Ye Not-Quite-Olde Ranger Guildhall [General Chat]

SkyGirl

All hail, and welcome to the Guildhall, the place that is more than a place, our home away from home, where we can find friendship, advice, encouragement, unlimited corners to sit in, and of course, a good round of sturdy drinks.

maxresdefault.jpg

The barkeep has your favorite [stool, bench, soft chair, nook by the fire] ready for you and the bar is stocked with just what you like. Come on in and make yourself at home!

• Like 5

SKY ELVENWORD

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 42

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

Books in Progress:

Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (24%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%)  |  Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (0%) 
Books Finished:
Captivating (100%)  |  The Prodigal God (100%)  |  Not Yet Married (100%)  |  Gentle and Lowly (100%)

Cheetah saunters in and sizes up the room.  He chooses a seat next to a large window, which looks out onto a shady garden full of flowers and butterflies.  He orders a pitcher of sweet tea and takes a book from his pack.  He sips his tea, settles in, and begins to read, smiling contentedly.

• Like 6

Level 44 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

After surreptitiously checking Cheetah for hats the Chaplain sits down to offer his customary first round. Because he's on his phone, he describes it rather than posting an image.

Barkeep, a single malt Islay Scotch at least half as old as I am.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Glancing around her in satisfaction after throwing open the doors of the Guildhall and letting the bright sunshine and fresh breeze pour in, Sky settles herself at her favorite stool. But she has not even opened her mouth before the barkeep slides over a fragrant vanilla latte with extra whipped cream.

"How grateful I am for your telepathy," she remarks, and settles in to enjoy the coffee and catch up on the latest news around the corps.

• Like 5

SKY ELVENWORD

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

Books in Progress:

Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (24%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%)  |  Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (0%) 
Books Finished:
Captivating (100%)  |  The Prodigal God (100%)  |  Not Yet Married (100%)  |  Gentle and Lowly (100%)

Donk! Donk! Donk!

crackle...

FIZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  A cloud of pressurized steam shoots from behind the bar and disperses under the ceiling. 

Tall, skinny gentleman crawls from behind the counter. "Your espresso machine should be ok now. I added milk steamer, blender and mousetrap for your convenience" he tells barkeep while hiding his mallet. "Can I have my coffee now?" 

He nods at everybody muttering  "laidies", "gentleman" as he goes to his table by the window, where he starts toying with a gaslamp.

• Like 5

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges: Current#15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Bike build

6 hours ago, aramis said:

Donk! Donk! Donk!

crackle...

FIZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  A cloud of pressurized steam shoots from behind the bar and disperses under the ceiling. 

Tall, skinny gentleman crawls from behind the counter. "Your espresso machine should be ok now. I added milk steamer, blender and mousetrap for your convenience" he tells barkeep while hiding his mallet. "Can I have my coffee now?" 

He nods at everybody muttering  "laidies", "gentleman" as he goes to his table by the window, where he starts toying with a gaslamp.

Have you by any chance heard of Bergholt Stuttley "Bloody Stupid" Johnson?

• Like 3

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

RES finds her favorite corner with her Irish coffee and sits back to enjoy a moment of peace and people watching

• Like 3

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 Version

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 56

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|

|My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | Our Business Venture |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Terra rushes in the door, spots her favorite comfy chair and makes a bee-line for that corner.  After a quick round of nods around the room, she asks for a glass of red wine.  Then pulls out a book and settles in to read (and people watch!) 

• Like 4

Ranger-Monk Hybrid

I am a strong little powerhouse 

Current Challenge: Recovery

Battle/Quest Log and Instagram: TerraOracle

Walking in wearing her old yet beautiful hufflepuff scarf (I sorted the hallway walk-in and found the missing winter gear, yay), enchanted with a cooling spell appropriate for the weather here of course, parking her broom behind the door, where it will behave! Morag walks up to the bar with a spring in her step and a twinkle in her eye.

A quiet exchange with the barkeep, a gift for the host, as is her custom. And he offers a fruity cocktail and a small plate of cheeses and crackers with a raised eyebrow, as if to say: "I know exactly what you would like best for food and beverage at any given time, and I would never ever judge, but this is unusual for you." "I don't even know why I want these things, but as unusual as they are, the things you placed in front of me are Exactly what I would like, and I am well aware that it's not my usual fare. Join me in laughing over myself, it is good fun, and healthy too, laughter.", Morag conveys with a shrug of her shoulders and a face of wry mirth.

She walks over to where Terra and Cheetah have found places to read and people watch. While walking over Cheetah and his window of gardens get company from a second window viewing into the dark, cool green of a deep forest, one of the wooden chairs stretches and popps, quietly, until it is a fluffy chaiselounge of dark brown cloth, the café style table, dances and turns until it is a small white sidetable just the right size for a plate of cheese and crackers and a glass of some sort and maybe a book or three.

Placing gently the barkeep's treats on the table and sliding her beautiful blue bag (bigger on the inside) off her shoulder (I have to get one of those for real sometime), Morag sighs deeply and plopps herself down to enjoy a hat free moment. Watching aramis be aramis. Life could indeed be worse.

send from my new phone, bear with me.

• Like 3

Katrin the Morag Lvl 22 Cadet, half klingon, c-licensed trainer, mother of two, gaming nerd

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

17 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Bergholt Stuttley "Bloody Stupid" Johnson

"Oh Chaplain, you ask if I heard of him? He's one of the greatest inventors of all time, just ask anyone who saw Mail Sorter and lived long enough to tell the tale. The idea to round up Pi to three while calculating it's gearbox is purely amazing." 

aramis reaches into his frock-coat inner pocket and pulls out matchbox containing a small figurine.

"I even have exact replica of his Colossus of Ankh-Morpork. In exact scale!" he grins in enthusiasm.  

While aramis is distracted by conversation, the gaslamp extends six spider-like legs and tires to sneak off the table. 

• Like 4

Challenges: Current#15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Bike build

6 hours ago, aramis said:

"Oh Chaplain, you ask if I heard of him? He's one of the greatest inventors of all time, just ask anyone who saw Mail Sorter and lived long enough to tell the tale. The idea to round up Pi to three while calculating it's gearbox is purely amazing." 

aramis reaches into his frock-coat inner pocket and pulls out matchbox containing a small figurine.

"I even have exact replica of his Colossus of Ankh-Morpork. In exact scale!" he grins in enthusiasm.  

While aramis is distracted by conversation, the gaslamp extends six spider-like legs and tires to sneak off the table. 

"And by chance, did you study under Leonard da Qurim?"

• Like 1

"Alas, never got to. But I studied for some years in Machinator Collegium in Altdorf. But it was too strict for my taste" suddenly, he performs almost perfect balestra as he lunges to catch his clockwork gaslamp falling off the table. 

"And where are you going little one?" he gently scolds his contraption, examinig any potential damage. 

"Sorry about this, they tend to be very inquisitive"

• Like 5

Bike build

On 6/27/2019 at 12:39 PM, aramis said:

"Alas, never got to. But I studied for some years in Machinator Collegium in Altdorf. But it was too strict for my taste" suddenly, he performs almost perfect balestra as he lunges to catch his clockwork gaslamp falling off the table. 

"And where are you going little one?" he gently scolds his contraption, examinig any potential damage. 

"Sorry about this, they tend to be very inquisitive"

I have no idea what you two are talking about, but I adore this character already!!

SKY ELVENWORD

Books in Progress:

Books Finished:

Spoiler

Battle Speech: Week One

Today is a beginning.

Maybe it doesn't really feel like one. Maybe it feels like just another day in a long string of gray, bland, mashed-potato-flavored days. Maybe you're trying something again for the fifth or tenth or fiftieth time, and you know you're beginning again, but you're filled with dread that this time is going to end in defeat like all the other times. Maybe you're beginning something so radically new that you don't even know what to compare it to, and you feel the weight of that beginning, like gravity pulling you downward as you stand at the edge of the diving board.

Whether you feel it too much, not enough or just right, today is the beginning of something. 

For some of us, it's the beginning of something small. A slight course correction. A tiny adjustment to try to fine-tune the humming machine of life without throwing it completely out of whack. For some of us, it's the beginning of something vast, something that's going to change the way we see ourselves and our lives in the future. And for some of us, it's a beginning so small that we can only call it for what it is: The beginning of the rest of our lives.

Because that's exactly what this is. Today is the beginning of that tomorrow we've been looking for and hoping for. Today one of us is lifting a barbell for the first time, looking ahead to the day when she can deadlift that number she's always wanted to. Today one of us got out of bed and took a short walk around the block, looking ahead to the day when he could run a mile without stopping. Today one of us gave ourselves permission to cry after so many heavy, suffocating years of pretending that thing didn't happen or didn't matter. And today, one of us simply woke up, and carried about the things that needed to get done, pushing through one more day and looking forward to the day when the voices that ruthlessly harass mind and spirit won't shout quite so loudly.

For every one of us, today is the beginning of the days that we are dreaming of.

Because when we do arrive at those days we're working toward, they are going to be todays, too. But they'll be todays when the first tentative steps we make today - eating a vegetable, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, picking up a heavier dumbbell, speaking a kind word to ourselves instead of a harsh one - feel comfortable and familiar. The little steps we take today are going to take us all forward into the futures we want so much to build, for ourselves and our families.

And the best part? We are all here, at the starting line, and we're taking these first steps together. The woman with the barbell and the man sweating on the sidewalk and the person finally crying healing tears in their kitchen - we are all right here together. This guild, this group of Rangers, is bound together in love and pledges on our honor to walk alongside each other and support each other in these first steps and in those big confident ones of tomorrow.

Today is a beginning. 

Let's all pick up our feet and start moving together. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

SKY ELVENWORD

Books in Progress:

Books Finished:

Rinna slinks in through a crack in the door.  Eyes wild, fingers twitching muttering “marzipan, fondant, buttercream.....ribbons and twine” Barkeep squints his eyes commenting “Ahh.  Wedding plans still, ya?  No strong spirits for you missy.  Here’s a cuppa chamomile.  Go, sit by the lamp and take out your knitting, you know it will calm your nerves.” She gratefully wraps her hands around the steaming mug and shuffles over to the seat indicated.  “My thanks, barkeep.  You always know, don’t you?”  Barkeep just smiles his enigmatic smile and gives a tiny nod.

• Like 3

Level 20 Daywalker

Fitbit

Rinna joins the Fellowship to Rivendell      318.24/458

Spoiler

"The only way to lose is to give up."

-Tanktimus the Encourager

"You can't beat someone that refuses to give up."

-Björn Járnhamar

Nic bursts into the Guild Hall, looking equally exhausted and manic. Her ruck is slightly singed and still giving off a vaguely ominous pink-grey smoke. Dirt, or perhaps soot and ash, smudges line a cheek and her forehead. She strides purposefully to the bar, people sliding out of her way due to the gleam in her eye.

"Barkeep," she forcefully smacks a hand down on the bar, not paying attention to how loud that smack was, "vodka. The good stuff. You would not BELIEVE how hectic things have been lately."

The barkeep laughs and sets up two double shot glasses, and fills them. "Rough trip?"

"Oh yeah." Nic picks up the first shot glass and shoots the first glass, not even flinching at the taste. "Huh... is this Siano?" At the barkeep's nod, she gives a whoop of enthusiasm and takes the second shot. Laughing softly at Nic's antics, the barkeep decides to hand her the whole bottle. 

"Thanks, mate!" Nic cheers, picking up the bottle, and walks towards her usual booth, rucksack still smoking ominiously as she walks. "If anyone wants some of this," she announces, waving the Siano around," find me after my nap," walking towards her usual booth and slings the ruck into one of the benches. Reaching into one of the pocket, she pulls out a fire extinguisher, and sprays a teal foam on the smoking parts of the ruck. "that should do it," she mutters, before putting the fire extinguisher away. Satisfied, Nic collapsed onto the bench on the other side of the booth, and fell asleep, still holding onto the bottle of vodka. 

• Like 8

Level 4, Amazon Ranger

Current Challenge:  NicBot-5000 enters Recovery Mode

Previous Challenges: 12, 3,  4, 5, 6

PRE REBOOT CHALLENGES: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Various links and sundry: Battle log, Respawn post

The smell precedes the half-ogre by a good two minutes. By the time GoodDoug walks in, everyone knows he is coming. Freshly bandaged and disconcertingly sporting a big fake red nose. He walks in, nodding to his Ranger comrades and takes a seat at the bar. The barstool groaning under his weight, and a squeak escaping the rubber chicken in his back pocket.

"None of this is real you know, it's all just a dream."

The barkeep smiles, "Sure it is, and what would you dream of drinking tonight?"

"Red wine, for me please... it matches my nose," GoodDoug breaks into giggles and starts juggling three balls.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

2 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

The smell precedes the half-ogre by a good two minutes. By the time GoodDoug walks in, everyone knows he is coming. Freshly bandaged and disconcertingly sporting a big fake red nose. He walks in, nodding to his Ranger comrades and takes a seat at the bar. The barstool groaning under his weight, and a squeak escaping the rubber chicken in his back pocket.

"None of this is real you know, it's all just a dream."

The barkeep smiles, "Sure it is, and what would you dream of drinking tonight?"

"Red wine, for me please... it matches my nose," GoodDoug breaks into giggles and starts juggling three balls.

The chaplain gives the room A Look. "Allright, who left the lid off of the DougNip again?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

The chaplain gives the room A Look. "Allright, who left the lid off of the DougNip again?"

"I promise, all I did was open the curtains and doors to air the place out. Wasn't me."

• Like 3

SKY ELVENWORD

Books in Progress:

Books Finished:

13 hours ago, Shadri said:

trying to find my ability to even :P

Did you try adding or subtracting 1? Multiplying by two works as well.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

On 7/4/2019 at 10:40 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Did you try adding or subtracting 1? Multiplying by two works as well.

When in doubt, add a zero.

• Like 1

Level 44 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

1 hour ago, Cheetah said:

When in doubt, add a zero.

Given your predilection for quantum hats I would have expected your advice to be to divide by zero.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1