• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

newbiedoog

Body weight vs gym weights

Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

I'm a real newbie, male weigh about 80kg and I've started doing some bodyweight exercises and progressed to doing one leg hip thrusts and glute bridges.

 

If I was to go to the gym and use the machines, not free weights, are there equivalent type machines and what sort of weight should I start at?

 

The reason I want to use the machines and not free weights is that at the moment I feel more comfortable and safer with them than free weights.

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, newbiedoog said:

Hi,

 

I'm a real newbie, male weigh about 80kg and I've started doing some bodyweight exercises and progressed to doing one leg hip thrusts and glute bridges.

 

If I was to go to the gym and use the machines, not free weights, are there equivalent type machines and what sort of weight should I start at?

 

The reason I want to use the machines and not free weights is that at the moment I feel more comfortable and safer with them than free weights.

 

Thanks


Hiya. Do you want machines specifically for the glutes? I ask because you mentioned doing two bodyweight exercises for the glutes. If so, the only thing I can think of is kickbacks with a cable attached to your ankle. But I've never done them personally, and I don't see how they would be safer than or superior to a barbell glute bridge. Or did you want a broader range of exercises for the whole body?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, newbiedoog said:

are there equivalent type machines

15 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Do you want machines specifically for the glutes? I ask because you mentioned doing two bodyweight exercises for the glutes. If so, the only thing I can think of is kickbacks with a cable attached to your ankle.

 

Machine hip thrusts and glute kickbacks can be done with creative use of a leg extension machine.

 

 

5 hours ago, newbiedoog said:

what sort of weight should I start at?

 

Do a set at the lowest weight.  If you find it too easy, then do the next set with a little more weight.  And so on, until you find the weight that challenges you at the level you want to be challenged for the exercise.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mates a PT (but hes pn holiday at the mo) and he said I need to build up my legs in general and glutes so that is why I've been doing these exercises

 

18 hours ago, Hazard said:

 

Do a set at the lowest weight.  If you find it too easy, then do the next set with a little more weight.  And so on, until you find the weight that challenges you at the level you want to be challenged for the exercise.

 

Is it just as simple as that? no magic formula..... I can manage that on my own then :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, newbiedoog said:

My mates a PT (but hes pn holiday at the mo) and he said I need to build up my legs in general and glutes so that is why I've been doing these exercises

 

Is it just as simple as that? no magic formula..... I can manage that on my own then :)


Gotcha. I think glute bridges and hip thrusts tend to work the glutes, maybe the hamstrings a bit. So for overall leg development it might be worth chucking in something for the quads. Bodyweight squats are good because they also work lots of stabilising muscles around the knees and calves, and you can make them harder with variations (such as a rear-leg-elevated split squat) or by adding weight (just dumbbells or kettlebells will do if you don't want to mess with barbells). You could also use the leg press or smith machine but I've never used those, so I can't comment. They might still be good, though I'm not sure they'll work the stabilising muscles as much. 

Yeah, so you can build muscle and strength with a wide variety of reps, anything up to roughly 15... beyond that you start building more endurance than strength/size. So if you want strength & size, what you might do is start with a weight you can do for 8 reps, then over a few workouts, increase the number of reps until you can do 12. Then you increase the weight and start again at 8 reps with the new, heavier weight (or more challenging exercise variation). It doesn't have to be 8-12, that's just a happy medium that a lot of people pick. It kinda depends on the exercise, and how big the jumps in weight are. E.g. I do 8-15 reps for kettlebell bottom ups, 8-12 for seated rows, 3-5 for deadlifts, etc. That's just what I've found to work for me through experimentation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for me, doing exercises in the gym is much better than at home. There you can consult with professional fitness trainer. You also can share your results with others and even make a lot of new friends. At first, I was doing exercises at home too but then I started to communicate with people on forums and blogs, and realized that spending time in the gym can bring much more desired results :adoration:

You should try too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now