• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Raxie

Raxie Thinks She Can Dance

Oooh that dessert and wine pairing looks excellent!!

And woo for making visible progress on dancing - always great to see how much you've grown, I'm kinda excited for the same with upcoming dance competitions!

Man I cannot come to a Raxie thread without instantly feeling super motivated.    I mean, I know we share a lot of feelz on a lot of things, and your organization methods always make me squee.   But sheez, now your food pics and dance videos.   It's so exciting and lovely to witness!

Busy as always, but man you thrive with that.   Keep up the work with inspiring me!

I just ordered a new pre-formatted bullet journal from Amazon.   That was totally thanks to you and your one you shared... I opted for a one and done purchase for now,  just to see if I get back into the habit.    Right now, doing my own layout was more work than I felt the time for... but I definitely want to organize and track.   Woosh.

• Like 2

Oooh that dessert and wine pairing looks excellent!!

And woo for making visible progress on dancing - always great to see how much you've grown, I'm kinda excited for the same with upcoming dance competitions!

It was AMAZING! I very rarely get dessert but when I do I always like to make it a nice pairing with some port because why not? Go big or go home.

Indeed! When is your next comp?

Man I cannot come to a Raxie thread without instantly feeling super motivated.    I mean, I know we share a lot of feelz on a lot of things, and your organization methods always make me squee.   But sheez, now your food pics and dance videos.   It's so exciting and lovely to witness!

Busy as always, but man you thrive with that.   Keep up the work with inspiring me!

I just ordered a new pre-formatted bullet journal from Amazon.   That was totally thanks to you and your one you shared... I opted for a one and done purchase for now,  just to see if I get back into the habit.    Right now, doing my own layout was more work than I felt the time for... but I definitely want to organize and track.   Woosh.

Awww you say that and then I kind go blah this last week with not doing stuff XD

Oooh I hope it's working for you! Doing my own layout was definitely  hindering me, and most of the ones I tried initially were not in formats I wanted so finding one prefilled out one that was in a format I was looking for was like hitting the lotto.

• Like 2

IdealRepentantBrant-size_restricted.gif

Paso inspirationnnn. I can't wait to start learning this style of dance after this comp.

Hm OK so this last week was a bit of a whirl wind.  I dropped the ball on food collages hardcore, mostly because I was so busy I was more concerned with finding time to eat than I was with anything else.  I did and OK job staying healthyish but I definitely could have done way better.  It's OK though.  Better than not eating anything at all methinks.

I had an AWESOME DM session Monday, it was the first time this group really got to go out and explore the city we are in and really get into the plot of the campaign and it was so fun! I really can't wait to keep going with this group.  They are so different from the other group I'm DMing it's cool - these guys are way more into the minutia, like they want to go shopping all the time and open a business and do lots of RPing.  My other group is like WE WANT TO FIGHT RAHHH.  I love both of the dynamics honestly and it's really stretching my DM abilities in a lot of directions so yay!

One of my new dance teachers has been kicking my buttttttt, we did some conditioning drills on Friday and I was literally sore until Monday? And then on Sunday we did a jive kick series over and over again without stopping until my legs almost felt like they were going to give out, she's so freakin intense and I am absolutely loving it.  Last night I had classes and a lesson with my other teachers, but still got my butt handed to me because I was so tired. We did rumba solo choreo, samba technique, and then I had a lesson where we worked everything. I'm actually at the point where I'm starting to feel marginally like I have my shit together enough to compete and not like I'm totally nuts for doing this, and I still have 3 more lessons left before the comp! Yay!

This week I'm sharing me running my samba routine from a few weeks ago and I'm actually bummed I didn't record it from running it last night because I'm already doing a lot of it differently/better (particularly the arm styling and some of the hip action). I'm hoping to record all my routines tomorrow so I'll have lots of videos ripe for the picking next week, but until then:

• Like 8

You make me want to dance!   I got rhythm... but no hip movement!  LOL  I am stiff as a socially awkward board at a pirate plank party!  ;)     Great stuff though!    Your DM story makes me want to go work on stuff right now!  So exciting.     Gosh you are one of my favorite people hehe.

• Like 3

You have inspired me to look up ballroom dance classes near us. I took ballroom dance as a PE course during undergrad, and my wife and I took a salsa class right after we got married (almost 25 years ago)

Here's hoping I can convince her to dance with me again!

On 7/24/2019 at 2:53 PM, Elastigirl said:

Loved the comparative dance videos! Really fun to see how much progress you've made.

Thank you!! It's really satisfying to see, especially on days where I feel like I'm not doing so great haha.

On 7/24/2019 at 3:59 PM, Starpuck said:

You make me want to dance!   I got rhythm... but no hip movement!  LOL  I am stiff as a socially awkward board at a pirate plank party!  ;)     Great stuff though!    Your DM story makes me want to go work on stuff right now!  So exciting.     Gosh you are one of my favorite people hehe.

Lmao 'puck! I'm sure that's not true XD Don't you kill it at Just Dance? That takes some serious skill honestly.

Awww <3 <3 Right back at you!!

2 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

You have inspired me to look up ballroom dance classes near us. I took ballroom dance as a PE course during undergrad, and my wife and I took a salsa class right after we got married (almost 25 years ago)

Here's hoping I can convince her to dance with me again!

OMG YES!!! It is so fun!! It's a great thing to do together as a couple too (as long as you don't get too serious about it haha)

I see DND, I see TARDIS and I see dancing; a combo to Wahoo over.. I am instantly following your challenge. Omgomgomg, I've recently started playing dnd and it's the best thing everrrrrr but sadly both of my games are slow as heck which i am pretty sad about D: HOPING TO LEARN A  LOT FROM YOU<3 [I really love dnd, can you tell?]

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hansjay said:

I see DND, I see TARDIS and I see dancing; a combo to Wahoo over.. I am instantly following your challenge. Omgomgomg, I've recently started playing dnd and it's the best thing everrrrrr but sadly both of my games are slow as heck which i am pretty sad about D: HOPING TO LEARN A  LOT FROM YOU<3 [I really love dnd, can you tell?]

Omg yay hi!!  D&D is SO FUN!!! Clearly as someone who is in 4 games I also really love it hahah. My one game that I'm in is quite slow too, but the 2 that I'm DMing and the other one I'm playing in meets really regularly and is moving along pretty nicely I love it!! I am thinking about starting to post some plot recaps from some of our games in the next challenge :)

On 7/24/2019 at 1:53 PM, Raxie said:

I'm actually at the point where I'm starting to feel marginally like I have my shit together enough to compete and not like I'm totally nuts for doing this, and I still have 3 more lessons left before the comp! Yay!

I'm so glad you've caught up to how we all feel about your skillz as a dancer :D. You're not totally nuts, not even by a long shot. You've been putting in the time and staying on the grind of getting better each day. You look to hone your skills as a complete dancer, gaining endurance and strength like you've never had before. And you do all this with an open mind, accepting whatever is thrown your way. Keep it up, Raxie! You're kickin so much booty!

Wolf

source.gif

Ahhh I can't believe this week is over.  Only one more week left until my comp!!! I am kind of freaking outtttt!!! Tonight I need to run out to the garment district and get more rhinestones for my dress. Then I still need to pick up my dress from the tailor tomorrow, and finish stoning my dress.  And I need to schedule my mani/pedi, spray tan and hair cut appointments.  Legit I'm doing more for this than I did for my freakin' wedding XD lmao.  And I'm also being extra nit picky with my dancing and getting panicky about particular moves (literally my teacher wanted to run my dances last night a few times and instead I was like NO MY VOLTAS ARE GARBAGE LET'S DO JUST THEM FOR AN HOUR XD - we ended up only doing them for 20 minutes but still haha).  It's weird because my entire life with dancing I've never been nervous about a performance or anything at all (not in ballet or jazz from 3-17 years old, and not even starting off new last year with ballroom with all the performances I've done) so now that I actually am a little nervous it's kinda like I don't know how to handle myself.  But it's also so darn excited and I'm really looking forward to it, so squeeee.

ANYWAY. In other news. Tonight I'm going to meet my sister for dinner, I haven't seen her in over a week which is kind of a long time for us so I'm looking forward to that.  My eating has been pretty A+ this week, but we are going to get empanadas at one of my favourite places ever, so I'm not sure that's going to be maintained tonight.  I just can't say no to pizza empanadas (or paella empanadas or buffalo empanadas or spanakopita empanadas or to obviously also classic empanadas).  Can't wait.  Nom nom nom.

Happy Friday!

• Like 7

Lean into this new found nervousness. How does it feel physically? When does the nervousness manifest? I think being curious about it can give you some power over it, and it can be a great motivator if you let it do that for you.

I'll be disappointed if we don't get an empanada picture we can all drool over :drool:

13 hours ago, Raxie said:

Omg yay hi!!  D&D is SO FUN!!! Clearly as someone who is in 4 games I also really love it hahah. My one game that I'm in is quite slow too, but the 2 that I'm DMing and the other one I'm playing in meets really regularly and is moving along pretty nicely I love it!! I am thinking about starting to post some plot recaps from some of our games in the next challenge :)

Omg! Please dooooo! It'll be fun and if you need a player holler me up!

AHHHH GOOD LUCK THIS COMING WEEKEND!!!! YOU ARE GOING TO SLAY!

...and I'm choosing to interpret nervousness as a sign that you really care about kicking butt and that you'll do great!

Also, hope you had a blast with your sis - love that empanada place, assuming it's the same one I'm thinking of. :D 

On 7/26/2019 at 8:32 AM, SheriffWolfpool said:

I'm so glad you've caught up to how we all feel about your skillz as a dancer :D. You're not totally nuts, not even by a long shot. You've been putting in the time and staying on the grind of getting better each day. You look to hone your skills as a complete dancer, gaining endurance and strength like you've never had before. And you do all this with an open mind, accepting whatever is thrown your way. Keep it up, Raxie! You're kickin so much booty!

Thanks, Wolf :) It's hard sometimes because of how unbelievably good my teachers are to feel like I am any good since I'm dancing with/next to them haha. 

On 7/26/2019 at 4:21 PM, GoodDoug said:

Lean into this new found nervousness. How does it feel physically? When does the nervousness manifest? I think being curious about it can give you some power over it, and it can be a great motivator if you let it do that for you.

I'll be disappointed if we don't get an empanada picture we can all drool over :drool:

Oh I am honestly enjoying the nervousness, it's what I like to call "nervoucited" (I believe I actually stole this from a fellow Ranger some years ago but I can't remember who any more), it's basically some crazy combination of nervous and excited. It's just strange because I've never felt this way before about dance so I don't know how to feel about the feelings? If that makes sense. Usually I'm just excited.

I did not get pictures of the empanadas unfortunately, but honestly I go to that restaurant all the time so I'll definitely do it next time and share!

On 7/26/2019 at 9:51 PM, Hansjay said:

Omg! Please dooooo! It'll be fun and if you need a player holler me up!

I'll make it a thing in my next challenge to post some fun stories from my adventures! :)

19 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

AHHHH GOOD LUCK THIS COMING WEEKEND!!!! YOU ARE GOING TO SLAY!

...and I'm choosing to interpret nervousness as a sign that you really care about kicking butt and that you'll do great!

Also, hope you had a blast with your sis - love that empanada place, assuming it's the same one I'm thinking of. :D 

AHHHH THANK YOUUUU!!!

Yeah I've never competed in dance before which definitely why I'm freaking out.  I've always felt like dance is super personal to me and putting myself out there to be like... judged on it in a kind of sports like way is just such a foreign feeling. Even though in ballet you're basically constantly judged by your peers and your teachers and competing for solos etc, it's not quite the same.

It definitely is the one you're thinking of! Probably one of my favourite spots in the city hahah.  We had a blast, thanks!

17 hours ago, Big_Show said:

Woohoo!  Raxie's back!  And with an awesome challenge too!

YAY BIG SHOW IS HEREEEEEE <3 LET THE BAD INFLUENCING BEGIN!

• Like 1

source.gif

Challenge wrap up time!

I honestly kind of lost track of my goals halfway through this challenge and just kind of living my life and sharing my exploits here, which were all good but let's see how I actually did on what I technically wanted to do:

Goal 1: No drinking for the entire month of July!

Did not succeed at this at all - I've done a dry January every year for the past 4+ years I can't remember exactly, but missed this year and have been trying to find a good month to do it since.  July did not seem to work out because I forgot 2 of my best friends birthdays were this month, however I did succeed in drinking SIGNIFICANTLY less (like soooooo much less - no more single beers with dinner for no real reason etc) so I'm going to call this a win anyway.

Goal 2: Post pictures of my food. Every. Darn. Day.

I kept this up for like half the challenge, so, yay.  Next challenge I think I might do a food journal a la Wolfie.

Goal 3: Use my bullet journal every day.

This I did do, but I didn't post my spreads which I'm now sad about because they are so pretty! Next challenge I'll do better at this.

Goal 4: Share more of my dancing

This I 100%ed no doubt about it.  I'm so glad I started that instagram account so I can track my progress more easily and not fill up my regular instagram with videos I'm not feeling super confident about.

All in all I think I did pretty good.  I might not have done exactly what I set out to do but the spirit of the challenge was met (ie drink less, be more conscious of my food, be more organized with all my to-dos, and share my dancing) so - I'll take it! Next challenge will probably be extremely similar but with a different dance reality show theme hahah.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Nice challenge. Hoping one of your goals for next challenge is to keep sharing your dancing!

Awww it definitely is! I might have to stop the challenge after that, or make it a less than once a week goal since I might run out of material but at least for the next challenge I definitely will keep up with doing it weekly :)

• Like 1

Alrighty, so moving on to the next challenge! Basically the same goals with some tweaking.

And also, I'll leave you with one last video for zero week.  It's the next portion of the Singing in the Rain dance that I posted the first part of of a few weeks back.  The choreo picks up literally right where the other one stopped (though obviously it's a different day).  The cha cha at the end is ROUGH but it was more or less my first time running those steps (second or third time ever, but first time within the full dance) so whatever.  I am excited to use this to compare to me inevitably doing it 4349382043x better at a future time haha:

• Like 5