• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Raxie

Raxie Thinks She Can Dance

After a bit of a break on the forums I'm going to dive back in here! I miss you all bunches and Tank Facebook shamed pinged me which is always effective :P.  But really in all honesty this is my happy place, I have just been putting off coming back here because I've been stuck being sad about my cat getting lung cancer and slowly dying over the past few months - which sounds really awful I know but honestly, he passed last week, and I am SO FULL OF RELIEF.  I'm so glad he's not in pain any more and also I'm so glad I'm not tied down and constantly worried I'm going to come home to find him dead? I think it's been really weighing on me heavily more than I realized the past few months and is part of why I bailed here. But enough of the sad things.

source.gif

Onto good things!  The last challenge I was in here I was prepping for my first "intramural" ballroom dance competition in March.  So I did the thing! I competed in 6 dances - american foxtrot, american waltz, international viennese waltz, int. cha cha, int. jive, and int. rumba.  It was a team match so I didn't really get any direct judgement, which was a low-key, little-to-no-pressure way to dip my toe into the ballroom comp scene and I had such a blast! So I decided to just go for it and sign up to do a real competition in August (Empire Dance Championships)! I'm NERVOUS AS ALL HECK YOU GUYS.  Like, I've never gotten any big nerves for dance stuff except occasionally right before going on but this things like over a month away and I'm already bugging out?! AHHH.  And I'm going all out - I stoned my shoes, got a new dress that I'll be stoning as well, and am doing 2 lessons a week to prep. 

Interestingly, after a lot of professing my intense love for smooth/ballroom... I'll be competing in just latin dances (cha cha, samba, rumba, and jive).  This is mostly due to me falling head over heels in love with jive, andddd also my studio being primarily a latin studio and pretty much giving into peer pressure haha. Also we decided to compete a Kesha medley showcase that we performed for our studio's yearly spring show in April as well which is scary as heck too because wayyyy more eyes on you.  And we're also working on a Singing in the Rain medley showcase for a thing our studio's doing in September. So yeah... so much dancing for me! Loving every second of it. XD. But yeah, only 12 lessons left until the comp which sounds like a decent amount but also does not seem like enough.

Other things I have going on - SO. MUCH. D&D.  I'm not sure how this happened but I'm currently DMing 2 games and playing in 1 (maybe 2 but I'm not really counting it because it's so infrequent/not sure the group is going to be able to keep getting together). So that's fun and nerdy and a lot of work too haha. I'm running Lost Mines of Phandelver and Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, playing a bard in Dungeon of the Mad Mage, and playing a monk in a DM created original campaign (all 5e) for those interested. I'm mildly obsessed with my bard I love her so, she plays the drums and is also kind of tanky.

I'm also on the steering committee for the Human Rights Campaign's Greater NY chapter.  We are smack dab in the middle of pride season so it's like BUSY AS HECK right now. And after that I have a big project I'm trying to get going in NJ too so honestly never a dull moment there.

Oh! And also my family started a book club! We are reading 1984 right now and will be moving onto Cat's Cradle in early July.

...and I'm still lifting.

So uh, yeah lots going on with me since I last forumed. Wow seeing it all down there is kind of nuts but I love it.

So what even to do for this challenge?!?!?! I recently started subscribing to a monthly journaling thing where it's basically a pre-organized bullet journal and GUYS IT'S MADE SUCH A DIFFERENCE IN MY LIFE.  I don't think I'd be able to get anything done if it weren't for this thing. So I'm thinking for this challenge I will involve that somehow. I'll be thinking on my goals for right now and post them before zero week is out all I know is it'll be themed around my favourite show So You Think You Can Dance which just returned for its new season a few weeks ago - but for now YAY I'M SO HAPPY TO BE BACK!!!

giphy.gif

• Like 10

Goal 1: No drinking for the entire month of July!

I am in SERIOUS need of a detox after my friend visited for 5 days for his birthday and World Pride. I usually do this for one month earlier in the year but this year it kind of got away from me.  Aside from the 4th, I don't think this should be too difficult for me.

Goal 2: Post pictures of my food. Every. Darn. Day.

