• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

juliebarkley

Juliebarkley gets to work

I didn't think I could post today because of no internet, but lookee here it is back so post I shall. :P

I got crappy sleep last night, so I have been dragging all day. I have not done a whole lot towards my goals today it feels like.

I got my walk and sunshine in after work, and collected some cattail pollen to boot (I may collect more tomorrow). I got a lot of bug bites on my hands and ankles - it is a swamp after all - but by the time I made it back home 20 minutes later the itching was gone. I forgot to check my todo list, but I did do my prayers, albeit a little later than the planned time - but I did them.

I did a little bit of exercise research on my lunch break, but only a little as we were slammed and I didn't end up taking my other breaks at all. It is starting to come together into a clearer picture now. Here's what I think I'm going to try: a basic Primal structure of regular low-intensity activity, with two or three workouts of varying intensity, and a "sprint" session once a week. Luckily for me, my new job is a great way to get some low intensity exercise regularly, as I have to lift books and boxes in various ways, push full carts, and walk around a lot. For the workouts, I'm going to work out some basic movement categories (ex. push/pull/squat or upper/lower/bending, that sort of thing) and make a (short) list of exercises for each of them to pick at random and put sets together. Keeping the list short will let me get the thing off the ground and useable quickly, and I can add later as I more completely peruse my resources, as I surely will because that is how I roll. Randomness keeps it interesting and fun and varied. I may put them on cue cards or make up little stories to go with them or something eventually if it works out, who knows. In addition, I want to have a few actual progressions for "goal" activities, like doing a handstand and a pullup on the workout days, so those parts will be recurring and not randomized. Have not thought about where to put them yet exactly, but probably on the workout days if they are workout-like or on the "play" days if they are more play-like (I'm thinking parkour moves here, or flexibility stuff). So hopefully, this will let me work towards some cool goals while at the same time working the rest of me and mixing it up so that I stay balanced and excited about the exercising.

I looked at my book pile, thought about working on it, but it made me feel very tired. Everything makes me feel tired today, darn you sleep. I did make sure that my ebooks were backed up which I have been meaning to do for a few days, so that is something at least. Oh, and I found my checkbook, which is also a thing which lets me do some stuff that's been on my todo list for a while now.

Did a little catching up on some of the beautiful people that hang out on here. May post today or may just go to sleep. Maybe sleep would be best. Good night all.

• Like 2

Just a quickie: no spectacular achievements to note, but I am very excited because I will be picking my son up from the airport in less than twelve hours and I haven't seen him in three weeks!!!

• Like 2

Oh that's good stuff! Happy reunion :)

Looks like you're getting a lot of small things done, and they do add up, so yay! 

• Like 1

Following along as I'm trying to be back in active NF, like the ideas you coming up with for your exercise goals. Make sense in the end. 

I couple months ago I tried to do a similar email challenge, ended up finding out I was more stressed by what I could be deleting then how many emails I had for my personal/work email. While my school email I realized my actual like or dislike was unknown to me. 

While your explanation of cutting down books gives me an idea of needing to do a clean out. I personally haven't been reading books outside of school, even when I try really hard... I have a fraction of your books since I did a clean out of a move in the last 2 years (moving makes getting rid of books a bit quicker). However,. I found I still have the problem of finding the books in my home due to a lack of shelves, may mean I need to let more go since they are using up space for other stuff. 

Hope you very much enjoyed your son being back!

Eeps with the delay in updating. One day turns into ... a lot of days.

On 7/12/2019 at 6:53 AM, KB Girl said:

Oh that's good stuff! Happy reunion :)

On 7/15/2019 at 8:02 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Hope you are enjoying your time with your son.

On 7/15/2019 at 11:00 PM, LovelyBouncer said:

Hope you very much enjoyed your son being back!

I am very glad to have him back! He had a fun time on his trip and is also pleased to be back again. He suffered when reintroduced to the high heat and humidity of the Ottawa Valley, but is now reacclimated. In Belfast, I gather there was a "heat wave" that brought temperatures there to a "sweltering" 21°C. We had a good laugh at that.

On 7/15/2019 at 8:02 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Are you still able to keep up with your habits?

My habits have suffered over the last week, unfortunately. I simply keep forgetting to do them (except the walking and sun). I guess I need a better reminder system. Well, actually I need a reminder system. I never did get around to setting that up. And I've posted on no one's thread for at least a week. Gah.

After we had a few days of together time (got little done), I got sick (I blame foreign plagues) and got more nothing done for a couple of days. I feel like I am about a week behind in where I was hoping to be. I will be done with my book task tonight, in fact even a little past where I planned to be, but haven't really started my email and have only nibbled at my inbox. This despite having several days where I was not working, picking a task on waking that I thought I could put some real time into, and suddenly where did the day go? Bleh.

The exercise I have been doing is temporarily on hold. Part of the reason I have been sleeping poorly is because I am having issues with numbness in my hands. Google tells me it is probably an ulnar nerve issue, since it is the last two fingers that go numb, and it goes away quickly if I straighten my arm. It has been a niggling thing for a few months, but has been getting worse, and since it looks like repeatedly bending my elbows can angry up the nerve, pushups are on hold till I see the doctor next month. :( All the more reason to get the exercise system up and running. I did get inspired by my earlier injuries messing with my plans, after all! (I need a sound effect to match the other paragraphs. Froofle.)

With the books done, I still have a week to pull this off. I'm on track with the exercise stuff. It will take longer than I think it will to get it how I want, I know that, but I can get a basic useable something together in the next week to be added to at leisure. I have one particular item in my inbox that is bulky (an old craft item), and if I deal with that, I am not too far off the inbox goal. I can pour some time and attention into email in the next week and if not make the goal, certainly get it better than it was at the start of the month (but still try to hit the goal, of course). And tomorrow, first thing, I set up a gosh darn reminder system for my habits. Then I make this a focus for the week because dang it, I want these habits for a reason. Here's to a successful final week for everyone!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

And tomorrow, first thing, I set up a gosh darn reminder system for my habits

Are you using alarms or something else for the reminder system?

Glad your son had enjoyed his trip and both of you had a bit of reunion before getting sick!

Hope your numbers gets figured out quickly, no one needs that.

10 hours ago, LovelyBouncer said:

Are you using alarms or something else for the reminder system?

Yup, an entry in Calendar. I had one, but it was at a time that wasn't working, and I didn't update it. To make it stand out, I deleted all of my old time blocks from my calendar as well. Those time blocks worked really well while I was using them to keep me on track, but I never updated them after switching jobs (twice) and they were painfully out of date. Redoing them has been on the edges of my radar for a while. So now the only dings I get from Calendar will be for my habits, so yay! I did miss them today though, as I did not enter the alarms first thing.

Today, despite my plans, I did not get stuck into my tasks until well after sundown because other people had plans for me. I started off the day with a walk in the hot, hot sun after being persuaded to go swimming in the river right after. It has been ages since I've been swimming and the ground is weedier than I remember, but less zebra-mussely as well, which is more important. I spent a good amount of time swimming and floating around and also some time chucking rocks. The rocks are meant to stop the shoreline from eroding, but they shift with the waves and the ice over time and end up down the slope where they are not doing their job any more. So it is good to periodically pick them up from the bottom of the slope and chuck them up as high as you can manage. That was good for some laughs. It would appear that I am pretty fast. I got a few cuts on my hands and feet, but nothing out of the ordinary for a river swim.

After getting out and drying off a bit, we weeded our collection of life jackets to get rid of the ones in bad shape, then put them out to air for a few hours. Then it was time for the tents. We erected - correction, attempted to erect - four tents to see if they had all their parts and we wanted to keep them. The first tent was a little 2-person elongated dome tent - quick and easy to put up and gave us a false sense of security going forward. It had an extra fly which we never did find the mate for, despite the fact that the tent looked brand new and never opened. Tent 2 was in a bag with a corroded zipper pull, so it took a little finessing with a pair of pliers to open it. My first reaction as we pulled it out was that it looked like some sort of tent/folding chair crossover - what was up with the poles? We were unable to get the tent to stay up properly. It had a bit at the top that seemed to pull down like an umbrella to tension the thing, but it was a bugger to pull down and wouldn't stay once it was there, so unless you paid someone to hold it in place for your whole camping trip, it was not useable. I don't have that kind of money, so the tent was not going to work for us. Tent 3 was left at a rental property that my parents had way back when. We thought it was a tent, but it was in a bag that originally had a tent and folding chairs and stuff, plus it had possibly not been opened (at least no one could remember what was in it), so it was a bag of mystery. When we got it open (more corrosion issues), we found a big hunting-style knife, an air mattress, and a tent with no bags for the tent itself or any of its parts. This tent was a funky hexagon shape, a little big but went up very easily. We liked it, but we'll have to make a sack for it. Tent 4 was a pyramid shape, which was fine, but awkward to put up and take down. The poles were all attached to a central ring, yet they had to be pushed through sleeves in the tent material. Why do these companies deviate from the standard, simple pole designs? They are never as good. The fly also tore as we put it up and this model had no built-in ground sheet. We decided not to keep it.

By this point, the sun was setting, so we went inside. I did some random things and corrected a lot of math before I got to my inbox. I sorted the inbox tasks into phone, computer, and other, then did all of the phone tasks. The computer tasks are on top and ready to go for tomorrow.

No email today; no exercise planning today; books are done. No posting on anyone else's thread today, either. :(

• Like 3

Very productive, and does follow through with your life goals. Something you can't plan out totally I feel, except taking advantage of free time and a sunny day.

