• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

snowkc

Snowkc Gets Back to Basics

OOOOkkkay. I'm back! With Brooklyn 99 gifs, as promised. 

giphy.gif

Yea, I was.  It's been a good/bad time over here! Things are fine, but anything extra just seemed like too much for a little while there.  Work has exploded with busy-ness and there's been a fair amount of personal stuff going on too.

Feels Feelings GIF - Feels Feelings Awkward GIFs

So I went into survival mode, mixed with comfort food, more alcohol (not a ton, just more frequent than usual for me), and laziness.  

Brooklyn99 Brooklyn Nine Nine GIF - Brooklyn99 BrooklynNineNine GinaLinetti GIFs

As anyone could have predicted, I'm not sleeping as well, my aches and pains are back, and I'm generally just not feeling great. I still think I needed a break from extras, but here we are.

So, back to basics.

1. Do something active every day, preferably for 30 minutes.  Ideally, working out and picking up heavy things will happen, but I will also accept hiking, yoga, stretching, and even Wizards Unite outings (as long as I actually walk some and don't just park myself somewhere). 

2. Say no to something at work.  Literally, just saying no once, and I'll be happy for the challenge. 

3. Sleep 7 hours per night, 6 days per week.

4. Drink 10+ cups of water, 6 days per week.  

It's gonna be great.

Brooklyn Nine Nine Andy Samberg GIF - BrooklynNineNine AndySamberg JakePeralta GIFs

• Like 7

Woo!!! Sounds like you've got some approachable goals and some great self-knowledge of what you want to work on. Here to cheer you on!

• Like 1

Excellent. Saying "no" is a great skill to have, and doing something active every day is a good thing to prioritise. Happy challenging! 

What is Wizards Unite? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, snowkc said:

2. Say no to something at work.  Literally, just saying no once, and I'll be happy for the challenge. 

If you figure out how to do this, let me know because I desperately need to learn that one

• Like 1

On 6/27/2019 at 9:00 AM, Harriet said:

What is Wizards Unite? 

I want to know this as well. It's advertised everywhere on my phone, and it annoys me. 

On 6/27/2019 at 11:36 AM, JustCallMeAmber said:

I was looking for a gif of someone waving and I found this instead:

giphy.gif

That is terrifying. Make it stop!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, scalyfreak said:
On 6/27/2019 at 9:00 AM, Harriet said:

What is Wizards Unite? 

I want to know this as well. It's advertised everywhere on my phone, and it annoys me. 

It's a Harry Potter version of Pokemon Go.  Made by the same people. It's a silly and fun reason to go wander around outside to look for stuff and play the game. A few of my family members and a couple of friends are into it too, so it's been a good excuse to go for walks with them too.  (The dog hates it though. "Why are we stopping so much?!")

• Like 2

3 hours ago, snowkc said:

It's a Harry Potter version of Pokemon Go.  Made by the same people. It's a silly and fun reason to go wander around outside to look for stuff and play the game. A few of my family members and a couple of friends are into it too, so it's been a good excuse to go for walks with them too.  (The dog hates it though. "Why are we stopping so much?!")

Hmmmm. In a few months, when some of the bugs have been patched out, that might be fun to try.

How fast does it kill the battery?

21 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Hmmmm. In a few months, when some of the bugs have been patched out, that might be fun to try.

How fast does it kill the battery?

Good point on the bugs. I forget sometimes that I'm pretty lucky in that regard. We have some, but it's not terrible.

As for the battery, if you leave on the "augmented reality," it kills the battery really quickly.  Turning that off helps alot, but it is still a drain for sure.

Quick Zero Week Check In!

I won't go over goals in detail for zero week, but I did try to build up some momentum. I did something active every day but Friday. And yesterday is being sort of generous... I did some stretching, but it counts! Close-ish on sleep. According to the fitbit, I'm getting about 6.5 hours per night, which does mean I'm in bed at least 7 hours, so that counts for something. Water is okay. As long as I remember to bring my big water bottle to work, I do okay, otherwise I forget. So, lesson learned. Saying no to things at work... not so much. I did skip out on a conference, which was good, but I also worked all weekend, so... not great. 

Good to be back with goals! I brought my gym bag and packed a lunch today, so winning!  One thing I've found recently is that working out in the middle of the day has been really helpful for stress management and productivity (otherwise I just wanna nap in the afternoon).  My office has an okay little gym, but no barbells, which is sad.  So, I'm wondering, does anyone have a dumbbell/kettle bell routine that they like? (They also have a cable machine.)  

Happy July and new challenge everyone!

• Like 5

Good point on the bugs. I forget sometimes that I'm pretty lucky in that regard. We have some, but it's not terrible.

Hehe, I think she meant software bugs, not insect bugs. :D

Quick Zero Week Check In!

I won't go over goals in detail for zero week, but I did try to build up some momentum. I did something active every day but Friday. And yesterday is being sort of generous... I did some stretching, but it counts! Close-ish on sleep. According to the fitbit, I'm getting about 6.5 hours per night, which does mean I'm in bed at least 7 hours, so that counts for something. Water is okay. As long as I remember to bring my big water bottle to work, I do okay, otherwise I forget. So, lesson learned. Saying no to things at work... not so much. I did skip out on a conference, which was good, but I also worked all weekend, so... not great. 

Heyo, progress on a buncha fronts still! And even one "no" is still progress on that front, right?

Good to be back with goals! I brought my gym bag and packed a lunch today, so winning!  One thing I've found recently is that working out in the middle of the day has been really helpful for stress management and productivity (otherwise I just wanna nap in the afternoon).  My office has an okay little gym, but no barbells, which is sad.  So, I'm wondering, does anyone have a dumbbell/kettle bell routine that they like? (They also have a cable machine.)  

Paging @RedStone - pretty sure she's either written or used a purely dumbbell routine in the past to good results. Pretty sure you could do worse than DB versions of the major lifts (plus some rowing and/or chin / pull ups) but I'll let the real expert weigh in.

Happy week 1!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Definitely. The insect variety are gross.

4 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Paging @RedStone - pretty sure she's either written or used a purely dumbbell routine in the past to good results. Pretty sure you could do worse than DB versions of the major lifts (plus some rowing and/or chin / pull ups) but I'll let the real expert weigh in.

Nia Shanks has a very good dumbbell routine I fall back on every time I travel and the hotel gym has nothing but dumbbells: https://www.niashanks.com/lift-like-a-girl-dumbbell-workout/

I know I'm not RedStone, but having options is never a bad thing :)

1 hour ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Ha! That makes sense. But I can also see not wanting to wander around when you're getting eaten alive... So either way works?

53 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Nia Shanks has a very good dumbbell routine I fall back on every time I travel and the hotel gym has nothing but dumbbells: https://www.niashanks.com/lift-like-a-girl-dumbbell-workout/

Ah! Thank you! I forget about Nia Shanks and I should not... I think I've liked everything I've read from her.

18 hours ago, snowkc said:

working out in the middle of the day has been really helpful for stress management and productivity (otherwise I just wanna nap in the afternoon)

Working out sounds like a great way to beat out the after-lunch sleep goblins :) 

18 hours ago, snowkc said:

My office has an okay little gym, but no barbells, which is sad.  So, I'm wondering, does anyone have a dumbbell/kettle bell routine that they like? (They also have a cable machine.)  

A little gym is way better than none at all.    Another good resource for workouts (although it tends to be somewhat bodyweight focused) is Darebee

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 9:14 AM, snowkc said:

One thing I've found recently is that working out in the middle of the day has been really helpful for stress management and productivity

This is true for sure... 

I found that just taking a break in the middle of the day can help reset your brain too.  Sometimes I would unconsciously solve a problem I was dealing with just by going to the gym for a bit.  My current job doesn't allow it too often, but it is still something I try to work in as possible.  

• Like 2

On 7/3/2019 at 11:53 AM, Legolas "Cap" Greenleaf said:

I found that just taking a break in the middle of the day can help reset your brain too.  Sometimes I would unconsciously solve a problem I was dealing with just by going to the gym for a bit.  My current job doesn't allow it too often, but it is still something I try to work in as possible.  

This is such a great thought. I really do need to just create some space to let my brain stew on stuff. I also kind of wish I could take a quick nap in the middle of the day for the same reason, but I can't really see how I could pull that off... 

Week 1 Wrap Up:

1. Do something active every day, preferably for 30 minutes.  I've done well on this! And in a fun way! Over the 4th of July holiday, we did a 5K and went stand up paddle boarding at a lake in the mountains! I've also re-discovered swimming. It felt soo good--I felt so much looser after. It's the first time I haven't felt like the tin man in a while.  I scoped out two rec centers with public lap swimming. This week's goal is to experiment with different times to see when lanes are open. The next goal will be to get into a groove with weightlifting and swimming. I think they'll complement each other well. Weight bearing for bones and muscles; swimming for recovery and conditioning. 

2. Say no to something at work.  Literally, just saying no once, and I'll be happy for the challenge. Half-credit on this one. I didn't go to a conference that I could have. I didn't realize that I was supposed to go when I declined the invitation, so it wasn't really a bold saying no... but it was helpful to not have that time suck.

3. Sleep 7 hours per night, 6 days per week. Not great. Only 4 days. I had a couple that were close to 7, but I'd like to be between 7-8, not close to 7.  I need to do a better job of protecting my sleep. I'm hoping for improvement in this area with more working out and the new goal (see #5). 

4. Drink 10+ cups of water, 6 days per week.  Didn't track this too carefully, but generally did well. Especially with the next goal, I'm drinking a lot of bubble water.

5. Bonus Goal: Dry July.  I hadn't decided if I was going to do this at the beginning of the challenge, but I'm a week with no booze, so I guess I'm doing it.  I'm not a huge drinker anyway, but I was seeing it starting to creep up to "help me wind down," which is actually really counter-productive for me.  Sadly, I've learned that, if I even have 1 drink, I will get acid reflux and I will wake up in the middle of the night.  I end up sleep deprived and more stressed out. So, in the interest of no tummy troubles and better sleep, here we go.  

Happy Week 2 everyone!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, snowkc said:

I didn't realize that I was supposed to go when I declined the invitation

Ha. So you were accidentally assertive. That's a start.

Let us know how the swimming goes. There are pools at the uni that I could use but I never liked swimming. Everyone else sort of glides through the water like a seal and I just flap about not going anywhere much. I totally agree with you on the alcohol, by the way. Now that I don't drink most days, I've noticed that even a small amount makes my sleep considerably worse, and then I'm less motivated for the whole next day. It's not worth it. 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 10:39 AM, Harriet said:

Let us know how the swimming goes. There are pools at the uni that I could use but I never liked swimming. Everyone else sort of glides through the water like a seal and I just flap about not going anywhere much.

I swam yesterday!  I got lucky and didn't have to share a lane, which was cool.  It seems like a lot of triathletes training. I'll be curious to see if that's a Wednesday thing (like Wednesday is swim workout day) or if that's always the case). I like the rec center I went to--partly because it has a hot tub and sauna. But I want to try to go to a different rec center that has more lanes, but that pool is used for swim teams/lessons/etc., so it's booked more often.  I think a combo is probably going to be the best option.

I think swimming can be hard to get into. I think it can definitely be learned, but stroke form is not necessarily intuitive. I think lessons or a masters program would really help. (I'm starting to poke around for masters programs.)   I did swim team almost every summer growing up (not particularly competitive, but it kept us out of trouble), so my technique isn't terrible. My conditioning is terrible if I compare it to the workouts I used to do, but the motions themselves still feel fairly natural. 

• Like 4

Week 2 Wrap Up!

1. Do something active every day, preferably for 30 minutes.  Medium. Because I'm counting stretching and walking, I think I got 6 days, so okay.  But I've made progress in setting myself up for success going forward. On the swimming side, I'm feeling pretty good about the progress there, and found a great set of workouts to follow for the next month or so.  On the strength side, I've decided to do some less heavy work for a bit--mostly focusing on form and fixing imbalances, which is something I can do at the office gym for now. (e.g. I lean too far forward on my squat, so I'm doing more mobility work and more lunges/bulgarian split squats to help with single leg work.)  I'm also working towards being able to really effectively do push ups.  

giphy.gif

2. Say no to something at work.  Literally, just saying no once, and I'll be happy for the challenge. Win! Someone asked me if I wanted to join a board. I'm already on 3. None of that work is billable, so none if it is actually required for my job and none of it contributes to my job targets. The extras have got to stop. So I said no! Yaaaayyyyy.

giphy.gif

3. Sleep 7 hours per night, 6 days per week. Failing hard. I'm getting 5 hours, then 8.5 hours, then 5 hours for two days, then 8 hours.... I don't like it. I feel crappy with no sleep and sluggish with too much sleep.  But I'm not totally sure how to fix it. A lot of it comes with having a hard day at work, then recovering. So... I don't know. Be more efficient? I'm going to give this a ponder this week. Sleep deprivation is not a good look for me.

giphy.gif

4. Drink 10+ cups of water, 6 days per week.  Easy peasy.  In addition to normal water-drinking, I'm drinking all the bubble water, so this is no problem. 

5. Bonus Goal: Dry July.  Doing good here! Today is Day 15. Woot. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, snowkc said:

Win! Someone asked me if I wanted to join a board. I'm already on 3. None of that work is billable, so none if it is actually required for my job and none of it contributes to my job targets. The extras have got to stop. So I said no! Yaaaayyyyy.

Yesss! Awesome. 

• Like 1

awesome job! regarding sleep: it has taken me a looonnng time to try and get a decent average going. and i'm still not there. in my case, a lot of it has to do with habit. i also feel like it's one of the hardest things to change/improve and typically lower on the totem pole of priorities. hope you see some improvement! it's okay if it takes awhile :) 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

awesome job! regarding sleep: it has taken me a looonnng time to try and get a decent average going. and i'm still not there. in my case, a lot of it has to do with habit. i also feel like it's one of the hardest things to change/improve and typically lower on the totem pole of priorities. hope you see some improvement! it's okay if it takes awhile :) 

Thanks for this.  It's good to remember to be patient...

• Like 1