I need food accountability, and monitoring the quality level of it is really what works for me best. Plus I'm a sucker for a good collage.

Goal 3: Use my bullet journal every day.

I don't have to complete all of my tasks for this to be considered a success -- I just need to actually track what I am and am not doing every day. Post pictures of the week at the beginning and end of each week of my weekly spread!

Goal 4: Share more of my dancing

I am not very good at posting videos of me dancing because I am SO SELF CONSCIOUS and I'm still such a newb.  But I want to share at least one video a week to get more comfortable with seeing myself, the good and the bad, since I think it'll help me shake some anxiety for the upcoming comp. It doesn't necessarily have to even be from that week.

• Like 1

SHE'S BAAAACK!!!! So excited to follow along for all the dancing stuff - nothing like starting off with Empire for your first comp, haha. I'm sure you'll do great!! Are you planning on doing the camp beforehand too? I did that 2-ish years ago and it was v cool (I looked next to me in a paso workshop and FREAKING TROELS AND INA WERE RIGHT THERE! -so it's good for dance celebrity spotting too).

Glad to not be the only one whose life looks psycho when it's all written down on paper. :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raxie said:

Other things I have going on - SO. MUCH. D&D.  I'm not sure how this happened but I'm currently DMing 2 games and playing in 1 (maybe 2 but I'm not really counting it because it's so infrequent/not sure the group is going to be able to keep getting together). So that's fun and nerdy and a lot of work too haha. I'm running Lost Mines of Phandelver and Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, playing a bard in Dungeon of the Mad Mage, and playing a monk in a DM created original campaign (all 5e) for those interested. I'm mildly obsessed with my bard I love her so, she plays the drums and is also kind of tanky.

OMG, As if I had any doubt that I could always find ways and reasons to love you more.  <3

Marry me.

Also, since I am trying to get back my drawing habit, give me some references and descs of your character and I'll draw her for you! :D   DM'ing too?  HELLS yeah!   So, ya know - I play in 2 games and DM a 3rd, so we're totally D&DTwins now.

So yay you're we're back here!

• Haha 1

Welcome back Raxie. I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty. Sending hugs your way. 

That's so exciting about the dance competition! I can't wait to hear all about it

On 6/25/2019 at 4:24 PM, DJtrippyT said:

Fortunately I had the appropriate gif close at hand... :-)

75A4F887-D4D2-4A04-A60E-36897F0AFFC2.gif

Hahah I love this!!

On 6/25/2019 at 4:41 PM, Cheetah said:

Welcome back!

Thanks! Glad to be back :)

On 6/25/2019 at 4:52 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

SHE'S BAAAACK!!!! So excited to follow along for all the dancing stuff - nothing like starting off with Empire for your first comp, haha. I'm sure you'll do great!! Are you planning on doing the camp beforehand too? I did that 2-ish years ago and it was v cool (I looked next to me in a paso workshop and FREAKING TROELS AND INA WERE RIGHT THERE! -so it's good for dance celebrity spotting too).

Glad to not be the only one whose life looks psycho when it's all written down on paper. :D 

Yeahhhh I'm pretty nervous about Empire being my first one.  It just happened to work out with the timing that way that if I wanted to start competing with x amount of time to prepare then that would be the one we did.  I'm honestly still a little unsure about doing a showcase there because I feel like doing that at such a big show is like not "dipping your toe in the water" for a first comp XD But whatever, my teachers want me to get my face out there so I guess I just have to suck up the nerves and do it. I'm not going to the camp this time around, no, but am definitely considering it next year when I'm better! I'm definitely going to go to go see the pro show though.

Hahah hooray for living psychotic lives! :P

On 6/25/2019 at 5:43 PM, Elastigirl said:

Glad to see you back! Sorry about your kitty.

Thanks on both counts!

On 6/25/2019 at 5:44 PM, Starpuck said:

OMG, As if I had any doubt that I could always find ways and reasons to love you more.  <3

Marry me.

Also, since I am trying to get back my drawing habit, give me some references and descs of your character and I'll draw her for you! :D   DM'ing too?  HELLS yeah!   So, ya know - I play in 2 games and DM a 3rd, so we're totally D&DTwins now.

