• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

aramis

The next step

Oh yes, lots of fun :)

12 hours ago, Hansjay said:

getting your iron and thyroid levels checked

Gonna speak about it with my doc. Thanks for the tip :) 

W3 D1

- Keep the engine running

No workout - rest day. 

- We're losing pressure

2017 kcal, 125 g protein.

Average weight: ???

Monday weight - 75.2kg

I don't see any progress in gaining weight, Libra app also shows declining trend. I suppose I'll keep 2k kcal for this week to be sure, but additional caloric increase will be needed.  

- Beware the material fatigue

No screen after 9pm, went to bed at 10, fell asleep ~10:30.

- This thing needs to move 

Yesterday was more of a lazy day. My mother in law took my hellspawns for a week to her, so it's suddenly very quiet and calm at home - only cats scream at me wanting to play. 

No pressure on anything, did some chores but nothing big, did my workout but without time pressure from kids demanding TV time or supper. I think it will look like this for couple days, as today after work I go for my MRI and I'll be back home not earlier than 8pm. 

• Like 2

W3 D2

Yesterday was dominated by my appointed MRI scan in the afternoon. 

On the plus side, I did another creatinine level test on Monday and the numbers were way better than earlier - almost within the norm.

No workout because lack of time (I was back home ~9pm) and MRI tech advice. 

- We're losing pressure

2062 kcal, 112 g protein.

Average weight: ???

Tuesday weight - 74.7kg - lower and lower... I don't like it.

No problem waking up at alarm.

Went to bed at 10:30, fell asleep soon after.

After work there was race with time to get on my appointed scan. I was on time, but it turned out there was a delay due to doctor overseeing administering contrast agent was needed on two spots at one time, so I waited additional hour before scan. This only fueled my "afternoon crash" to the extent I almost fell asleep in MRI machine (regardless of the noise) and couldn't really shake it off again after the scan. Drove home, ate supper and went to bed.

• Like 2

W3 D3

Workout (strength)   ✔

- We're losing pressure

2033 kcal, 125 g protein.

4 day average weight: 74.8kg

Wednesday weight - 74.1kg - lower again... 

Went to bed around midnight, because I decided to write down my supper ideas and took me bit longer to fine-tune calories and proteins to my liking. All this is because I lose lots of time deciding what to eat, tuning amounts etc. Now I have six different "menus" in 600-620kcal range and around 30g protein each si O just pick one and go with it. I hope it will be time-saver in the evening. And any nutrition fluctuations from random dinners my dad cooks I can work with at dinner time. 

After work went shopping, then ate dinner and did some minor chores at home. Enjoyed my workout and listened to lots of viking/pagan music (Skald, Wardruna etc.). No "afternoon crash" :) 

• Like 2

W3 D4

Workout (running)   ✔

- We're losing pressure

2549 kcal, 129 g protein.

5 day average weight: 74.56kg

Thursday weight - 73.6kg - sound the alarm! 

I don't know what is happening, but I don't like it. The worst part is I feel like I'm getting weaker. This may be only in my head (some sort of autosuggestion) but I find exercising more tiring than before. I have a hard time to squeeze 16 pushups when two weeks ago I did my PR of 21.  

Also - I dig through this and this article. I need to stop being afraid of calories. If I gain some body fat in the process, fine. I'll shed it later. But firstly, I need to stop thinning. 

New caloric target - 2500kcal. Proteins will stay on 110-130g daily level for now. I might raise it if my kidney tests go green. 

No problem waking up at alarm, despite shorter sleep. 

Computer was turned off at 10pm, then I did some minor chores/organizing stuff for today. Went to bed ~10:45, fell asleep with no problems.

Relaxing exercise form Art of Manliness article works for me quite well, and for now I call it enough. Didn't have opportunity to try mental part, but even physical part helps me when I have problems falling asleep.

After three weeks of research, I came to shockingly accurate conclusions:

Spoiler

If I keep myself busy in the afternoon, I can avoid "afternoon crash" entirely. If I let myself some lazy time, I will be miserable the rest of the day.

Looks like the only solution is to be like Dory

giphy.gif

btw, I repaired my dad's angle grinder he killed while cutting paving slabs. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, aramis said:

5 day average weight: 74.56kg

Thursday weight - 73.6kg - sound the alarm! 

I don't know what is happening, but I don't like it. The worst part is I feel like I'm getting weaker. This may be only in my head (some sort of autosuggestion) but I find exercising more tiring than before. I have a hard time to squeeze 16 pushups when two weeks ago I did my PR of 21.  

Also - I dig through this and this article. I need to stop being afraid of calories. If I gain some body fat in the process, fine. I'll shed it later. But firstly, I need to stop thinning. 

New caloric target - 2500kcal. Proteins will stay on 110-130g daily level for now. I might raise it if my kidney tests go green. 

I'm glad you are being so open to adjusting. You seem to have a pretty active lifestyle, so I'm not surprised that you need to up calories even higher than you initially thought. 

• Like 2

Good for you for listening to your body and giving it the fuel it needs!  It  will pay off in your workouts and your body comp.

• Like 1

W3 D5 (July 19th)

Workout (strength)   ✔

- We're losing pressure

2509 kcal, 132 g protein.

6 day average weight: 74.45kg

Friday weight - 73.9kg

I stayed up and at computer too late. Binge watching of youtube videos was my sin. But those were nice videos - about hammocks, tarps and overall camping gear and techniques. I like those. 

Nothing to write here - just made myself busy with small things. It did the job. 

• Like 2

W3 D6 (July 20th)

Workout (running)   ✔

Im getting back on my normal training schedule. More tan happy :D 

- We're losing pressure

2542 kcal, 117 g protein.

7 day average weight: 74.43kg

Daily weight - 74.3kg

No screen in the afternoon at all, went to bed before 10pm. Fell asleep with no problems. 

My garage is pre-war barn - walls made of local sandstone and slate, with weak lime mortar. Years of wind and rain eroded the walls pretty badly (some stones started to fall off), so we needed to plaster it to prevent further damage. 

My dad asked his friend to come and help us with it, as any of us isn't good at masonry. We plastered one wall - 45 square meters in 8 hours. It would be twice as fast if it would be brick wall, but erosion took big chunks of old mortar from between the rocks and all these gaps needed filling. We ended putting (all by hand) about one ton of mortar on this wall - and this is only first filler layer. Next Saturday will be second, thinner layer to even the surface. And two more walls (luckily, the smaller ones). 

And as a cherry on top, afternoon running :) 

• Like 6

W3 D7 (July 21st)

Workout - none (rest day)

- We're losing pressure

2553 kcal, 133 g protein.

7 day average weight: 74.26kg

Daily weight - 74.0kg

This doesn't look good, but I think I managed to stop the decrease. It's only three days with upped calories, but weight isn't dropping so badly. Numbers start to even out hovering around 74kg mark, and if I can hold this weight for a bit, I'll start working on gains. 

But for now I need to stabilize it, because in a week I head to seaside for two week vacation with wife and kids. I'm a bit afraid of my routines and nutrition. My goal is to keep my weight and at least try to continue my workout routines. 

Bit too long in front of computer, went to bed around 10:30pm. Took me somewhere between 30min - 1h to fall asleep. It was most probably because I was ogling at the screen all evening. 

Even as the day was "rest day" I kept myself active with house chores, fixing stuff and cooking. 

Kids are back home and suddenly there is so much noise and turmoil. But it's good. Without it, home seemed strangely quiet and empty. 

In the afternoon me and boys watched Mulan together. My 5yo spawn almost burst in tears two or three times, but I did manage to calm him. It's a pain to watch even Disney movies with him, because he is very susceptible for emotional message form movie - all he needs is a bit of sad music or scene of someone being sad and he instantly starts to cry. But we watched the movie together, we had fun and it was awesome.  

• Like 4

Very impressive that you are able to fix the masonry yourself on the garage wall. And after doing that you went running-woot!

• Like 1

I was only a helper, my job was to transport mixed mortar from the mixer to the man on the scaffolding. Not very responsible job, but in terms of movement - I'd say lots of farmer walks (barrow driving) and kettlebell overhead press-ish (rising buckets of mortar on the scaffolding). Fun activity after all :) 

W4 D1

Workout (strength)   ✔

- We're losing pressure

2536 kcal, 133.5 g protein

7 day average weight: 74.13kg

Daily weight - 74.3kg

Average weight is still declining, but it will settle as my daily weights are more even, nad the lowest (73,9kg and 73,6kg) were 5 days ago. 

No screen in the evening, went to bed before 10pm. I had some problems falling asleep (cat annoyed me, bladder annoyed me, sultry air annoyed me...), but finally did around 11pm. 

Another active day - shopping after work (I found well supplied spice stand in nearby mall), dinner at home and shoveling away some soil (I'd say something about 2 cubic meters) to make place for setting the scaffolding against another wall of my garage/barn. While kids watched TV and ate their supper I did my workout, and then put them to sleep. Supper and shower in the evening, some planning for next couple days and off to bed. 

• Like 4

I'll just pretend this didn't happen... 

Bottling up emotions isn't maybe the healthiest thing to do, but I'm good at it so that's what I'm gonna do now. Just push this crap aside and deal with it later. 

For now, I have plans ahead - today me and wife go to Rammstein concert, and at weekend we take kids and head off to vacations at the seaside. It's no place for dark thoughts and worries. 

Anyways, report on yesterday:

W4 D2

Workout (running)   ✔

- We're losing pressure

2506 kcal, 127.5 g protein

7 day average weight: 74.07kg

Daily weight - 74.3kg

No screen in the evening, went to bed before just after 9:30pm. I was mentally too tired to do anything. Just went to sleep.

Kept myself busy till supper, after that crashed on the couch for an hour (overthinking and agonizing over this crap in my head) and went to bed. Not the nicest evening ever. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Damn, that's some heavy news to take in... Hope you have fun at the Rammstein concert at least, sounds like some joyful distraction is much needed.

• Like 1

Oh wow...I have no words

Enjoy the concert and vacation, deal with the rest when you have more information....

• Like 1

I'm so sorry, Aramis, that really does suck and there's not really anything positive to say. Spending time doing fun and relaxing things with your family is a great idea. Hoping and praying for helpful, positive results in further tests. 

• Like 1

Thank you everybody for your kind words. 

Distracting myself with the concert was absolute bullseye. 

Rammstein was everything Rammstein is - lights, flames and smoke. And absolute mayhem of energy!

Spoiler

The stage was MASSIVE

stage.thumb.JPG.9cf9d71c2c7232e2f1ce88d0229ef5b9.JPG

There was also four pillars in the GA area with all the pyrotechnics they could put there. 

As this was on open stadium, they could add some fun stuff unavailable in closed arenas - for example - smoke. LOTS OF SMOKE

smoke.thumb.JPG.796532909b3eb9a274e14e3ac105ffe1.JPG

Concert started at 9pm, so the lights were on point  

lights1.thumb.JPG.19b9f0df2ca1d625cfe5e2c508c75a18.JPG

lights2.thumb.JPG.8d1b15d7887f322b48f5e704b30493a4.JPG

Flames on the stage

1303314257_firebackpack.thumb.JPG.e6c9b366fb17558f1efea9656d5c0738.JPG

Flames covering stage!

fire.thumb.JPG.5344a5a4aa10b02249167103867c9cc4.JPG

And flames above audience

143502191_fireabove.thumb.JPG.34421db8c8a01441625445b9f79a4afc.JPG

Phew, that was intense... And off to Metallica next month :D

And report:

W4 D3

Workout (strength)   ✔

Crammed my workout before dinner, just as I came bach home from work, so we could leave for the gig right after. Also, I added some exercises/difficulty to my current routine - more here

- We're losing pressure

2563 kcal, 115.5 g protein

7 day average weight: 74.07kg

Daily weight - 74.1kg

We got home after concert about 1am, quick shower and off to bed. Instantly asleep.

Four words: 

General Admission MOSH PIT!!!

• Like 3

Rammstein always put on a spectacular stage show, now with a hot new album out and a return to form, they are a must see! Mildly jealous of you, plus mosh pit is the best from of exercise!

• Like 1

W4 D4

Workout (running)   ✔

Hard one - my legs were stiff and sore after concert and good mornings.  But I did it. 

- We're losing pressure

2815 kcal, 141.5 g protein

7 day average weight: 74.29kg

Daily weight - 75.1kg

One - I messed my recipe and added too much halva to my supper smoothie. Hence so much caloreis. But I just balance this today. 

Two - sudden leap in weight. I wonder why? Water? Because I couldn't gain kilogram of fat overnight, right?

Some problems waking up at alarm, but didn't use snooze. Was a bit tired during day, but nothing terrible. 

