• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

JustCallMeAmber

JustCallMeAmber is a space cadet

Ship’s log; date unknown. 18 days post-crash.

Diary! Long time, no chat!

A

fter some trial and error, I managed to get the systems diagnostics up and running. The 1st system to be debugged is the air circulation system. That’ll be nice since we’ve been just venting with the outside air, and I think I might have mentioned that this planet is really freakin’ hot! The system identified a significant leak in the main duct that runs the length of the ship. The access panel is almost directly above my bunk, so I should be able to reach it without too much issue. The fun part will be shimmying my way to the line break and repairing it. It’s rough to accurately judge, but I should say I’ll have to crawl on my belly a good 20 meters and back again. Overlords preserve my elbows.

MADDY is still over-excited, but she does seems to be doing slightly better? I tried explaining to her that we’re on a ship, and that we’ve crash-landed on an uncharted planet. I thought she’d find that thrilling, but it didn’t seem to make much of an impact since she flew off again, bouncing along in what I’ve deemed the zoomies. A strange thing did happen yesterday however; she was bobbing her way along, bubbly as ever, and I heard her singing softly to herself. She stopped before I could identify the song, but I’m wondering if it was something she’s picked up while we’ve been here, or if it’s something she’s remembering?

*yawns hugely* Excuse me! I was up half the night it seemed. I did finish the book, and I've kept up with regular stretching and outdoor walking. Awkward conversations are still awkward. Duo is still learning. I think that's all for now.

*end of entry*

• Like 3

Ship’s log; date unknown. 20 days post-crash.

Dear Diary,

The AC system has been restored, and there was much rejoicing in the land. THAT was a fun little adventure! At least I slept well last night. One tends to forget how important that bit is until you have a few restless nights back to back. One system back online, and hopefully we can get the rest back running soon.

Let’s see what’s up next on our de-buggering… Ah, communications! That should help immensely. We can actually call for help instead of waiting on someone to notice the distress beacon! *inputs ‘runcommandonboardsystemsautomatedtroubleshootingassistanceanddiagnosticsprogram’ with a flourish*  Runtime: error. Cannot complete command. Oh, boo, bad computer! *slaps side of screen* [MADDY: Does that help? I can do that! *hits nearest surface* Oh, that’s fun! *hits surface again; presses random button in the process. Screen goes dark.* WOAH, WOAH, MADDY CUT IT OUT! *screen blinks back on; refreshes to show diagnostics are running*  [MADDY laughs. See? It worked!] That’s probably just a coincidence, MADDY, and please don’t ever do that again! [MADDY: Sheesh! You’re welcome! *flies off*]  *lowers voice* Ok, don’t tell MADDY but that actually did seem to do something. The thing is running anyways.

While we’re waiting on that, I’ll go ahead and update a couple of things. The locals have been somewhat scarce for the last few days, which somewhat concerns me. True, it’s been either very, very hot or it’s been storming heavily most days. Hoping I didn’t scare them off. I’ve mostly kept power pod consumption in check and I’ve delivered 1576 units to the main console so far. Duo is insisting on using the phrase ‘There’s an eggplant in my mustache’ and I can’t seem to make it unlearn it. Otherwise, it seems to be running smoothly. A part of me wonders if MADDY taught it that. Speaking of MADDY, she’s got her up and downs, but at the very least she is starting to remember things. To help calm her down so I can get some sleep, I’ve taken to telling her stories at night. Since she didn’t seem to comprehend our situation very well, I told her that I’m a pirate and that she’s first mate, currently stranded on a desert island. I also told her a couple of stories of our ‘swashbuckling adventures’. I’m really not sure how well she understands any of it, but she at least listens to the stories quietly, and I’ve heard her humming a bit of the pirate shanty I tried to teach her.

*ding* Oh, that was fast! Diagnostics are complete. I’m off then. Chat soon!

*log entry ends*

• Like 4

Ship’s log; date unknown. 22 days post-crash.

Diary, today I’m just going to read you a little message I received via the now-functional communications system:

Captain,

Thank you for contacting our emergency support line. We have received your missive, indicating your vessel is in distress. We respond to all distress calls in the order in which they are received. We have dispatched a Lifeboat to your vicinity. However, due to an unusually heavy call volume, it may be some time before the Lifeboat reaches your precise location. Estimated wait time (in local time) is currently: 35 years.

Thank you again for your missive, and we hope you have a wonderful day.

Isn’t that special? Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to take a hammer to something very, very large and make it very, very small.

*log entry ends*

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ship’s log; date unknown. 26 days post-crash.