So yay you're we're back here!

source.gif

Awwwwww <3 <3 <3 <3

Omg yes D&D twinsssss!!! I can't believe I am now DMing 2 games honestly - I'm like wow is this real life?! It's SO FUN THOUGH! I was afraid I wouldn't like it as much as playing but I think I might like it better?!

My bard lady is a human, her name is Valerie and she's loosely based on the drummer from Josie and the Pussy Cats (Melody):

josie-1970-nemo-52-melody-drums.jpg?w=84

and carries mini drum line quad drums around her waist. She went the school of valor route, so she also carries a shield and has got combat boots and light armor, but it's leopard print to maintain the Jose and the Pussycats asthetic :) She's also got a rapier and a hand crossbow strapped to her back.

Do you DM your own campaign or do you use a pre-made one?

On 6/25/2019 at 5:50 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Glad to see you here!

You're not the first person to feel relief when a loved one dies after an extended illness. It's a perfectly normal and natural reaction.

I'll be following of course.

Thanks, Tank.  That does make a lot of sense, I appreciate the insight greatly :)

On 6/26/2019 at 12:27 AM, darkfoxx said:

*cheering and waving from the cheap seats*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YAY HAI LADY!

On 6/26/2019 at 11:08 AM, Charlie_Quinn said:

Welcome back Raxie. I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty. Sending hugs your way. 

That's so exciting about the dance competition! I can't wait to hear all about it

Thank you :)

AH I'M SO EXCITED TO DO IT! AND REPORT BACK ALL THE THINGS! AND NERVOUS AS HECK!

3 hours ago, Terra said:

Me reading about all the stuff you have going on right now...

giphy.gif

Following!

Where did you find that actual video of me dealing with my life?!

• Like 4

source.gif

^current mood headed into the weekend, which starts today for me

Man this week is so crazy -- I have a CNF/Nerdcation nerd staying with me this week (Travis for those of you who know him) and we are doing ALL THE THINGS.  Today's actually his birthday! So I kind of already planned on not being able to get anything serious accomplished this week, and also fully planned on eating garbage.  So I'm glad it's zero week, and next week for the challenge I'm definitely going to need a bit of a detox and also start really eating better so I don't feel awful at the competition, since I've noticed that eating trash is the #1 thing that ends up messing with my stamina more than anything else.

So far this week Monday I ran a D&D session, Tuesday and yesterday I had dance lessons and worked samba.  I thought it was my worst dance but now I'm being told it's my best dance so I don't even know what I'm good at anymore ::shrug:: haha. I did think I didn't look that bad watching the video of myself which rarely happens so I guess maybe my teacher isn't wrong. I am really happy with our routine , it's the lowest level (bronze) but it still has some cool stuff/combinations in it that keep it fun.

Then last night I went to world pride opening ceremonies which was SO FUN.  Whoopie Goldberg hosted and was HILARIOUS and lovely and amazing, Ciara, Todrick Hall, Cindy Lauper, and Chaka Kahn performed among others, and it was just a really great way to kick off what will be a crazy weekend.  Tonight we are going out for birthday celebrations, and tomorrow we are going to Coney island and a comedy show. Saturday we are going to a broadway show, doing a history bar crawl, and then doing karaoke.  And Sunday I'm working the HRC booth most of the day at Pride and then going out dancing.  Basically I won't be doing anything good for me again until Monday XD. Hopefully I'll sleep at some point.

I thought about my goals for the challenge and I'm still not 100% on them - I honestly might just  make it like, use my bullet journal every day and post a picture here of my completed (or not) to-do list, and maybe also start posting food pictures again? Because nothing motivates me to eat well like having to post pictures.

Hope everyone's Thursday is going swimmingly!

