• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

TGP

TGP- what is the NEW normal anyways? Patience

31 minutes ago, TGP said:

my daughter is cruising along towards the last few years of college

OTOH; I think she has alot of new concerns because she senses that things will soon be changing again and she's not where she wants to be.

in fact; there's been a lot of new talk of taking out NEW loans to switch majors and basically have to do the last 2 years of college all over again.  the university she is in has a limit to the number of credits you can take.  so if she switches majors she will probably have to switch universities...

.... as for advise?

idk. she asks for it a lot!  but I really think its not as helpful as she thinks it is.

* firstly, my daughter has always been a very determined about doing her OWN thing - even when she was small.

* but Secondly  and mostly

(and this drives me NUTS!)... she tends to argue with you when she doesn't like your advise.  she's an adult! and can make up her own mind.  so when she does that

I always say.

Keyanna. KEYANNA!  stop! ok?  its just my advise!   your an adult I don't HAVE to agree.  PLEASE feel free to make up your OWN mind and do you own thing!

;)

and that is what can be hard about giving keyanna my advise. 

now; idk.  unfortunately she's never really had an interest in coming here.  I've told her about this place- but LIKE so many People in my life are like

YOU.ARE.WIERD!telling perfect strangers all this stuff!  AREN'T you worried of trolls/stalkers/etc

alas  its somewhat hard to explain the Rebellion to people that aren't Into it.   

-----

I've also said it before and I'll say it again.

What a Wonderful incredible place is the 'rebellion'!  for a place Open to the whole internet- I've never seen such a wonderful awesome supportive place!  to that... a Toast to ambassadors/ and guild leaders that spend valuable time blocking the jerks and insisting that interactions are appropriate, supportive, and friendly both in the challenges and throughout the whole forum.

Sincerely, Thank you!  I really get into this place.  espacially when I'm putting in real effort to getting stronger and healthier

@Hansjay  your thoughtfulness is appreciated and I'll make sure to include anything that my daughter might be struggling (to the extent that I CAN)  within the challenge.

its truly not easy , sometimes, to know what to say.

and I fear that although I've seen alot some of my own experience just isn't really as relevant as I'd like it to be...

Wonderful! She sounds just like me when it comes to advice: stubborn and defensive! In my very flawed-but-honest-millenial opinion, before taking any step, she should ask herself two questions: will my new major be a chore or something I would enjoy very much and does it align with my long term goals. If the answer to both of them are yes then she should take the plunge because if it makes you happy and is something you see yourself doing and being good at then, definitely, the risk is worth it!

• Thanks 1

I think I ought to warn those people folowing me on strava that now might not be the easiest time to follow me.  (and I JUST picked up a few more followers too!)

I just updated by mobile connection and as a consequence a whole lot of training just "pyched" in.  

the good news is that runs might be easier to follow and understand from here out. even if I don't update the watch.

• Like 4

What a great trail hiking/cleaning trip you had! Such father-son times are precious...

Btw, I've seen your Polar is now fully connected to Strava, yay! :) Then, if you don't already have it, you just need a compatible HRM strap (there are good deals for H7 on ebay), and you have all you need for half training, while saving a great deal of money!

• Like 1

ok, patience with me

this might not be the most of exciting of posts.  I was going to further plan my running plans in my journal- but I'm a little short on time and it'll be easier to write it here and copy into my journal

Running is doing good!  OTOH.... I think It needs some tweaks

• First lets establish 3 running routes that I do nearly all the time
  • I did some rough calculations/mapwork online and I got it!  three courses from 3.5-5.3miles long.  lets generally run THOSE week after week so I can cleanly compare weekly progress without a never ending changes in routes.
  • I'm working on making Strava "segment" on these routes to give me more tools in comparing my speed against myself and maybe even against others.
  • I need to better incorporate run/walk intervals so that I don't run too much, give my body a chance to relax between running intervals, and lastly a chance to make my running pace as high as possible.

the specific plan (per course is as follows)*

the "short" day lots of intervals, smaller distance  3.5miles  Irvandale/Lexington... so some modest hill climbing.   

5 mins warmup  (5:2 running -walking) X5 Intervals  6mins cooldown     .... 25minutes running

Segments:  I will make an interval called "Irvendale" and "Lexington" to judge weekly progress.....

the "medium" day less intervals, longer. 4.5miles.   Lawn Avenue. a smallish hill

5mins warmup (10:6 running-walking) X3 Intervals 7mins cooldown   .... 30minutes running

Segments:  There is already 2 intervals on this route... "Lawn Avenue Climb" and "Prospect; madison to 5th street"

the "Long" day.  much more running.almost no interval at all.   Dorcon.  flat

6mins warmup (25 mins running - 5mins walking -25mins running. .... 50minutes running

Segments:   I just made the Strava segment called "Dorcon".  for a segment its on the long side of things.

