[NeverThatBored] After Enlightenment, The Laundry

On 7/15/2019 at 9:55 AM, NeverThatBored said:

I made a quesadilla filling as my tasty meal prep goal for the week. With the cheese it's not the healthiest meal ever, but if I have it with a side of veggies I think it's not so terrible. I've really been enjoying making recipes from the Budget Bytes blog lately. @fleaball - you might like this one! There's very little prep involved. 

bookmarked! Thank you!

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Week 3 Tuesday Update

Me: "Phew - my weight's back down after the recent spike!"

Also me: *bakes a cake*

The Crossfit workout was a 2k row for time! My last 2k row in September was 9:14 and I've gotten way better at rowing since then. For example, I did 9:16 in a recent workout when I was deliberately trying not to go too fast. So I was excited to try for a better time! I finished in 8:49.

TBH I'm not super motivated by the the whole "dig deep & push really hard" mentality that you probably need for this sort of workout, because that sucks and I don't wanna. So I was still working hard but maybe not REALLY as all out as you're supposed to. I'm motivated by strategy, so if you say "for every 500 meters, push really hard for the first 20 strokes then maintain a steady pace until the next 500" I will do exactly that every time but I won't push extra on top of that because it's not part of the strategy. Whenever we do AMRAP workouts I usually have a number in mind, and I'll go at whatever pace I need to hit that number instead of really pushing for as many reps/rounds as possible.

I didn't do pullup work because there were rope climbs scheduled for Wednesday, and also because with my arm the only pull stuff I can really do is ring rows.

I had Japanese class in the evening so I'm counting the walk to/from the metro and to/from class as my walk for the day. 

• Like 7

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 43

2020 challenges: 43 | 44 | 45 (current)

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Well what you are doing is working, so stick with that! I've never done CrossFit, but I  have a mentality similar to yours.  Even at really work hard workouts, I do more of a strategy to get there, rather than all out. To be honest, I hate the suck of going all out, and then feeling like I can't move for the next day or two.

• Like 2

Wisdom- 13 Dexterity- 10 Charisma- 11 Strength- 12 Constitution-10 

Elastigirl Just Living Life - January 3 to February 6 New Year Challenge! - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"The chief goal of living is not to merely stay alive" Mike Rowe

I have a similar mentality too.  I just don't like doing any exercise to complete failure, because it makes me feel terrible for hours.  Whatever I lose out from the workout, I more than make up for in ability to function afterwards

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24High School [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

9 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I have a similar mentality too.  I just don't like doing any exercise to complete failure, because it makes me feel terrible for hours.  Whatever I lose out from the workout, I more than make up for in ability to function afterwards

On 7/17/2019 at 12:23 PM, Elastigirl said:

Well what you are doing is working, so stick with that! I've never done CrossFit, but I  have a mentality similar to yours.  Even at really work hard workouts, I do more of a strategy to get there, rather than all out. To be honest, I hate the suck of going all out, and then feeling like I can't move for the next day or two.

Lol, glad we're all in the same boat! 

• Like 1

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

Week 3 Wednesday Update

I figured out some goals for next challenge...is it time yet???

As usual, I went to Crossfit in the AM. I guess that's just a thing I do now. We did rope climbs, and my arm was actually somehow ok for them?? The weirdest injury. I usually only go a little way up the rope because I don't trust my footing and there are no crash pads or anything, but for this workout I went up even less than usual because I don't trust my arm right now. The result was that I felt like I was cheating on the rope climb portion of the workout because I finished it faster, so I'll have to be more careful about that next time. 

I've pretty much decided not to do pullup stuff while my arm is healing....probably.

I was going to go on a walk after work but we had a power surge followed by a fast-moving thunderstorm so I didn't go out.

I ended up with a lot of free time and I had that same "video games vs. chores" debate again! This keeps coming up and it's pretty strange. I think it's because I WANT to play games in general but there are no games I'm particularly excited about playing right now, so I don't REALLY want to play games. When Fire Emblem comes out on the 26th, it will probably be all I want to do for a while. :P

I ended up calling my mom and doing some tidying and some cooking and some reading and some internetting, which was fine. The issue might just be that I feel aimless when I do a bunch of little things that come up vs. one focused thing I'm excited about. I want my arm to heal so I can go back to the ukulele. T___T

I finished off the last of the quesadilla filling for lunch, so I made some chicken in the evening. I couldn't decide what to make so I went with the usual "why not both?" method and made two different kinds of chicken - a sesame chicken recipe that I don't really love and some vaguely chili lime chicken that I liked better. This was a much better "second meal prep day" than last week! 

I did some stretching and foam rolling before bed. I'm not doing anything formal, but I'm starting to do little mobility stuff throughout the day again, which is great! I used to have a decent mobility practice, but that's the one thing that's completely dropped off, and I definitely feel stiff a lot because of it. I'm having trouble deciding what approach to take to get back into mobility - yoga? That weekly gymnastics stretching video I used to do? MobilityWOD or other soft tissue stuff? I'm not sure. 

