Mike Wazowski: When to Try HARD, and when to chillll

55 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Can I take class with you? :lol:

DOOO IT!!!! It just might require like, moving continents and maybe enrolling in a graduate program if you wanna join that collegiate team. :P

55 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Famous last words :P 

Indeed :lol: now I know better!

Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

4 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Saturday: Dance practice all morning, then some errands (knocking out a couple Harry to do list items) and met up with one of my best friends for what I was planning to be only one drink. But we made some new friends at the bar, hung out for a bit, and then decided to head over to my neighborhood and check out another bar. We were there til about 2 am (bar close)

200.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

20 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Sounds reasonable.

Honestly, might be less crazy than a lot of things I've done for dance (see: 250 miles each way multiple weekends a month to practice with a long-distance partner).

18 hours ago, raptron said:

200.gif

AHHHH YES! Weekend goals, achieved.

Week 4, Day 1: Interesting day in both my real life and my internal life. At work, I got the one thing I needed to get done, done and had a good convo with my boss about priorities and what's on my place. Internally, I got to a place of clarity as well - I realized that while both my career tracks (analytical and dance) are interesting right now, my competitive dance career has a shorter timeline in which I can really go for it (i.e. I probably can't compete as a professional dancer much past 40, but can certainly be an analyst past that point if I decide). That clarity really helped me get comfortable with a decision to set some FIRM work-life balance boundaries at work (i.e. I will NOT stay late for pretty much anything) and emphasizing even more my own dancing practice plus teaching. Managed to duck out at lunch to work on grad school stuff and got quite a bit done (1.5 lectures knocked out - only 1.5 more in this unit, plus a homework and a project, all due by next Wednesday). And after work, taught a couple pretty good dance classes (I had fun at least, TBD if the students did - but there were some lightbulb moments!) and then met up with a different one of my co-teachers for the college kids to walk him through my ballroom plan and find out what seemed way out of reach for the kiddos. Thankfully, most seemed appropriately challenging and not bonkers hard, but I did need to pull back the difficulty on a couple bits (or at least have a contingency plan ready to go). Also, got to bed with plenty of sleep AFTER a good stretchy session while the lights dimmed out. :)

Running point total: 99

Hermione: 67

• Work Day 1 Thing: 5/5, 4/4, 5/5, 5/5, 1/5
  • Lesson Planning: 10/10
  • Grad school work: 4/6, 5/6, 6/6, 3/6, 1.5/6
  • Sleeeeep: 3.5/7, 5/7, 6/7, 3/7, 1/7

Ron: 14

• Strength: 0/1, 1/1, 0/1, 1/1, 0/1
  • Prehab / pilates: 2/1, 4/1, 3/1, 2/1, 1/1

Harry: 18

• Like 5

On 7/18/2019 at 12:27 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

Haha thanks for the reminder that I need to actually post videos now and again - partner and I are so bad about that - but slowly maybe getting better.

It's so satsifying to track progress! I was feeling down on myself the other day until I compared some older videos to current ones and was like WOW I guess I really am improving?! I feel like it's also good just to see yourself for self critiquing and stuff.  I'm eternally mesmerized by that capability because growing up dancing I saw myself dancing once a year on VHS tapes and eventually DVDs of my recital lmao.

If you find it, let me know!! I tried and couldn't - but I did find an old school blog post where someone interviewed her about it - apparently her and Sammy changed it on the fly because their planned choreo didn't fit the music that was playing AT ALL - really shows how she lives her 

ACK I couldn't find it! That is so ridiculous though I almost can't believe it.

Hehe I'm not sure they taste very good. :P And given where my points are trending, I placed my order with the hopes that they arrive before I start teaching my college kids in the fall - I'd *love* to be *that* teacher with the loud shoes from day one, haha.

I'm definitely going to get flack from people in my studio about them for being so extra but WHATEVER.  I'll take it.

like I know it, but the validation felt good!

Validation is the best! Especially if you're already having a not-so-great/hectic day. This is awesome!

Oh! And I forgot to add, I finally wrote and sent my coaching bio for the college kids, along with a picture from a recent competition where I have my "squirrel found a cocaine stash" face on. Highlights from the bio:

• Mentioned that I can explain the quantum physics behind non-incandescent light bulbs
  • Declared that I'm trying to be a bigger nerd than two of the other coaches
  • Mentioning my obsession with Trader Joe's - seems like a relevant personality quirk

This all seems incredibly relevant and info like this should be included in everyones bios.