I was able to calculate the time each course took with an assumption of a 4.5mph speed.  this is 13.3minute miles and is a good aproximation of my running speed.

Another interesting thing I did last night.  I looked back in last years notes.  I had 30runs from Nov 17-Apr 18.

I showed a nice progressive speedup from Nov-March.   and in late March I clearly gave up running.  at that point I was running a 5k in 11:30min-mile (ish).

I'd be very happy to see me return to that pace.

that is my goal.   I want to get back to a 5k speed of sub 12 minmile.  if in 12 weeks I can hold that pace for the half marathon... my finish would be 2:37.

yeah in the world of running a half marathon 2:37 isn't very impressive- but it IS an ambitious goal for me at this point!

YES.  I've pretty much Made up my mind to do the ROAD half marathon rather than the slightly longer trail race on October 12th.  its a win! this year to find a race so very close to me.

*PS those are the three specific course I want to do over and over again.  seperate of THAT.  I will need to (occasionally) do 3 other runs to advance as a runner.

1)  the "long" day isn't long enough espacially after a while to properly train me on a half marathon.  the road for that is Hemlock road- a long rolling road, that is actually part of the route of the October race.  I can go half ways up and then return.  and I can do that Longer and longer as weeks go by.  I don't think its neccesary to do that EVERY week but I think I will need to ensure I go from 5 to 10miles ; at maybe only 1 miles longer each time.

2) I liked what I did last week about running IN the YMCA indoor track.  because its perfectly flat and indoors I can push myself to much faster pace than I would be comfortable in another setting.  this would be like a Tempo run or maybe even "strides".  OTOH I'm a pretty new runner so there is probably NOT the need to do this often.  again every Other week?

3) Lastly; Trail running.  the local state park has several trails.  they are short and near a lot of parking so there are great for the beginnings of a trail runner.  as  a Hiker I've always liked the well groomed penny run. it would probably one of the best trail runs in the park.  its not very long though.  should I combine it with a run along the asphalt road that goes through the park, or perhaps do laps on this little 1.8mile trail?  idk.  I don't quite have trail running worked out in my head.

I'll get there!  but if my big challenge is a Road half marathon- it maybe less important.

• Like 5

Hat off, TGP, that's how you plan half training!
giphy.gif

I still have to reach that level of organisation. Creating Strava segments for training purposes - brilliant idea, as it really gives more precise data. And congrats on choosing a race! :) So, we're both running road half that weekend. So cool!

Regarding trail running, at this point you can take it for recovery/relief and diversity purposes, to maintain your fitness while avoiding stress of constant pounding on the asphalt and using the same muscles. No need for any pace training on trails - just run at the comfortable pace and enjoy it for its own sake while taking a rest from focused half training. Here's a great TP article about incorporating trail running into (half)marathon training. Actually, that very piece prompted me to start trail running 4mo ago. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just got done with my morning run 

"Prospect to Lawn Avenue" is an unexpectedly well designed run!

• by co-incidence despite Long intervals,  my training segments neatly falls on Running intervals
  • ! I'm actually NOT last on the "lawn Avenue" training segment when compared to everyone else.  (ok this should excite me SOOO much- but in the Warren Running community- I was sure I would be dead last on any training segment for a LONG, long time)
  • a light passing drizzle kept everything rather wet
  • this is a more hilly route than I thought it was.  like 400' of elevation change
  • I need just a Tiny bit more tweaking to it.  the way I have it.... run-walk intervals End with a cool-down.  this makes for too much walking.  I need to include a "last" (short) running lap
  • the first time I've run with my interval timer. it worked really well!  now, I know my watches does this... by the Polar M400 watch isn't particularly good  at it. it doesn't include a loud beep so you know to switch.  I had problems with this with my c25k but by the time I bought it my program had to end.

so generally I'm happy and pleased with the morning run.

Strava looks like its going to work nicely with my watch.  as Matt says the only thing to add is a heart rate strap.  we'll see.  I still think I ought to update my watch.   the updated watch includes heart rate functionality WITHOUT a seperate strap.  that could be very convenient.

Friday is looking blazing hot! and I think its going to ruin a fishing plan I was going to have with my sun.  well ok.  we'll move it towards a new weekend.

it doesn't get into the 90's  in my area very often at all.

PS.

just to say STRAVA is a strange site, in a way.  I'm finally getting some local runners following ME... but there's really no way to say "hello" and introduce myself (or vice versa).  I get the feeling I could potentially join a small community of people that run in my area. and there is no Running club that I'm aware of.

perhaps I will meet some of these guys on the race in October.

PPS

my wife got up early so this was my chance officially to let my wife know that I am becoming a runner and this is going to be my new thing.  I didn't expect too much excitement about it.  my wife feels running is damaging to knees and joints; a widespread myth with a small degree of truth behind it.

anyways she knows I'm passionate about everything I do.  so it was kind like, do you HAVE to do running?

[ME] Yes, Dear, I do.

• Like 5

Whoo, look at that plan! I like how in-depth you are with your planning for your run training. I'm super impressed with your plans and your dedication. You're doing great!

• Like 1

On 7/17/2019 at 2:11 PM, TGP said:

Strava looks like its going to work nicely with my watch.  as Matt says the only thing to add is a heart rate strap.  we'll see.  I still think I ought to update my watch.   the updated watch includes heart rate functionality WITHOUT a seperate strap.  that could be very convenient.

Yes, it's definitely convenient to have it on the watch, and on good watches (i.e. Polar, Garmin, Suunto) generally accurate, though some would argue not accurate enough (as it's optical and sometimes tends to lock with cadence, or has difficulty in colder weather). But I found it's well within the acceptable margins. The only thing when it's obvious that strap is more accurate is during interval training (optical HR takes more time to register quick HR changes). But nothing disastrous. You still get pretty solid HR data on a good watch, and M430, that you plan to buy, is reputed as particularly accurate (see tests under 'HEART RATE SENSOR ACCURACY').

PS.

just to say STRAVA is a strange site, in a way.  I'm finally getting some local runners following ME... but there's really no way to say "hello" and introduce myself (or vice versa).  I get the feeling I could potentially join a small community of people that run in my area. and there is no Running club that I'm aware of.

perhaps I will meet some of these guys on the race in October.

Yeah, Strava is a peculiar mix of a fitness app and a social network, but the latter is subordinated to the former. So, all social interactions are based around workouts - you give kudos and comment under the specific workouts and that's it. There are also clubs to join, like NF, where there are additional posts and discussions, but if there aren't hundreds of members, there aren't much updates (except weekly leaderboards). And yeah, you'll definitely meet some locals on Strava who will be on the race. Also, it's cool when you actually run the race that Strava will shows you afterwards which persons ran the most similar route to you, and then you get to know those people that you saw were running near you.

PPS

my wife got up early so this was my chance officially to let my wife know that I am becoming a runner and this is going to be my new thing.  I didn't expect too much excitement about it.  my wife feels running is damaging to knees and joints; a widespread myth with a small degree of truth behind it.

anyways she knows I'm passionate about everything I do.  so it was kind like, do you HAVE to do running?

Haha, yes, it's just as you say - myth with a small degree of truth behind it. You COULD get injured while running if you DON'T do research and plan like you do. If you run in an appropriate form, have appropriate shoes, know how to warm up and cool down (stretch), know how much and how quickly to push yourself, and do even some core strength exercises, injury is almost not possible. And you, in particular, with already strong core from hiking, have even less to fear. Also, running injuries are mostly cumulative, and you can detect the problem well before it develops into injury and do appropriate changes. While in other sports (basketball, football, etc.), you get badly injured without any warning and in most stupid ways, and people don't rave about it. But yeah, the myth had been disseminated, and then we have to soothe the worries of our dear ones. :)

• Like 1

On 7/18/2019 at 3:31 AM, Elastigirl said:

Glad you found an exercise goal and activity that motivates you and you enjoy!

Says me too... Glad you are enjoying it and the positive vibes are almost jumping off the page :D Enjoy it!

• Like 1

I was checking out old Records and I found nearly ALL my 2017-2018 runs; or at least my watch's elapsed time and distance.

this gives me an interesting opportunity to study how my recent runs stand up to where I was at (and how I was evolving in 2018).   SO i did the following equation

for each run .... Distance/3  + 13minute*mile/pace

so a 3.0 mile run at 13 mmile is 100%

now All of 2017-2018 and 2019

gNGOTj0.png

• There's a lot of "noise" in the data. yes I know.  keep in mind running a 3.0mile course pushes the number down and running a 4.0mile pushes it up.   this SHOULD be compensated by the difference in pace- but I know it isn't.  Also not shown are hills.   Hilly courses would reduce speed; relative to its distance so its not an easy thing to see... but...
  • YOU CAN see progession in the 2017/2018 data!  note that the first several runs were around 100% and towards the end it got to be 125%
  • when you dig into WHY. a lot of it was pace.  I pushed my pace from 13.5 to 11.5 (ish)!  it took three months but yes, I made myself undeniably faster
  • NOW the 2019 data;  you'll notice that its way up there- thats NOT pace
  • mostly thats the long runs I'm doing.  Pace is way down. part of that is the walking.  but I think its good that I'm tackling further distance(s).  
  • Given my goal I shouldn't stick to 5k!  instead I'm pushing up toward 10k- which is good. I'm GOING the distance & not going SO slow enough to push down my performance relative to 2017-2018

and THAT is the gist of the whole thing!

anyways I very intersting graph indeed.  I enjoyed seeing in "black/white" how much I advanced in 2017/2018.  I look forward to doing that THIS year...  I'll keep this data and graph for motivational purposes....

PS

Its undeniable that i have so much more passion in my life now that I have something to "obsess" over.  I think this is Just HOW I am wired.  I must seek some personally inspirational goal.  something I can barely imagine accomplishing and something that will take great efforts.

I feel it!

• Like 6

16 hours ago, TGP said:

Its undeniable that i have so much more passion in my life now that I have something to "obsess" over.  I think this is Just HOW I am wired.  I must seek some personally inspirational goal.  something I can barely imagine accomplishing and something that will take great efforts.

Yip, for some that is how it works. I think I fall into this category to some extend. When I find something that I'm passionate about and want to accomplish something, or prove something to myself, then I give a lot to it, go for it. Otherwise I just plod along and try to maintain a good enough basic fitness. I do however struggle to build up passion for something.

• Like 1

I love the way you dug into data to see how are you doing! :encouragement: And yup, you're doing what you should be doing in training for a half. What good would it be to be able to run fast, but only for 5k? So yeah, it's right that you're prioritizing the distance. You'll be able to work on pace afterwards. And even if you don't see it becoming faster, you'll be able to run 21k, however 'slow', and that's what's important.

• Like 1

Hey Liz!

Lets put it this way.  By Saturday morning me and my son were feeling frustrated.  we went to the store (and talked about it)  while my wife tried to sleep off a headache.

the plan WAS that saturday, particularly, (which incidentally was a Dangerously hot and humid day all through the Eastern USA) we were going to visit distant relatives of my wife and the day was spoken for.

those plans were ruined by the headache.  THAT was ok.  I understand headaches, get them myself.  but What about the rest of the day?  it was a relatively useable summer day without thunderstorms,etc. yes it was hot but that has never stopped us before from doing things on saturday.  it seemed wrong to waste it; and although there was a lot to do outside- we should have our chance to do something enjoyable.

something would HAVE to be said when my wife got up.

so we talked about it and schemed to go fishing Saturday night.  maybe the wife wouldn't like it; but brennon was going to get some sleep so he wasn't tired and I was going to work on caging up our blueberries; as I knew that was bothering jenn  ( a dozen blueberry bushes outside were being eating up by all the birds).

my wife work up and helped with the netting.

-----

"fishing" maybe doesn't describe why this trip was important and why it was difficult to do it.

Without being too tedious to describe it all... our area lacks places where you can catch great numbers of smaller "panfish" and the like.   This is ok; if you've got great patience and/or a boat and a lot of time.  we do NOT have a boat.  and my son has been running out of patience lately.   TOO MANY fishing trips without enough catching.  but he's been feeling frustrated.  it has been PAST time for me to find a good place with panfish -a place to remind him that fishing doesn't HAVE to be endless boring waiting.

so the Point is that it was a drive!  quite a long drive to a better place.  1 hour to go just the one way!   we started right at sunset.   AT first, I thought it might have been a big mistake.  the sky was full of lightning and there was a huge wall of thunderstorms.  the radar insisted though that the storm would fizzle out... and it did!  but nearly over our head.  we watched the storm pounded heavy rain over our car as the storm rained itself out.  within minutes.... the storm vanished and we were hearing the frogs of shoreline of the little lake.  another small annoyance;  just a little down the road was  a big group of loud fishermen.  my son quietly wondered how they could hope to catch any fish, as loud as they were!?  well, they were clearly NOT catching any fish.

but we started to do nicely.  a sharp little tug on my son's fishing rod had him excited and not thinking of the guys next door.  eventually they left and the night became nicer and nicer.   the night was so comfortable!  the last quarter moon peered out against a few small clouds in the sky.  Brennon had brought a candlelit latern and I had to admit; I was so pleasantly surprised how well it worked.  a small little light that didn't draw bugs or blind the eyes with enough light to see the fish pull  our the fishing bobbers hung to show a bite.

SO we got our fun time!  nearly a dozen chunky little catfish (called bullheads) put some food in the freezer. the rest of the weekend was busy and hot.

----

I think I will have to post pics of the garden. it is looking nice!

also...

this week and upcoming weekend is going to be pretty fun- if the weather cooperates.  brennon and I are planning a big campout from Friday-Sunday...

• Like 3

Sounds like it ended really well (although i dont like fishing!!!!!) 

please do post images of the garden :) mines looking shit :( 

oooooh ill be camping this weekend too !!!! x

• Like 1

? too boring?  not a fan of slimy fish??

anyways, its a great way to enjoy the outdoors and do something useful to get food.   fresh fish is a very healthy food; especially baked!

Brennon dreams of being very independent and perhaps living deep in the forest of Alaska or Maine growing/fishing/hunting all his own food.  a "bush" guy like some you might see on some TV shows.  He Wants to work on those skills.  it is really Nice to do stuff with brennon that he is passionate about.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TGP said:

? too boring?  not a fan of slimy fish??

anyways, its a great way to enjoy the outdoors and do something useful to get food.   fresh fish is a very healthy food; especially baked!

Brennon dreams of being very independent and perhaps living deep in the forest of Alaska or Maine growing/fishing/hunting all his own food.  a "bush" guy like some you might see on some TV shows.  He Wants to work on those skills.  it is really Nice to do stuff with brennon that he is passionate about.

Hypocritical cos i eat meat.....i hate hunting!!!!!! 

Id like it if the fish were put back ;)

Brennon sounds like he has a good life planned out. x

• Like 1

yeah its a different lifestyle.  we here in Rural america are very independent folks.

for some, if they have a burger its because they farmed it!  

-----

anyways.  your camping too?  how awesome!  are you going to the lake district?

my camping plans are still a little undefined.  I have to take the weather into consideration.  recently its been mostly dry- but when it rains they've been big towering thunderstorms and I do not want to be camping out in that.

the campout will be part of a three day event where a bunch of people will be working on clearing up the North country trail.

brennon is trying to get 20hours of volunteer time over the summer, to work on clearing up hiking trails.  so this weekend is of special significance for that.  I think much of that requirement will be done.  it will also , possibly, be a very athletic week for me as I need to get my runs all done by Thursday.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TGP said:

anyways.  your camping too?  how awesome!  are you going to the lake district?

music festival!!!! In the Peak District. We hired a camper van but im likely to be in the tent next to the van.... (my housemates partner is going now too) 

x

you know I hadn't really caught on that these are IN FACT two seperate places (til now)..

I guess I had  supposed that the "PEAKS" separated the "LAKES" or something.

not exactly

per google.  different places.

https://www.wanderlust.co.uk/content/lake-district-or-peak-district-versus-hiking-wildlife-activities-culture/

so the Lake district is Actually a little more mountainous?  and yet you call it the Peaks!? how bizarre

perhaps they should have named the places a little better

the "MOUNTAIN LAKES" district  versus the "ROLLING hill" district  ;)

anyways a camper van /tent /music festival sounds brilliant!  

• Like 1

Yay for  protecting your blueberries! My husband built the coolest cage out of PVC pip and bird netting. Works really well. Then he can just dismantle the piping in the fall, and reassemble it in the summer. We are just now starting to get blueberries.

I always thought of fishing as boring. Maybe I would enjoy it more  if I actually caught fish! That sounds like a sweet time with your son. Good for you for putting in the effort to find  good fishing spot

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TGP said:

you know I hadn't really caught on that these are IN FACT two seperate places (til now)..

I guess I had  supposed that the "PEAKS" separated the "LAKES" or something.

not exactly

per google.  different places.

https://www.wanderlust.co.uk/content/lake-district-or-peak-district-versus-hiking-wildlife-activities-culture/

so the Lake district is Actually a little more mountainous?  and yet you call it the Peaks!? how bizarre

perhaps they should have named the places a little better

the "MOUNTAIN LAKES" district  versus the "ROLLING hill" district  ;)

Yeah two different places haha.... Peaks are maybe 1 hour from me, Lakes are 3 hours!! Maybe 2.5 if i drive fast :P

1 hour ago, TGP said:

anyways a camper van /tent /music festival sounds brilliant!  

Im excited! x