• Like 5

Week 3 Thursday Update

18 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

I've pretty much decided not to do pullup stuff while my arm is healing....probably.

I lied. I did some ring rows after the workout, but I stopped at 3 sets because my arm did start to fire up a little bit. So NOW I've decided not to do pullup stuff. :P 

My arm does feel notably better, although the lump is still there. I can pick up my water bottle with my right hand again!

I had a morning meeting, so I went to Crossfit after work. I ended up hanging out for like 3 hours chatting with people?? First I was just wiped from the workout, so I was sitting for a while and chatting with a guy who hadn't been in in a while. Then it was free trial day and someone showed up for the 6:30 class that almost nobody ever goes to, so I kind of wanted to stick around and be supportive so she didn't just run the other way - and before I knew it 3 hours had passed?? 

I had chicken in the fridge I was planning to eat, but I ended up ordering food from a place nearby and walking to pick it up, so I got my walking in for the day. :P 

• Like 6

Week 3 Friday Update

Cfit in the morning. Since I've been going more I keep running out of clean athletic clothes too fast. We've all been discussing the best brands for workout shorts so I'll probably get a few pairs to get my laundry schedule back to normal.

I went to do some Japanese homework at Starbucks after work, so I didn't end up getting out on a walk. Our class is on Tuesday, but she never sends us the list of homework until Friday. This really annoys be because it's hours of work and I'd much rather start it on Wednesday!

I wanted to have cake for dinner, but I'm forcing myself to eat real food like an adult first.

My friend's husband is having a birthday gathering at Hershey Park in PA tomorrow, so I'm driving out there. I'm nervous because it's an unfamiliar drive and I'm a nervous driver in general, and also I'm not enthusiastic about the idea of driving there and back in the same day. It's like 2.5 hours each way. But, it will be good to see friends. Several people have told me that I should still have things to do even though I don't like rollercoasters, so we'll see! 

• Like 7

But being able to eat cake for dinner is one of the best parts of being an adult... 

• Like 2
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24High School [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

17 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

My friend's husband is having a birthday gathering at Hershey Park in PA tomorrow, so I'm driving out there. I'm nervous because it's an unfamiliar drive and I'm a nervous driver in general, and also I'm not enthusiastic about the idea of driving there and back in the same day. It's like 2.5 hours each way. But, it will be good to see friends. Several people have told me that I should still have things to do even though I don't like rollercoasters, so we'll see! 

You can stop and see me on the way home! :D 

12 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

But being able to eat cake for dinner is one of the best parts of being an adult... 

#whynotboth?

9 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

You can stop and see me on the way home! :D 

Maaaaan, I should have!!! 

• Like 1

Halp. The advertisers know I'm in the market for more workout shorts and the ads are EVERYWHERE and I want to buy all of them. 

Week 3 Saturday/Sunday Update

On Saturday I went to Hershey and had a good time with friends. :) It was my friend's husband's event, but the people who went mainly ended up being college friends (he didn't go to college with us) and two of his friends so it was super chill. There were 2 other rollercoaster haters so we went around and rode some "mild thrill" rides and those were PLENTY thrilling for me, thank you!

The drive was fine because I'm a grown-ass adult who is able to drive, but telling myself that didn't make me less stressed about it. I really wish that driving new places didn't always have to be such a big scary event for me, because if you took the fear element out it would be such a better experience.

On the drive BACK, though, the last hour was really intense. There was a big ass thundercloud in the distance and as I got closer to it it kept getting bigger and BIGGER and BIGGER. It was lighting up with lighting flashes approximately every 30 seconds or so and I had NO IDEA if I was driving into it or not. From a distance it wasn't obviously lighting, so at first I was wondering whether there was a fireworks show or DC was being invaded by a foreign government or something. I legit almost pulled over and got a hotel for the night because it was so intense. 

In the end I caught about 15 minutes of drizzle then cleared it, so I guess I lucked out there.

On Sunday I was DRAINED so I didn't do much. I went on a short walk to get some lunch in the afternoon and I did some meal prep. For my "something delicious" goal I made some meatloaf from the recipe that @WhiteGhost shared at one point and some roasted veggies. I also made some pork chops but they came out sort of dry so meh. I ALSO made some pseudo- Saag (Indian Creamed Spinach) but I didn't love how that turned out either. I still can't quite find the balance between over- and under-prepping food. :/ 

Week 3 Summary

• I walked 5/7 days and I have one excused miss from weather, bringing me to 6/7 for the week.
  • I did pullup work once, again.
  • I made tasty things.

• Like 7

Week 4 Monday/Tuesday Update

I went to Crossfit in the AM both days. I've gone 5+ days for the last 5 weeks now, going on 6, so that's a thing. :) 

On Monday I went on a mini-walk and caught some Pokemon to get my walking in. I also did some Japanese homework on the balcony, which counts for the same goal since it's outside.

On Tuesday I had Japanese class and hung out with some classmates at the bar next door and ended up just having some french fries there for dinner. The next morning my weight is down, so I think I'm onto something here??? :P I'm counting walking to/from the metro and class as walking on Tuesdays. 

• Like 7

Week 4 Wednesday/Thursday Update

Crossfit Crossfit Crossfit. I think I mainly like going for social reasons, but the improved fitness is a nice bonus. I did pullup work on Thursday after class and felt pretty good.  

My arm is 90% better. I've started cautiously playing the uke again, keeping an eye on my strumming arm. This week I also had double Japanese class to make up for a class we're not having in August. The extra class was on Thursday, so I didn't get much walking in, but I walked to the metro and to class so for now I'm still counting that sort of thing towards my goal on class days. 

I went to a yoga class on Wednesday night. It's a class I know I like called "slow stretchy delicious" and the instructor will literally climb on you to help you get deeper into a stretch. We got to use yoga wheels!! I've never used them before, so that was a fun new thing to try. I walked to/from the yoga class for my walking goal.

Since the end of the PN program I've been struggling with food - mainly having no self control around sugar. :/ I'm maintaining my weight, but it's a struggle and I'm annoyed about it. 

• Like 5

Ooooooooh - yoga wheels. Love me a good back stretch!

Also a good reminder to unearth mine from the back of the closet: a nice fish pose sounds like just the ticket to soothe my angry, angry side boob? Upper shoulder connector bits? Pec walls?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

Level 71 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

Week 4 Friday/Weekend Update

I went to Crossfit Friday morning. Friday was also Fire Emblem release day, so that's gonna be my main interest for a while! :P I went for a tiny half mile walk, but it counts. 

On Saturday my aikido buddy from NY was coming through the area on a road trip, so we got to catch up! It had been like 2 years since I saw her, so that was really nice! I got some walking in on my way to/from seeing her. 

I did meal prep on Sunday. Nothing sounded especially good to me when I was planning, but the consistent theme seems to be "tons of zucchini" so I made a shredded zucchini pizza (omnomnom) and some veggie/lentil daal for lunches. I might have under-prepped this week, but I over-prepped too much last week so I wanted to back off a little this time. I walked to a coffee shop and did Japanese homework, so I got a little bit of waking in before I played Fire Emblem all day. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Endor said:

When I read your Crossfit stuff it makes me want to go back...

You quit going because of your foot, right?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

You quit going because of your foot, right?

Actually xfit was due to a bursitis in my shoulder after not being coached properly to do a stupid useless lift I never should have been doing. In all honesty I was just sick of getting injured all the time and lost faith in the coach. Then I did F45 instead and broke my foot playing soccer. Apparently I'm made of glass :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Endor, LVL 40 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Current Challenge (Jan 2021)

9 hours ago, Endor said:

Actually xfit was due to a bursitis in my shoulder after not being coached properly to do a stupid useless lift I never should have been doing. In all honesty I was just sick of getting injured all the time and lost faith in the coach.

I mean, that's a great reason to quit. Is there only the one Box near you?

I needed a break so I didn't go to Crossfit this morning, but I was only able to sleep in about 30 minutes and then I wanted to move. So I did a 15 minute yoga video and it was lovely~

Challenge Summary!

Goals:

• Pullup Stuff - Some. I consistently only did 1x/week instead of 3. Better than nothing but I need a new plan.
  • Walk daily - Yes! 5 days, 6 days + 1 excused, 5 days + 1 excused, and 7 days! I didn't feel like I did much walking but because the goal is ANY walking I actually rocked this! 
  • Meal prep 1 tasty thing - Yes I stuck to this! I think it's slowly helping with meal prep, but I still don't have the right balance because I start eating out too much mid-week.

Non-goals:

• Put my bike in my car and go for a ride during a weekday when the trails are less crowded - Nope :( 
  • Go hike somewhere - Done!
  • Start doing calf raises throughout the day - Nope. I just don't wanna. I need to stop trying to force this.
  • Do more stretching, dangit - Yeah! Not a ton but I did probably weekly yoga sessions + some stretching and soft tissue work on my own
  • Do some job stuff - Slightly, but just slightly

The overall goal of the challenge was to focus on "the laundry" by embracing the day-to-day flow of living. Part of that was figuring out how I actually want to spend my time. Part of that was establishing some day-to-day routines. And another part of that was just to relax about it all. 

Somehow, that was actually very successful! I started going to Cfit 5x/week which was totally unplanned and surprising to me, but it turned out to be exactly what I wanted to do. I spent tons of time doing Japanese homework and studying, which is another thing that I find very satisfying and am happy to spend my time doing. I finally made an appointment and had my annual physical. I was a bit more social - drinks with Japanese classmate, driving to Hershey to see friends, and staying around after Cfit chatting with people, etc.

I've still got work to do but overall I feel much more content with my day to day choices. 

• Like 3

New challenge:

• Like 1