

I know this has already been discussed above but I just want to chime in and say YAY SLYTHERIN! Also, it may definitely be easier to corrupt Slytherins due to their ambition, but I also think that exact quality makes them extra capable of doing good as well.  I think a lot of people in leadership positions tend to be Slytherins.  A lot of good things wouldn't get done without those ambitious and mildly controlling people stepping up to the plate and pushing a certain agenda. A lot of focus goes towards that sort of person when their agenda is not a good one, but that's not necessarily the case.

 

On 7/1/2019 at 3:14 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

Will comment on the rest later when I'm not pretending to work super hard, but no such thing as derailing too much - I think once, people filled a whole thread page with peanut butter face smearing gifs while I was on hiatus because of a hectic work / dance week.

 

LMAO this reminds me of the time I came back to something like 2+ pages worth of poop gifs one time.  I think I made the mistake of mentioning a squatty potty and the pro-biotics (gut fairies?) in greek yogurt before leaving for a work trip XD

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
31 minutes ago, Raxie said:

I know this has already been discussed above but I just want to chime in and say YAY SLYTHERIN! Also, it may definitely be easier to corrupt Slytherins due to their ambition, but I also think that exact quality makes them extra capable of doing good as well.  I think a lot of people in leadership positions tend to be Slytherins.  A lot of good things wouldn't get done without those ambitious and mildly controlling people stepping up to the plate and pushing a certain agenda. A lot of focus goes towards that sort of person when their agenda is not a good one, but that's not necessarily the case.

 

Slytherin is also the only house who doesn't actually require you to be nice to people. Good, yes. Great, yes. Nice? Nah, that's optional. (I've always had a soft spot for stories that let someone be one of the good guys, without being a nice guy. :) )

  • Like 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27

Link to post
5 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Slytherin is also the only house who doesn't actually require you to be nice to people. Good, yes. Great, yes. Nice? Nah, that's optional. (I've always had soft spot for stories that let someone be one of the good guys, without being a nice guy. :) )

 

YESSSSS! So much this.  And honestly I think this is the #1 reason I end up falling into this house.  While I like to think I have a really strong moral compass and really do put a lot of work in to make the world a better place, I also gravitate towards leadership roles and have no problem being a b*tch to get stuff done, and also have zero tolerance for people who aren't good people themselves (I'll cut toxic people out of my life in a heartbeat haha).

  • Like 3
Link to post
10 minutes ago, Raxie said:

 

YESSSSS! So much this.  And honestly I think this is the #1 reason I end up falling into this house.  While I like to think I have a really strong moral compass and really do put a lot of work in to make the world a better place, I also gravitate towards leadership roles and have no problem being a b*tch to get stuff done, and also have zero tolerance for people who aren't good people themselves (I'll cut toxic people out of my life in a heartbeat haha).

 

And incompetence should be illegal.

 

It's always nice to meet someone else who understands this. :)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27

Link to post
2 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

 

Slytherin is also the only house who doesn't actually require you to be nice to people. Good, yes. Great, yes. Nice? Nah, that's optional. (I've always had a soft spot for stories that let someone be one of the good guys, without being a nice guy. :) )

 

1 hour ago, Raxie said:

 

YESSSSS! So much this.  And honestly I think this is the #1 reason I end up falling into this house.  While I like to think I have a really strong moral compass and really do put a lot of work in to make the world a better place, I also gravitate towards leadership roles and have no problem being a b*tch to get stuff done, and also have zero tolerance for people who aren't good people themselves (I'll cut toxic people out of my life in a heartbeat haha).


Haha. I generally start with nice as the default and only switch it up if people don't reciprocate. I'm getting better at not taking responsibility for other people's feelings, but it takes time. As a child I gave zero s***s about other people's opinions. I wasn't unkind, usually, I just put my judgement and needs first. They programmed that out of me in adolescence, though, and it's taking me years to unlearn the habit of managing other people's feelings, putting their needs first, and being pleasing. Also, I don't want to lead other people. I just want power for the purpose of self-efficacy. 

  • Like 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

Link to post
3 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Haha. I generally start with nice as the default and only switch it up if people don't reciprocate. I'm getting better at not taking responsibility for other people's feelings, but it takes time. As a child I gave zero s***s about other people's opinions. I wasn't unkind, usually, I just put my judgement and needs first. They programmed that out of me in adolescence, though, and it's taking me years to unlearn the habit of managing other people's feelings, putting their needs first, and being pleasing. Also, I don't want to lead other people. I just want power for the purpose of self-efficacy.  

 

I don't necessarily WANT to lead at all if I'm honest.  I just always end up doing it/being drawn to it/pushed into those positions because I'm naturally very assertive and organized... and I tend to think I can do a lot of things I'm good at better than a lot of other people so I don't really fight taking the reigns for the sake of things getting done well, even though it's truly not really my first choice. Also yes, I am always super nice up front and give people the benefit of the doubt but I am definitely one of those people who you don't want to cross - I'm not actively vindictive or anything but I will basically write you off for all eternity if you're a jerk XD.  Managing other people's feelings is something I struggled with as well for a while, but somehow the last year or so of my life I've been able to totally let it go? I'm not sure how, I think I've just become so busy that I lost the time/energy to be able to really even consider it any more.