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Raxie said:

Basically I won't be doing anything good for me again until Monday

Lets fix this, OK?    Look at all of that movement you are doing!  I see lots of walking and dancing.  I see you spending the day on your feet the the HRC booth. I see lots of healthy and amazing time spent with friends and/or volunteering, which is amazing for our mental health.  I see lots of laughter too.  Don't go too crazy with the food and beverage choices and I think that sounds like a lovely weekend!  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Raxie said:

Man this week is so crazy -- I have a CNF/Nerdcation nerd staying with me this week (Travis for those of you who know him) and we are doing ALL THE THINGS.  Today's actually his birthday! So I kind of already planned on not being able to get anything serious accomplished this week, and also fully planned on eating garbage.  So I'm glad it's zero week, and next week for the challenge I'm definitely going to need a bit of a detox and also start really eating better so I don't feel awful at the competition, since I've noticed that eating trash is the #1 thing that ends up messing with my stamina more than anything else.

This wouldn't be the ballroom dancing nerd from CNF, would it? I feel like someone mentioned him to me in passing but I don't remember the name.

24 minutes ago, Raxie said:

Tuesday and yesterday I had dance lessons and worked samba.  I thought it was my worst dance but now I'm being told it's my best dance so I don't even know what I'm good at anymore ::shrug:: haha. I did think I didn't look that bad watching the video of myself which rarely happens so I guess maybe my teacher isn't wrong. I am really happy with our routine , it's the lowest level (bronze) but it still has some cool stuff/combinations in it that keep it fun.

DUDE this happens to me all the time! Whatever one feels the messiest is always what my partner and I are told is our strongest dance. Without fail.

And yay bronze! It can feel and look super bad*** with the right flow - especially samba, soooooo many fun variations!

And of course, YAY PRIDE!!!

giphy.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raxie said:

and carries mini drum line quad drums around her waist. She went the school of valor route, so she also carries a shield and has got combat boots and light armor, but it's leopard print to maintain the Jose and the Pussycats asthetic :) She's also got a rapier and a hand crossbow strapped to her back.

Whoa! Val sounds like a super badass! I can't wait to see what Starpuck comes up with for a drawing :D

I would love to get into some sort of D&D group. I've been telling Heather that for years now....years? Wow, it really has been years, lol. I need to make something happen. I really don't know a lot of people near me that play, so I may have to use my Linked In account and post a "Looking For D&D group" haha!

I'm glad you're back, though!! No challenge would be complete without Raxie around. True statement. There's a reason you were shamed pinged by Tank ;) 

P.S. Sorry to hear about your kitty :(. He looked like a sweet boy. 

Wolf

On 6/27/2019 at 3:28 PM, Terra said:

Lets fix this, OK?    Look at all of that movement you are doing!  I see lots of walking and dancing.  I see you spending the day on your feet the the HRC booth. I see lots of healthy and amazing time spent with friends and/or volunteering, which is amazing for our mental health.  I see lots of laughter too.  Don't go too crazy with the food and beverage choices and I think that sounds like a lovely weekend!  

Aw thanks, Terra.  I was mostly being sarcastic but even so I really did feel like it would be a slacky kind of weekend, and you're right I did do so much stuff! And what's the point of trying to hard all the time if I don't enjoy my life from time to time and let loose? Hahah <3

On 6/27/2019 at 3:42 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

This wouldn't be the ballroom dancing nerd from CNF, would it? I feel like someone mentioned him to me in passing but I don't remember the name.

No that's Tyler! Another T though so close enough haha. He's actually the DM of one of the D&D games I'm in (Tyler, not Travis).  He competes in rhythm last I checked.

DUDE this happens to me all the time! Whatever one feels the messiest is always what my partner and I are told is our strongest dance. Without fail.

It's funny to me too because I feel like all the ladies who compete pro-am at my studio are like a round robin of what our favourite dances are vs what we are best at.  My favourite is jive but apparently I'm best at samba.  One person's favourite is rumba but is best at jive. And the other person's favourite is samba but is best at rumba hahah.

And yay bronze! It can feel and look super bad*** with the right flow - especially samba, soooooo many fun variations!

Haha yeah I got super excited when I found out shadow botafogos and one type of turn out of frame were bronze - I had no idea there was some actual cool stuff in there (I've been a little disappointed with the simplicity of the rumba bronze syllabus tbh haha)

And of course, YAY PRIDE!!!

giphy.gif

Yayyyyyy :) I'm honestly still so tuckered out emotionally and physically from the weekend, but it was well worth it.

WellmadeSecondhandIriomotecat-max-1mb.gi

On 6/27/2019 at 5:23 PM, SheriffWolfpool said:

Whoa! Val sounds like a super badass! I can't wait to see what Starpuck comes up with for a drawing :D

Sameeeee!!!!

I would love to get into some sort of D&D group. I've been telling Heather that for years now....years? Wow, it really has been years, lol. I need to make something happen. I really don't know a lot of people near me that play, so I may have to use my Linked In account and post a "Looking For D&D group" haha!

Yes! You should totally check out local resources, and also online ones.  Roll20 is how I'm DMing one of my campaigns with my family and it's working great so far, it's all online through a skype-type interface.

I'm glad you're back, though!! No challenge would be complete without Raxie around. True statement. There's a reason you were shamed pinged by Tank ;) 

Thanks!! I'm super glad to be here :) Love my nerds.

P.S. Sorry to hear about your kitty :(. He looked like a sweet boy.

Thanks, Wolf.  He was.  I have had quite a few cats over the years but he was like my soul-mate-pet - he was just super special and everyone who met him loved him so much. So I really appreciate that.

• Like 3

On 6/27/2019 at 1:50 PM, Raxie said:

Do you DM your own campaign or do you use a pre-made one?

I do!    I've been DM'ing this world/story for over 2 years now.   I am pretty floored that my first attempt at DM'ing has lasted so long and well, but part of that is because we play every 2-3 weeks.  It's not weekly on this game.   Schedule conflicts are hard.   :)      I love it too!  Though I am constantly worried I'm not doing it well enough.   Ranger-perfectionism at it's finest right there.

On 6/27/2019 at 2:15 PM, Raxie said:

I honestly might just  make it like, use my bullet journal every day and post a picture here of my completed (or not) to-do list, and maybe also start posting food pictures again?

I love this idea, and gosh, I might have to follow suit.    I want to keep up here, but I've not been great about it lately.   And busy summers are so hard to wrangle into that!

On 6/27/2019 at 4:23 PM, SheriffWolfpool said:

I would love to get into some sort of D&D group.

Ya know, I know someone that DM'd a D&D game over Discord with a bunch of NF people.    It was just a one shot, because I wanted to be there for  @jarric first actual D&D game.  LOL  And while over the internet is not nearly as awesome as in person, it's better than nothing!    Jussss' saying!  >.>    And here we've got, on the top of my head, FOUR Rangers that have DM experience right now. 

Sounds like a great weekend Raxie!     Hope week one is starting off solid for ya.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Starpuck said:

Ya know, I know someone that DM'd a D&D game over Discord with a bunch of NF people.    It was just a one shot, because I wanted to be there for  @jarric first actual D&D game.  LOL  And while over the internet is not nearly as awesome as in person, it's better than nothing!    Jussss' saying!  >.>    And here we've got, on the top of my head, FOUR Rangers that have DM experience right now.  

Uhmmm if you're suggesting an internety NF Forum folk one shot I would be SO IN!!!! I know there was one a bit ago that I wasn't actually able to make but if it happened again I'd make it a huge priority to get in on it. 

giphy.gif

Rolling into the long weekend like...

Wowwwwzerrrr you guys.  I just had the most amazing past couple days. Travis my CNF friend left to go back to Texas on Monday, and I literally spent all of yesterday emotionally and physically recovering from the wild ride that his visit was. We did so much touristing and eating and drinking and birthday celebrating and pride-ing.  My wallet and my waist line are like SOS SEND HELP but it was so well worth it. World Pride probably won't be back in NYC any time soon and it will never again land on the 50th anniversary of Stonewall and friends rarely come visit me specifically for their birthdays from afar so my savings account is just going to have to suck it up.  And my flash 6lb gain will drop off quickly once I get back in line.  Today is essentially the first day of the challenge for me since yesterday was a designated non-responsibility/recovery/anti-social day, and Monday Travis was still in town so I knew I wasn't going to be doing anything challenge related. So here I am! Happy challenge day to me :D I finally figured out my goals:

On 6/25/2019 at 4:02 PM, Raxie said:

Goal 1: No drinking for the entire month of July!

