Heyo! I've been on these forums for a month but didn't introduce myself outside of my first-timer challenge. I tend to get really long-winded on these sorts of things, so I'll try to curb the impulse.

Professionally, I work in web content and have applied for a transfer to a web accessibility position, which would be cool. By night, I'm a novelist (aspiring novelist? pre-published novelist?). Both of these jobs involve sitting at the computer all the time. Since I dream of being as badass as the characters I write about, and I'd like to not be in so much discomfort and pain from my sedentary lifestyle, physical fitness is important to me. I'm interested in all-around cross-training, both strength and endurance, building muscle mass and flexibility, and being able to do fun stuff.

My active hobbies are snowboarding, rock climbing, skateboarding, and hiking. My inactive hobbies include baking and tabletop RPGs. I like coffee but cheap coffee makes me sick so I became a coffee snob. I had no other choice. I partially blame my friend for getting into it and showing me the wonders of a really good cup. I'm looking into getting my own grinder and aeropress now. I'm also a tea snob after drinking lots of loose leaf earl grey and real Japanese green tea (not the stuff in those flat little bags).

I write science fiction/space fantasy and my favorite author is Lois McMaster Bujold. My favorite novel is Paladin of Souls by the aforementioned (read Curse of Chalion first, and definitely read both if you like fantasy). If you like sci-fi I cannot recommend The Expanse by James S.A. Corey enough. It's so good and has some of the best female characters in science fiction.

My favorite video game is Horizon Zero Dawn, but I'm actually still in Meridian (on story mode) because I struggle with double-joysticking and I spend 15-20 hours a week on my novel on top of my full-time job, so I progress through games very slowly. I prefer to watch them, so I watched my husband play it through. I'm currently watching him get skewered by black knights in Dark Souls 3. Another game I loved was Transistor. Beautiful, sad, lovely.

All right, I'm off to peck away at that novel again. Have fun and be awesome, peeps!

• Like 4

🌹❄️ Inside we're torn apart, but time will mend our hearts ...so let's just live 🔥🖤

Last Challenge: Fox and the Imaginary Seaside Summer | Current Challenge: Fox Keeps it Simple (with RWBY gifs)

Welcome! Totally awesome that you're writing novels! And thank you for the sci fi recommendation. Great female characters are always a pleasure to read (or watch). Do you have a plan for how you're going to get that strength and endurance? 

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

On 6/25/2019 at 7:27 AM, Harriet said:

Do you have a plan for how you're going to get that strength and endurance? 

Hi! Right now I'm doing P90X3, 30 minutes of vigorous exercise 6 days a week for 90 days. So far I really like it. There are cardio-focused sessions as well as strength-focused sessions and to do each exercise to it's fullest requires a great deal of flexibility and core strength. My plan is to set roughly three-month work out plans so I can adjust to shifting responsibilities and commitments throughout the year, but at this point 30 minutes before work is very sustainable and I'd like to keep at that until it's routine and I can find areas to grow. I lose muscle mass so fast that even though I did weight training for about six months last year, after a month off it's like I never did it at all, so physically I'm new to this all over again. P90X3 is such a challenge right now that I think I could do the whole thing 3 times before I start needing to diversify my training in order to improve.

• Like 1

🌹❄️ Inside we're torn apart, but time will mend our hearts ...so let's just live 🔥🖤

Last Challenge: Fox and the Imaginary Seaside Summer | Current Challenge: Fox Keeps it Simple (with RWBY gifs)

On 6/26/2019 at 1:51 PM, foxinthenorth said:

Hi! Right now I'm doing P90X3, 30 minutes of vigorous exercise 6 days a week for 90 days. So far I really like it. There are cardio-focused sessions as well as strength-focused sessions and to do each exercise to it's fullest requires a great deal of flexibility and core strength. My plan is to set roughly three-month work out plans so I can adjust to shifting responsibilities and commitments throughout the year, but at this point 30 minutes before work is very sustainable and I'd like to keep at that until it's routine and I can find areas to grow. I lose muscle mass so fast that even though I did weight training for about six months last year, after a month off it's like I never did it at all, so physically I'm new to this all over again. P90X3 is such a challenge right now that I think I could do the whole thing 3 times before I start needing to diversify my training in order to improve.

Groovy. I looked up P90X3 and it looks like it has a bit of everything - strength, cardio, etc. Good luck! 

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru