• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Manarelle

Recovery and down time [Manarelle]

Recommended Posts

On 7/7/2019 at 11:42 AM, Lightning said:

Ugh, so sorry you are having back issues!  Mine goes out on me once every year or two, usually from something stupid like a sneeze while bending over.  I've been better since I started getting myofascial massages and working on my hip mobility.  Still have to be extra mindful whenever I workout though.  It's just too easy for me to get lazy with my form when I'm tired.  

 

Oof, ouch. No sneezing while bending over. :) I know the feeling though, all of my "big" scars are like.... a dog jumped up on me too excitedly. Or hey I didn't notice that broken antenna when I was pushing a car to help a friend, stupid stuff like that. Such is life.

 

On 7/7/2019 at 11:42 AM, Lightning said:

Thor sounds like it is going to be amazing.  I LOVE to cosplay but mine are more closet-play since i don't sew. Any chance we can see pics of some of the pieces?

 

Thor is actually my first foray into thermoplastics. I do a fair amount of sewing, but this was wildly different and lots of fun. Pictures of the finished outfit are here, and I'll probably do a couple blog type posts later to show the creation process. What have you done for cosplay? I'm always interested to see what other people come up with. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Manarelle said:

 

Thor is actually my first foray into thermoplastics. I do a fair amount of sewing, but this was wildly different and lots of fun. Pictures of the finished outfit are here, and I'll probably do a couple blog type posts later to show the creation process. What have you done for cosplay? I'm always interested to see what other people come up with. 

 

Thor is amazing!!  Your lines are so clean!  I am in a plasti-dip group but haven’t actually done it. Some day I’d like to make a shield just because.

Ive cosplayed as Hedwig, made white wings that attached to my sleeves. I did a steampunk outfit that was a blast to make. I mostly help my kids with their stuff then put something simple together for myself. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2019 at 9:16 PM, Manarelle said:

Link to google photos album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/t3KpCLSw7TJ4pQ4ZA 

 

It's the last 4 videos looking at the weight racks and a guy in a blue shirt in the background. I attempted different styles, and kept the weights light a) so as not to re-screw-up my back, and b) so the large weight plates wouldn't block form check. Looks like I started squats at 3x10 at 45# in August of 2018, worked up to 4x8 at 75# as of last month, then started having issues when I added the first set of 80#. 

  • 47 seconds: Started with 40# (TOTALLY NOT lame), usual setup, hold, depth, grip, etc. 

I don't love the first two reps of this set, but after that, they look pretty good.They're all bit higher than parallel, like you said, but the positioning looks fine to me. They look stable, though not quite consistent. The first two, you start bending over with your chest before your butt has really gone anywhere, so that is probably why you ended up extra high on them. Does your back hurt when you are doing these or only after? If you do them just like this, does it bother you or is it if you go too deep and notice that back rounding feeling? 

 

On 7/8/2019 at 9:16 PM, Manarelle said:
  • 51 seconds: Upped weight to 45# (still NOT AT ALL lame). Knee pop began on 2nd squat, despite specifically tracking to keep that in line with toes. Tried to focus more on butt out first, and almost went backward... which is why I go knees forward of toes and my torso comes down so low - if I don't, I go backwards. 

Definitely don't worry about keeping "in line with your toes" -- you've got pretty long femurs and there's actually no real science about not going over your toes. It's totally fine to do. I don't really like these as much as the first set. I don't think those were helpful cues for you.

On 7/8/2019 at 9:16 PM, Manarelle said:
  • 51 seconds - front squats: Not horrible but felt awkward and I'm sure I was holding the bar wrong. Hurts when I rest it on my arms.

Your front rack position isn't quite there yet. You'd want your upper arms parallel with the ground rather than dipping towards it. If where the weight is resting hurts, that's actually normal, but if your wrists/elbows/etc. hurt, your mobility might just not be ready for it yet. Front squats in the front rack position are actually very difficult for people to get to mobility-wise, while goblet squats are a very similar position and hit the same things without the mobility requirements. I'd definitely recommend goblet squats over front squats in the mean time. 

