• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

AmayaDances

Amaya tackles the to-do

Wow. These last two weeks have just flown by, and I’ve been not great at updating.

The past two weeks have also been an emotional rollercoster, to say the very least.

We got there the first weekend (13th) and it was… just awful! It was super disorganized, there were rumors that some entertainment acts hadn’t been provided lodging so they left before the event even started (I couldn’t actually confirm that anyone was missing) and some vendors and acts didn’t come back for Sunday at all. We had been told there would be a schedule for the entertainment, but there wasn’t, so we just made up our own. We really tried to make the best of it, but I totally got home Monday and had a good cry. I think a lot of it was just the atmosphere that first Saturday – everyone was upset and uncertain and most were just complaining instead of trying to do anything. I was super frustrated.

This past weekend was better organized, but small, and the organizer decided to pull the plug for this year. Which sucks, but is also a slight relief since he wasn’t sure what our lodging was going to look like next week. I’m still hopeful about next year – I think there’s potential, and that he just bit off more than he could chew this time around. I did get to meet some awesome folks since the entertainment acts that were left sort of banded together to make the best of it that we could – we created a sort of schedule and looked out for each other and served as crowd reinforcements for the joust (some of my crew actually ended up working in the list). One gal is an aerial artist from our side of the state, so I’m actually super excited to get to know her better!

I wasn’t very good at tracking, but both weeks I did get nice (and needed!) yoga session in. Last weekend’s was the best because I was outside, on the grass, and in a small little North Dakota town so I could see plenty of stars! It was a heart-happy moment. I also feel confident that my food was mostly on path, though my phone was in use most of the time playing music, so I wasn’t able to track in the moment. It was lots of veggies: cold, crisp veggies.

In any case, I’m now hit with the prospect of adjusting back to normal-ish life a lot sooner than I anticipated. I may create a summer class (I didn’t have a session planned until October), and look forward to what I want to do next.

Oh, and I’ll see what I can salvage from this week and try to hit those original goals!

• Like 3

Events like that are always a lot more work than anyone realizes until they've done it, so it's understandable for people to get overwhelmed.  Sorry you got caught in the middle of it.  Depending on your own time commitment and how well you worked with the organizer(s), you could consider helping with the entertainment planning for next year.  Even just someone to help take calls and write a schedule is one less thing for him to worry about.  And having people show interest makes it more likely to happen again.

Glad to hear you made the most of it, met new people, and got some quality outdoor time. :smile-new:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AmayaDances said:

We got there the first weekend (13th) and it was… just awful! It was super disorganized, there were rumors that some entertainment acts hadn’t been provided lodging so they left before the event even started (I couldn’t actually confirm that anyone was missing) and some vendors and acts didn’t come back for Sunday at all. We had been told there would be a schedule for the entertainment, but there wasn’t, so we just made up our own. We really tried to make the best of it, but I totally got home Monday and had a good cry. I think a lot of it was just the atmosphere that first Saturday – everyone was upset and uncertain and most were just complaining instead of trying to do anything. I was super frustrated.

Oh gosh, that does not sound good at all. I'm sorry to hear that the organization was just totally not there. Do you think the guy who was running it will maybe like expand his planning team or something to address it in the future?

One gal is an aerial artist from our side of the state, so I’m actually super excited to get to know her better!

Ooh, yay! Hope you guys can hang out more. 

I wasn’t very good at tracking, but both weeks I did get nice (and needed!) yoga session in. Last weekend’s was the best because I was outside, on the grass, and in a small little North Dakota town so I could see plenty of stars!

Ahhh, stargazing!! One of my favorite things when I get outside the city.

In any case, I’m now hit with the prospect of adjusting back to normal-ish life a lot sooner than I anticipated. I may create a summer class (I didn’t have a session planned until October), and look forward to what I want to do next.

Normalcy isn't the worst thing to return to, usually. :) Good luck figuring out your summer plans! 

• Like 1

Challenge is over already?

That sure flew by. I really wish I had been able to keep up with everyone else’s threads this time around! Anyway, I figure a wrap up is due here before next week!

Overall, I give myself a solid B for this challenge. I didn’t achieve everything all the way, but I partly achieved most of everything.

Things I did well:

- Track food, mostly. This because a little tricky during the travel and weekends since I use an app and I had absolutely no reception at the fest site or in the little town. But, while it was hard to track during those times, I was also always on track because I was mostly eating veggies and drinking water. I kept the soda and junk from pit stops to a minimum (but also, if I’m still on the road at 2 am, I won’t stop myself from grabbing an extra coffee and a pastry – it’s all about balance).

- Manage the Stress. Especially considering all the extra stress that I was not anticipating. I managed to keep a good and relatively positive attitude about 90% of the time, which is a win as far as I’m concerned.

- Lots of movement. That goes without saying really!

- Smash the to-do list. There’s just one thing I think I decided to skip (mending my purse – I just used a different bag), everything else was ready to go by fest time!

- HAD FUN – made new friends, petted horses, and had some swell road-trip time with my sister.

Things I did less well:

- Hitting the gym. This was a real struggle just because I was soooooo drained from extra rehearsals and performances. Even last week, after we got the news and knew we weren’t traveling this past weekend, I took on an extra gig (fundraiser for local community theatre because I love them) and extra dancing (we had a farewell-fest dance party by the river) – so there wasn’t a lack of movement, but there was a lack of conditioning and cross training.

- Bringing lunches to work. Something I feel like I am always working on! It will stick eventually.

• Like 5

Good challenge indeed, congrats.

4 hours ago, AmayaDances said:

- Hitting the gym. This was a real struggle just because I was soooooo drained from extra rehearsals and performances. Even last week, after we got the news and knew we weren’t traveling this past weekend, I took on an extra gig (fundraiser for local community theatre because I love them) and extra dancing (we had a farewell-fest dance party by the river) – so there wasn’t a lack of movement, but there was a lack of conditioning and cross training.

Personal opinion, I'd still call this a win, but it depends on what your ultimate goal was. Definitely sounds like you got lots of exercise in, just... not at the gym. From a fitness pov, still awesome job. Don't forget to give your body rest time to recover. :) 

• Like 2

Good challenge indeed, congrats.

Personal opinion, I'd still call this a win, but it depends on what your ultimate goal was. Definitely sounds like you got lots of exercise in, just... not at the gym. From a fitness pov, still awesome job. Don't forget to give your body rest time to recover.  

I feel, ultimately, like it was a 3/4 win. Only because the biggest part of this goal was about making sure I did something during the week, outside of performance, and that’s the part I feel I didn’t quite reach. But yes, rest is really the order for this week!

You also forgot to post costume pics.

Thankfully, I can remedy that, at least partly In looking back, it seems there’s at least one day where I can’t find any photos of me. Granted, my phone was generally being used for our music.

407b958982d3bc33b55777f04f675ba0.jpg

c6011cb53f52f1ea45f33ec578a13971.jpg

ca6de80e1091c91023964e3a191df208.jpg (this is here mostly because my sister made that flower head piece and I totally love it!!)

And a bonus from the fundraiser: I’m really getting some mileage out of that new choli I made!

1f2f262e36e2c53b929af8cad22a1796.jpg

• Like 3

Is that the pinkish fabric you found? It looks great. I love the dark green top (biased, green is my favorite color) but they all look really good. 

• Like 1

Is that the pinkish fabric you found? It looks great. I love the dark green top (biased, green is my favorite color) but they all look really good. 

It is!! I’m happy with how it turned out since it was my first time really trying that pattern.

And that green top is near and dear to my heart, my dance partner and I have matching-ish ones. I made the bases and we embellished our own. I have enough trim to make more for our far-away dance sisters, and I really should get on that!!

For ref: mah dance partner and her ingenious use of necklace as belly-drape.
879e41a4b4cf1925074abffbef6edab3.jpg
  • Like 3