On 7/19/2019 at 10:09 AM, Mike Wazowski said:

Hehe I think it was actually a little muted, but the past guest coaching included some talk about my face and eyes being too "penetrating" when I dance (along with my partner's, and yes, the coach did not avoid making the expected dirty jokes) and as a result I've really landed on a face I visualize as "squirrel on cocaine" for cha cha and jive. :D You'll hopefully notice it in videos I post in the future. 

Ballroom faces are hilarious.  I will never get over them XD. I used to think contemporary faces were insane but ballroom definitely wins. Especially some of those rumba faces hahah. I might channel the squirrel on cocaine vibe because my cha cha face is definitely not upbeat enough at all lmao

22 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Saturday: Dance practice all morning, then some errands (knocking out a couple Harry to do list items) and met up with one of my best friends for what I was planning to be only one drink. But we made some new friends at the bar, hung out for a bit, and then decided to head over to my neighborhood and check out another bar. We were there til about 2 am (bar close) and learned that 1) she and I have pretty similar taste in men (lol) and 2) I have a knack for picking guys who are already in relationships out of a crowd (haha). It was fun romping around with a best friend I haven't gotten a chance to spend much time with regardless.

Aw yay that sounds so nice! Especially since life sounds it's been pretty insane for you lately.  2AM bar-ventures with best friends are sometimes just what the doctor ordered :)

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

That clarity really helped me get comfortable with a decision to set some FIRM work-life balance boundaries at work (i.e. I will NOT stay late for pretty much anything) and emphasizing even more my own dancing practice plus teaching.

Good for you. I hope more of this spreads as the work to live people begin to outnumber the live to work people.

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

23 hours ago, Raxie said:

It's so satsifying to track progress! I was feeling down on myself the other day until I compared some older videos to current ones and was like WOW I guess I really am improving?! I feel like it's also good just to see yourself for self critiquing and stuff.  I'm eternally mesmerized by that capability because growing up dancing I saw myself dancing once a year on VHS tapes and eventually DVDs of my recital lmao.

Hahaha oh the dark ages! We're spoiled nowadays, that's for sure!

ACK I couldn't find it! That is so ridiculous though I almost can't believe it.

Haha I almost don't believe it, but it seems like a ludicrous thing to make up, so I do believe it!

I'm definitely going to get flack from people in my studio about them for being so extra but WHATEVER.  I'll take it.

Eh, screw it! I haven't told any of my co-teachers yet, I'm kinda thinking I just make day 1 of class the day that they find out I'm wearing them. :lol:

Validation is the best! Especially if you're already having a not-so-great/hectic day. This is awesome!

This all seems incredibly relevant and info like this should be included in everyones bios.

:D

Ballroom faces are hilarious.  I will never get over them XD. I used to think contemporary faces were insane but ballroom definitely wins. Especially some of those rumba faces hahah. I might channel the squirrel on cocaine vibe because my cha cha face is definitely not upbeat enough at all lmao

Haha I'm now crowd sourcing names for my cocaine addled squirrel alter ego. :D

Aw yay that sounds so nice! Especially since life sounds it's been pretty insane for you lately.  2AM bar-ventures with best friends are sometimes just what the doctor ordered :)

For. Sure!

23 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Good for you. I hope more of this spreads as the work to live people begin to outnumber the live to work people.

I mean....arguably I'm still living to work, but it's work I'm passionate about that doesn't feel like work at least half the time.

Week 4, Day 2 Drive-by: Kinda feeling meh all day, but got through the work day and was able to leave at a reasonable hour, plus I had a nice journaling / grad school session over lunch (including finishing the homework assignment for this unit, so I'm mostly back on track after taking over a week off from working on grad school stuff). Dance teaching went well, I'm very much settling into a comfort with most of my new kiddos, which is feeling really nice (and seems to help the learning process). Then had a really solid lesson with our main coach after teaching, which was nice - first lesson since the guest coach almost 3 weeks ago, and it was our chance to vet the adjustments we tried to make based on her feedback. We were on the right track on some, we got gently chastised for one (where we didn't modify a section so much as completely cut it and sub in our own idea - on the plus side, he liked our idea and found a way to incorporate it into the old section, so still a win). Really excited where all that is going and excited to see the results on video from our next competition! (Which is still 3+ months away)

Running point total: 100+ (ding ding! we aren't a bozo for ordering the 100-point reward already!)