  • Like 3
Link to post
2 hours ago, Raxie said:

 

I don't necessarily WANT to lead at all if I'm honest.  I just always end up doing it/being drawn to it/pushed into those positions because I'm naturally very assertive and organized... and I tend to think I can do a lot of things I'm good at better than a lot of other people so I don't really fight taking the reigns for the sake of things getting done well, even though it's truly not really my first choice. Also yes, I am always super nice up front and give people the benefit of the doubt but I am definitely one of those people who you don't want to cross - I'm not actively vindictive or anything but I will basically write you off for all eternity if you're a jerk XD.  Managing other people's feelings is something I struggled with as well for a while, but somehow the last year or so of my life I've been able to totally let it go?

 

This is creepy. Also a little scary.

 

There should never be two of me in any version of reality.

 

There is no way this can end well!

  • Like 3

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27

Link to post
2 hours ago, Raxie said:

Managing other people's feelings is something I struggled with as well for a while, but somehow the last year or so of my life I've been able to totally let it go? I'm not sure how, I think I've just become so busy that I lost the time/energy to be able to really even consider it any more.

 

Yay! I started making some progress on this with this with my (German) counsellor. Also by watching German people interact generally. Wow, they can be direct. Also, I think that powerlifting has put me back in touch with the badass side of me I had buried. Yay lifting. 

  • Like 4

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

Link to post
27 minutes ago, Harriet said:

 

Yay! I started making some progress on this with this with my (German) counsellor. Also by watching German people interact generally. Wow, they can be direct. Also, I think that powerlifting has put me back in touch with the badass side of me I had buried. Yay lifting. 

 

This particular side-effect of lifting really needs to be advertised more.

  • Like 3

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27

Link to post
22 hours ago, Raxie said:

Hahaha yes, we definitely do that, too XD. What even IS wind resistance? Who needs it?!

Not I, in my intro to physics courses haha. And there's a reason I didn't go the aerospace engineering route.

 

Quote

I would honestly love this.  I'm going to make it a reward for myself for not totally effing up at Empire but only if you get them too haha - not to put more pressure on you to do well this challenge :P

YES now I have grand visions of taking a shoe twins picture at some point in the distant future (but not so distant that IDS stops selling the practice shoe model).

 

Quote

Seriously I've only gotten MORE nerdy about ballroom stuff since last I was on the forums. Literally at work on my lunch break I end up watching dance videos most of the time. So ready to delve into some nerdery with you!

YES YES YES!!!! I am so excited!

 

So speaking of nerding out, some of my favorite bronze rumba syllabus figures, based on a comment on your thread that you don't love it:

  • A closed basic done in open hold ended with a side step into cuban rocks, then a progressive basic has a reallyyyyy cool flow for bronze (also introduces a styling of the lead using his/her right hand to direct the follow's right hip during the rock, which has a really coooool feeling when both partners roll with it)
  • Also love the development of the closed hip twist with extra total turn for the follow, especially since it sets up some cool uses of hockey stick and alemana with atypical amounts of turn (I love an overturned alemana in bronze)
  • The hockey stick ended open CPP is a cool variation too (we use it to go into 2x New Yorker, UAT to L, 2x Hand to Hand, Switch Turn, 2x Shoulder to Shoulder, Switch Turn, Side steps, 2x Cucaracha with my kiddos, which also has a nice flow for a set of pre-bronze figures)

Also love the volta turn within the reverse turn in samba (really advanced bronze variation) and the there and back in cha cha in terms of figures (and HIP BUMPS in jive :D)

 

We're starting to do curriculum planning for the college kiddos and I'm a little sad - I won't be doing the Latin curriculum, but I will have carte blanche to run with Rhythm when they're introduced to it

 

Quote

:( Sorry you've been having a rough go of it lately.  It really is so tough how much mental energy/spoons it can take to even start taking steps to address it. Sleep is a great self care first step though, I'm glad to see you have been able to catch up a bit as of late. Hugs!

 

Hugs, and thank you!! It is perverse how much mental energy it can take to start getting professional help - but I'm starting to feel an energy high right now, which means it's the right time to start hunting for a good counselor or therapist - I'm planning to start with our local LGBT resource center and see if they have anyone who's got a lot of experience working with my particular background (coming out to oneself in adulthood, coming from a culturally Christian background - even if my home life wasn't strongly religious growing up).

 

Quote

LMAO this reminds me of the time I came back to something like 2+ pages worth of poop gifs one time.  I think I made the mistake of mentioning a squatty potty and the pro-biotics (gut fairies?) in greek yogurt before leaving for a work trip XD

Hahaha that'll do it!

 

 

Not quoting the Slytherin talk, but I'm deeply amused and entertained by all of it. As someone who also reluctantly takes on leadership roles only when I see something that would go much better if I ran it, I feel nothing but empathy for you reluctant leader ladies.

  • Like 5

 Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

Link to post
19 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

 

So speaking of nerding out, some of my favorite bronze rumba syllabus figures, based on a comment on your thread that you don't love it:

  • A closed basic done in open hold ended with a side step into cuban rocks, then a progressive basic


No idea what you just said, but I'm sold. I'll take three. 

  • Haha 4

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines