• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I started last month's challenge accepting that when it comes down to it, I am my own boss in life. And I am a shitty boss, so I need to start running a tight ship. I've pretty much narrowed down what needs to happen within the next six months in another post. So my goals will be based on those priorities and what must be done right now, or what would help in doing the others later. 

Image result for somehow i manage

Image result for michael scott workout gif

1. Training

I have been seriously slacking. I already missed 2 weeks of my program, and can't afford to miss any more. It's 4 weeks to IBJJF, which will be my last competition for this year. I really need to commit to the program. Strength maintenance, cardio, bodyweight movements, solo drills, and mat time.

Image result for michael scott business school gif

2. Education

My CrossFit Level 1 credential was due to expire this September. I was going to let it go, but just last week my old gym had an opening for a coach. I love that gym and the people over there, and my manager at my current one happens to be okay with me covering some classes, so it was perfect. There happens to be a CF1 course to be held in my city on August 10-11. Everything just seemed to fall in the right time and place. I'll need to save money and register for the course before the last day of the challenge.

Image result for michael scott immature gif

3. Adulting

Last challenge also pointed out (in cells) how I am barely an adult. I will be doing this again, making myself perform personal hygiene, do chores, and establish a bedtime.

No photo description available.

So I'll be updating the hygiene and chores, and checking-in every night when I'm in bed, which should be no later than 12. (The reading and creative stuff, maybe later.) I'll also need to write weekly and daily to-do lists.

Zero Week:

Friday

> jiu-jitsu, cardio

> 20 minutes of cleaning

> dishes

Saturday

> sprints, jiu-jitsu

> video and drills

>

Sunday

> Budget

> groceries

> lift

• Like 6

Week One:

1. Training

Tuesday/Thursday: Tempo Rowing/Snatches and GMB; technical training

Wednesday/Friday: Strength Training; live training

Saturday: Specific sparring

2. Education

Figure out the finances for the August course. Move some money around and find a way to scrounge up $125 a week.

3. Adulting

> living room (still procrastinating)

> lawn (missed it because of the rain)

• Like 4

Nice that your CF gym has a coach position for you!

Good job getting to bed earlier. Sleep helps everything else go soooooo much better.

What do you find annoying about the things you are putting off doing?

• Thanks 1

I got a question. Let's say I have 5-10 minutes a day for spinal strength and mobility. Any suggestions? My best guess is plank and Supermen, cuz it's basically core stuff, and maybe some yoga for the mobility.

• Like 1

I was only able to gather up an extra $75 this week. Training is on hold until I get my shoulder looked at on Wednesday, but I probably won't be competing in the tournament. Adulting still failing, mostly from the new schedule and the holidays, but the wife cleaned everything, and that might be an easier starting point rather than chaos.

Semi-productive Sunday. Finally got a long-overdue haircut. Rain still preventing me from cutting the grass. I might invest in a second-hand self-propelled mover so I can get it done quickly. Took full control of the budget from the wife, so she doesn't have to worry about it. Looking into how the rewards system works with the 9 credit cards that I have active. Haha

And I’m in bed by 23:20. 

On 7/5/2019 at 12:31 PM, Mistr said:

Nice that your CF gym has a coach position for you!

Good job getting to bed earlier. Sleep helps everything else go soooooo much better.

What do you find annoying about the things you are putting off doing?

I think mostly the fact that I've been able to find the things that I need in that mess, and we don't really have designated places for anything right now. 

6 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I got a question. Let's say I have 5-10 minutes a day for spinal strength and mobility. Any suggestions? My best guess is plank and Supermen, cuz it's basically core stuff, and maybe some yoga for the mobility.

It depends on what the end goal is, really. In general most people could benefit from lumbar stability, and hip and thoracic mobility. McGill's Big 3 is a good start, or pairing variations of a Hollow and a Bridge can offer almost unlimited options.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Machete said:

It depends on what the end goal is, really. In general most people could benefit from lumbar stability, and hip and thoracic mobility. McGill's Big 3 is a good start, or pairing variations of a Hollow and a Bridge can offer almost unlimited options. 

Honestly, while it's always a good thing for martial arts (and I need to work on a better foundation), the current motivator is a lot more mundane. My vertebrae are popping a lot, and really uncomfortable until they do, so I'm needing to do a ton of stretching. It's starting to affect how well I sleep at night. I know that when I have that issue with my wrists, the wrist stretches I do for aikido solve the problem, so I'm going to assume there's a strength-and-flexibility solution to this, too. To most things, probably.

Thanks, I'll take a look at those. IIRC, bridges were on my list a couple of challenges ago, though I've forgotten why.

• Like 1

Hey, good on you for getting under the load and doing some lifting for the wife! This is very good. I hope the doc gives you good news!

• Like 1

So how did your appointment go yesterday?

Also, are you going to step up your meme game if you go back to CF? 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEZnRZrrFJa6n_udzvVFI

• Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 12:57 AM, sarakingdom said:

Thanks, I'll take a look at those. IIRC, bridges were on my list a couple of challenges ago, though I've forgotten why.

Working towards a bridge addresses a lot of modern problems if they're performed properly. I think it's a worthwhile goal.

On 7/8/2019 at 11:27 AM, Kishi said:

Hey, good on you for getting under the load and doing some lifting for the wife! This is very good. I hope the doc gives you good news!

Doc went conservative. Don't think I'm ready anyway, so I'm going to forego the tournament and take this opportunity to put a bit of focus on my endurance and GTG my weighted Pistol. I might take a bit of a sabbatical from rolling and just drill a bunch of stuff exclusively as well.

On 7/11/2019 at 12:38 PM, Sylvaa said:

So how did your appointment go yesterday?

Also, are you going to step up your meme game if you go back to CF? 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEZnRZrrFJa6n_udzvVFI

They drew a bit of blood. Apparently I'm just in time for my annual. HDL is still a bit lower than ideal. LDL, and WBC markers improved. Liver enzymes and kidney waste are elevated, so the doc is having me ease up on the protein shakes. (Can't promise anything.)

I'll probably get some CrossFit memes going eventually. Right now it's still jiu-jitsu heavy. And self-loathing.

• Like 4

I really have to get better at getting here more often. 

Anyway:

1. Training

I've been able to hit my Pistol GTGs at least 4 days a week. I'm doing some upper body bodyweight stuff that doesn't involve shoulder flexion, to avoid irritating it. Nothing bad really, probably just overused. Ring Rows, Bent Hangs, L-Sits, and Tuck Planches up top, 40# Pistols down low.

2. Education

The deadline for my registration is this Friday, so I'll need to move my money around. I have a few days to see, with how I've been manipulating my credit to get another card.

3. Adulting

Been pretty good about the budgeting and the sorting of old mail. Showers are meh. Finally invested on a self-propelled mower and cut my lawn mowing time to over a quarter of what it was, so that should pay off in dividends later down the road. What might be a bit of an issue is we happened to adopt a 5-week old pupper from a rescued mom. I have no idea how to care for something this young, so if anybody has any tips, I'm all ears.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Machete said:

What might be a bit of an issue is we happened to adopt a 5-week old pupper from a rescued mom. I have no idea how to care for something this young, so if anybody has any tips, I'm all ears.

Food goes in the toothy-end, be sure to clean up what comes out of the other end.

• Haha 3

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 8:55 PM, Machete said:

What might be a bit of an issue is we happened to adopt a 5-week old pupper from a rescued mom. I have no idea how to care for something this young, so if anybody has any tips, I'm all ears.

giphy.gif

CAN WE PET THE PUPPY!?

• Like 2

For the puppy- a lot of patience for repeating commands, positive reinforcement for successes,  make sure people in charge are using adult voices - at least for anything training related, and consider training classes.  They are actually less for the puppy and more for you and anyone else helping than the puppy. It won’t necessarily make things easy (depends on the temperament of the puppy), but it will give you a good framework to use.  

I’d bet a local humane society will have good references for learning care and basic training tips, if not classes of their own. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 2:25 PM, Kishi said:

giphy.gif

CAN WE PET THE PUPPY!?

He has an Instagram. Haha

On 7/24/2019 at 1:12 AM, ChrisWithaStick said:

For the puppy- a lot of patience for repeating commands, positive reinforcement for successes,  make sure people in charge are using adult voices - at least for anything training related, and consider training classes.  They are actually less for the puppy and more for you and anyone else helping than the puppy. It won’t necessarily make things easy (depends on the temperament of the puppy), but it will give you a good framework to use.  

I’d bet a local humane society will have good references for learning care and basic training tips, if not classes of their own. 

He seems to be doing pretty well in a crate. We're keeping him away from the other two until he's had his shots in a few weeks.

===========================================================================================

Kind of feels like I've had nothing accomplished this week. Attacking brain weasels probably. I was able to get a shower in, mostly because the dogs swam in their own puke and I had to wash them. I was also able to register for my CF L1. Other than that I've been pretty much late every day for work, annoying my supervisor, and sleeping all day at home, annoying my wife.

• Like 4

On 7/22/2019 at 9:30 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Food goes in the toothy-end, be sure to clean up what comes out of the other end.

This is basically good advice for tiny humans, too. Also older ones, though hopefully they take care of their own other ends by that stage, barring serious illness.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Machete said:

Kind of feels like I've had nothing accomplished this week. Attacking brain weasels probably. I was able to get a shower in, mostly because the dogs swam in their own puke and I had to wash them. I was also able to register for my CF L1. Other than that I've been pretty much late every day for work, annoying my supervisor, and sleeping all day at home, annoying my wife. 

I'm kinda wondering if your challenge is perhaps too focused on working around the brain weasels instead of working on the brain weasels. Like, maybe less of a push through your to-do list, and more experimenting with behaviors designed to ward off the weasels. Your training and so on can probably take care of itself for a while while you invest in the foundation.

(Or, to go back to that Sam Vimes quote I always have in my back pocket, you do the job that's in front of you.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/28/2019 at 10:33 AM, sarakingdom said:

I'm kinda wondering if your challenge is perhaps too focused on working around the brain weasels instead of working on the brain weasels. Like, maybe less of a push through your to-do list, and more experimenting with behaviors designed to ward off the weasels. Your training and so on can probably take care of itself for a while while you invest in the foundation.

(Or, to go back to that Sam Vimes quote I always have in my back pocket, you do the job that's in front of you.)

It always seems to happen. Weasels come in with a complex ambush out of nowhere right after I'm about to execute my perfect plan. Haha. 

Doc seems to suspect Bipolar Disorder, as it runs strong in the family. I'm thinking it could be why I set such ambitious goals, then usually burn out before accomplishing them. I'm thinking I need to keep that "job in front of you" principle handy as an emergency plan of action. Survival first.

=======================================================================================================

Anyway, on the plus side I got CF-L1 registered, and I just passed my PN 1 re-cert, so it wasn't a complete loss of a month.

Image result for michael scott gif

So this week I'm just holding the fort.

> don't be late for work  8/10

> dishes 2/3

> shower 2/4

> call banks 2/2

> update resume 1/1

> reply to emails 

> practice jiu-jitsu twice 1/2

• Like 4

Those are good goals for holding the fort.

Bipolar is a fairly common problem. Not to say that it is fun, but that there are resources and strategies other people use that you could try. Elizabeth Bear has written about dealing with it on her blog. She has worked out some diet, exercise and sleep patterns that help her. YMMV

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

Those are good goals for holding the fort.

Bipolar is a fairly common problem. Not to say that it is fun, but that there are resources and strategies other people use that you could try. Elizabeth Bear has written about dealing with it on her blog. She has worked out some diet, exercise and sleep patterns that help her. YMMV

Thank you. Checking it out.