Jump to content

Mike Wazowski: When to Try HARD, and when to chillll


Recommended Posts

On 7/4/2019 at 10:54 AM, Harriet said:

No idea what you just said, but I'm sold. I'll take three. 

Perfect - my job here is done!

 

Another drive-by with just the scores:

 

Hermione:

  • Work Day 1 Thing: 5/5, 3/4
  • Lesson Planning: 0/10
  • Grad school work: 4/6, 3/6
  • Sleeeeep: 3.5/7, 2/7

Ron:

  • Strength: 0/1, 1/1
  • Prehab / pilates: 2/1, 2/1

Harry: 11

Spoiler
  • Hang blackboard in room
  • Wall mount TV
  • Get floor lamp for living room
  • Assemble living room floor lamp
  • Move art panels over to make room for lamp
  • Put slide pads on living room furniture
  • Program thermostat for the summer
  • Car trunk of stuff to friend
  • Update voter registration
  • Label pantry containers
  • Drive to faraway gym and cancel membership
  • Set up smart lights (4 bulbs and a light strip - plus maybe a bonus lightstrip TBD)
  • Get allergist receipt and save for long term
  • Doctor 7/5
  • Haircut 7/15-ish
  • Get watch repaired
  • Make dessert bars for a friend's birthday party
  • Have friends over for a housewarming and/or pool party
  • Make appointment for stuff pick up
  • Make second doctor's appointment for STD testing
  • Go to second doctor's appointment?
  • Take stuff to salvation army myself
  • Take old phone to Apple for recycling
  • Recycle rest of old electronics kicking around unused
  • Write strength training program for friends
  • Write collegiate coaching bio
  • Edit collegiate coaching bio and send
  • Pick collegiate coaching picture and send

 

  • Like 5

 Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

Link to post

Also, dumping another article from Mike's random reads here: http://www.calnewport.com/blog/2012/10/26/mastering-linear-algebra-in-10-days-astounding-experiments-in-ultra-learning/ - I for sure want to play with it for dance, but might also start using it more formally to ensure I really understand the grad school work I'm doing (and boy, do I wish I had used it to help in learning multivariate-calc-based-stats!).

  • Like 1

 Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

Link to post

Week 1, Days 3-5: Ok, my work week, even with a national holiday in there, got kinda crazy. The same report that made my life a nightmare the past couple weeks had yet another break, which was super frustrating. But my boss was really good about letting me shift things around so that it wasn't piling YET ANOTHER THING on, but instead just pushing things I'd rather work on out a bit. And I still was able to make time to do some grad school work each day - I don't feel like I'm full on Hermione-ing it, but I am solidly on track to hit upcoming deadlines very comfortably (and maybe even ahead of that bar).

 

Had a nice first meeting with my fellow coaches for the local college kids, plus a birthday celebration for one of them after that meeting - I can tell I'm gonna like collaborating with this groups, we're a big ole bag of nerds and really care about building a sense of community for the college kids (in addition to pushing them to work hard, gotta make it fun and remember that we want them to come out of this with lifelong friendships). Also had a great day of dance lesson and training with my partner on the 4th (cause what else would we do) - the lesson especially got some things to click in terms of how to work on my foot articulation and poise, two of my biggest technical weaknesses right now (and for the past like....ever).

 

I'm sure there was some other stuff in there too, but I'm kinda blanking on it.

 

Running Point Total: 40.5

 

Hermione:

  • Work Day 1 Thing: 5/5, 4/4
  • Lesson Planning: 0/10
  • Grad school work: 4/6, 4/6
  • Sleeeeep: 3.5/7, 3/7

Ron:

  • Strength: 0/1, 1/1
  • Prehab / pilates: 2/1, 3/1

Harry: 11

Spoiler
  • Hang blackboard in room
  • Wall mount TV
  • Get floor lamp for living room
  • Assemble living room floor lamp
  • Move art panels over to make room for lamp
  • Put slide pads on living room furniture
  • Program thermostat for the summer
  • Car trunk of stuff to friend
  • Update voter registration
  • Label pantry containers
  • Drive to faraway gym and cancel membership
  • Set up smart lights (4 bulbs and a light strip - plus maybe a bonus lightstrip TBD)
  • Get allergist receipt and save for long term
  • Doctor 7/5
  • Haircut 7/15-ish
  • Get watch repaired
  • Make dessert bars for a friend's birthday party
  • Have friends over for a housewarming and/or pool party
  • Make appointment for stuff pick up
  • Make second doctor's appointment for STD testing
  • Go to second doctor's appointment?
  • Take stuff to salvation army myself
  • Take old phone to Apple for recycling
  • Recycle rest of old electronics kicking around unused
  • Write strength training program for friends
  • Write collegiate coaching bio
  • Edit collegiate coaching bio and send
  • Pick collegiate coaching picture and send

 

  • Like 4

 Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

Link to post
On 7/6/2019 at 2:05 PM, Mad Hatter said:

How do you train poise? :)

1) Find the position for Latin or Ballroom (both will have the hips sent back to the heels, the chest projected forward over the balls, the head over midfoot, and TVA, pelvic floor, and glutes engaged; ballroom will add sending the knees forward and the head back and to the left, countered by sending the chest to the right)

2) Ensure you can feel that positioning and sense when you've let it go

3) Work through fundamental movements (e.g. different rumba walks or cha cha chasses) and/or your choreography and tune into maintaining it while producing all your other action.

 Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

Link to post

Updated points, through the end of Week 1 (I'll write a bit more about yesterday and Saturday at some point, but this morning at work is kinda cray. Continued opportunity around sleep, and I really need to carve out some time for lesson planning sooner or later.

 

Running Point Total: 44.5 (still on track for LOUD shoes, but slowly slipping)

 

Hermione:

  • Work Day 1 Thing: 5/5, 4/4
  • Lesson Planning: 0/10
  • Grad school work: 4/6, 5/6
  • Sleeeeep: 3.5/7, 5/7

Ron:

  • Strength: 0/1, 1/1
  • Prehab / pilates: 2/1, 4/1

Harry: 11

Spoiler
  • Hang blackboard in room
  • Wall mount TV
  • Get floor lamp for living room
  • Assemble living room floor lamp
  • Move art panels over to make room for lamp
  • Put slide pads on living room furniture
  • Program thermostat for the summer
  • Car trunk of stuff to friend
  • Update voter registration
  • Label pantry containers
  • Drive to faraway gym and cancel membership
  • Set up smart lights (4 bulbs and a light strip - plus maybe a bonus lightstrip TBD)
  • Get allergist receipt and save for long term
  • Doctor 7/5
  • Haircut 7/15-ish
  • Get watch repaired
  • Make dessert bars for a friend's birthday party
  • Have friends over for a housewarming and/or pool party
  • Make appointment for stuff pick up
  • Make second doctor's appointment for STD testing
  • Go to second doctor's appointment?
  • Take stuff to salvation army myself
  • Take old phone to Apple for recycling
  • Recycle rest of old electronics kicking around unused
  • Write strength training program for friends
  • Write collegiate coaching bio
  • Edit collegiate coaching bio and send
  • Pick collegiate coaching picture and send

 

  • Like 4

 Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

Link to post

why is sleep so hard?? 

  • Like 2

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

Link to post
11 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Ah ok so it’s more postural than the to me more hazy idea of poise. 

Oh yes - much more about having all of your blocks in alignment to make the dancing come out great. Which creates the looks of the hazier concept of poise you're thinking of.

 

1 hour ago, CourtnieMarie said:

why is sleep so hard?? 

Good freaking question. It's like my brain thinks it needs to cram ALL THE THINGS into limited time and tries to fight against sleep as a result (totally unnecessary, brain, we can chill sometimes).

  • Like 3

 Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

Link to post
2 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Good freaking question. It's like my brain thinks it needs to cram ALL THE THINGS into limited time and tries to fight against sleep as a result (totally unnecessary, brain, we can chill sometimes).