Follows along the goals of decluttering!

Happy Monday!

***To be edited tomorrow for completeness and maybe photos of documentary evidence***

Quick sum-up of the challenge:

On 6/28/2019 at 1:34 AM, juliebarkley said:

1. Work on solidifying current habits. The three habits I've been working on regularly are 1) pray every evening; 2) walk 30 minutes a day; 3) check my todo list daily. #2 is automatic now, hurray! #1 is middling, and got really lazy on #3 while on holiday and didn't pick it back up. Plan: by the end of week 0, set a better time/trigger for habits 1 and 3 to set myself up for success.

The walking has been great! The others have been weak, but still better than before the challenge. My alarms work when I do them right away, but if I delay even a few minutes, I will forget. Also, my prayer alarm is not always going off for reasons I have not yet figured out. I really don't like to be interrupted when I am in the middle of something, so this is still a challenge for me.

2. Get at least 30 minutes of non-burning sun exposure each day. This should get me outside and get me lots of happy sun vitamins. Ideally, this will happen during the daily walk (see habit 2 above), but can happen any time throughout the day as long as the sun hasn't set yet. Plan: I started doing this during the last challenge that I never jumped into, so keep it up!

Yes! I missed only a few days all challenge. My mood has noticeably improved during the challenge, which I think is at least in part due to the regular sun exposure. I just randomly realize that I am feeling happy and positive about life in general. It's great.

3. Get a plan to get strong. So at the moment, I do regular pushups and not much else. Could be worse, but should really be better. My main mental block is that I don't have a good feel for how exercise progressions work, and I don't have cool human tricks in mind to achieve that would give me direction. I really felt the lack of these in the last challenge when I somehow hurt my ankle bending over to pick up my phone and couldn't walk for three days, and also hurt my wrist opening a door. (Man, that's embarrassing) I couldn't do my regular exercises for like a week, and didn't know what I could do instead. I have some bodyweight books which surely have this info, and I know there are free websites out there - I just need to put it all together for myself. This challenge, it happens.

I didn't work on this in the last week (which I should have), so I am not quite done, but oh so close. I have identified progressions for all four things I want to work on, and have a short-and-to-be-added-to list of exercises and variations, plus fun stuff for the non-exercise days. Now I have to write out the progressions (and merge elements or pick between two in some cases), and I need to write out the exercises on index cards to get that ready. Then I will be good to get going! Plan is to get that done tomorrow. I still have a few parkour videos set aside to watch until I can figure out what I can easily do, but if that's not in the pilot program (as it were), no biggie. It's easy to add later.

4. Stop procrastinating, you fool! My inbox (real and email) are stuffed to the gills, plus I started a project to get rid of some of my ginormous book collection, but I have not worked on it much since vacation. As you may know by know if you have followed my challenges at all, I sort of kind of hoard information that I might want later, but which I then never get around to acting on (or start but never complete), making me perhaps the ultimate underpants gnome? The goal for each of these, ahem, "collections" is to make them smaller by challenge end through either taking action as appropriate or sweet sweet purging. This is my current status:

Achievable goals:

Books: Finish the Bs by the end of the challenge. The piles you can see on the ground in photos 1 and 4 are the remaining B books. Bi-Bz, to be exact. It's a big letter. :/

Email: 10,000 or lower by challenge end, for a decrease of about 2500 messages, with Google down to at least 3500. No more than 875 flagged.

Inbox: Chances are good I can't clear it, but I will try. However, I pass if I can put a ruler across the top of the basket and have it rest on both sides without touching the basket contents.

Long-term files: Bonus item only. To be considered if goal on another category is achieved early.

Books: Done. After my son got back, he gave me back a pile of his books, so those are not done, but I also worked ahead a bit while he was gone, so I'm calling it good.

Email: No. I am over where I was at the start of the challenge in all categories, but not disastrously so. I neglected this area to focus on the others and didn't even do the amount I would normally do daily. I'll have to keep chipping away at this one.

Inbox: Yes! I can put a ruler on top of the box in every direction and it does not touch anything! Granted, I worked on removing physically large items, but I also added a fair amount to the box over the challenge, too.

Long-term files: Untouched, as I suspected at the start. They were a stretch goal. :)

I thought I had set these targets low, but they ended up being more, ahem, challenging than I had anticipated.

5. Be on here every day. Post on my own thread daily. And someone else's daily. Not too hard, but at the same time, very hard.

Dismal, though still better than the last two challenges where I didn't show up at all.

• Like 3

On 7/30/2019 at 8:19 AM, juliebarkley said:

I just randomly realize that I am feeling happy and positive about life in general.

That's all kinds of awesome :)

Good challenge Julie! 

• Like 1