I am in SERIOUS need of a detox after my friend visited for 5 days for his birthday and World Pride. I usually do this for one month earlier in the year but this year it kind of got away from me.  Aside from the 4th, I don't think this should be too difficult for me.

Goal 2: Post pictures of my food. Every. Darn. Day.

I need food accountability, and monitoring the quality level of it is really what works for me best. Plus I'm a sucker for a good collage.

Goal 3: Use my bullet journal every day.

I don't have to complete all of my tasks for this to be considered a success -- I just need to actually track what I am and am not doing every day. Post pictures of the week at the beginning and end of each week of my weekly spread!

Goal 4: Share more of my dancing

I am not very good at posting videos of me dancing because I am SO SELF CONSCIOUS and I'm still such a newb.  But I want to share at least one video a week to get more comfortable with seeing myself, the good and the bad, since I think it'll help me shake some anxiety for the upcoming comp. It doesn't necessarily have to even be from that week.

So I'll be doing a post later with a photo of my food, my bullet journal, and a video of some dancing from a few weeks ago!

Tonight after work I have a dance lesson, and then am going out to celebrate two of my friends birthdays in the city at a cabaret show.  I'm so excited! I have Friday off so in a few hours I'm DONE FOR THE WEEEEEEK WOOOOT!

• Like 6

Here's my bullet journal spread for the week:

33432caf4a46b17f5876269fded4cea2.jpg

If you can't read it very well here's essentially what it is:

Recurring Daily tasks:

• Do dishes
  • Spend 2 minutes before bed putting anything left out back and throwing out any garbage
  • Make the bed every morning
  • Scoop cat litter
  • Wipe down bathroom sink
  • Load of laundry if needed
  • 10 minutes tackling a decluttering project, a running list of which I have earlier in the bullet journal.
  • ROMWOD (basically yin yoga)
  • Meditation

Recurring Weekly Tasks:

• Lift 2x/week (this week I can fit in it Thursday and Saturday)
  • Get on NF 3x/week (this week I've got today, Friday and Saturday scheduled for ya'll)
  • Read 2x/week (not specifically scheduled but is tracked on a prior page)
  • Colour 1x/week (not specifically scheduled but is tracked on a prior page)

Major To-Do's For the Week:

• Reboot my budget post-friend visit (done)
  • Make a doctor's appointment
  • Bring my dance competition dress to the tailor
  • Scrub/soak/de-funk litter boxes
  • Send out D&D homework list to new players (ie choosing backgrounds, leveling instructions, etc)
  • Send HRC NJ newsletter for July (summary of everything we did in June and updates on what we're doing in July and what we need volunteers for)
  • Make sure all laundry piles get de-piled & put away

Schedule for the Week:

• Tuesday: Latin Jazz Class, Silver/Gold Samba Technique Class (done & done)
  • Wednesday: Private Dance Lesson, Cabaret Show w/Birthday Friends
  • Thursday: Family book club
  • Friday: Modern Dance Class, Private Dance Lesson
  • Saturday: Jive Technique Class
  • Sunday: Smooth Team Rehearsal, Viennese Waltz Technique class, Rumba Open Gold Technique & Styling Class

This journal also has a cute little water tracker at the bottom of each day that I'm going to try to start using, but we'll see. Also it's kind of funny because this seems totally nuts when I write it down, but this is honestly kind of a calm week for me XD

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Raxie said:

seems totally nuts when I write it down

I make daily lists, and I'm often surprised at what I'm able to get done.  Looking back on all of the x's is fun.  :-)

On 7/3/2019 at 6:46 PM, Cheetah said:

I make daily lists, and I'm often surprised at what I'm able to get done.  Looking back on all of the x's is fun.  :-)

All the x's are fun! Also I swear I'd never get anything done if I didn't have it written out in front of me haha

All the x's are fun! Also I swear I'd never get anything done if I didn't have it written out in front of me haha

This is exactly why I use a bulletproof journal too! It is soooo satisfying to look back at everything.

3 hours ago, AmayaDances said:

This is exactly why I use a bulletproof journal too! It is soooo satisfying to look back at everything.

Yes! It really is like a way of journaling too, like I can look back and see what I did/what my schedule was! I love it so much.