 

Okay, sounds silly, but could it help if you told your brain something like "Thank you for bringing that up. I trust you to remember and deal with it tomorrow." and then visualise putting the thought somewhere safe for later?

  • Like 3

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

Link to post
16 hours ago, Harriet said:

 

Okay, sounds silly, but could it help if you told your brain something like "Thank you for bringing that up. I trust you to remember and deal with it tomorrow." and then visualise putting the thought somewhere safe for later?

wow. i need to try this.

  • Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

Link to post
17 hours ago, Harriet said:

Okay, sounds silly, but could it help if you told your brain something like "Thank you for bringing that up. I trust you to remember and deal with it tomorrow." and then visualise putting the thought somewhere safe for later?

I was being a little facetious on my end - it's less that anxious, racing thoughts keep me up, and more that many nights I'm not getting home until 15 minutes before ideal bedtime. So we have to settle for less than ideal bedtime by quickly changing clothes, throwing back some food, and reading for a bit to calm the mind.

 

Don't even know how many days' summary I owe y'all but here are the points through Week 2, Day 1:

 

Hermione:

  • Work Day 1 Thing: 5/5, 4/4, 1/5
  • Lesson Planning: 0/10
  • Grad school work: 4/6, 5/6, 1/6
  • Sleeeeep: 3.5/7, 5/7, 1/7

Ron:

  • Strength: 0/1, 1/1, 0/1
  • Prehab / pilates: 2/1, 4/1, 0/1

Harry: 11

Spoiler
  • Hang blackboard in room
  • Wall mount TV
  • Get floor lamp for living room
  • Assemble living room floor lamp
  • Move art panels over to make room for lamp
  • Put slide pads on living room furniture
  • Program thermostat for the summer
  • Car trunk of stuff to friend
  • Update voter registration
  • Label pantry containers
  • Drive to faraway gym and cancel membership
  • Set up smart lights (4 bulbs and a light strip - plus maybe a bonus lightstrip TBD)
  • Get allergist receipt and save for long term
  • Doctor 7/5
  • Haircut 7/15-ish
  • Get watch repaired
  • Make dessert bars for a friend's birthday party
  • Have friends over for a housewarming and/or pool party
  • Make appointment for stuff pick up
  • Make second doctor's appointment for STD testing
  • Go to second doctor's appointment?
  • Take stuff to salvation army myself
  • Take old phone to Apple for recycling
  • Recycle rest of old electronics kicking around unused
  • Write strength training program for friends
  • Write collegiate coaching bio
  • Edit collegiate coaching bio and send
  • Pick collegiate coaching picture and send

 

  • Like 5

 Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

Link to post
35 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

I was being a little facetious on my end - it's less that anxious, racing thoughts keep me up, and more that many nights I'm not getting home until 15 minutes before ideal bedtime. So we have to settle for less than ideal bedtime by quickly changing clothes, throwing back some food, and reading for a bit to calm the mind.

 

Oh, okay. Sometimes I'm drifting off and my mind is like "WAIT! What about (thing that I should deal with)?"

  • Like 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

Link to post
18 hours ago, Harriet said:

 

Okay, sounds silly, but could it help if you told your brain something like "Thank you for bringing that up. I trust you to remember and deal with it tomorrow." and then visualise putting the thought somewhere safe for later?

I have tried that before but my brain always screams "NO, DON'T TRUST ME TO REMEMBER THAT!!!  OMG, I THINK I ALMOST FORGOT IT ALREADY, THINKMOREABOUTITNOW!!!!!!"

 

Stupid brain :( 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

 

Link to post
On 7/4/2019 at 11:34 AM, Mike Wazowski said:

YES now I have grand visions of taking a shoe twins picture at some point in the distant future (but not so distant that IDS stops selling the practice shoe model).

 

OMG ok it's settled then.  This must happen!

