• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

raptron

Raptron Repeats Herself

12 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

yusss productive night of lifting and cooking! i might have to steal that lunch recipe. how do you season it?

I did the couscous with some butter, fresh parsley, and garlic. The poached chicken just has chipotle hot sauce on it. The brussels were sauteed in olive oil with lemon and I put some diced toasted walnuts in there. It's all pretty light! I alternately sometimes add chickpeas to my couscous or make the brussels balsamic-y. 

12 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

i always had my college baguettes with brie. it made me feel like i was on a fantasy adventure because that's basically what every character ever written eats on the road :lol:

Oooh, yes! I obviously also love brie, but that was more for "gatherings" than for dinners in my world, haha. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CourtnieMarie said:

i always had my college baguettes with brie. it made me feel like i was on a fantasy adventure because that's basically what every character ever written eats on the road :lol:

My adventure meals are always an assortment of dried meat, fruits, nuts and cheese

• Like 2

22 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

My adventure meals are always an assortment of dried meat, fruits, nuts and cheese

I love doing those as well! But that would have required more shopping for me, hehe.

Day 3.3

A huge storm was rolling in while I was walking to the gym and I was cutting it real close there! I got in through the door just as a giant thunder rumble cracked through the sky and the clouds opened up. Phew. Given the heat and humidity, it's been a blessing to have the air conditioning on in the gym. 

Deadlifts: 5 x 285#, 4 x 285#, 2 x 5 x 275#

DB OHP: 4 x 10 x 30# DBs

Hypers: 4 x 25 x 50# kb

Bent over DB rows: 4 x 10 x  45#

I walked home in some drizzle, ate snacks at home, and cooked up a bunch of collard greens, which I ate with some of the poached chicken from yesterday. I started a Veronica Mars rewatch because I've been craving some comfort media. I love that show. 

Lifting: 6/7

Shenanigans: 1/3

Writing: 5/6

The temp is down today, so I might try to sneak a short run in during lunch in the rain because the 7 miler is in 4-5 weeks, now, and I have not been training much... or at all for it since the two 5k races in June. Oops. I'll run today and maybe Sunday. Then, like I mentioned previously, I'll try to run at least once a week. I may TRY a day where I jog and also go to gymnastics practice because practice hasn't been very demanding lately due to the oppressive heat. We'll see what happens? :P

• Like 4

On 7/9/2019 at 9:09 AM, raptron said:

but it's more like swallowing pumice stones than razor blades now. Woo!

So, I flipped a coin to see if I should go to the lifting gym. When it said "no," I said, "fuck you, coin!" and went out to the lifting gym anyway. 

Even if I was swallowing razor stones for most of it. 

I'm *very* late on reacting to this, but I audibly chuckled at all these lines in your sick day saga!

On 7/11/2019 at 8:53 AM, raptron said:

I walked home and made dinner. I cooked some quinoa but added too much water and overcooked it slightly so it started turning into kind of a goo -- I added a bunch of shredded cheddar and a splash of cream turned it into like a quinoa polenta situation that is way better than just mush. I also cooked up ground turkey with onions, peas, and gojuchang and had that with my quinoa polenta and a bunch of diced cucumber in seasoned rice vinegar. It was a surprisingly satisfying meal after not really cooking for myself in like 2 weeks (the pre-made sausage and cabbage stir-fry I made on Monday doesn't really count), with travel and having no appetite from being sick. I had dinner with my roommate that I am still not really, idk, meshed well with while we watched an episode of Big Little Lies together. So, that seems like progress too! 

Huzzah for great improvised saves and roommate bonding!

On 7/11/2019 at 8:53 AM, raptron said:

Side note: The cold brew I made on Monday is SO GOOD. I forgot how good my own cold brew can be and now I feel foolish for buying so much coffee this summer, haha. I need to start up my iced hibiscus tea habit again too! I still have so many flowers. 

Homemade cold brew is SO GOOD!!! I take the lazy boy approach and just use cold brew bags from TJ's but it still comes out great enough that I can usually save the money I'd spend on coffee out and about.

On 7/17/2019 at 8:47 AM, raptron said:

I went grocery shopping after the gym and saw someone with a baguette, so I had an instant flashback to eating goat cheese and bread for dinner various nights in college and wanted to replicate that for myself on this hot July night. I wound up getting a nice, seedy loaf of bread and doing just that while I cooked for lunches for the rest of the week (poached chicken, couscous, and sauteed shredded brussels).

Ooooh I love the sound of this - I know what I'm gonna try next time I'm in a grocery store!

• Like 1

9C118A6B-A636-4089-98C6-DF8D6995006A.jpe

cheese_feta.jpg

88000886-tomato-slice-with-parsley-leave

And then into the oven for 15 minutes or so. 

Haven't had that in a long time but it's definitely happening this weekend. 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, raptron said:

I started a Veronica Mars rewatch because I've been craving some comfort media. I love that show. 

This thread needs more Veronica Mars gifs and discussion of the the best early 00s tv shows. Bonus points for speculation for the revival  that is upon us. 

17 hours ago, KB Girl said:

[bread]

[feta]

[tomatoes]

And then into the oven for 15 minutes or so. 

Haven't had that in a long time but it's definitely happening this weekend. 

Um, YES.

8 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

This thread needs more Veronica Mars gifs and discussion of the the best early 00s tv shows. Bonus points for speculation for the revival  that is upon us. 

giphy.gif

I am so very excited for the revival. I can imagine everyone getting a call from Kristen Bell and being like "oh, we get to hang out again?? score!" 

Day 3.4

I texted my friend to double check that it is cool that I'm going up with her to her parents' lake house this weekend because I kind of invited myself. Her reply: "no, it's great! do you eat lobster??" So, we're all good for the weekend plans. :D They also have a speedboat. I am quite excited.

It was only 70 at lunch instead of the 90-94 it's been the rest of the week, so I got in a training run. I meant to go shorter than 3 miles, but get a weird self-ego thing about running shorter distances and just kept going. 

c3d7edf0fb8ee07a5c1dd8635d1dfb0d.png

Since the race is 7 miles in 4 weeks, I feel like I should up my mileage going forward. I'll do at least 40 minutes next time... and then I guess aim for 5 miles the following week. And maybe 6 miles the week before the race? If I wind up doing more than one training run a week, one will be shorter, but let's be honest -- that's not going to happen. 

And remember when I was like "oh, let's see how it goes to run and do gymnastics on the same day"? Er... yesterday? When I said that? Well, I also did that yesterday. I took a 20 minute power snooze after work and then headed to the gym. Unsurprisingly, my legs were toast from squats on Tuesday, deadlifts on Wednesday, and running... the same day. BUT, my upper body was fine, which meant it was a good day to do a lot of uneven bars. I still did my usual floor warm-ups, but my hip flexors were not loving life. On bars, I managed to do a few underswing + uprise + free-hip + flyaways, which is good. I also worked toe shoots again and they were a bit better than... Monday? Or Saturday? Whichever day it was I was last working on them. I ended with 10 minutes on beam, just doing basics and jumps/leaps. 

I definitely got another cherry slurpee after this practice too... hahaha. Post workout carbs, duh. :P 

Lifting: 6/7

Shenanigans: 1/3

(Run): 1/3

Lifting + dancing tonight for a friend's bday. Driving up to Maine tomorrow morning and driving back Sunday night. I'll maybe run again on Sunday morning (?) if my friend and her bf want to do a training run -- they're signed up for a Ragnar in September, so that seems likely. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, raptron said:

Um, YES.

giphy.gif

I am so very excited for the revival. I can imagine everyone getting a call from Kristen Bell and being like "oh, we get to hang out again?? score!" 

I actually haven't seen the original but I ADORE Kristen Bell - so I'll be looking it up sometime!

And remember when I was like "oh, let's see how it goes to run and do gymnastics on the same day"? Er... yesterday? When I said that? Well, I also did that yesterday. I took a 20 minute power snooze after work and then headed to the gym. Unsurprisingly, my legs were toast from squats on Tuesday, deadlifts on Wednesday, and running... the same day. BUT, my upper body was fine, which meant it was a good day to do a lot of uneven bars. I still did my usual floor warm-ups, but my hip flexors were not loving life. On bars, I managed to do a few underswing + uprise + free-hip + flyaways, which is good. I also worked toe shoots again and they were a bit better than... Monday? Or Saturday? Whichever day it was I was last working on them. I ended with 10 minutes on beam, just doing basics and jumps/leaps. 

Love how you can just casually decide to double up on workouts in a day, haha.

I definitely got another cherry slurpee after this practice too... hahaha. Post workout carbs, duh. :P 

Always necessary. I'm also a carb pusher, so I'll say carbs are good anytime hahaha.

Lifting + dancing tonight for a friend's bday.

Truly amazed how you manage to lift and then go out dancing (presumably in heels). My everything hurts just thinking about it (unless today's bench and accessories day - then it might make sense).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, raptron said:

Since the race is 7 miles in 4 weeks, I feel like I should up my mileage going forward. I'll do at least 40 minutes next time... and then I guess aim for 5 miles the following week. And maybe 6 miles the week before the race? If I wind up doing more than one training run a week, one will be shorter, but let's be honest -- that's not going to happen. 

I don't know what you're worried about, 4 weeks is plenty of time to complete 7 miles ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/19/2019 at 2:29 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

I actually haven't seen the original but I ADORE Kristen Bell - so I'll be looking it up sometime!

What, now?

Love how you can just casually decide to double up on workouts in a day, haha.

Always necessary. I'm also a carb pusher, so I'll say carbs are good anytime hahaha.

THE BEST.

Truly amazed how you manage to lift and then go out dancing (presumably in heels). My everything hurts just thinking about it (unless today's bench and accessories day - then it might make sense).

HA, no heels this time. I rarely wear heels going out in Boston unless it's a special occasion. Our slubby city's lack of style makes it easy to get away with. :P

On 7/19/2019 at 5:43 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I don't know what you're worried about, 4 weeks is plenty of time to complete 7 miles ;) 

On 7/20/2019 at 7:41 AM, KB Girl said:

You could probably already run 7 miles tomorrow if you really wanted to :P

Sorry, that's not helpful is it? :D

I don't disagree, actually, haha. 

On 7/20/2019 at 7:07 PM, sylph said:

What, now?

RIGHT? I mean, I  guess she's been in lots of other things lately, but Veronica Mars is the start of it all! 

• Like 2

Day 3.5

Lifting on Friday night: 

Squats: 4 x 5 x 235#

Bench: 4 x 4 x 135#

Close-grip bench: 4 x 6 x 120#

Lat raises: 4 x 10 x 15#

I cut out RDLs because my legs were totally toast and my hip flexors were kind of sad still from the last few days -- and I knew I was about to go out dancing. I went  home and had a very sad but healthy dinner of collard greens and canned tuna (lol) and then met my friends out for pre-dancing drinks and then dancinggg. It was a relatively low key night. My friend and I got fries after and chatted and then I headed home and passed tf out.

Day 3.6-3.7

We headed up to Maine a bit later in the day on Saturday, hoping that would mean less traffic -- but uh, it did not, haha. It still wasn't too, too bad. When we got in, it was immediately time for lake hangs. The whole weekend was swimming, jumping off the dock, rope swing dives, going out on the boat, etc. It was VERY laid back and very relaxing. And 100x cooler than being in the city because there was a nice breeze on the water and if you got too hot, you could always jump back in. I was pretty good with my sunscreen too and only got a tiny bit toasted on my shoulders despite a full day and a half out in the sun. 

My shenanigans for the week were definitely rope swing flips and dives! I did some front dives, back dives, and back flips (almost a 1 1/2, which didn't quite make it and was thoroughly smack-tastic) -- I also tried a few front flips but didn't quite get the technique down before I got tired. I only have a video of the back tuck (but my friend has some of some others):

It was very fun. :) 

Sunday morning, I did a 2.5 mile training run with my friends. Trying to slow my pace down to hang with the group + the heat made it notttt a very good run for me. I was very overheated and grumpy. My breathing was less than stellar and I was just so HOT. One of them is a big, big runner and insists I don't have to train more than a 5-mile run ahead of the race next month if I don't want to. I will keep that in mind, haha.

We drove back late on Sunday night and THAT strategy worked well to avoid traffic. I got to bed around 1 am, but also dozed off for a bit in the car, so I feel good today. 

Lifting: 7/7

Shenanigans: 2/3

(Run): 2/3

• Like 5

1 hour ago, raptron said:

HA, no heels this time. I rarely wear heels going out in Boston unless it's a special occasion. Our slubby city's lack of style makes it easy to get away with. :P

:P fair - I'm clearly biased by living in Dallas (no joke, there's a bar with "Keep Dallas Pretentious" painted on the wall - it's half tongue-in-cheek as a reference to "Keep Austin Weird" but still).

1 hour ago, raptron said:

RIGHT? I mean, I  guess she's been in lots of other things lately, but Veronica Mars is the start of it all! 

Hehe keep in mind y'all, I live under a rock with lots of pop culture.

Killer weekend, from the sound of it - and glad you're feeling good today in spite of a late night!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

:P fair - I'm clearly biased by living in Dallas (no joke, there's a bar with "Keep Dallas Pretentious" painted on the wall - it's half tongue-in-cheek as a reference to "Keep Austin Weird" but still)

You must be in North Dallas then ;) 

I must have watched that flip at least 8 times when I saw it on insta :)

Looks like a really perfect place to spend a hot day. 

20 hours ago, raptron said:

One of them is a big, big runner and insists I don't have to train more than a 5-mile run ahead of the race next month if I don't want to. I will keep that in mind, haha.

Yes, exactly!

I say this all the time to kettlebell peeps who do 9 or 10 minutes in their training before a competition, while really 7-8 is plenty for prep. And if you can do 9-10 in training with that weight then wth are you doing it in competition for? 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

:P fair - I'm clearly biased by living in Dallas (no joke, there's a bar with "Keep Dallas Pretentious" painted on the wall - it's half tongue-in-cheek as a reference to "Keep Austin Weird" but still).

HA.

22 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Killer weekend, from the sound of it - and glad you're feeling good today in spite of a late night!