 

On 7/8/2019 at 9:16 PM, Manarelle said:
  • 54 seconds - raised heels: Had to keep my feet less than a foot apart to stay on the plate, and it super targeted my quads, which I didn't like. 

I don't have enough familiarity with looking at these type of squats to give good feedback.

 

On 7/8/2019 at 9:16 PM, Manarelle said:

Looking at these, I'd say I'm probably still not getting my thighs to horizontal, but I feel like if I go lower, my lower back curves under or I lose balance backward. Advice is welcome. 

Yeah, I'd say most of these squats were a little high. I'd be curious to see a video where you try to go to depth, just to see where the form breaking point is actually coming from. If you lose balance backward when going low, it IS probably your ankles. BUT, that rep where you lost your balance in the 2nd video, your heels weren't coming off of the ground at all, so it looked more like a cueing hips issue to me than a mobility issue.

 

You can work on paused squats (bodyweight) to try to get the order of operations going a bit better (aka pushing back through with your hips at the same time you start to stand up with your chest). I also always recommend hanging out in the deep squat (bodyweight) position for longer periods of time. If you can't get very low without feeling like you are going to fall over (or actually falling over), you can hold on to a pole, door frame, or other type of support to help you get nice and in the hole! 

 

@KB Girl ACTUALLY coaches, so she probably has more concrete feedback to give. I'm just an enthusiast. :P

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: Front Squat

 

Rack on your shoulders, not your hands. 

 

I've made a quick demo vid for you.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, raptron said:

@KB Girl ACTUALLY coaches, so she probably has more concrete feedback to give. I'm just an enthusiast. :P

I can't deal with these kind of expectations ;_; 

It's actually really interesting how my brain is undecided between commenting in full nerd mode or in coach mode. I'll go with coach mode, because too much info is not always good for you. 

 

1. Change shoes. Yours are unstable and might be the reason for your knees hurting. You'll want something with a harder sole like converse chucks or tennis shoes. Nothing that would be advertised as a regular running shoe. 

2. I'll echo @raptron, definitely let go of the idea that knees shouldn't come over toes. 

3. And thinking butt out first is not a great cue for you. Your squat is already too much "butt back", your hips don't open much and range of motion is probably limited by that only. 

 

Do this instead; 

Stand as you like, unlock your knees, then think about dropping your hips in-between your knees. 

 

I've made a video to show you the difference; 

First I tried to copy your squat and HONESTLY fought for depth. Then I dropped my hips between my knees. 

As you can see I've slightly elevated my heels here because I was wearing my most minimalist shoe. It did not work for you with the shoes you're currently wearing.. and you might not need it when you open up the hips. You don't need to squat as low as I did there anyway, and as you can see in the bottom my back rounds a little bit. But I wanted to show you the difference. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't watched your video yet because I can't get to google anything that's not the search engine from work, but after watching KB Girl's video, I have a cue that might help you!  I use it when teaching people how to get into derby stance, which is basically holding a squat on roller skates. :)  Imagine you are wearing high-top shoes (no imagination needed if that's what you're actually wearing!), and then try to push your shins into the tongue of the shoes while you're squatting.  It's pretty impossible to get past parallel without falling over if your shins are staying vertical, and you can't really even get there without sticking your butt way out behind you and dropping your chest down in front. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So much helpful information, a sincere thanks to all of you. Pretty much all of my workout stuff has been through independent research rather than having a trainer/ someone with me in person (with the exception of deadlifts, when I just straight asked some dudes at the gym so I didn't ruin myself), so I get some odd gaps/ misinformation that I'm not even aware of, often.

 

On 7/11/2019 at 10:48 AM, raptron said:

Does your back hurt when you are doing these or only after? If you do them just like this, does it bother you or is it if you go too deep and notice that back rounding feeling? 

When I'm doing them, I can feel extra tension in my lower back, but I'm pretty decent at differentiating between "push through it" pain and "stop right tf now" pain. It's always been what I associate with "feel the burn" pain until it slingshotted over to "stop moving, idiot" two weeks ago after the workout. Going further down than what was in the video felt like what videos of butt wink were describing; no pain, but definitely falling over. 

 

On 7/11/2019 at 10:48 AM, raptron said:

Definitely don't worry about keeping "in line with your toes" -- you've got pretty long femurs and there's actually no real science about not going over your toes. It's totally fine to do. I don't really like these as much as the first set. I don't think those were helpful cues for you.

 

On 7/11/2019 at 1:55 PM, KB Girl said:

2. I'll echo @raptron, definitely let go of the idea that knees shouldn't come over toes. 

3. And thinking butt out first is not a great cue for you. Your squat is already too much "butt back", your hips don't open much and range of motion is probably limited by that only. 

 

On 7/11/2019 at 8:33 PM, Elennare said:

Imagine you are wearing high-top shoes (no imagination needed if that's what you're actually wearing!), and then try to push your shins into the tongue of the shoes while you're squatting.  It's pretty impossible to get past parallel without falling over if your shins are staying vertical,

I feel like these were key points that I was missing. Did some research on long femurs and it was like they were talking straight to me, this post in particular. Don't know how I got it, but I had it in my head that feet/knees should be shoulder width apart, knees/toes forward, butt out, knees behind toes, and weight back on the heels. Figured I just had a weak lower back and that's why I wasn't progressing much. 

 

On 7/11/2019 at 10:48 AM, raptron said:

Your front rack position isn't quite there yet. You'd want your upper arms parallel with the ground rather than dipping towards it. If where the weight is resting hurts, that's actually normal, but if your wrists/elbows/etc. hurt, your mobility might just not be ready for it yet.

 

On 7/11/2019 at 12:14 PM, Hazard said:

Rack on your shoulders, not your hands. 

I've made a quick demo vid for you.

It's definitely that it hurts where it rests on the arms, not mobility. And by hurt, I mean two days later, where it rested still felt bruised; to be fair, I think I had it too far forward, not on the meat of the muscle. Big thank you to @Hazard, I haven't tried it yet, but that video makes what I need to do much clearer. 

 

On 7/11/2019 at 1:55 PM, KB Girl said:

1. Change shoes. Yours are unstable and might be the reason for your knees hurting. You'll want something with a harder sole like converse chucks or tennis shoes. Nothing that would be advertised as a regular running shoe. 

:blink: I hadn't even considered that was a problem until I watched again, looking at that. Thank you.

 

On 7/11/2019 at 10:48 AM, raptron said:

Yeah, I'd say most of these squats were a little high. I'd be curious to see a video where you try to go to depth, just to see where the form breaking point is actually coming from. If you lose balance backward when going low, it IS probably your ankles. BUT, that rep where you lost your balance in the 2nd video, your heels weren't coming off of the ground at all, so it looked more like a cueing hips issue to me than a mobility issue.

 

You can work on paused squats (bodyweight) to try to get the order of operations going a bit better (aka pushing back through with your hips at the same time you start to stand up with your chest). I also always recommend hanging out in the deep squat (bodyweight) position for longer periods of time. If you can't get very low without feeling like you are going to fall over (or actually falling over), you can hold on to a pole, door frame, or other type of support to help you get nice and in the hole! 

 

On 7/11/2019 at 1:55 PM, KB Girl said:

Stand as you like, unlock your knees, then think about dropping your hips in-between your knees. 

 

I tried again today, first doing hip stretches, then trying with new cues, then trying without the bar and minding the new cues. I'm obviously not there yet, because I'm still feeling off balance and stopping (I think closer to) parallel, but it feels more natural in a way. In a totally different way, it used significantly different muscles than what I'd done before (outside of thigh instead of top of thigh, and ... glute... max instead of med or min? I think?), so there was probably more thinking and reacting going on than focusing on cues. 

 

Same link, 4 new videos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/t3KpCLSw7TJ4pQ4ZA. Did three weighted sets and a last set of bodyweight/ trying to find a balance point all the way down. I feel like I'm still trying to lean forward to maintain balance, and squeezing my knees in which pronates my feet a bit, but it's definitely better than I've ever done with a narrow stance and butt out. The knee pop started per usual on the second set but then either went away or I didn't notice it for the 3rd and 4th. I also switched to some Vans shoes I use for gardening - the toe box is a bit narrower than I'd like, but they're the flattest shoes I have. Funny thing (sarcasm) - my lunges improved significantly, too...