Hermione: 

• Work Day 1 Thing: 5/5, 4/4, 5/5, 5/5, 2/5
  • Lesson Planning: 10/10
  • Grad school work: 4/6, 5/6, 6/6, 3/6, 3/6
  • Sleeeeep: 3.5/7, 5/7, 6/7, 3/7, 2/7

Ron: 

• Strength: 0/1, 1/1, 0/1, 1/1, 0/1
  • Prehab / pilates: 2/1, 4/1, 3/1, 2/1, 2/1

Harry: 18

• Like 4

On 7/23/2019 at 5:26 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

Internally, I got to a place of clarity as well - I realized that while both my career tracks (analytical and dance) are interesting right now, my competitive dance career has a shorter timeline in which I can really go for it (i.e. I probably can't compete as a professional dancer much past 40, but can certainly be an analyst past that point if I decide). That clarity really helped me get comfortable with a decision to set some FIRM work-life balance boundaries at work (i.e. I will NOT stay late for pretty much anything) and emphasizing even more my own dancing practice plus teaching

Yes! So important! Is your boss onboard as well?

• Like 1
On 7/23/2019 at 7:26 AM, Mike Wazowski said:

I realized that while both my career tracks (analytical and dance) are interesting right now, my competitive dance career has a shorter timeline in which I can really go for it (i.e. I probably can't compete as a professional dancer much past 40, but can certainly be an analyst past that point if I decide). That clarity really helped me get comfortable with a decision to set some FIRM work-life balance boundaries at work (i.e. I will NOT stay late for pretty much anything) and emphasizing even more my own dancing practice plus teaching.

Super important insights! So many of us never figure out what's important to us or we do but don't make it happen. I'm so pleased for you. Dance!!! Dance like time is finite!!!

• Like 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

Agree with everyone else on the awesomeness of your firm life/work boundaries clarity. :D 

33 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Dance teaching went well, I'm very much settling into a comfort with most of my new kiddos, which is feeling really nice (and seems to help the learning process). Then had a really solid lesson with our main coach after teaching, which was nice - first lesson since the guest coach almost 3 weeks ago, and it was our chance to vet the adjustments we tried to make based on her feedback. We were on the right track on some, we got gently chastised for one (where we didn't modify a section so much as completely cut it and sub in our own idea - on the plus side, he liked our idea and found a way to incorporate it into the old section, so still a win). Really excited where all that is going and excited to see the results on video from our next competition! (Which is still 3+ months away)

Sounds like a great dance day. :)

33 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Running point total: 100+ (ding ding! we aren't a bozo for ordering the 100-point reward already!)

WOOT! 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Yes! So important! Is your boss onboard as well?

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Super important insights! So many of us never figure out what's important to us or we do but don't make it happen. I'm so pleased for you. Dance!!! Dance like time is finite!!!

1 hour ago, raptron said:

Agree with everyone else on the awesomeness of your firm life/work boundaries clarity. :D 

Thanks, y'all!! It is a great feeling to know what's important to me right now and have a plan of how I'm gonna go after it - so freeing, for sure! Hatter, not sure how on board my boss will be, but he currently can't afford to lose me, so I think I'll be fine. :)

Sounds like a great dance day. :)

:D that it was!

WOOT! 

giphy.gif

...now I just need to wait for the factory that makes the shoes to come back from summer holiday. Cause apparently that's a thing, lol.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2019 at 7:43 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

Hatter, not sure how on board my boss will be, but he currently can't afford to lose me, so I think I'll be fine. :)

Win-win!

On 7/24/2019 at 7:43 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

..now I just need to wait for the factory that makes the shoes to come back from summer holiday. Cause apparently that's a thing, lol.

That’s right, you don’t live in Scandinavia. :P July shutdown is very much a thing.