Welllll...

Day 4.1

I felt great during the work day, but when time rolled around after work to head to gymnastics practice, I was tiredddd. And it was about to start thunderstorming. I took a 90 minute nap instead, did 2 loads of laundry (including the oft-overlooked folding and putting away ;) ), made dinner with leftovers for two lunches, journaled, and watched a couple of episodes of Veronica Mars. 

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d370bf959546d666f

It was a good rest day. :)

Lifting: 7/10

Shenanigans: 2/4

Writing: 6/8

Lifting tonight, tomorrow, and Friday. Gymnastics Thursday and Saturday. I'll jog... sometime. :P On the non-fitness side of things, I have a team Board meeting on Thursday after practice (so I will definitely not jog that day because there is no way I'd make it to a meeting after practice on a double workout day) and will be heading down to CT on Saturday for pool party times with a few friends. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Haha, I really enjoy hearing about different (stereotypes about) parts of the U.S.A. Knowing several, indeed from different states/areas, I always have to either correct or hold myself back on commenting when someone says Americans are X or Y. :p Sure, it's a federation = 1 country, but the states show differences just like countries on another continent. Hell, even the different "Lander" in Germany have their own quirks.

Also thoroughly enjoyed watching that swing flip :D 

23 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Haha, I really enjoy hearing about different (stereotypes about) parts of the U.S.A. Knowing several, indeed from different states/areas, I always have to either correct or hold myself back on commenting when someone says Americans are X or Y. :p Sure, it's a federation = 1 country, but the states show differences just like countries on another continent. Hell, even the different "Lander" in Germany have their own quirks.

It's a pretty big country too, so we have quite a lot of differences. :D

7 hours ago, KB Girl said:

So adult! 

I was trying very hard. ;)

Day 4.2

My right hip has been bothering me a little in squats lately, so I know something is a bit off about my form. I asked a gym pal to take a look, and he said I was losing tightness at the bottom, which is actually something I had noticed in an earlier set. I tried bracing better overall and not "relaxing" at the bottom and it did seem to help, but my hip was already annoyed at that point. I'm also still coming up a little crooked -- which I'm not sure is a symptom or a cause of the hip pain. Bodies are confusing, but my last sets felt better than my earlier ones, and not just because of the weight. :P

Squats: 5 x 250#, 2 x 5 x 240#, 5 x 230#

Bench: 4 x 5 x 135# <-- I think this might be the first time I've done so many sets of 5 at 135#. I'M ROOTING FOR YOU, BENCH.

BSS: 4 x 8 x 40# DBs

Chin-ups: 4, 3, 3, 3

DB curls: 8 x 20#, 3 x 12 x 15# <-- the jump to 20# is soooo big with these. One day, I'll be swole.

I went grocery shopping on the way home; made a "I have no plan" skillet of ground turkey, cabbage, and chickpeas with chipotle peppers (moderately good, tbh! enough acid and spice makes anything taste good) for dinner and lunches; and went back to my Veronica Mars binge. We're getting through s1 at a good clip. :D 

Lifting: 8/10

To fill out the other bits, beyond what I said in my last post, I think I'll do some writing tonight after lifting. I'll pick out a shenanigan for practice on Thursday. And I think... I'll try running on Friday at lunch. That lifting workout is lighter squats and paused bench, so it should be ok to lift later in the day. 

• Like 5

On 7/19/2019 at 10:04 AM, raptron said:

at least it wasn't strawberry ;) 

• Haha 1

Day 4.3

Between my deadlifts and my accessories yesterday, a new woman joined the gym and one of the owners directed her to me. She was just the sweetest and most enthusiastic-- super excited to start out strength training. I explained the gym, the equipment set-up, the basics of a beginner lifting program, and showed her the main lifts and watched her sets. It was great. I just love when people (especially women) are excited about this kind of thing! It meant my workout was quite a bit delayed, but I don't really care. :D 

Deadlift: 4 x 290# (was supposed to be 5, but I didn't reset properly on the last rep), 2 x 290#, 2 x 5 x 275#, 5 x 265#

DB OHP: 4 x 6 x 35#s

Slider hamstring curls: 4 x 8 

Hypers: 4 x 20 x 55#

Lat raises: 3 x 8 x 15#

Ate leftovers for dinner and didn't actually make time to write becauseeee I jumped back in my VM binge. I finished S1 so my fervor will probably die down quite a bit. :P

I've been staying up an extra 30 minutes to an hour lately, which I didn't think would be much-- and it was was what I was doing when I was sick/not working out as much-- but clearly IS impacting me now that I am doing real volume and intensity. It's too late for this week (meeting tonight, weekend starts tomorrow~!), but next week I'll be trying to get ready for bed  before 11pm again. 

Lifting: 9/10

• Like 7