 

If that looks better, I will work on keeping the wider stance and improving hip/ ankle mobility... and trying to remember all the new cues. :)

Seriously can't thank you guys enough. :love_heart: Deeply appreciate the help. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weekly check-in:

  • Languages - I slacked a bit on Friday; lunch got cut short due to a doctor's appt, but otherwise ok. 
  • Exercise - Definitely the focus of the week, back is better and aiming to keep it that way. 
  • Crafting - Started on the first pair of work pants. 
  • Learning - Close: one essay and one lesson left. Hoping to finish this week.

Otherwise, I once again feel the need to re-evaluate my time commitments. I'm not at the overwhelmed and overbooked level yet, but I think I'm headed there and want to stop before I arrive. This coming weekend will be a bit of a bust: Saturday is a 2-hour drive to a restaurant for mom's birthday (not relaxing, being around her), and we're hoping to get the drywall in the gentleman's house done on Sunday, so no real downtime. It'll be nice to cross the house off the to-do list, but still. I enjoy quiet days, and neither of those will be.

 

The gentleman's been talking for years about cosplaying, but since he has to wear corrective sunglasses at all times, that limits things a bit. I finally convinced him that it's still doable, so we spent the past weekend going over what he wants to do and what pieces are needed. He's doing a tactical take on Wildstorm's Backlash (I couldn't convince him to do a spandex onesie, alas), so we popped down to the military surplus store and got blue BDUs and a top. He ordered blue boots and a balaclava online, and I'll have to figure out how to add the white bits to all that once it arrives. Thankfully, he's aiming to wear it to a con in April of next year, so there's no time crunch, yet, but there are a lot of pieces to it, and some that he can't do but I (probably) can. He said he doesn't care if we do a couples costume (Taboo is the female in question), so I'm not pressured about making one, but it's in the back of my mind, taking up space.

 

So, to clear up some of that space, here are my goals for this week:

  • Russian tutoring on Thursday, already finished the homework so just show up.
  • Try to finish Russian governance class - maybe 6-8 hours' work total.
  • Pick up finished necklace after Wednesday.
  • Don't worry about: freelance writing, sewing, the gentleman's cosplay, upcoming training/ test at work, or all the things scheduled for fall. They're either not urgent or I've already got them and don't need to fret. 

Now I just need to stick to that. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2019 at 9:56 PM, Manarelle said:

Same link, 4 new videos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/t3KpCLSw7TJ4pQ4ZA. Did three weighted sets and a last set of bodyweight/ trying to find a balance point all the way down. I feel like I'm still trying to lean forward to maintain balance, and squeezing my knees in which pronates my feet a bit, but it's definitely better than I've ever done with a narrow stance and butt out. The knee pop started per usual on the second set but then either went away or I didn't notice it for the 3rd and 4th. I also switched to some Vans shoes I use for gardening - the toe box is a bit narrower than I'd like, but they're the flattest shoes I have. Funny thing (sarcasm) - my lunges improved significantly, too...

Yeah, I don't love my converse's width, but they're flat and stable and make do for now. I like the stance of these squats much better and your feet look way more stable. It's going to be a process to get used to the new feelings/cues. I feel like you are still a bit on top of your thighs rather than between, but definitely improvement. 

 

On 7/12/2019 at 9:56 PM, Manarelle said:

If that looks better, I will work on keeping the wider stance and improving hip/ ankle mobility... and trying to remember all the new cues. :)

Seriously can't thank you guys enough. :love_heart: Deeply appreciate the help. 

:D <3

 

40 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

So, to clear up some of that space, here are my goals for this week:

  • Russian tutoring on Thursday, already finished the homework so just show up.
  • Try to finish Russian governance class - maybe 6-8 hours' work total.
  • Pick up finished necklace after Wednesday.
  • Don't worry about: freelance writing, sewing, the gentleman's cosplay, upcoming training/ test at work, or all the things scheduled for fall. They're either not urgent or I've already got them and don't need to fret. 