 

On 7/4/2019 at 11:34 AM, Mike Wazowski said:

YES YES YES!!!! I am so excited!

 

So speaking of nerding out, some of my favorite bronze rumba syllabus figures, based on a comment on your thread that you don't love it:

  • A closed basic done in open hold ended with a side step into cuban rocks, then a progressive basic has a reallyyyyy cool flow for bronze (also introduces a styling of the lead using his/her right hand to direct the follow's right hip during the rock, which has a really coooool feeling when both partners roll with it)
  • Also love the development of the closed hip twist with extra total turn for the follow, especially since it sets up some cool uses of hockey stick and alemana with atypical amounts of turn (I love an overturned alemana in bronze)
  • The hockey stick ended open CPP is a cool variation too (we use it to go into 2x New Yorker, UAT to L, 2x Hand to Hand, Switch Turn, 2x Shoulder to Shoulder, Switch Turn, Side steps, 2x Cucaracha with my kiddos, which also has a nice flow for a set of pre-bronze figures)

Also love the volta turn within the reverse turn in samba (really advanced bronze variation) and the there and back in cha cha in terms of figures (and HIP BUMPS in jive :D)

 

We're starting to do curriculum planning for the college kiddos and I'm a little sad - I won't be doing the Latin curriculum, but I will have carte blanche to run with Rhythm when they're introduced to it

 

So much exciteeeee!!!

 

Oooh I like the sounds of that closed hip twist development! And yessss hip bumps, I've definitely got those in there :D For our samba at one point we have a lady's UA spot volta, whisk, 2x solo spot voltas, foot change (PP to shadow), traveling botafogos in shadow and that whole section makes me so happy haha. It's so spinny and way more exciting than a lot of other stuff in the bronze routines I feel like.

 

Side note: I am pretty impressed with myself for knowing what you're talking about in all of that honestly XD I have seriously come a long way from a little over a year ago and not even really understanding the difference between american and international, let alone figure names and such. Sometimes I get so wrapped up in how much I still have to work on I forget how far I've already come :)

 

On 7/4/2019 at 11:34 AM, Mike Wazowski said:

Hugs, and thank you!! It is perverse how much mental energy it can take to start getting professional help - but I'm starting to feel an energy high right now, which means it's the right time to start hunting for a good counselor or therapist - I'm planning to start with our local LGBT resource center and see if they have anyone who's got a lot of experience working with my particular background (coming out to oneself in adulthood, coming from a culturally Christian background - even if my home life wasn't strongly religious growing up).

 

It really truly is - I wish there were some way to make getting help easier or take less motivation.  I'm glad you're on the top end of the energy spectrum and thinking of taking advantage of it to take care of that though :) It can be so hard because sometimes when you're in that high place it's like oh do I really even need this? -sigh- mental health is so hard.  I don't know about in your location, but that sounds like a great place to start.  I know a lot of people who have had excellent therapist (and other resource) referrals from The Center up here. Good luck! More hugs!

 

On 7/4/2019 at 11:54 AM, Harriet said:

No idea what you just said, but I'm sold. I'll take three. 

 

XD I don't know why but this absolutely cracked me up. Three sounds appropriate.

 

On 7/6/2019 at 11:27 AM, Mike Wazowski said:

I don't feel like I'm full on Hermione-ing it, but I am solidly on track to hit upcoming deadlines very comfortably (and maybe even ahead of that bar).

 

You don't have to be going full out 100% of the time to be successful! Sounds like you're doing awesome :D

 

21 hours ago, Harriet said:

Okay, sounds silly, but could it help if you told your brain something like "Thank you for bringing that up. I trust you to remember and deal with it tomorrow." and then visualise putting the thought somewhere safe for later?

 

This!!! I started doing this (taking a cue from the "noting" meditation technique) and actually keep a little notebook next to my bed so if while I'm dozing off I start to get all wrapped in something I'm afraid I'll forget I just jot it down real quick, and immediately feel better and more relaxed.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
10 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

I was being a little facetious on my end - it's less that anxious, racing thoughts keep me up, and more that many nights I'm not getting home until 15 minutes before ideal bedtime. So we have to settle for less than ideal bedtime by quickly changing clothes, throwing back some food, and reading for a bit to calm the mind.