• Haha 2
On 7/24/2019 at 10:46 AM, Mike Wazowski said:

Haha I'm now crowd sourcing names for my cocaine addled squirrel alter ego. :D

You should copyright it. XD

I'm very much settling into a comfort with most of my new kiddos, which is feeling really nice

How does it work with the cycle of new kids every year? Do you only teach a certain age group so you lose and gain kids each year or is it just from the flux of people moving around or you teaching different styles?

we got gently chastised for one

Haha this reminds me of how gently possessive my teachers in my studio get of their main students, whenever any of us takes a lesson with one of the other ones they're each like (to their main student) "WHAT DID THEY SAY?! TELL ME EVERYTHING." It cracks me up.

Yesssss shoesss!!!

AcclaimedInfamousGnat-small.gif

• Like 1
On 7/24/2019 at 6:43 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

not sure how on board my boss will be, but he currently can't afford to lose me, so I think I'll be fine. :)

ha ha that's the way to go about it :lol:

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

On 7/25/2019 at 2:47 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Win-win!

On 7/25/2019 at 2:47 PM, Mad Hatter said:

That’s right, you don’t live in Scandinavia. :P July shutdown is very much a thing.

:P no, we're lucky if most workers get more than 2 weeks of paid vacation a year - which may or may not be separate from their sick days. America has a crummy system, haha.

On 7/26/2019 at 6:40 AM, Raxie said:

You should copyright it. XD

Let's see if he's a hit with the judges first though!

How does it work with the cycle of new kids every year? Do you only teach a certain age group so you lose and gain kids each year or is it just from the flux of people moving around or you teaching different styles?

Oh right, dunno if I've ever clarified that - there is no real "normal" because the program is only 3 years old, but we'll generally get a new crop of students joining each year and most (almost all) of our existing students continue year to year, so 

Haha this reminds me of how gently possessive my teachers in my studio get of their main students, whenever any of us takes a lesson with one of the other ones they're each like (to their main student) "WHAT DID THEY SAY?! TELL ME EVERYTHING." It cracks me up.

Hahahaha yep - or in this case, it's that we messed with his baby by altering the choreo. :P

Yesssss shoesss!!!

AcclaimedInfamousGnat-small.gif

10 minutes ago, @mu said:

ha ha that's the way to go about it :lol:

:lol: indeed!!! Nothing like getting a little power back to the employees in the big ole capitalist system!

Challenge Wrap Up:

Just got back from a weekend hanging out with college friends along the sunny shores of Lake Erie - weather was perfect, company was perfect, and I came back feeling refreshed if more than a little hungover. Really excited to kick next challenge's teeth in once I get a chance to get a little sleep tonight (today is my one day I can get away with running on fumes before I KNOW the wheels will fall off if I don't rest).

Overall, I'm really happy with what I did this challenge - I made time for sleep most nights, I focused on being productive at work, but not killing myself or letting my work-life balance boundaries become too permeable, I did mostly the bare minimum in the gym, and got a lot of little items here and there done (and stayed on top of some tough grad school work). I did some reflecting over the weekend as well, and I think I know where I'll go with the next challenge (it'll emphasize both fitness and mindfulness stuff more) but still need to flesh it out a bit. Maybe I'll be taking a proper zero week, for once?

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Overall, I'm really happy with what I did this challenge - I made time for sleep most nights, I focused on being productive at work, but not killing myself or letting my work-life balance boundaries become too permeable, I did mostly the bare minimum in the gym, and got a lot of little items here and there done (and stayed on top of some tough grad school work). I did some reflecting over the weekend as well, and I think I know where I'll go with the next challenge (it'll emphasize both fitness and mindfulness stuff more) but still need to flesh it out a bit. Maybe I'll be taking a proper zero week, for once?

Excellent, especially not letting the work overgrow its boundaries. And sleep. Mmm, sleep. 

• Like 2

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

wonderful challenge feels! and proper zero week would be in good order :D 

• Like 2

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

23 hours ago, Harriet said:

Excellent, especially not letting the work overgrow its boundaries. And sleep. Mmm, sleep. 

All the sleep - just got new sheets as well, which should make sleep feel even more glorious. :D

23 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

wonderful challenge feels! and proper zero week would be in good order :D 

:D most definitely - though I wasted no time in deciding upon goals, haha.

6 hours ago, Raxie said:

Yay it sounds like you had a really good challenge and hit all the things you wanted to! Glad you were able to find some balance :)

:D for sure! And now, on to the next challenge!

New challenge is live!

• Like 3