• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Elastigirl

Elastigirl: Just keep plugging along

22 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Have you guys read Wheel of Time? It's a bit lengthier but I always thought it's a bit of a kindred spirit to LOTR. 

I  enjoyed the first 3 books, but by about the 4th, I was getting really bogged down. Can't remember how far I got, but I stopped at the 4th or 5th book. And now it's been so long I've forgotten it. I would like to read the last books written by Sanderson though

11 minutes ago, TGP said:

I have read (much) of that series of book.  I agree that it it Kindred... but

it was simply too much for me.

there is one of the ten books (4?) that is significantly harder to read.  I think it delves deeply in the aes sedai

as I remember it.

*less black and white than LOTR

* a much more complicated plot; 3 Main characters with intricate and seperate Plot!

* some of it is rather dark.  LOTR generally doesn't linger much in the mind of those who descend into treachery or madness (sarumen/Deneathor)
* you don't get quite the same idea of built mythology/languages/culture.  Instead it seemed more than wheel of time explored pychology- explore the ideas of insanity, masochism/etc. 

idk perhaps I should try to read it again??

I heard that they are working on a film.  if recent films are any indication: I feel very sad for lovers of that book.

there is a good chance some scriptwriter will come and mess up the deep plot of their fav book!

Agreed, the plot was a lot harder to follow. I'm sort of looking forward to the movie though (though I heard TV show ) Then I could catch up with the plot, and skip the middle books were  I was bored, and just read the last couple. But you are right, lovers of the book probably won't like the show. Movies are rarely as good as the book. I did love the LOTR movies. I thought they did a good job. Still, there is so much that you can't cover in movies  as far as what people's thoughts are. 

• Like 1

and maybe as a general rule that the MORE you love the book(s) the more you dislike the movie(s)?

I HATE the movies-  particularly  "Two Towers" and "return of the king"

i felt I couldn't even watch the movies a second time when they came out on blue-ray (though my kids insisted we buy them).

OMG. do I feel that Jackson has deeply wronged some of my favorite characters!

anyways prolly what get me more froth is when people try to tell me "how Close" the LOTR movie/books agree.  wow- do i NOT agree.

they have practically rewritten the book IMHO... (and JRR tolkien is an infinitely better author than whoever "made up" all that stuff in the movie)

anyways, sorry to rant in your challenge. Elastigirl.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TGP said:

and maybe as a general rule that the MORE you love the book(s) the more you dislike the movie(s)?

i felt I couldn't even watch the movies a second time when they came out on blue-ray (though my kids insisted we buy them).

anyways prolly what get me more froth is when people try to tell me "how Close" the LOTR movie/books agree.  wow- do i NOT agree.

they have practically rewritten the book IMHO... (and JRR tolkien is an infinitely better author than whoever "made up" all that stuff in the movie)

No worries. I like fun side discussions/ rants.

I actually  sometimes enjoy movies of my favorite books. As long as I go in with the expectation that the movie isn't going to be good, and may not follow the book. I enjoyed the LoTR movies,  but  didn't like the Hobbit movie.  I did feel like they kept most of the important parts of LoTR, but the Hobbit movies were just all over the place.

Honestly, this, all the way!!
And the hobbit seemed more a rollercoaster ride than something with a plot.
  • Like 1

I loved the LOTR movies, but then I suppose that maybe I don't like the books that much- I'm never tempted to re-read them. I think the WoT world is a lot more complex and displays far more depth without the (boring (to me)) exposition bits that LOTR does. And I suppose I do like the more character development driven story- that's indeed a different between WoT and LOTR.. which also seems like it'd be harder to do in a series. But I am looking forward to the series, like Elastigirl said- usually if you keep an open mind you can enjoy them. 

And also agree with EG about the difference between LOTR movies and the Hobbit movies! 

• Like 2

On 7/19/2019 at 3:30 PM, Elastigirl said:

I  enjoyed the first 3 books, but by about the 4th, I was getting really bogged down. Can't remember how far I got, but I stopped at the 4th or 5th book. And now it's been so long I've forgotten it. I would like to read the last books written by Sanderson though

Ms. Moros is a big WOT fan, and she said that the Brandon Sanderson books at the end were quite good, and wrapped things up in a satisfying way.  I got to about the 7th book of the series before it broke me.  LOTR by comparison seems a lot easier to read, but everyone is different.  I shudder to think of the WOT books as a movie, or even a TV series...

36fbdc8be7f0ca7b37e07b13c265c628.jpg

13 hours ago, Moros said:

Ms. Moros is a big WOT fan, and she said that the Brandon Sanderson books at the end were quite good, and wrapped things up in a satisfying way.  I got to about the 7th book of the series before it broke me.  LOTR by comparison seems a lot easier to read, but everyone is different.  I shudder to think of the WOT books as a movie, or even a TV series...

I got two books into ASOIAF and gave up. The first one was really good. The second one was...a doorstopper about what shirt someone was wearing while they were eating.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I got two books into ASOIAF and gave up. The first one was really good. The second one was...a doorstopper about what shirt someone was wearing while they were eating.

I pretty much agree.  I seem to remember book 5/6 getting more interesting, but that might be a hallucination.  Pro-tip: do not torture someone you think might be destined to save the world.  That is all...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Moros said:

36fbdc8be7f0ca7b37e07b13c265c628.jpg

I was recommended Wheel of Time by people on this forum. I couldn't get into it, but a lot of people love it. 

6 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

What does ASOIAF stand for? I assume something from the WoT , but  too many initials.:smile-new: My summary was a lot of talk about how people felt as they were aimlessly wandering around forever.:friendly_wink: But , like I said to Moros, it has a very loyal following, so I guess everybody has different tastes

42 minutes ago, Moros said:

I pretty much agree.  I seem to remember book 5/6 getting more interesting, but that might be a hallucination.  Pro-tip: do not torture someone you think might be destined to save the world.  That is all...

This is what I've heard. 

4 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

What does ASOIAF stand for? I assume something from the WoT , but  too many initials.:smile-new: My summary was a lot of talk about how people felt as they were aimlessly wandering around forever.:friendly_wink: But , like I said to Moros, it has a very loyal following, so I guess everybody has different tastes

A Song of Ice and Fire, the name for the series that started with Game of Thrones. 

53 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

A Song of Ice and Fire, the name for the series that started with Game of Thrones. 

Ah! I've heard mixed reviews of that. Haven't tried. The series wasn't my thing though, so I probably won't attempt it. 

Weekend was great. We had our church family camp. It was gorgeous weather. Saturday we went on a short trail walk/hike with friends, then played board games with families in the evening. Sunday was church, and swimming, and visiting and just enjoying the day. I look on it as a mini vacation, so I ate junk food,  and enjoyed it. 

Today I weighed and measured myself. I am exactly the same weight and measurements I was a month ago, when I went on maintenance! Plan is now to do a deficit and lose about 5 pounds. Today I'm feeling kind of hungry. The first few days of a deficit are the hardest for me.  Summer has finally arrived here! I spent a bit of time just sitting outside reading. Probably shouldn't have, as I was super slow getting going this morning, but even so I enjoyed the sun. Went for a walk, and worked in the garden a bit. We have our first cucumbers,  and some squash. Made a big salad for dinner tonight, with them and with some kale and chard from our garden as well.  I did have a fake ice cream bar, but it was in my calorie budget. Though, like I said I am still hungry, as that kind of stuff isn't as filling. I bought some frozen treats from Costco that are only 50 calories each, so that should help satisfy my cravings for ice cream without eating more calories than my goal.

• Like 6

50 calorie frozen treats? brilliant. 

Hope you get used to the deficit calories soon! At least summer makes eating salad a lot more pleasant somehow. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 2:38 AM, KB Girl said:

50 calorie frozen treats? brilliant. 

Hope you get used to the deficit calories soon! At least summer makes eating salad a lot more pleasant somehow. 

Yes, all  the fresh veggies make salad and just snacking on veggies easier. I'm getting used to the deficit now

• Like 2

Cooked roasted new potatoes in the airfryer today.NOM! Also did almond flour crusted cod. It was good, but I was hoping for a crispier crust. next time I will  turn the heat up a bit more (I was just following a recipe this time)

Weighed myself today and I am down a pound!. It might bump a bit, that's how my weight goes, but I am trending down. Yesterday we ate dinner at my inlaws retirement home, so I guestimated on MFP. It's old people portions, so I was still hungry when I got home. I had some cashew yogurt, with a bit of protein powder.

Worked out today. Yesterday I did a video of my crow presses. Plan is to upload that, so I'll post it when I do

• Like 4

On 7/24/2019 at 11:58 PM, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

Could you share the recipe for this, please?

The crow looks good. Nice going, EG!

This is the recipe I normally use. I give it about a B. The crust doesn't really get crunchy before the fish is done. So the crust is cooked, but not  that oven baked texture I like.

For the air fryer, I didn''t dip the cod in egg. Instead I just coated it in seasoned almond flour, then sprayed it with avocado oil cooking spray and cooked it at 350. Texture was a bit crisper, fish was super moist and good. Next time I will try 400 degrees. I am still experimenting with alternate flours to get that crisp oven baked texture that you do from flour

• Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 10:03 PM, Elastigirl said:

For the air fryer, I didn''t dip the cod in egg. Instead I just coated it in seasoned almond flour, then sprayed it with avocado oil cooking spray and cooked it at 350.

So for normal cooking, you would dip in egg, then coat with seasoned almond flour? I tried a batter (flour and eggs mixed, then fish dipped in it)

I previously found that coconut flour in a batter gave a nice texture, but that was shallow fried in oil in a pan. I'm not sure whether you'll be able to get the right texture without eggs. But I don't know an air fryer at all. Hope you get it right.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2019 at 9:49 AM, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

So for normal cooking, you would dip in egg, then coat with seasoned almond flour? I tried a batter (flour and eggs mixed, then fish dipped in it)

I previously found that coconut flour in a batter gave a nice texture, but that was shallow fried in oil in a pan. I'm not sure whether you'll be able to get the right texture without eggs. But I don't know an air fryer at all. Hope you get it right.

My air fryer is new, so I'm still learnig

11 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Your crow pose is so good! Those presses are deceptively hard :)

Thanks. 

• Like 1