 

Alternatively... take the time to slowly change clothes. Then sit down and eat mindfully and enjoy every bite. Then read for a while, calm the mind, and go to bed a half hour or more alter than you planned to, but sleep much better. Maybe? :)

 

8 hours ago, Raxie said:

 

This!!! I started doing this (taking a cue from the "noting" meditation technique) and actually keep a little notebook next to my bed so if while I'm dozing off I start to get all wrapped in something I'm afraid I'll forget I just jot it down real quick, and immediately feel better and more relaxed.

 

Checklists are our friends. :)

  • Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29

Link to post
9 hours ago, Raxie said:

OMG ok it's settled then.  This must happen!

Deal. I'll keep chugging along to make it happen!

 

9 hours ago, Raxie said:

So much exciteeeee!!!

 

Oooh I like the sounds of that closed hip twist development! And yessss hip bumps, I've definitely got those in there :D For our samba at one point we have a lady's UA spot volta, whisk, 2x solo spot voltas, foot change (PP to shadow), traveling botafogos in shadow and that whole section makes me so happy haha. It's so spinny and way more exciting than a lot of other stuff in the bronze routines I feel like.

It's pretty fantabulous! And I loooove spot voltas and shadow work in bronze - so cool when done well!

 

9 hours ago, Raxie said:

Side note: I am pretty impressed with myself for knowing what you're talking about in all of that honestly XD I have seriously come a long way from a little over a year ago and not even really understanding the difference between american and international, let alone figure names and such. Sometimes I get so wrapped up in how much I still have to work on I forget how far I've already come :)

YESSSSSS I'm proud of you for that!

 

9 hours ago, Raxie said:

It really truly is - I wish there were some way to make getting help easier or take less motivation.  I'm glad you're on the top end of the energy spectrum and thinking of taking advantage of it to take care of that though :) It can be so hard because sometimes when you're in that high place it's like oh do I really even need this? -sigh- mental health is so hard.  I don't know about in your location, but that sounds like a great place to start.  I know a lot of people who have had excellent therapist (and other resource) referrals from The Center up here. Good luck! More hugs!

Thank you so, so much. Like you said, it's easy to assume during the highs that you don't need help - I've certainly been guilty of that. But there's some stuff, probably lots, that I should process with professional help, if nothing more than to get the clarity that comes from thinking out loud.

 

9 hours ago, Raxie said:

XD I don't know why but this absolutely cracked me up. Three sounds appropriate.

Because three alemanas? :P

 

9 hours ago, Raxie said:

You don't have to be going full out 100% of the time to be successful! Sounds like you're doing awesome :D

:D I need that reminder - cause hermione gets tired some days.

 

9 hours ago, Raxie said:

This!!! I started doing this (taking a cue from the "noting" meditation technique) and actually keep a little notebook next to my bed so if while I'm dozing off I start to get all wrapped in something I'm afraid I'll forget I just jot it down real quick, and immediately feel better and more relaxed.

I like it! I definitely use my BuJo as a way to avoid stressing about remembering things (because I've never *actually* forgotten anything yet, but I always worry I will).

 

7 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Alternatively... take the time to slowly change clothes. Then sit down and eat mindfully and enjoy every bite. Then read for a while, calm the mind, and go to bed a half hour or more alter than you planned to, but sleep much better. Maybe? :)

Shoot! Again, my facetious side didn't translate well on the internet - I'm pretty chill about my bedtime. If I'm getting home late, I don't really try to rush it, just take my time and let things take the time that they'll take.