Now I just need to stick to that. 

GOOD plan. I believe in your ability to do less, even though it's way harder than doing more. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, raptron said:

I feel like you are still a bit on top of your thighs rather than between, but definitely improvement. 

 

Agreed... that will be a focus for a while, I'm thinking.

 

18 minutes ago, raptron said:

GOOD plan. I believe in your ability to do less, even though it's way harder than doing more. 

 

You know, as I was typing that up, I remembered that this challenge was supposed to be downtime... Once again, I'm not doing so well at that. :P You guys called it, early on. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Manarelle said:

The gentleman's been talking for years about cosplaying, but since he has to wear corrective sunglasses at all times, that limits things a bit. I finally convinced him that it's still doable, so we spent the past weekend going over what he wants to do and what pieces are needed. He's doing a tactical take on Wildstorm's Backlash (I couldn't convince him to do a spandex onesie, alas), so we popped down to the military surplus store and got blue BDUs and a top. He ordered blue boots and a balaclava online, and I'll have to figure out how to add the white bits to all that once it arrives. Thankfully, he's aiming to wear it to a con in April of next year, so there's no time crunch, yet, but there are a lot of pieces to it, and some that he can't do but I (probably) can. He said he doesn't care if we do a couples costume (Taboo is the female in question), so I'm not pressured about making one, but it's in the back of my mind, taking up space.

Yay more cosplayers!  Don't worry too much about the glasses; anyone who has a problem with it isn't worth your time.  And spandex is always a hard sell for the first cosplay, but by the 5th or 6th, it can start to look tempting. :P

 

Group/couples cosplays are great IF everyone likes their character and enjoys it.  If someone gets shoehorned into a character they don't care for just to fill out the group, it tends to throw everyone off their game.  So while you should totally do a couples cosplay at some point, wait until you find characters you're both excited to do.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm learning so much from your challenge!!  I'm going to steal all the advice and see what it does for my squats.

 

I like that you also make a list in order to clear some of the clutter from your mind.  It took me such a long time to realize that once I put my thoughts down I could let them go.  At least for a little while.

 

Taboo looks like a real badass and a lot of work. :indecisiveness:

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2019 at 2:18 PM, Anim07734 said:

Group/couples cosplays are great IF everyone likes their character and enjoys it.  If someone gets shoehorned into a character they don't care for just to fill out the group, it tends to throw everyone off their game.  So while you should totally do a couples cosplay at some point, wait until you find characters you're both excited to do.

 

18 minutes ago, Lightning said:

Taboo looks like a real badass and a lot of work. :indecisiveness:

 

I definitely don't mind the character - I read all the comics with the two characters on our last vacation, and I have no problems repping her... also, there are zero cosplays when you search her on google, so... first. The hesitation is on how I would make it so a) I'm not wearing spandex, and b) I could complete by next April. I could do "spy chic" to counter the gentleman's tactical interpretations (a la Black Widow, movie style), but the tail presents a challenge I'm not sure how to address. I remember reading about @Anim07734's Nightcrawler tail escapades, and Taboo has more detail on the tail than Nightcrawler. If the almighty cosplayer extraordinaire had issues, I'm in trouble for sure. :) (sorry not sorry, I enjoy flattering people)

 

43 minutes ago, Lightning said:

I'm learning so much from your challenge!!  I'm going to steal all the advice and see what it does for my squats.

 

Hey, glad someone else can use the info, and hopefully not suffer through the same mistakes I had. I've been practicing squat form with my hourly stretches at work, and was finally able to NOT fall over at the gym last night - I did 2 set of 8 with no weight, and 2 sets of goblet squats with 15# and suddenly understood what "activating your glutes" means. Wildly different muscles, but it was a good sore, not a "your back is not happy" sore. Progress for sure.