Dear Diary,

We had something of a whirlwind roll through here. The good news? We have lights, A/C, we have sound, we have communication and navigation and contemplation! Ok, I made that last one up. But, the point is, we are SO close to being fully operational. [MADDY: Woohoo!] That's what I'm saying! The only thing, and admittedly it is a very BIG thing, left now is getting the propulsion system back online. [MADDY: Would it help if I got out and pushed? *Zooms off, giggling*] Ha. Ha. We also hooked up the local entertainment network. It seems largely populated by videos of various undoubtedly adorable creatures, that don't seem to be doing much. A strange planet, this. But, I confess that I spent rather longer than I care to admit watching these addictive videos. MADDY's been watching almost non-stop and has been quoting films while she's working. At any rate, her functions are returning to normal, with the exception of once advising me to check the conductivity of an electrical repair by touching the end of the wire to my tongue. She said she saw it online. I did not attempt this.

I've gotten myself sidetracked. The main thing is getting the propulsion system online. If I can get her off the ground, and manually deploy the landing gear, I can assess the damage to the underside of the hull. If I can get that fixed, I might actually be able to get myself off this rock. I've tried firing the engine twice, but it keeps returning warning lights. [MADDY: Also the safety belt lights. You forgot to mention that.] Right, thanks, MADDY, I did forget that. We're up to almost 3% capacity on the gauge. I met with one of the locals, who agreed to loaning me some equipment. We're going to try and increase the charge rate by attaching some solar panels to absorb the light and heat. Not exactly as simple as hooking up jumper cables, but it shouldn't hurt matters.

*Thunder rolls* As you can hear, the weather has been violent at times, which naturally made some things difficult. At least it has largely been in the afternoon, which leaves me the morning to get in as much work as possible. I'll report back when I've got more info. Wish me luck! [MADDY: Bye!]

*log entry ends*

• Like 2

On 7/19/2019 at 2:33 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

Ooooof broken A/C in YOUR heat? God bless you, that must've been abysmal.

0/10, would not recommend. It was fortunately very short-lived.

Ship’s log; date unknown. 34 days post-crash.

Dearest Diary,

With any luck, this will be the last entry while on this planet... And by that I mean that we’ll be heading home, not dying in a fiery wreck. [MADDY: That’s a pretty important distinction.] No doubt, MADDY. I’ve been running myself ragged between getting enough of a charge to BRIEFLY get the ship back airborne, wrenching the landing gear manually in place before the whole ship landed on me, and then finishing the hull repairs on the underside of the ship. I’m cautiously optimistic that the welds will hold, but by no means certain. However, supplies are running low and the locals have warned me that if it is possible for me to leave, I should do so ASAP. [MADDY: That’s putting it mildly. I believe the words that crazy old guy used included ‘the coming darkness’ and ‘your window is closing and it will not reopen for many ages of men’.] True, MADDY, but I prefer to think he was being a little theatrical. And you needn’t sound so gleeful about it. [MADDY: No need to panic, eh? Everything’s fiiine]. Glad to see your sarcasm is still present. [MADDY *flips over and giggles* Where do you think I learned it to begin with, Cap’n?]

I hate it when she does that.

Power reserves on the propulsion system are up to 68% as of this morning. We’ll lose a lot of that departing the atmosphere, but MADDY’s math says it will be enough to get us to our rendezvous point. I should clarify that a trader caught our distress beacon signal, which I never bothered to shut off, and has sportingly agreed to help us limp along to port. In other good news, and I do feel quite good about this, is that I am quite a bit stronger and bendier than when I first landed. I guess the old field guide was right about that whole ‘physical exertion' thing being good for us. I’ll also be able to add quite a lot of the area’s dialect to the auto-translator’s public database, so the next time someone lands here, they won’t have that same little bit of awkward confusion that I did. [MADDY: Little bit? It was a lot!] Hush, MADDY. We also finished a couple of books. [MADDY: Sadly, they were boring and had no pictures.] I quite lost count of the total number of units of water I transported. [MADDY: It was a lot! Wait, did I already say that?] And we did interact with the locals without triggering a war, or other mass extinction event. [MADDY: Pssh. Some pirate you are! Can’t even accidentally start an intergalactic incident!] Right, MADDY, because not getting shot at is a bad thing! [MADDY: Well, it would have been more interesting than flying off into the sunset with a ship held together with dental floss and hope. Actually, that sounds kind of cool except for the fact that we might die.] ANYWAYS. My official log entry will end here. Assuming we don’t crash, and until we meet again, fare thee well. [MADDY: BYE! Hope we don’t die!]

*log entry ends*

----

For those of you that persevered to the end, I salute you. For the actual writers among you, my apologies for the atrocities committed herein. This was a learning experience for me. MADDY’s adventures may be picked up sometime in the (distant) future, but for now I’ll be working towards a more traditional challenge for the new round. Take care! <3

• Like 4

it was a great break from the norm! and it sounds like you kept up with stretching, lifting, and duolingo :D well done despite MADDY's attempts to thwart you

• Thanks 1