 

Updates / highlights from the past couple days:

  • GREAT guest coaching from a visiting world champion - got my partner and I lots of clarity on how we want to approach our dancing (moral of the story: we're going to make sure we always look like two dudes being dudes - which is an LOL-worthy phrase) and she used me as an example of good butt shaking during her group class (technically it was for good musicality, but I was shaking my butt so...good butt shaking it is!)
  • Tonight, I figured out that my dryer wasn't actually fully hooked up, exhaust wise, so the dusty hot air was going into my apartment - I did some taping of the pipe to the dryer and the wall exhaust and now it's much quieter and throwing off much less heat. For sure awarding myself an unplanned Harry point
  • Didn't do a ton of grad school work, but I think I'm planning on backing off on my daily work plan - instead, based on a productivity article I'll post in a second, I plan on holding myself to accomplishing a certain amount of grad school work as a project over the course of a week, and I'll award points out of 6 based on how much I did (article: https://www.scotthyoung.com/blog/2007/10/18/the-art-of-the-finish-how-to-go-from-busy-to-accomplished/)
  • I had a really nice drinks date with a guy on Saturday, and I'm excited about a possible second time seeing him
  • I also managed to fit in quite a bit of pilates and ankle prehab over the weekend during dance warmups, which is good cause my body took a beating with the new info (but I'm soooooo excited for where things are going!)
  • Work's been kind of a beatdown - I feel like projects are piling up and the deadlines are unreasonably rapid, especially given that the work culture requires me to pause for guests popping by to interrupt me all the time
  • Like 5

 Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

Link to post
1 hour ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Shoot! Again, my facetious side didn't translate well on the internet - I'm pretty chill about my bedtime. If I'm getting home late, I don't really try to rush it, just take my time and let things take the time that they'll take.

 

In that case, disregard everything I said in my previous post! :P

 

1 hour ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Work's been kind of a beatdown - I feel like projects are piling up and the deadlines are unreasonably rapid, especially given that the work culture requires me to pause for guests popping by to interrupt me all the time 

 

Ugh, I hate when people do that! Do they not realize that we are trying to work here and we have neither the time nor any desire, to socialize with anyone? And if they stop by to interrupt for work reasons, that is really absolutely no excuse. Momentum takes time to rediscover, once it has been lost to an impromptu visit.

 

I find that wearing obvious headphones and ignoring people the first time they talk to me, works wonders for reducing the amount of interruptions I have to put up with every day.

  • Like 3

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29

Link to post
30 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

I find that wearing obvious headphones and ignoring people the first time they talk to me, works wonders for reducing the amount of interruptions I have to put up with every day.

 

Love it. Maybe you could experiment with ignoring people twice. I mean, if they don't try three times, they're not really committed, right? 

  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

Link to post
10 minutes ago, Harriet said:

 

Love it. Maybe you could experiment with ignoring people twice. I mean, if they don't try three times, they're not really committed, right? 

 

That is sooo tempting...! But the majority of people I work with on a daily basis have learned to send me a quick IM and ask if I have time to talk, rather than just coming over without warning. :)

  • Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29

Link to post
9 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Deal. I'll keep chugging along to make it happen!

 

Yussssss! Shoe buddies! I look forward to twin pictures :D

 

9 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

It's pretty fantabulous! And I loooove spot voltas and shadow work in bronze - so cool when done well!

 

Fingers crossed I pull it off well XD

 

9 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Thank you so, so much. Like you said, it's easy to assume during the highs that you don't need help - I've certainly been guilty of that. But there's some stuff, probably lots, that I should process with professional help, if nothing more than to get the clarity that comes from thinking out loud.

 

I honestly think everyone everywhere could benefit from therapy - I think a large part of it really is just what you said, having the space and freedom to talk things out with yourself with a little (or a lot) of guidance.

 

9 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Because three alemanas? :P

 

Or my arch enemy three threes lmao

 

9 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

GREAT guest coaching from a visiting world champion - got my partner and I lots of clarity on how we want to approach our dancing (moral of the story: we're going to make sure we always look like two dudes being dudes - which is an LOL-worthy phrase) and she used me as an example of good butt shaking during her group class (technically it was for good musicality, but I was shaking my butt so...good butt shaking it is!)

 

Ooooh who was it??

 

Yay for musical butts! XD XD

 

9 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Didn't do a ton of grad school work, but I think I'm planning on backing off on my daily work plan - instead, based on a productivity article I'll post in a second, I plan on holding myself to accomplishing a certain amount of grad school work as a project over the course of a week, and I'll award points out of 6 based on how much I did (article: https://www.scotthyoung.com/blog/2007/10/18/the-art-of-the-finish-how-to-go-from-busy-to-accomplished/)

 

Are you just going to do big work effort pushes a few days a week instead then? I find that I get way more done that way vs doing a little each day.

 

9 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

I had a really nice drinks date with a guy on Saturday, and I'm excited about a possible second time seeing him

 

Hooray for good dates!

 

9 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

I also managed to fit in quite a bit of pilates and ankle prehab over the weekend during dance warmups, which is good cause my body took a beating with the new info (but I'm soooooo excited for where things are going!)

 

I've been taking a modern dance class once a week and the whole first 1/3 of the class is basically pilates/mobility/prehab stuff and it's honestly worth it just for that.  I love it so much.

 

7 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

That is sooo tempting...! But the majority of people I work with on a daily basis have learned to send me a quick IM and ask if I have time to talk, rather than just coming over without warning. :)

 

Wow we really may actually be the same person XD

  • Like 1
Link to post
10 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

In that case, disregard everything I said in my previous post! :P

:P and I'll make an effort to be less sarcastic on the internet without my sarcasm fonttttttt

 

10 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Ugh, I hate when people do that! Do they not realize that we are trying to work here and we have neither the time nor any desire, to socialize with anyone? And if they stop by to interrupt for work reasons, that is really absolutely no excuse. Momentum takes time to rediscover, once it has been lost to an impromptu visit.

 

I find that wearing obvious headphones and ignoring people the first time they talk to me, works wonders for reducing the amount of interruptions I have to put up with every day.

Sadly, that doesn't work. I think the walk over to my desk is long enough that once they're here, they're going to freaking interrupt. Thankfully, I'm good at working off just a laptop screen, so I plan to "go dark" to get shit done when I need to (like during big work pushes). Cause I'm like a heavyweight on MarioKart, I can build up a lot of momentum but the acceleration is slooooow.

 

45 minutes ago, Raxie said:

Yussssss! Shoe buddies! I look forward to twin pictures :D

:D :D :D :D

 

45 minutes ago, Raxie said:

Fingers crossed I pull it off well XD

XD I'm sure it's excellent. And that you'll hate how you danced it in 5 years, regardless of how good it is now.

 

45 minutes ago, Raxie said:

I honestly think everyone everywhere could benefit from therapy - I think a large part of it really is just what you said, having the space and freedom to talk things out with yourself with a little (or a lot) of guidance.

++++++++1 (or a billion). Truly wish I could talk my parents into trying it, but I know that'll be a long, long process of wearing them down.

 

45 minutes ago, Raxie said:

Or my arch enemy three threes lmao

LMAO! I love 'em, but for the leads they're legit just a series of cucarachas, sooooo *shrug*. I guess we help you with the spins, in theory.

 

45 minutes ago, Raxie said:

Ooooh who was it??

 

Yay for musical butts! XD XD

Barbara McColl! First time meeting her, and I ADORE her. She was really, really excellent at working with all our teen and pre-teen girls that I saw taking lessons with her, too.

 

45 minutes ago, Raxie said:

Are you just going to do big work effort pushes a few days a week instead then? I find that I get way more done that way vs doing a little each day.

That's the plan! I think it honestly works better with how I've traditionally done stuff - some lazy days and some high effort days, rather than trying to do little chunks of stuff each day and never really finishing a project.

 

45 minutes ago, Raxie said:

Hooray for good dates!

:D

 

45 minutes ago, Raxie said:

I've been taking a modern dance class once a week and the whole first 1/3 of the class is basically pilates/mobility/prehab stuff and it's honestly worth it just for that.  I love it so much.