Goals for this and next week have shifted a bit. A very important presentation for people who significantly outrank me was dropped in my lap, so I'm trading the Russian governance goal for "prep for the meeting and sort out the apprehension at rank disparity." I was raised military so I'm pretty conscious of rank, even in civilian situations. I've hit several self-confidence milestones at this job, but I think they've mostly been subconscious - it's time to sit down, make those a part of my conscious brain, and ditch the apprehension. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your bodyweight squat video at the end actually made me a little jelly! Not a butt wink in sight, very lovely :) And not falling over doing them is a BIG win! 

Even looking at those backsquat videos, the last one looks better than the first- which is a very good sign. Glad to see all the tips helped <3 and seriously cool to see you put it to such good use, that's more rare than you'd think. I love that you're practicing form so often and that you switched the shoes. 

 

Downtime is difficult, especially when plans change. Hope you get some mental space after this presentation is done. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're both determined to avoid spandex, just do both as modern tactical re-imaginings.  Both should be relatively easy as fitted combat suits with armor on top.  Keep the colors and basic layout similar and you should still be recognizable by fans of the series.

 

A basic tail is actually pretty easy.  My first one was just some 4in elastic made into a harness with a heavy-gauge wire to support the stuffed tail.  I keep having problems with my tails because I always want to do more than that with them. :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2019 at 3:17 PM, KB Girl said:

Your bodyweight squat video at the end actually made me a little jelly! Not a butt wink in sight, very lovely :) And not falling over doing them is a BIG win! 

Even looking at those backsquat videos, the last one looks better than the first- which is a very good sign. Glad to see all the tips helped <3 and seriously cool to see you put it to such good use, that's more rare than you'd think. I love that you're practicing form so often and that you switched the shoes. 

 

Downtime is difficult, especially when plans change. Hope you get some mental space after this presentation is done. 

 

I think I was looking at the shape of the butt when researching butt wink, not the shape of the spine. Hey, if I'm going to get advice from people who clearly know what they're doing, you bet I'm going to take it - especially when what I was doing was equally clearly very wrong. Only way to get better is to try new things and practice... a lot. :) 

 

Surprisingly, once I realized the fallacies in my apprehension, they've been fairly easy to overcome. I wrote out a list of what my issues were and then recent examples of why they're... I won't say unfounded, because they stemmed from some legitimate situations in the past, but definitely no longer applicable. A close friend came at me with the below quote and it really hit home.

54447351_347412232784971_8787788861266803932_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-vie1-1.cdninstagram.com&se=8&ig_cache_key=MjAxNDU4NDY3NjkyNDM3MTc2MA==.2

 

I still have prep work to do for the presentation, but it's no longer a big mental burden. I've worked hard at work to get where I am, I've got this.

 

On 7/18/2019 at 6:01 PM, Anim07734 said:

A basic tail is actually pretty easy.  My first one was just some 4in elastic made into a harness with a heavy-gauge wire to support the stuffed tail.  I keep having problems with my tails because I always want to do more than that with them. :P

 

Lol, fair, I can see that. I did find this site, which shows how it gets the tail to move. I'm sure I can replicate that without the motors, and just manually control it as needed. Also found this as inspiration for a base look, and the gentleman is enthusiastically on board with me joining him for the cosplay. 

 

Week 3:

  • Languages - Yup.
  • Exercise - Marked improvement, yay. 
  • Crafting - Nope, but that was planned.  
  • Learning - Presentation preparation.

Saturday was a complete bust; had to drive 2.5 hours to a nowhere town to have a family birthday lunch, in 101° weather, at an excessively pretentious, overpriced restaurant. The food was ok, but not worth what we paid. Today promises to be another complete bust; hopefully we can finish the drywall at the gentleman's house and get that off his plate, but it's supposed to be 98° today, and the house in question doesn't have a/c. SO yeah, not the greatest of weekends, but unfortunately obligatory. 

 

The week was ok, if a bit up and down. Got languages and workouts done, the weekly revised to do list is done, and prep for the presentation is underway. This coming week will focus on continuing that prep, finishing at least the essay for the governance class (and maybe starting the final lesson), and if there's any remaining time, continuing on work pants. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Lol, fair, I can see that. I did find this site, which shows how it gets the tail to move. I'm sure I can replicate that without the motors, and just manually control it as needed. Also found this as inspiration for a base look, and the gentleman is enthusiastically on board with me joining him for the cosplay. 

