• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

TGP

TGP- what is the NEW normal anyways? Patience

well, TRUTH

I was sorely tempted to not join this next challenge.  but NOT only am I going to join, I'm going to join early

I don't feel good today. I think I have a cold. the limelight has faded, my exercise program is non-existant and I dont' have something I can passionately look forward to

thats a bad mental place for sure.

But I can't give up!  I have to fight on.

I have to find the new normal. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSd0qEfmSr3BXffwFJ4iuk

I just learned my college daughter is planning on taking a summer job near her college and won't be home.  that leaves the house a "nearly" empty nest- more than its ever been.

I wonder how that effects things?

but she ( my daughter) really unleashed a lot of baggage a week ago.  I thought of writing about it. but idk.  I'm not sure I had much advise for her- I'm not sure she really needs advise!

she needs to take her antidepressent- but she often skips. she's worried that it will make her gain weight.

I'm WORRIED that she won't be able to handle things out there, with no inbetween semesters to go home and shake up her life a little.

Instead its all just massive insecurity/anxiety in a desperate quest for friendship.

ANYWAYS.

i've got baggage of my own.  I'm tired and congested.  I don't want muscles that worked hard to be in top hiking shape to go away.

and I have NO exercise routine.

that last little part Can't be endured.  I must get over that.  I'm not sure though what kind of bug I have-  I kind of feel better today.  but could I have woken up early- and did something at the gym this morning??

no way!

ha!  my baggage.

I'll try to quit ignoring your guys too.  I've read a little... some people are in hard places, too.

its kind of hard when life grips you and stops you from doing things.  its not only the difficulty of being motivated- it can be a matter of patience, too.

Patience. patience is hard, hard, hard ... during my 100 mile walk I often thought of patience.  Patience when things weren't going quickly and problems were happening.

Life is a walk- in that way.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnayWlIxUNR4fXYQJFJx-

I'll try to be patient and I'll try to be here. jason.

• Like 8

It's hard to find "normal" after success at a big goal.  Do you feel like you don't have a path?  It always felt like that for me.  So I'm here to cheer you on as you find your path forward!!!  

• Like 1

Hey Jason, im sorry your daughter is struggling. Gaining weight IS a problem for some medications, it certainly was for me :(  but i need them. So much. Unfortunately. 

Im also sad you are feeling low, i can sense it in your words. Im sending you masses of love and support. ALways here to chat with you. You are a source of inspiration and comfort to me, so thank you for that. 

Hope things ease up soon for you x

5 minutes ago, Terra said:

It's hard to find "normal" after success at a big goal.  Do you feel like you don't have a path?  It always felt like that for me.  So I'm here to cheer you on as you find your path forward!!!  

Definitely

I guess the Hardest thing is the idea that there is No goal, no passion to accomplish something amazing.

alternately, I was doing things habitually that had to be skipped because of the big goal.

lots of baggage on that...

3 minutes ago, Salinger said:

Hey Jason, im sorry your daughter is struggling. Gaining weight IS a problem for some medications, it certainly was for me :(  but i need them. So much. Unfortunately. 

Im also sad you are feeling low, i can sense it in your words. Im sending you masses of love and support. ALways here to chat with you. You are a source of inspiration and comfort to me, so thank you for that. 

Hope things ease up soon for you x

I appreciate it.  I AM low today.  I think I have been sleeping too much!  whatever cold I have does it really demand 12hours of sleep?

idk.

----

I think there is /was a very realistic plan on what to do next.

what wasn't expected was how much finishing the A100 disrupted my life!  I felt like I pushed myself to the MAX... only to find a mess- things that weren't done.   my entire exercise routine trashed.

• Like 5

I'm glad you decided to join us back on the forums. A lot of people have unchallenges, where they focus on getting back to a normal (I've done them before too), and it definitely helps to stay accountable to be here.

I'd also like to mention that post-race blues are a real thing and might not be helping out your current state. Basically, you've spent so much time regimented and committed to a specific goal and when it's done, you feel pretty lost. Adding to home life stuff, this can seem even worse.

If you ever need an ear to talk about things, don't hesitate to reach out! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Glad you are here! I think parenting never really gets any easier, even when our kids grow up. It is so hard to see them struggle, but not really help them, because they need to figure it out for themselves.

You are obviously very motivated by big goals. Have you thought of doing an OCR or something like it? Or you could make smaller goals, like  being able to lift x amount or run  x amount.

