C_Q GLOWS

Week 1

Monday - I would normally squat and deadlift on Monday but I took an extra rest day. 

Tuesday - Crossfit

This was one of those sessions where the trainer legitimately tried to murder us in the warm up. The first part was fine, an easy EMOM with push ups, pipe pass-through and pip over-head squats. The second part: Assault bike sprints. We did 10s sprint, 50s rest, then 20s sprint 40s rest and so on until we were sprinting for 50s. It doesn't sound like a lot, but that assault bike is evil. My legs were shaking by the end of the 50s sprint.

And then we had to do 1RM overhead squats!

Hit a new 1RM of 30kg. I love the early stages of learning new lifts, as every session is a PB!

WOD:

5RFT (12min timecap)

50 Double Unders or 150 singles

15 burpee box jump overs

Score: 3rounds +16reps

This sucked, big time. I cant do double unders and although I'm good at skipping, 150 reps took forever.

The burpee box jumps fried my legs even more and on one of the last reps of the third round, I misjudged my jump and scraped my shin down the box.

Image result for glow tv show gif

It hurt, I swore, the coach said we had 3 minutes left, so I went straight back to burpeeing and box jumping. There was no way I was stopping without doing at least 3 rounds!

Now I have a nice graze down my left shin, right next to the bramble scratches from Saturday. My legs are so pretty

• Like 6

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

4 hours ago, Salinger said:

You are so boss Charlie. When i grow up, i wana be you :) xx

Episode 1 GIF

• Haha 2

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 

12 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Hit a new 1RM of 30kg. I love the early stages of learning new lifts, as every session is a PB!

Great work!  The beginning is the most fun, for sure.  :-)

• Like 1

Level 44 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

On 7/3/2019 at 11:38 PM, Cheetah said:

Great work!  The beginning is the most fun, for sure.  :-)

it's not so much fun right at the beginning when you have to work with a technique bar just to figure out the movement, but once you move to the big-boy (or girl in my case) bar and start adding weight, the fun really starts!

• Like 2

2020 Races: 

tenor.gif?itemid=9080775

A belated Happy Forth of July to the USA peeps! I hope you all stuffed yourselves silly with burgers, beer and hot dogs.

Week 1 

Wednesday:

Run 0/2

I had a plumber coming round to look at some stuff after work, so this delayed my run. By the time he left, it was really late so I bailed.
Bulletproof shoulder workout 1/2

I made sure I did this though, so at least something was done. 

List of my exercises in the spoiler if anyone is interested

Spoiler

Mobility (3 rounds):

30s underhand deadhang
10 table tops with 10s pause at the top

60s banded lat pull away (thick band)

then

2 rounds for quality:

15-20 Banded face pulls into 'Y' press overhead (thin band)

Rotator Cuff trio - lying on a bench with very light weight (I use a 1.25kg plate)

- straight arm from side to the ear (parallel to floor) until 6/10 fatigue

- from 90 degree flexion (arm in front) lift arm until ~10 degrees from vertical until 8/10 fatigue.
- elbow at side at 90 degrees, bring arm from stomach out to the side through full ROM until 10/10 fatigue

10x Db strict press with a weight you can press unbroken with good form

Thursday:

Crossfit 2/3

More snatch work last night. This time it was hang snatches, which kinda suck! Started with just the bar, then added the 2.5kg plates, then decides to jump up to the 5kg plates, failed a few reps, moved back down to 2.5kg plates and eventually settled on using 2.5kg and 1.25kg. It's so much harder trying to pull the bar from a hang than from the floor! 

WOD:

3 rounds 

12 Ground to Overhead

6 burpee box jump overs

then straight into:

2 rounds

12 deadlifts

8 burpees over bar

The idea was to press the same weight as you deadlifted, but for me, this would have be a very puny deadlift! So I set up a second bar with 45kg on and snatched (from the ground) the same weight I did in the strength workout. The heat in the box was absolutely horrendous yesterday and I could barely breathe by the end of it. I finished in around 11 mins (forgot to look at the clock)

I'm looking forward to this weekend. On Saturday, Hubs and I are going bouldering with a friend of his that does a lot of outdoor lead climbing. He's a really good climber but he recently had a double hip operation and hasn't been able to climb for a while. Then on Sunday morning, we're going to go see Spiderman and if there's time, binge watch Stranger Things season 3.

• Like 5

2020 Races: 

A lot of catching up to do! 

Saturday:
Crossfit 3/3 

We did a team of 3 workout:

120, 90, 70, 50, 30, 10 

Bike/Row cals

Goblet Squats

Burpees

For those that don't know what sort of fresh hell that is, that means, in our trio we had to do 120 cals on the bike or rower, followed by 120 goblet squats and then 120 burpees and then do it all again with 90 reps and so on. We broke the reps down into 15 per person and had a good pace going, but we hit the time cap on the burpees on the 90 rep range. The coach admitted she has purposely set the ranges too high to stop people burning through them and finishing before the time cap, so that made us feel a little better about it! We all got a good sweat on and that's all that matters.

In the afternoon we went climbing with Stu's friend. His friend brought his girlfriend along who had never climbed before and everyone had a good time. We're going to try to do that a bit more often as we don't go nearly as much as we used to. 

Sunday:

Bulletproof Shoulders 2/2

Running: Nope

We went to see Spiderman Far From Home in the morning and then went food shopping. By the time that was all done I didn't want to run, so I did my shoulder program and chilled out. 

Shoulder Exercises

Spoiler

Mobility 2 sets:

Accumulate 60s overhand grip passive hang

Pec stretch on rig/door frame 60s each arm

15 pipe pass throughs – work on getting hands closer together every 5 reps.

then

4 Sets:

Upside down KB press (use a weight you can do unbroken-keep core on or sit down if you prefer, no rib flare allowed)

Banded 'clock-face' step outs on the wall 

So the program is ramping up slightly to include some strength work. I had to improvise with the KB press as I didn't have one. So I used one of my 5kg plates. They are the type that have grip handles so I held this with the weight overhead (if that makes sense?). It was OK, but not the same as a KB, it was also too light. So I decided to bite the bullet and brought an 8kg kettlebell. 

Tuesday:

Crossfit 1/3

Related image

This session started off well and then suddenly became one of the worst WODS I've ever done. The strength was deadlifts, which of course, are awesome. So I was happy as larry for the first part. Then the WOD started:

Buy in 800m run - straight into:

3 RFT

20 thrusters

20 bar over burpees

20 toes to bar

I switched to front squat instead of thrusters. The run was awful, I've been suffering with really bad hey fever the last week or so and doing the run was hell. I struggled to breathe and my sinuses felt so sore. The front squats were fine, the burpees were their usual level of hell, but the toe-to-bar............ I felt like I was going to have a complete melt down over them. Sometimes I can get the movement for T2B right and it just clicks. Other times, like last night, I end up swinging wildly on the bar unable to kick my legs up (I can't do T2B - the way it's scaled in our box is, you pick a point on the wall opposite and you make sure you reach that point with your feet on every rep). The coach ended up coming over and giving me some pointers, which did help, but the stress meant my anxiety was high and it took a lot of mental strength not to give up. I didn't give up though, I carried on until the time cap and died a little on the floor before going home.

When I got home, I jumped in a cold shower, sat on the floor and questioned why the hell I put myself through this! 

I had a funny interaction with Hubs about it afterwards though. Spoilered below 

Spoiler

I was explaining what the exercises were and got to toes-2-bar

Stu: What's that? 

Me: T2B? Exactly what it sounds like, you have to get your toes to touch the bar

Stu: (confused face) how? 

Me: You hang from the bar and kick your feet up. It's really hard, you have to have a strong core and get the rhythm right

Stu: Wait, so your hanging from a bar and your feet have to touch the bar? 

Me: yes

Stu: while hanging? 

Me: yes

Stu: So, how do you get your feet to touch the bar? *stands there and tries to mimic the movement by lifting one leg up in the air* No! That's not possible! 

Me: well it's not possible for me yet, but loads of people there do it

Stu: And your feet have to touch the bar?

Me: Yes, hence the name

Stu: *looking confused but also impressed* No! That's madness

Me: Yep 

I really should run tonight. The only thing putting me off is the pollen level right now. It's still pretty high and I feel really blocked up right now. The medication isn't doing very much so I might have to go to the doctors and see if they can prescribe something stronger than the over the counter stuff. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2020 Races: 

20 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I didn't give up though, I carried on until the time cap

This is what counts. You didn’t give up. T2B is not just a core strength move. There is this rhythm to it that I usually struggle to grasp. And if you couldn’t breathe that’s just going to make things harder. Try not to beat yourself up over that one. That’s not an easy WOD by any definition. 

• Like 1

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

On 6/27/2019 at 1:19 AM, Maigs said:

Obviously I'm following along, but I have to excitedly post because I just found out a friend is moving to England soon so I have an excuse to come to your country! I already asked Hubs if it would be weird to meet up with my imaginary OCR peeps out there and he just rolled his eyes a bit

Just gotta interrupt here and say it would be beyond cool to meet another Ranger AND an OCR Peep from across the pond... :D 

I am seriously so proud of you Charlie. Killing your WODs, doing your shoulder mobility like a good Ranger... you are one inspirational badass. I might need some pointers on that T2B swing next weekend myself. I seem to get stuck in the 'flail around swinging weirdly' stage.

• Like 3

Rangers Gonna Ranger

Current Challenge: The Adventures of Rhovaniel: Vol I

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25

2021 Quests:

Run 3 Laps of Oblivion| Run and Complete Man vs Lakes | Achieve a full pull up| Achieve 10+ unbroken push ups| Write 90,000+ words of a novel (0/90,000)| Read at least 20 books (4/20)

2 hours ago, jstanlick said:

This is what counts. You didn’t give up. T2B is not just a core strength move. There is this rhythm to it that I usually struggle to grasp. And if you couldn’t breathe that’s just going to make things harder. Try not to beat yourself up over that one. That’s not an easy WOD by any definition. 

That's part of my problem too. I can usually start off OK, but then I start swinging around on the bar and my rhythm goes to shit. With time and practice, I'll get there.

2 hours ago, Salinger said:

WOW Charlie, you didnt give up, even though your anxiety was so high. Thats amazing, im so proud of you xx

Thanks. I'm not going to lie, it got dark in my head for a few moments. I'm so glad I have the tools to help me deal with these hurdles when they come up. A few years ago, something like that would have stopped me 1) finishing the workout and 2) ever going back. I'm glad I'm not that person anymore.

2 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

I am seriously so proud of you Charlie. Killing your WODs, doing your shoulder mobility like a good Ranger... you are one inspirational badass. I might need some pointers on that T2B swing next weekend myself. I seem to get stuck in the 'flail around swinging weirdly' stage.

Now I'm blushing! 

The trick seems to be learning those beat swings; moving from an arch to a hollow hold in a smooth motion. I still haven't figures out how to stop myself swinging around like a crazed Tarzan when I actually start though! 

• Like 1

2020 Races: 

I have to say that there is a lot less wankery than I expected from you... 

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

On 7/11/2019 at 9:48 AM, jonfirestar said:

I have to say that there is a lot less wankery than I expected from you... 

:D I've been waiting for a reason to use this gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2020 Races: 

Wednesday - Absolutely nothing!

My hey fever got so bad mid week that I've been taking Nytol so I could get a decent nights sleep! I didn't want to try running outside and I don't have access to a dreadmill, so the run got skipped. I also didn't do my shoulder rehab on Wednesday, but I did do it the following day.

Thursday

Bulletproof Shoulders: 1/2

The sleeping pill was a little too effective and I woke up 10 minutes before I was due to start work! Thankfully it was a work from home day so I only had to put some sweatpants on and switch on the laptop! I did my shoulder program during my lunch-break. It wasn't too complicated this session, just a lot of deadhanging, pass-throughs and upside down kettlebell strict presses.

Crossfit 2/3

When I walked in, everyone was talking about how horrendous Tuesday's workout was. So I wasn't the only one that was dying on my arse that day!

Strength was back loaded step up lunges (barbell on back, step up onto a stack of plates and lunge. I really hate these as the lack of mobility in my glutes makes them difficult. My quads were burning by the end.

The WOD was fun, we went through some technique work for double unders and pistol squat scales and then went straight into the workout:

27-21-15 pistol squats

21-15-9 chest to bar - or double the amount ring rows

50 double or 100 single unders

so for me, that went, 27 assisted pistols, 42 ring rows, 100 single unders and so on. It wasn't a gassy workout like Tuesday and the time cap was a generous 18 minutes. I finished in 13 something (I took a pic of the board but cut off the bit with the times)

I really think I need to practice double unders more often. I'm really good at skipping and my jump is high enough for me to do the penguin claps. I just need to get better at spinning the rope quicker and getting that 'flick' with my wrists. I think I might look at hanging around for a few minutes after the wods and practicing them.

• Like 5

2020 Races: 

Sorry to hear the allergies are still being a pain. It's no fun struggling to breathe. But way to go with the CF session! Lunges always burn my quads more than just about any other exercise. I think I would have a hard time with single unders after pistol squats and lunges. Nicely done!

• Like 1

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

On 7/10/2019 at 6:38 AM, Charlie_Quinn said:

I can't do T2B

I can't either

I'm loving all your crossfit fun, I'm so glad you came to the dark side and tried it out ;-)

• Like 1

the year of living trippily

Totally Fucking Current: Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

You're doing so awesome!  Stu's reaction to T2B is exactly the same as mine the first time I heard about it. 

• Like 1

Level 44 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

CQ, you're ghosting us again. How are things going?

• Like 1

Current Challenge: Maigs Settles In

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10 #11, #12, #13, #14#15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23, #24, #25, #26, #27, #28, #29, #30, #31, #32#33#34#35, #36, 373839,  4041, and 42

2020 Races:  Spartan Trifecta - pushed to 2021 / Big Red Challenge 7k June 13 (cxld) / 5k the Hard Way Oct 17 (cxld)

On 7/12/2019 at 4:11 PM, jstanlick said:

Sorry to hear the allergies are still being a pain. It's no fun struggling to breathe. But way to go with the CF session! Lunges always burn my quads more than just about any other exercise. I think I would have a hard time with single unders after pistol squats and lunges. Nicely done!

Thanks. The 'pollen bomb' seems to have subsided now so I haven't needed to take an antihistamine daily for at least a week. I've had the odd day here and there, but it's not been too bad.

It took at least a week for the quad pain to go away! It wasn't fun!

On 7/14/2019 at 9:23 PM, DJtrippyT said:

I can't either

I'm loving all your crossfit fun, I'm so glad you came to the dark side and tried it out ;-)

I'd like to get one T2B and one double under by the end of this year. Not sure if that'll happen though.

I'm so so glad took the leap and tried Crossfit. My strength has improved so much in such a short space of time. 

On 7/16/2019 at 3:58 AM, Cheetah said:

You're doing so awesome!  Stu's reaction to T2B is exactly the same as mine the first time I heard about it. 

Thanks Cheetah! I must say, I'm feeling really positive about myself right now. It's a good feeling

On 7/22/2019 at 1:12 AM, Maigs said:

CQ, you're ghosting us again. How are things going?

Sorry! It wasn't intentional, I just completely lost track of time. I kept thinking 'I must update my challenge' and then before I knew it, a week had gone by!

On 7/22/2019 at 8:03 AM, Salinger said:

Sending you love :) hope you had a nice weekend?x

I did thanks! I met up with a friend that I hadn't seen in about 18 months, and it was like we'd never been apart. I was a little worried that we had drifted apart but it was just like old times. We've both got to make sure we don't leave it as long between visits next time (we're planning a late summer gin evening soon!)

• Like 3

2020 Races: 

Disappointed face

Related image

I really really didn't intend to leave it this long between updates! Things just got away from me. I'm here to finish up this challenge though

Quick update, as I've got a lot of things to do: Basically, nothing has changed much. I'm still going to Crossfit three times a week and have yet to miss a session, and I'm still failing to go out running. My excuse now is that it's too damn hot! I know, it's a lame excuse, but I really dislike running in heat. 

My shoulder rehab is going really really well and I actually managed to do some over head presses in a wod on Tuesday. I played it safe and didn't put any weight on the bar, but it was nice to be able to lift overhead without pain. I've got a week of the program left, and then I'll start working on building the weight bearing back up on my shoulders and continue to do some of the rehab exercises in my weekly program. Prevention > cure.

And now, onto the big news 

I BROKE MY DEADLIFT PR AGAIN!

We did 1RM testing on Tuesday and I managed to add 5kg to my 1RM. So my PR is now 105kg. 

Related image

I can't begin to explain how ecstatic I was when I did that and I've been on a high from it since.  

• Like 4

2020 Races: 

40 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I BROKE MY DEADLIFT PR AGAIN!

Boom! Nice one Charlie!

Also, possibly more impressive (and possibly the reason for the above) is this bit:

41 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I'm still going to Crossfit three times a week and have yet to miss a session

Nice one!

• Like 1

Level 13 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge: Year of the Muscle Wizard - 2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map