That looks like a solid tail design.  And I'd bet the vertebra are just 3D printed, which makes things a lot easier if you have access to one.  My first attempt at a moving tail used bicycle brake cable (probably the same thing they used), but I ran into issues with weight making it 3ft long.

 

Black Widow and Hawkeye (comics vs MCU) are good starting points for how to convert a costume from spandex to tactical gear, as are the costumes in the First Class series of X-men.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2019 at 2:47 PM, Manarelle said:

Surprisingly, once I realized the fallacies in my apprehension, they've been fairly easy to overcome.

That's great :) pleasant surprise! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2019 at 8:47 AM, Manarelle said:

54447351_347412232784971_8787788861266803932_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-vie1-1.cdninstagram.com&se=8&ig_cache_key=MjAxNDU4NDY3NjkyNDM3MTc2MA==.2

 

I still have prep work to do for the presentation, but it's no longer a big mental burden. I've worked hard at work to get where I am, I've got this.

YES. Perfect.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2019 at 2:30 PM, Anim07734 said:

That looks like a solid tail design.  And I'd bet the vertebra are just 3D printed, which makes things a lot easier if you have access to one.  My first attempt at a moving tail used bicycle brake cable (probably the same thing they used), but I ran into issues with weight making it 3ft long.

 

Alas, I do not yet have that tech, but it is on my "someday" list. I'm sure I can figure something out with the sections, but that's a ways down the road. Good to know on the bike brake cable, thank you. 

 

Little early for a complete wrap-up, but I'm almost there so:

  • Languages - Missed one day to wok prep business, but otherwise, yes. 
  • Exercise - Chugging along. 
  • Crafting - Lots of research for Backlash and Taboo.
  • Learning - Presentation prepped and almost done with Russian course.

I have two more 15-minute videos to take notes on for the Russian course, a weekly quiz, and a final test, and that will be done. Feeling good about the presentation, and considering taking a drawing for beginners class in August - lots of scholastic stuff lately, would be nice to try something new. Languages are doing well, squats have improved enormously,  and I'll be trying a hex bar and sumo grip for deadlift next week just for shiggles. As expected, sewing work pants has stalled because they're not fun- they'll be the focus on the next challenge, however, so I know they're done before we really get into the next cosplay. 

 

August will be a three paycheck month, and I've been told I"m getting a bonus for a recent project's completion, so I spent way more money than normal on a small list of wanted-but-not-critical items I've been compiling for a bit. Exciting things like all-weather mats and new hubcaps for the car, backups of work shirts and sports clothes for when they wear out, and a robe to replace my ratty, 10-year-old, has-holes-but-is-still-warm monstrosity. Nice to have peace of mind that it's done and doesn't have to come out of the regular budget. Mind you, I did splurge a bit and get leather to make belt bags for the Thor and jedi outfits (both have very wide belts), but it was definitely not the expensive part of the shopping. 

 

Overall, I'm calling this a successful challenge. To no one's surprise, "downtime" was relative, but having it planned let me roll with some unexpected punches and focus to finish off the Russian class. I also successfully mitigated the usual post-completion depression and have set realistic goals for a new project. Here's to making that a habit. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very successful challenge :) 

 

A drawing class sounds very nice and a triple pay check even nicer! 

 

The only Russian I know is; Spasiba. And I'm probably misspelling that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2019 at 3:36 PM, Manarelle said:

Overall, I'm calling this a successful challenge. To no one's surprise, "downtime" was relative, but having it planned let me roll with some unexpected punches and focus to finish off the Russian class. I also successfully mitigated the usual post-completion depression and have set realistic goals for a new project. Here's to making that a habit. 

Booyah.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, KB Girl said:

The only Russian I know is; Spasiba. And I'm probably misspelling that. 

 

Nope, that's a pretty spot on english rendering. "Proper" spelling requires the cyrillic alphabet, so no worries. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.