• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hazard

Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson is my patronus.

a97b23c04b6dcfc1c87af9b39c94ba22.jpg

Welcome to my challenge! 

I'm not new to Nerd Fitness.  If you're a Level 1, then I'm your Guild Leader.  My challenge thread is posted in this Level 1 subforum to serve as an example of a way to format and organize a challenge, in the hopes that seeing how I do it might help give you ideas for your own.

About Me

My Muggle name is Chris.  I'm a 41 yr old semi-retired guy happily at home being the primary caregiver for my 3 yrs old daughter.  Which is the Best Job Ever!   There's no pay, but the benefit package is adorable and calls me "Daddy."

Most of my time each day is invested with her.  As such, I've taken inspiration from Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's early morning workouts, by building the habit of waking up in the early morning (a couple of hours before my daughter normally wakes up) so that I can ensure I get my exercise done each day.

My Main Quest for this challenge is to...

• Get my bodyweight below 180 lbs.

As of the end of the the previous challenge (yesterday), I weigh roughly 188 lbs.   So we're going for a drop of 8 lbs over the next 5 weeks.

My Support Quests that will help me reach that goal are to...

1. Complete daily cardio. 
    • At least 500 calories burned via cardio each day.
  2. Restrict calories. 
    • My diet will vary from day to day, but I'll be trying to eat in the vicinity of 2000 calories.  Protein will stay high.
  3. Train like The Rock. 
    • Inspired by -- but not identical to -- Dwayne Johnson's typical exercise routines, I'm doing a bodypart split schedule with relatively high exercise volume.  I created an 8-day rotation for myself:
      • DAY 1: chest
      • DAY 2: legs [quads focus]
      • DAY 3: upperbody pull / back
      • DAY 4: rest (cardio only)
      • DAY 5: shoulders
      • DAY 6: legs [hamstrings/glutes focus]
      • DAY 7: arms & abs
      • DAY 8: rest (cardio only)
      • repeat

Thank you for reading.  I'd be delighted if you continued to visit my challenge thread, and kept me company throughout this month as I continue along my journey.   If you have any comments or questions, please feel free to post them.  Your comments are appreciated, and your questions are welcome.

• Like 8

REPORT: DAY ONE

Morning cardio (elliptical) -- 653 calories in 60 min.

Feeling cute. 

Might superset Dips in with literally everything. 

idk.  :topsy_turvy:

Training [shoulders]

• supersets
    • dips  /  barbell overhead presses
      • 1  /  30x10
      • 1  /  40x10
      • 2  /  50x10
      • 2  /  60x10
      • 3  /  70x10
      • 3  /  80x8
      • 4  /  90x7
      • 4  /  100x5
      • 5  /  110x2
      • 5  /  110x2
      • 6  /  105x3
      • 6  /  100x4
      • 7  /  95x6
      • 7  /  90x8
      • 8  /  85x7
      • 6  /  80x7
      • 5  /  75x8
      • 5  /  70x9
      • 4  /  65x10
  • supersets
    • dips  /  seated dumbbell laterals
      • 5  /  15x10
      • 6  /  10x12
      • 5  /  10x12
  • supersets
    • dips  /  cable rope facepulls
      • 4  /  35x20
      • 6  /  35x20
      • 5  /  35x20
      • 5  /  35x16
      • 6  /  30x20

(126 total Dip reps)

DIET

calories = 2033

fats = 13 g

carbs = 216 g

proteins = 262 g

• Like 2

REPORT: DAY 2

Morning cardio (elliptical) -- 842 calories in 60 min.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d12d4e4586e516432

Training [Legs]

• barbell romanian deadlifts
    • 30x20
    • 50x15
    • 70x10
    • 90x8
    • 110x6
    • 130x5
    • 150x4
    • 170x3
    • 190x2
    • 210x2
  • barbell deadlifts
    • (ramping singles)
      • 230x1
      • 250x1
      • 270x1
      • 290x1
    • (75% burn set)
      • 220x20
  • barbell standing calf raises
    • 50x80
    • 50x80
    • 50x80

DIET

calories = 2018

fats = 24 g

carbs = 194 g

proteins = 256 g

15 hours ago, Harriet said:

Is that... 19 sets of overhead presses? Wowch (wow, but also ouch).

Only 19?  Whoops.  I should have done another set to round it out to 20. :lol:.   In all seriousness though, I wasn't counting the number of sets.  I was doing whatever amount I needed to do to fully fatigue my side deltoids.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

How are you liking the elliptical compared to when you used the treadmill?

I like the elliptical better.  

I do miss the treadmill's ability to increase speeds, and thereby change my stride length.  Sometimes, I just want to open my stride and fly.   But can't do that with the elliptical.  It's locked into a 22 inch stride length no matter how slow or fast I "step."   That seems a small sacrifice for fixing the problems the treadmill presented though.  Daily jogging on the treadmill used to beat my feet to death.  I was waking up with sore feet most every day.   I haven't had that issue with the elliptical.  It hasn't caused me any excessive skeletal stress or joint issues from daily use, so far.  And I'm very happy about that difference.

Every tool has it's pros and cons though.  The main con I've experienced with the elliptical is that my outer two toes sometimes start going numb when I've been on it for a while.  I've already developed a habit to combat that, by pausing the workout and walking around the room for a minute, about every 20 minutes or so, pre-emptively making sure that my toes keep good circulation.  That seems to be working.

My favorite feature of the elliptical is that it uses magnetic resistance.  Making a workout harder or easier on the elliptical can be done at any time with the simple push of a button.  Being able to make every step harder on the elliptical is a thing of beauty.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bleubiirb said:

Following. This is kind of fascinating, I've never seen a workout programmed to this kind of volume :o

Welcome aboard.

Reps+for+jesus+_75a25df912c1d26354e9d025

• Like 2

REPORT: DAY 3

Morning cardio (elliptical) -- 606 calories in 60 min.

Training [arms & abs]

• giant sets
    • dumbbell supinating curls
      • 5x25
      • 10x25
      • 15x25
      • 20x20
      • 25x15
      • 30x8
    • EZ bar curls
      • 15x25
      • 20x25
      • 25x25
      • 30x25
      • 35x20
      • 40x20
    • cable one-arm curls
      • 5x20
      • 10x15
      • 15x12
      • 15x10
      • 15x8
      • 10x10
  • chin-ups
    • (132 total reps)
      • x5, 5, 5, 5
      • x4, 4, 4, 4, 4
      • x4, 4, 4, 4, 4
      • x4, 4, 4, 4, 4
      • x3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3
      • x3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3
      • x2, 2, 2, 2, 2
  • supersets
    • situps
      • x25, 25, 20
    • lying leg raises
      • x20, 15, 15
  • barbell landmine twists
    • 40x20
    • 40x20
    • 40x20
    • 40x20
    • 40x20

Commentary:  In retrospect, I should have supersetted all the ab exercises in with the chinups to save some time.

DIET

calories = 2006

fats = 23 g

carbs = 208 g

proteins = 252 g

• Like 2

On 6/27/2019 at 6:05 AM, Mortimer said:

I love your running hamster on the wheel! And looking at the number of reps makes me feel tired lol.

What's a superset? 

A superset means that I did the listed exercises without a break between them.  Treating them as 1 set, essentially.   For example, in that last workout I supersetted the situps and lying leg raises.  What that means is that I did a set of situps (25 reps) and then immediately did a set of lying leg raises (20 reps) without taking a rest between them (except to change position for the new exercise while taking a couple of breaths).   I do take a brief rest at the end of the superset.  So after the lying leg raises I'd rest for a bit (about 60 seconds in this case), then do the next superset (a situp set + a lying leg raise set).  

In contrast, in case you or anybody else reading this is wondering, a giant set means that I did the exercises in order, similar to a superset, except that I do take a rest between each exercise.   In the last workout for example, I performed the three different bicep curl exercises as a giant set.  What that means is that I did one set of supinated DB curls, rested briefly (about 30 seconds in this case), then did one set of EZ bar curls, rested briefly, then one set of cable one-arm curls (for each arm).  After completing one set of each exercise -- a "giant set" -- I then took a more normal rest (about 2 minutes in this case) before starting again with the next giant set.

Make sense?   Questions?

• Like 3

REPORT: DAY 4

Morning cardio (elliptical) -- 615 calories in 68 min.

Recovery day

DIET

calories = 1990

fats = 17 g

carbs = 207 g

proteins = 254 g

• Like 1

REPORT: DAY 5

Morning cardio (elliptical) -- 696 calories in 60 min.

Training [chest]

• bench press series
    • wide grip, 30° incline bench
      • 30x25
      • 50x20
      • 70x16
      • 90x10
      • 100x8
    • wide grip, 15° incline bench
      • 110x12
      • 120x8
    • wide grip, flat bench
      • 130x10
      • 140x6
    • normal grip, flat bench
      • 150x3
      • 170x2
      • 150x8
      • 140x9
      • 130x8
      • 120x10
  • cable crossovers, high pulley
    • 10x20
    • 10x20
    • 10x20
  • cable crossovers, low pulley
    • 5x15
    • 5x15
    • 5x12
  • dumbbell flys
    • 15x18
    • 15x16
    • 15x16
  • dumbbell pullovers
    • 45x14
    • 45x14
    • 45x13

DIET

calories = 1945

fats = 39 g

carbs = 159 g

proteins = 250 g

• Like 2

REPORT: DAY 6

Morning cardio (elliptical) -- 587 calories in 60 min.

Training Commentary:  You'll notice below that I stopped my leg training short today.  That was to prevent an acute injury from becoming a chronic injury.  Everything was fine when I woke up.  Everything was fine during cardio.  But my legs were feeling a bit tight.  So after cardio I decided to do a little stretching to loosen up before beginning my workout.  I apparently over-did it on one of the stretches, because after stretching, as I began my first squat set, I noticed discomfort on the outer side of my ankle.  It started feeling like a "rolled" ankle.  Like you might get if you suddenly stumble and fall sideways. 

I thought it might be something that'd work itself out through a few squat sets.  But it didn't.  It wasn't painful.  Just a moderate discomfort when applying force through the leg.   I felt weaker through that ankle though.  And as I put more weight on the bar the weakness through the ankle become more of an issue.  On the last set listed below, I decided to stop mid-set.  I've already learned the hard way in the past that it's better to stop the workout and let something like this clear up quickly, rather than push forward and risk an injury that could end up plaguing me for weeks.

Training [legs, quads focus]

• barbell ATG olympic squat
    • 30x10
    • 50x10
    • 70x10
    • 90x10
    • 110x10
    • 130x10
    • 150x4 -- stop

DIET

calories = ????

fats = ?? g

carbs = ??? g

proteins = ??? g

Diet Commentary:  Since I started doing my 8-day training rotation, I've typically done a "refeed" on the 8th day of the rotation.  I skipped the refeed on the last rotation.  I'm still fat enough that I theoretically shouldn't need a refeed, physiologically speaking.   But, the Missus wanted to go out for lunch today at a place we haven't been yet.  I debated with myself for a good 10 minutes over whether or not to do it. 

Skipping a refeed would/should provide a speed bonus toward my weight-loss Main Quest.  But on the other hand, having it today can justly be viewed as being the refeed I skipped a few days ago -- done a couple of days late.  And it would make my wife happy.   She's usually pretty good about being supportive of my diet and fitness goals.  Soooooo, I decided to toss the bonus and enjoy the meal out with my wife. 

I'll be paying for that decision with slightly slowed weightloss. :sorrow:.   But I gain relationship points in exchange.  :triumphant:.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Hazard said:

On the last set listed below, I decided to stop mid-set.  I've already learned the hard way in the past that it's better to stop the workout and let something like this clear up quickly, rather than push forward and risk an injury that could end up plaguing me for weeks.

So prudent and logical. I must try to cultivate this attitude as well, instead of the impatience I often take to my workouts. 

12 hours ago, Hazard said:

Since I started doing my 8-day training rotation, I've typically done a "refeed" on the 8th day of the rotation.  I skipped the refeed on the last rotation.  I'm still fat enough that I theoretically shouldn't need a refeed, physiologically speaking.   

Are the re-feeds psychologically helpful? 

• Like 1

I think refeeds make you feel good. I'm not calculating to the point on refeeding etc since on weekends, I just eat whatevers available which may/may not be that healthy. Usually getting proteins outside isn't that hard but bucketloads of vegetables are. 

If any part of my body(usually shoulders) give me issues, I will pass on that set of exercises(like hanging on the bar). 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Harriet said:

When I was training harder, I had two refeed days per week. It didn't seem to impact things too much, but then I am not in a hurry for any specific weight loss results. It helps because I come from a background where food has been a serious problem and disorder. The ability to refeed is much more satisfying than the constant grind of feeling like I am restricted in some way. A weight off the mind I guess you could call it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Harriet said:

Yes.  Knowing a refeed day isn't too far off keeps my willpower higher, helping me stick to my calorie restriction on all the other days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mortimer said:

I think refeeds make you feel good.

My refeeds take me from my normal 200-ish grams of carbs, to eating 550+ grams of carbs.  On refeed days, my brain and muscles are virtually bathing in glucose.  Yes, it definitely makes me feel good. :lol:.   

• Like 2

REPORT: DAY 7

Morning cardio (elliptical) -- 744 calories in 60 min.

Ankle Update:  Cardio on the elliptical was fine this morning.  When I first got out of bed, I felt some discomfort in my ankle still from the injury yesterday.  But it didn't hinder my cardio, and using the elliptical didn't seem to bother it.  I've noticed my ankle has been improving throughout the day.  It's evening now and there's no discomfort anymore.

Training [upperbody pull / back]

• inclined inverted rows
    • (in sets of 10 reps, with 90 seconds rest between sets)
      • x10,10,10,10,10
      • x10,10,10,10,10
      • x10,10,10,10,10
      • x10,10,10,10,10
      • x10,10,10,10,10  [total reps: 250]
  • cable double-d-grip pulldowns
    • 70x20
    • 70x20
    • 70x20
  • cable rope pulldowns
    • 60x15
    • 50x20
    • 50x20
  • cable supinated close-grip pulldowns
    • 70x20
    • 70x20
    • 70x20

DIET

calories = 1993

fats = 29 g

carbs = 197 g

proteins = 251 g

• Like 3

REPORT: DAY 8

Morning cardio (elliptical) -- 699 calories in 60 min.

Recovery day

DIET

calories = 2007

fats = 20 g

carbs = 203 g

proteins = 253 g

• Like 2