In the evening almost no screen time - we are starting preparations for vacation leave. Off to bed at 10pm. 

This time not very active (physically) day. 

Came home from work, ate dinner, spent most time on thinking what we need on vacation. Then went running, ate supper and continued planning. 

• Like 2

W4 D5 (July 26th)

Workout (strength)   ✔

Modified exercises to harder versions (squats -> pistols, pushups -> plyometric) - I don't want to take any equipment (save exercise band for assisted pulls) on vacation, so it has to be bodyweight ONLY. 

- We're losing pressure

3016 kcal, 151.5 g protein

7 day average weight: 74.51kg

Daily weight - 75.5kg

Saturday morning - 75.9kg

Overate again. I planned to eat less, but friend came over for BBQ and even with skipping dinner I ate a ton... 

Two - weight rising fast. What the actual fuck? I didn't overate THAT MUCH. Half a kilo up three days in a row? 

Getting up on alarm - no problem.

In the evening no screen time - after BBQ quick workout, shower, some planning and off to bed at 10pm. 

Right after coming home from work I started readying BBQ, then was "socializing". Not much work, but lots of movement.

• Like 2

As tomorrow we leave for our vacation, I will end this challenge with today's report and summary. I'm not sure if I'll participate in next challenge from the start (not sure if I'll post anything in next two weeks), but after my leave I will be catching up for sure. 

W4 D6 (July 27th)

Workout (running)   ✔

- We're losing pressure

2026 kcal, 101.5g protein

Lower than target on calories, as I finally balanced a bit last two days where I overate. 

7 day average weight: 74.74kg

Daily weight - 75.9kg

Still not sure what to think about it.

Getting up on alarm - no problem.

Today I'll probably stay up longer, as I want to at least prepare what stuff to pack tomorrow. But I will go to sleep no later than midnight to get those 6h of sleep.

Getting home from work today was tricky - there was heavy rainfall, thunderstorms and all this stuff, so some roads were impassable. Today I learned my car can do as part-time motorboat :D 

After reaching home, I spent some time with my sis who visited us, and later we made dinner (leftover BBQ with salads). In the afternoon there was running workout and putting kids to sleep in the evening. And now, as I type this, there is a heap of clothes I need to sort which go back to the wardrobe and which go to the bags. 

SUMMARY AND AFTERTHOUGHT

This was quite easy goal to achieve, as I already am doing this. It was about keeping myself accountable. Daily reports here in challenges' thread and in my Battle Log help with this greatly. 

- We're losing pressure

It confuses me how my body gained those almost two kilograms over the last three days. Maybe it's water kept due to higher carb intake in last week. I don't really know. On the other hand - that was my goal - to stop thinning. I could call it a win, but I'm not sure the origin of this gain. I think I'd like better if the weight rose slower, giving good suspicion there is muscle growth. But with so sudden changes, I can't think of anything other than water.

This one went quite well too. I established a habit of waking up on the same time every day including weekends and going to bed on similar time. Limiting screen time before bed is also a good thing - helps with falling asleep. 

What I need to work on is relaxation techniques to help me if I have problems falling asleep. I found some, but didn't really used them when needed. 

And another successful goal - research on energy levels, observation of my body and mind behavior, creating proper mindset. Now I am sure - if I want to stay active in the afternoon, I need to keep myself busy. Otherwise "afternoon crash" will get me. Simple as that.

This challenge was successful in most fields. One not so clear part is my weight and it's random behavior - I will continue this goal next challenge, maybe with some additional research. As of the other goals, I'd call them completed. I proved myself I can be accountable with my workouts (I already track them in my Battle Log - no need to be redundant here), I took care of my sleeping habits and my problems with activity after work. Even distractions like music concert or couple day long event won't throw off the track my routine (be it sleep, workout or nutrition). It may temporarily change, but after distraction is over, I can work my way back on tracks with not much fuss. 

I think in next challenge I may focus on some life goals more (except of working on my weight of course), something less specific than number of reps or hours slept. I'm not entirely sure how should this look like, but I have two weeks of vacation to crystallize some ideas. Two things off top of my head that bug me are my relationship with kids and not doing enough at home. Maybe these will be part of my next challenge. Or not, I don't know yet. 

Anyway, thanks for company, and see you in next challenge!

• Like 2

Enjoy your vacation! see you next challenge...I have to say I'm really impressed with all you accomplished this round!