You have worked so hard for your goal, taking several years to actually achieve it, it seems  natural to now have a bit of a let down and a what next. Even if yo do the walk again, it won't be the same. Give yourself a bit of time mentally to figure out what's next.

• Like 4

I'm with you on finding the new normal. It's a tough thing to do, and requires a lot of soul searching, but based on what I'm seeing you've accomplished amazing things. I believe you can keep accomplishing more!

We're all in this together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Echoing everyone else-- I'm glad you're here! Finding a new normal or readjusting to life after meeting a big goal can be tricky. Especially when you have things happening in other areas of your life. I'll be cheering you on, and if you need anything, give a shout! We've got your back :) 

ok, well I'm back.

this certainly was a BUSY weekend.  I have the great yearning to getting back to an exercise program (I know, I know you've Heard THAT before...)

and its just Not really easy.

and its definitely NOT going to be started on a weekend. SO....

really the PLAN has been worked out weeks ago! but my Dad and I was talking about it; and I think he's right.  I need a goal, an event; something to be passionate about and something to get me past the last bouts of procrastination.

i've found that event!  its called the "marilla trails 14mail trail run" and it is Perfect!  in the middle of October there is Just enough time to get in half marathon shape

(and its really close to home too)

so the last step of any commitment is to tell everyone all about it. SO I'm just Glad you stopped by to ask how I am!?

I figure it goes like this....

I want to run a 14mile halfmarathon trail race by October 12.  there is 13 weeks to train.

https://www.marillatrailrace.com/

*I need to build a routine of 3 morning runs in a week, quite similar to the c25k I did last year.

*I will start with run/walk intervals and Perhaps, I will stick to the run/walk intervals rather than try to run the whole thing.  Run /Walk intervals are highly recommended by a running coach and elite runner Jeff Galloway.

*I already bought  Honmax Interval timer that allows me to program in indefinite alternating intervals; with either buzz/beep notification.  

*a few weeks ago; I tried and maintained a 1:5 run/walk pace for nearly 5k. so I'm not starting at zero.  OTOH, 14miles is a great deal further than I can run.  its not clear what interval I might be able to tolerate.  so there is a bunch of guesses as to where I currently stand

*Last year I did a c25k and I did mainly at Lunch.  while its a thought to get back to doing this at lunch; its SO much better (this year) to work with the morning NOT lunch.  the point is Last year I had a morning routine  and running was on top of that.  I need to get my mornings Back! ... besides  Last year's running program actually started in Late fall 2017 and its Loads easier to run at Lunch in the WINTER than it is in the Summer.  for the rest of the summer; morning really IS the best part of the day.  and I'm sleeping most of that away.

----

OK thats my plan and I'll try very hard to stick to it.   I want to do my first run tomorrow morning.

if your around and thinking of me- feel free to ask me how my run went!?

ha!

and hopefully that thought will help me wake up early enough to start this up.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, TGP said:

I need a goal, an event; something to be passionate about and something to get me past the last bouts of procrastination.

That's about the only way I can get myself to really train too. Sounds like you found the ideal goal to aim for, and I know you can do it.

So.... as it is tomorrow already here... how did your running go :D  ?

• Like 1

YAY!I did it!  woohoo!

but.. BOY am I slow! lol

my "runing report" is getting a little dodgy, so lets do this right. 

Woke up nice and early at 6am, thought about rolling over and sleeping more and Mentally Yelled at me to wake up. it worked!

stumbled out the house and after just a short warm up walk- started to run.  ha! the run was even slower than the walk.  after about 6mins of that I took a walk break to pick up the pace.  then I ran a good little bit.  12 minute mile which is the world of running is SLOW-AS-MOLASSAS-IN-JANUARY.  another walk break , another run.

all together I made a little more than 5k in 44 minutes.  

notes (for the future)

• goodness gravy, dress the part. it was cool so Jeans and long sleeve shirts weren't ridiculously warm - but they weren't neccesary and I would have been more comfortable in Tees and shorts
  • yeah, the speed, I expected that.  this is like the first run. ofc I'm not fast.  tho' see Next point
  • Actually it was a pretty amazing run if you think about it.  I'm NOT a runner and I haven't done anything real in more than a year.  yet still I got in a solid 25minutes of running and Nothing hurts!  and 5k isn't far- but its still a Thing in the running world.  plenty of people polish off 5k's as a short run.
  • An unpleasant night last night just Emphasizes that I NEED this.  I need the morning time to run and meditate.  One perk of ALL that hiking was the long hours to chill, think, and meditate. SO, lets get back SOME of that time.  I realized this morning how much I enjoyed that time.
  • Lastly What a beautiful morning!  really really pleasant temps, nothing is wet or cold or hot. 
  • Like 6

.... I thought you were doing the Pittsburgh TM? Wouldn't that be the next thing to train for? :D 

Also: a 12:00 mile is nothing to sneeze at. Sure, there are a lot of people out there faster than that, but there are also a lot of people who would wish for that time! So sure, maybe you want to be faster, but don't knock your current time. 

Finally: make sure that at least one of your weekly runs is on a trail if you are training for a trail race (more would be better). Running on trails is nothing like running on the roads, so you'll want to make sure you're used to it. Not sure if you were already planning on it, but very important! That race looks really fun!

• Like 2

actually. :(

I have a confession about that. (the Pittsburgh TM).  I really feel that I will end up skipping it.

I hate to admit that cause I know it would be epic and all...

but I really feel that its hard to go solo and take the car,etc.  its truthfully not really that close-  nearly a 2 hour drive (one way).

for a long time I fostered the idea that I would find someone local to ride with.. and perhaps help pay for gas (or something)

but the only local person that WAS going to go TM, won't talk to me when I message him about it at work.

and sometimes people are funny; when they decide to skip these kinds of things.

so NO.  it made much MORE sense last year.  when I was concentrating on bodyweight exercise like burpees and stuff.  I even had local people that were going to go...

and then Suddenly, they didn't!  and now its hard

---------------------

anyways. about the trail running.  your right! and I have just the place to do a trail run at a local state park not far from me.

the current training plan is 3 runs a week

a slow steady run on trails

a faster interval run; concentrating on speed OR hills

Lastly, my long run perhaps with intervals as well

this first run was more about beginning than anything else.

like you say; it was a good run.  I'm not sure I'm exactly happy with a 12 minute mile....  but surely I got to get conditioned before I get a good fast pace and yes I really enjoyed it.

also going too fast and pushing too hard can lead to injuries and I Don't want that.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, TGP said:

I have a confession about that. (the Pittsburgh TM).  I really feel that I will end up skipping it.

I hate to admit that cause I know it would be epic and all...

Oh, boo! Makes sense though - the distances to travel for races can get ridiculous (Sylvaa says a few days before driving 3 hours one way for a race - I'm camping for the weekend though, not in one day). If anything changes, let me know! I'm pretty sure I'm still doing it.

I hear you on the mile time. I always want to be faster than I am - I think it's like the lifting motto: Once you start lifting, you are forever weak. :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hey !! Wow 44 mins for a first 5km is really good! Well done!! I couldnt do that no way.... proud of you!!!! and excited for your next adventure xx

• Like 1

Wow, that's a lot of challenges. I'm sure it's especially hard to handle the worries about your daughter... But it's awesome that you're not giving up and are aware of the need for patience - that's already a big victory in itself! As well as setting the goal to run the trail half race - brilliant! I'll be following and rooting for you all the way! (Btw, I'll also run my first half, though a road one, just day after, on Oct 13 - will be fun to keep up with each other's training and hype as it gets closer :D)

• Like 2

oh wow.

half marathoning at nearly the same time.  thats really cool!  I have a hunch your a bit more of a runner than I am... (so feel free to share what you've learned...)

Anyways

I spent lunch writing in big BOLD letters "I AM A RUNNER".  I'm trying to hype into my subconscious.  I haven't seriously run since I was 12 (and that was, a long LONG time ago).  but if fits- it really fits- in my life right now.

Now I have a secret weapon in this effort.  I discovered it last year when I went and did the c25k.

I found out that after the unpleasant of the first few minutes- that If I can Hold an uncomfortable pace and not break into walking,

that I pretty reliably have a runners high.

its Not always a very big one; and I often doubt that it is worth the discomfort of getting to it... but I get it and it helps a lot.

how bout you?  do you often get a runners high?  and has it changed as you've been training?

last year- I had to give up on my running program right when I was getting faster, and perhaps even getting a better runners high...

anyways, I'm often curious about other people's runners high. it seems a really personal thing.  I've even meet people that almost never get it!  how they get addicted to running is beyond me; even WITH a runners high- its a hard thing to embrace (well, for me....)

• Like 5