Niiiiiiice!

 

Week 2, Day 2: Work, which included way too many interruptions and a late, unproductive feeling meeting. Would not recommend either to anyone who doesn't want more pain in their lives. But still got to the studio in time to teach one of my two classes, which ended up being a one-on-one going deep on mechanics of swing and sway with one of my 15-year-olds. Easily the highlight, because then it was time to head home and do laundry and work on grad school projects, during which I discovered that my dryer's air vent pipe thing had become disconnected from the wall. I had to be a bit of a clever monkey to get in there and reattach it, complete with climbing on top of my washer to slide into the small gap I could make and using some foil tape from an old dryer install to try and seal the foil pipe thing up to both the machine and the wall exhaust. Thankfully, once it was done, the dryer ran much quieter and with way less hot, dusty air being dumped into the apartment. And that was pretty much it for the day, because by then I was poooooped.

 

Running point total: 52.5 (officially earned my low-level reward!)

 

Hermione:

  • Work Day 1 Thing: 5/5, 4/4, 2/5
  • Lesson Planning: 0/10
  • Grad school work: 4/6, 5/6, 2/6
  • Sleeeeep: 3.5/7, 5/7, 2/7

Ron:

  • Strength: 0/1, 1/1, 0/1
  • Prehab / pilates: 2/1, 4/1, 1/1

Harry: 12

Spoiler
  • Hang blackboard in room
  • Wall mount TV
  • Get floor lamp for living room
  • Assemble living room floor lamp
  • Move art panels over to make room for lamp
  • Put slide pads on living room furniture
  • Hook up dryer pipe
  • Program thermostat for the summer
  • Car trunk of stuff to friend
  • Update voter registration
  • Label pantry containers
  • Drive to faraway gym and cancel membership
  • Set up smart lights (4 bulbs and a light strip - plus maybe a bonus lightstrip TBD)
  • Get allergist receipt and save for long term
  • Doctor 7/5
  • Haircut 7/15-ish
  • Get watch repaired
  • Make dessert bars for a friend's birthday party
  • Have friends over for a housewarming and/or pool party
  • Make appointment for stuff pick up
  • Make second doctor's appointment for STD testing
  • Go to second doctor's appointment?
  • Take stuff to salvation army myself
  • Take old phone to Apple for recycling
  • Recycle rest of old electronics kicking around unused
  • Write strength training program for friends
  • Write collegiate coaching bio
  • Edit collegiate coaching bio and send
  • Pick collegiate coaching picture and send

 

  • Like 3

 Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

Link to post
1 hour ago, Mike Wazowski said:

I discovered that my dryer's air vent pipe thing had become disconnected from the wall. I had to be a bit of a clever monkey to get in there and reattach it, complete with climbing on top of my washer to slide into the small gap I could make and using some foil tape from an old dryer install to try and seal the foil pipe thing up to both the machine and the wall exhaust. Thankfully, once it was done, the dryer ran much quieter and with way less hot, dusty air being dumped into the apartment. And that was pretty much it for the day, because by then I was poooooped.

 

 

I am impressed by your handiness. I wouldn't dare attempt to repair a machine for fear of making it worse. 

  • Thanks 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

Link to post
13 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Updates / highlights from the past couple days:

  • GREAT guest coaching from a visiting world champion - got my partner and I lots of clarity on how we want to approach our dancing (moral of the story: we're going to make sure we always look like two dudes being dudes - which is an LOL-worthy phrase) and she used me as an example of good butt shaking during her group class (technically it was for good musicality, but I was shaking my butt so...good butt shaking it is!)

AWESOMEEEE. :D 

 

13 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:
  • I also managed to fit in quite a bit of pilates and ankle prehab over the weekend during dance warmups, which is good cause my body took a beating with the new info (but I'm soooooo excited for where things are going!)

Safe ankles are a dream. <3 

  • Thanks 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines