• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

raptron

Raptron Repeats Herself

Day 2.3

I somehow fell back asleep after all of my alarms yesterday morning and was running late to work and in a total panic because I was convinced I had a meeting with one of our consultants that morning. Turns out that it's not until next week, so my panic was for nothing. :P  The rest of the day was pretty chill. I went to the gym after work and got called out by some of the owners for not being around much lately. I like my gym. :)

Bench: 4 x 2 x 135# <-- oh my god, my pecs were so sore from Monday, which only became obvious once I started actually benching

Deadlifts: 2 x 3 x 285#, 2 x 2 x 285#, 2 x 1 x 285# <-- these started out great but slowed down significantly, haha. The singles at the end were solid though

Push-ups: 3 x 10

Glute ham sliders: 3 x 10 per side

Standing DB press: 3 x 8 x 30#s

I walked home and made dinner. I cooked some quinoa but added too much water and overcooked it slightly so it started turning into kind of a goo -- I added a bunch of shredded cheddar and a splash of cream turned it into like a quinoa polenta situation that is way better than just mush. I also cooked up ground turkey with onions, peas, and gojuchang and had that with my quinoa polenta and a bunch of diced cucumber in seasoned rice vinegar. It was a surprisingly satisfying meal after not really cooking for myself in like 2 weeks (the pre-made sausage and cabbage stir-fry I made on Monday doesn't really count), with travel and having no appetite from being sick. I had dinner with my roommate that I am still not really, idk, meshed well with while we watched an episode of Big Little Lies together. So, that seems like progress too! 

Lifting: 3/4

Shenanigans: 0/2

Writing: 3/4

Side note: The cold brew I made on Monday is SO GOOD. I forgot how good my own cold brew can be and now I feel foolish for buying so much coffee this summer, haha. I need to start up my iced hibiscus tea habit again too! I still have so many flowers. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, raptron said:

I also cooked up ground turkey with onions, peas, and gojuchang

Never heard of gojuchang... is it like sriracha?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, raptron said:

The cold brew I made on Monday is SO GOOD. I forgot how good my own cold brew can be and now I feel foolish for buying so much coffee this summer, haha. I need to start up my iced hibiscus tea habit again too! I still have so many flowers. 

So awesome!  I used to LOVE making hibiscus tea, cut it with mint.  Would like to know more about your cold brew (assuming coffee, yes?).  I've tried to make it and it didn't come out very good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mediaguy99 said:

So awesome!  I used to LOVE making hibiscus tea, cut it with mint.  Would like to know more about your cold brew (assuming coffee, yes?).  I've tried to make it and it didn't come out very good.

nobody asked for my opinion but i'll give it anyway!! :D your cold brew is going to depend on the quality of the beans, quality of the water, time to steep, and the amount of beans. we use pretty high quality beans but just tap water works for us. we also grind the beans no more than 3 days before using and for cold brew, the beans should be ground coarsely. ratio of the ground beans to water will depend on your strength preference but you could generally start at 3/4 cup beans to 4 cups of water. we only steep for about 10-12 hours and it comes out great!

coarse grind:

coarsely-ground-coffee-for-cold-brew-550

those are my tips but everyone makes their coffee differently

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Bonding over food always works well :) 

Glad you're feeling better! Swallowing razor blades really does not sound like fun. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Harriet said:

Never heard of gojuchang... is it like sriracha?

It's a definitely funkier than sriracha. It's a Korean red pepper paste that has a great depth of flavor, spiciness, and little bit of sweetness. It's kind of like a spicy miso or soybean paste? I love it. 

22 hours ago, mediaguy99 said:

I used to just make it in a big tupperware in the fridge, but I got one of those cold brew pitchers for Christmas and just use that now. I make it very strong so it's more of a concentrate and I can dilute it out with ice, water, and/or milk. That way I don't have to make it as often and it takes up less space in the fridge. I use about 110g of coarsely ground coffee for ehhh, 1 L or so of water? It doesn't brew as strong as just leaving the grounds free floating around, but it's a lot easier to strain and clean (for me personally). 

20 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

nobody asked for my opinion but i'll give it anyway!! :D your cold brew is going to depend on the quality of the beans, quality of the water, time to steep, and the amount of beans. we use pretty high quality beans but just tap water works for us. we also grind the beans no more than 3 days before using and for cold brew, the beans should be ground coarsely. ratio of the ground beans to water will depend on your strength preference but you could generally start at 3/4 cup beans to 4 cups of water. we only steep for about 10-12 hours and it comes out great!

All these things are true too!

Day 2.4

I went to gymnastics practice and was actually able to do stuff! Great improvement over last Saturday's lying around complaining about being sick and basically my first actual practice since June 24. :[

I got there late because the trains have been a mess since one derailed into a main signal station last month (sigh), but was excited to see that some of my teammates were actually there. I stretched pretty quickly (because it was so warm, it's easy!), did my floor warm-up basics, and headed to uneven bars. I worked on some kip + free hips on the low bar, a couple of uprises + free hip + fly aways on the high bar, and then worked on my toe shoots to high bar. I did a couple of POWER kips (basically a kipping muscle-up) out of them, but no actual glide kips because my timing was not quite right. My calluses also always feel extra ready to tear on hot days with high humidity -- something I've asked other people about, but no one else seems to experience it, haha. Calluses in mind, I stopped working on those a bit earlier than I intended and did a bunch of casting attempts instead. I will cast to handstand some freakin' day.

I spent about 15 minutes on balance beam and did a couple of lovely (for me!) round-offs and the lower right side of my back muscles decided to seize up slightly. I howled "MY ERECTORSSS!" dramatically and hopped off. I think they are just protesting going from 0 to 60, as I am wont to do, with deadlifting yesterday and lots of uneven bars today. Both are very lower back demanding. I rolled out a bit and they were fine, so I finished up with an entire vault runway of butt scoots:

giphy.gif

They turn into L-sit butt scoots when you actually have the hip flexor strength for them. I did like... 3 of those before I just swapped to the bent leg version. These are abs, hip flexors, and tricep murder. :)

My friend and I got post-workout 7/11 cherry slurpees for slurpee day (even though we missed the deadline, oops) and it was the best thing I have ever had in my life.

Lifting: 3/4

Shenanigans: 0/2

Writing: 3/4

Lifting tonight! I remembered also that I have that 7 and change mile race in mid-August and that I should probably get a few training runs in before that. I don't think I can fit any in this week, but in the coming weeks I'll try to add 1x per week running to my schedule and get 4-5 training runs in before race day. I'd like to include at least one 5+ mile run in there. 

I feel like shenanigans will definitely occur at the gymnasts' wedding or at the team beach day this weekend. :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Oh no it’s not just you, last year when it was stupidly hot here I ripped pretty much EVERY time I went climbing for a few weeks. It was bad.

So nice to see you back on form! :) 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, raptron said:

My calluses also always feel extra ready to tear on hot days with high humidity -- something I've asked other people about, but no one else seems to experience it, haha.

Yea I actually cancel any snatch plans for classes on hot humid days, otherwise it'll be a bloody party. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Oh no it’s not just you, last year when it was stupidly hot here I ripped pretty much EVERY time I went climbing for a few weeks. It was bad.

14 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Yea I actually cancel any snatch plans for classes on hot humid days, otherwise it'll be a bloody party. 

Oh good!!! Everyone was looking at me like I was crazy, haha. 

On 7/11/2019 at 11:41 AM, CourtnieMarie said:

those are my tips but everyone makes their coffee differently

Hey thank you for that.  Everyone needs a good recipe, and now I apparently have one.  I will try this over the weekend :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, raptron said:

It's a definitely funkier than sriracha. It's a Korean red pepper paste that has a great depth of flavor, spiciness, and little bit of sweetness. It's kind of like a spicy miso or soybean paste? I love it.

Is that the stuff that goes in bibimbap?  If so, it is soooo good :) 

13 hours ago, raptron said:

My calluses also always feel extra ready to tear on hot days with high humidity

Mine do too, but then again they feel like tearing on every other day too :D 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2019 at 12:13 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Is that the stuff that goes in bibimbap?  If so, it is soooo good :) 

It's definitely in bibimbap. :D 

giphy.gif

Day 2.5

I went to yoga during lunch and it was less restorative/relaxing than usual. We had a LOT of lunging going on. It was still a nice way to break up the day. Lifting after work went much better than on Wednesday, but my left quad was feeling a bit tender after squats.

Squats: 2 x 3 x 250#, 3 x 240#, 3 x 230#

Bulgarian split squats: 4 x 8 x 40# dbs

Kneeling DB press: 4 x 8 x 35# 

L-hang rope climb attempts: 5  -- I've been able to get 5 hand over hands, so far. I'm hoping to make it to the top of the rack by fall, haha.

Single leg glute bridges: 4 x 25 per side

Day 2.6

My friend and I had a last minute VISION for outfit changes for the reception dance and went shopping before practice -- but no luck. Practice was SO HOT and it was pretty poorly attended because a lot of folks were already up in NH for the wedding or were just avoiding the hot, hot gym. I did 5-6 front handspring + front pike + front tucks, with each one getting a little better than the last, whew. I tried to do some uneven bars, but my hands were just too angry and I had bruises on my hips from attempting casts on Thursday, so my visit to bars was short lived. I ended with a little bit of balance beam and attempting some front aerials on the tumble strip/soft mat area.

After practice was a whirlwind of showering, finishing packing, trying to eat some lunch, checking one more store for our potential outfits (nope), and driving up to NH, where we had under an hour to finish getting ready -- haha. 

We did a LOT of photos because we had some fun trains to play with and really nice light (haha). I'm going to count trying to do a bunch of beam poses on railroad tracks in stilettos as both "shenanigans" and ankle pre-hab. :D 

764f8901a0708ed86ecb037770d250e8.png

We danced, we sang, we cheered, etc. Usual wedding stuff. 

Day 2.7

We were slow to get up and get going on Sunday -- shocking, I know. We got a hearty breakfast from a diner on the way back down to Boston and headed straight to the beach, but didn't get there until 3pm or so, despite the fact that I was the one who set up the team beach day to start at 2pm. Oops. Either way, it was a pretty small showing and the only people who came were also at the wedding the day before, haha. It was very hot out but the water was nice and cold and we stuck around until 6pm or so -- when it actually got very nice, temperature-wise with a good breeze and cloud cover. Honestly, it's the ideal time frame for my fair skin, anyway. :P

We got post-beach dinner, I showered, unpacked some, and went to bed before 11pm. 

Lifting: 4/4

Shenanigans: 1/2

Writing: 4/4

• Like 8

1 hour ago, raptron said:

I'm going to count trying to do a bunch of beam poses on railroad tracks in stilettos as both "shenanigans" and ankle pre-hab. :D 

Legit! 

Also,  great dress! 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Harriet said:

Lovely. There should be a sequinned shenanigans series. 

Many of my life shenanigans are sequinned, hehe.

2 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I don't know how you pull off walking on those things, let alone posing! :D

I can only wear heels with at least some kind of ankle strap! That keeps them very solidly on the feet and means I roll my ankles less, haha.

Day 3.1

It was my friend's last day of chemo! Woo! We had a good showing of folks to hang out in the suite with her and it was an afternoon session, so I went from work and went straight to gymnastics from the treatment center. It was... guess what? SUPER HOT in the gym. Shocking, I know.

giphy.gif

I just worked on front handspring + front layouts, attempting to set up for a rebound to do another skill after it... with no success, but you know, still getting some practice in. And then I did toe shoots to high bar and my hands were surprisingly doing pretty good until the very end there, so that was nice. The actual toe shoots weren't great, but progress isn't linear and getting in practice is always a good thing. I ended with press handstands for strength conditioning. My traps were incredibly sore from Saturday's front tumbling practice and my sports bra was like digging in, so I spent a lot of time whining.

Finished the day with post-practice tacos, duh. 

Lifting: 4/7

Shenanigans: 1/3

Writing: 4/6

I need to grocery shop real bad and actually make some food. Plan is lifting T/W/F. Gymnastics again on Thursday. It's going to be 100 degrees Fahrenheit this weekend, so I am planning to tag along with a friend to her family's lake house in Maine, which means skipping Sat practice, but I may also do a training run on Sunday with her. 

I may not really be home in any of the upcoming weekends... for a while. Next weekend, I'm probably going down to CT to hang out at my friend's pool. After that, I have my work retreat right into a trip to DC for a girl's weekend with high school friends. The weekend after that is gymnastics camp in Tennessee. Then after that is the 7 mile race on the Cape, so we'll be staying out on the Cape that Saturday night. 

BronzeLawfulBluefintuna-max-1mb.gif

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, raptron said:

I need to grocery shop real bad and actually make some food. Plan is lifting T/W/F. Gymnastics again on Thursday. It's going to be 100 degrees Fahrenheit this weekend, so I am planning to tag along with a friend to her family's lake house in Maine, which means skipping Sat practice, but I may also do a training run on Sunday with her. 

Ew. Here I'm whining about low 90s, that sounds horrible.

27 minutes ago, raptron said:

I may not really be home in any of the upcoming weekends... for a while. Next weekend, I'm probably going down to CT to hang out at my friend's pool. After that, I have my work retreat right into a trip to DC for a girl's weekend with high school friends. The weekend after that is gymnastics camp in Tennessee. Then after that is the 7 mile race on the Cape, so we'll be staying out on the Cape that Saturday night. 

Busy, busy. Lots of opportunities for shenanigans, but a heightened need for relax time. 

17 hours ago, raptron said:

I can only wear heels with at least some kind of ankle strap! That keeps them very solidly on the feet and means I roll my ankles less, haha.

Yeah, but if you do happen roll your ankle in strappy heels then the chance of breaking or seriously hurting your ankle goes up by lots (as we learned the hard way) :( 

17 hours ago, raptron said:

Whew, I feel tired just reading that

21 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Ew. Here I'm whining about low 90s, that sounds horrible.

It's low 90s most of this week and I'm also whining.

21 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Busy, busy. Lots of opportunities for shenanigans, but a heightened need for relax time. 

There is a decent amount of relax time built-in! This weekend and next are lying by water. Gymnastics camp is always super exhausting, but we use Sunday to chill in a pool and decompress as well. The Cape race will have a beach day after. DC will likely not be relaxing at all, but I'm taking an extra day in DC to work from our office there and flying back a day later than our gathering ends. I think these things will all be good! It's just a question of when the heck will I do my laundry? ;) 

21 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

yowwwwwwww we'll be in Maine this weekend too! lots of sunscreen and being underwater

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Yeah, but if you do happen roll your ankle in strappy heels then the chance of breaking or seriously hurting your ankle goes up by lots (as we learned the hard way) :( 

I have heard that, but ankle rolling and I are very well acquainted. I feel much safer in heels that attach firmly or in wedges. (<3 wedges.)

source.gif

Day 3.2

I'm maybe doing a new program or maybe I'm just fucking around. I don't know, but we're back to 5s. 

Squats: 5 x 245#, 5 x 240#, 2 x 5 x 225# <-- I still don't know how to squat. Squats have been weird all year.

Bench: 5 x 135#, 5 x 130#, 2 x 5 x 125# <-- first 3 reps paused on the 125 sets

Curls: 3 x 7 x 20#

Legless rope climbs: 5 attempts

Pull-up/chin-up to grip switch bent arm hangs: 5 attempts <-- in a bent arm grip with my chin at the bar, I attempted to swap my grip without dropping. Idk, I saw some ninja warriors do it and it seemed like more fun bicep accessory work than curls. :P This might count as shenanigans, but I didn't film it.

I went grocery shopping after the gym and saw someone with a baguette, so I had an instant flashback to eating goat cheese and bread for dinner various nights in college and wanted to replicate that for myself on this hot July night. I wound up getting a nice, seedy loaf of bread and doing just that while I cooked for lunches for the rest of the week (poached chicken, couscous, and sauteed shredded brussels). I wound up eating some chicken when it was done cooking as well, plus a big bowl of fresh cherries after. I probably should have had some veggies too, but it was just one of those days.

Lifting: 5/7

Shenanigans: 1/3

Writing: 5/6

Tonight is lifting, plus I'll try to get some laundry done and I think I feel like settling into a re-read or re-watch of some comfort media. We normally try to have D&D on Wednesdays (currently on hiatus for a player's new baby), so maybe someone will try to rally for a social gaming night instead. Either would work for me. 

• Like 5

yusss productive night of lifting and cooking! i might have to steal that lunch recipe. how do you season it?

i always had my college baguettes with brie. it made me feel like i was on a fantasy adventure because that's basically what every character ever written eats on the road :lol:

• Like 1