Wobbegong Gets Creative

Wobbegong

Guh. I'm back in Japan but still on carbs after my trip home. The burritos were totally worth it, but I'm really dragging now. But it's fine. 

On the one hand, I hate to start a challenge so low-energy, but on the other, I have a bunch of projects this month that are not super related to health and fitness, and only one timing thing that is. So I'm just gonna roll with what I've got. 

I have a writing challenge, an art challenge, and an eating challenge. So let's get started. 

1. Fanworks Exchange

July is the annual FFVII Fanworks Exchange on AO3. I totally forgot about this last challenge when I was finishing up the CC Transcript, but it's pretty awesome timing! I'm in the mood to write some fanfiction. So I'm all signed up and will get my assignment on Tuesday (the info post says Monday, but I think the mods are in the USA, so it'll probably be Tuesday by then for me). 

2. NF Ocean Art Challenge

Still getting this figured out. Might end up happening next challenge instead, but since I'm already planning to do a series of pieces, I'd like to get at least one done this month. 

3. Summer Fasting Prep

This is the last month of term! Which means summer vacation is coming, which means going to work in Town Hall instead of school for a month. Which means no school lunch or eating under scrutiny. Which means as long as I bring a parasol I can say "I think I'm gonna take a walk" at lunch time and make a multi-day fast effort! 

I'll be preparing for this by using the month to ease back into keto, so I'm fat-adapted before I start fasting. I may also try some weekend fasts on the way. Term ends on the 24th, so there won't be a whole lot of time left in this challenge, but next challenge for sure! I'm ready, let's go! 

• Like 9

Following!

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I don't wanna go to wooooork 

I forgot how much moodier carbs make Mondays for me. I was kind of a lump all weekend and now I just want to be a lump forever. (Well, I was busy online, but physically I was a lump.) 

Going to work will be fine. It will. I'm totally convinced! I swear. 

...ugh. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Work done, emergency 'oh God the committee rejected my proposal' addressed, fic exchange prompts received. 

Work was fine, the emergency was unexpected and kind of annoying, the prompts are... well, I'll figure something out. 

Off to grocery shop. 

Can someone with weather magic please send a cloudy day my way? Sunny is too much to ask for during tsuyu but I need to do laundry. I used to have weather magic, but it doesn't seem to work in east coast climates. 

• Like 4

Bug spoilers (not squicky)

Spoiler

I left an empty mug out and when I came home I found a spider trapped in it. The first words out of my mouth were, "Aw, puppy, did you get stuck?" Then I dumped it out away from where I wanted to sit. 

But srsly, wtf is my life that I address spiders as 'puppy'

I'm done

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I got my prompts for the fanworks exchange yesterday and I've just been agonizing over them ever since. My recipient wants fluff. It's a problem. 

I have nothing against fluff pieces and even seek them out myself sometimes, but it's really tough for me to write. I really enjoy using fanfiction to explore a character's mindset about an issue or their feelings about / responses to the situations they experience. I like to dig into the stuff that we don't have time to see explored in canon because we're busy with the whole Looming Apocalypse thing (whatever form that takes). In FF7 (and the extended compilation) there's a lot of dark stuff going down and a lot of sorting through trauma as a result. There are sweet and tender moments, but they're often made sweeter in the context of so much bitterness. 

My friends who are in the fandom feel similarly to me and are also at a bit of a loss. I'm trying to brainstorm ideas, but everything I come up with gets dark really quickly. And it's not that it's gloomy particularly, but just that I have the sense that my recipient really wants escapism, and to not have to think about dark stuff (which is fine! that's what fiction is for sometimes, it's allowed!) so the tolerance for grit is probably really low. 

I want to give my recipient a gift that is exactly what they want. I just don't know how

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Rookie said:

Too bad you can't just say what your current mood is and what you feel inspired to write atm. What you said you like to write about sounds interesting.

Thank you, I think so too! Lol. We are given some leeway to say what we're willing to write, but we're discouraged from being too specific because it makes matching people up really hard. I honestly didn't realize until I got these prompts that I didn't want fluff T_T You live and you learn. 

I might end up just writing to one of the prompts the way I want to first to get it out of my system and then re-writing it if it gets too heavy. I've also been meaning to read some of the works my prompter has made to get a sense of their limits, and that might help. All of the prompts I got are clearly geared towards cuteness but contextualized in something dark and I'm not sure how much of that context the prompter really cares about. 

• Like 3

This whole thing sounds really interesting. Tell me again what the platform is called? I love that it's a match up to share creative things. I've done craft swaps, and this sounds like the same kind of thing. It's so cool. I didn't know there were writing versions.

I feel for you dilemma... it's a year ago that I did the summer camp nanowrimo and I remember what that was like and I was just writing for me. I think your idea of doing the prompt your way and then their way is probably a good idea, even though it means twice the work. If you have the time, I'd say go for it. You'll probably get more than twice as much out of it.

• Like 3

J3NN

Current Challenge || Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

5 hours ago, J3NN said:

Tell me again what the platform is called? I love that it's a match up to share creative things. I've done craft swaps, and this sounds like the same kind of thing. It's so cool. I didn't know there were writing versions.

Archive Of Our Own(.com), commonly referred to as AO3, is a platform for fanworks (primarily fanfiction, but also fanart sometimes). For those who have never heard of fanworks, they're art and fiction inspired by other media (books, tv programs, games, comics, etc). The communities that form around the production and consumption of fanworks are called fandoms. 

Some people in the Final Fantasy 7 fandom organize an annual fanworks exchange in July, and AO3 supports exchanges by providing the coding structure for signups, work submissions (which can be moderated and hidden until a set "reveal" date), deadlines, etc. Since AO3 provides the structure, I assume lots of other fandoms make use of it, but since I'm not active in them I know nothing about it. Here's a list of exchanges currently accepting signups, though: https://archiveofourown.org/collections/list_ge_challenges

The FF7 exchange is designed with a week-long signup window during which people interested in participating submit four prompts (requests) and one offer. Then the mods match people based on what they're asking for/offering and send out assignments (which are secret until works are revealed). We have a month to write our gift, matching at least one prompt, and submit it. We can make submissions for as many of the four prompts as we want, but have to respond to at least one. 

I hope that answers your question, but if it doesn't or you have more please feel free to ask! 

• Like 3

Made Thai green curry and tom kha gai for dinner and it was delicious and amazing, but even better I feel like my sinuses are thoroughly cleared for the first time in a while. It isn't that I've felt stuffy lately or anything; quite the contrary, after a lifetime of constant congestion I've spent the past few months feeling oddly clear. Even when it got cold in winter I didn't get sick. So it feels oddly natural to be a snot monster again for a little while. 

I also made a ginger lemonade (with stevia, not sugar) and it came out surprisingly delicious. The perfect accompaniment to the meal, as it turned out (and an excellent way to use the leftover lemon juice and ginger). 

• Like 7

Been a while since I updated. I've made a breakthrough with the stupid fluff prompts so I should be seeing some progress on that front this week. 

On Friday I went PoGoing after work and hit my 10,000 steps goal for the first time in absolute ages. And then on Saturday I slept in until 10:30. I'm not sure if the extra sleep was a result of the extra walking or just an anemic reaction to my period, but as a result I didn't make it anywhere near my step goal (only got around 3,500). Today was pouring and high winds all day and I didn't want to go out in it, so I paced circles around my kitchen table for a few minutes every hour until I hit 10,000 steps again. Came out to four and a quarter miles. In my kitchen. At several points I thought to myself "this must be what going crazy looks like" or "if I was an animal on display in a zoo, would observers think this is a stress reaction?" 

But it doesn't matter, because I've proven to myself once and for all that while it's boring it really is not impossible to hit that step goal even while trapped inside. So I have no more excuses! I'll pace as necessary. 

Tomorrow I have a conference in the afternoon and my friend's boyfriend wants to talk to me about body image issues in the morning (well, it'll be Sunday afternoon where he is). I'll only have two classes, though, and I'll get to hang out with English speakers at the conference. None of us have any idea what the conference is about, though, and I'm not sure if it's a suit jacket event. Well, it's for work, so I guess I should just assume so. 

I also officially got through all the sweets I brought back with me from America today, so tomorrow I officially restart keto. I've been eating keto meals lately, just snacking inappropriately, so hopefully being out of snacks will make the last bit of transition easier. Today I had salmon and avocado salad and it was amazing (and super easy to make). So I'm looking forward to more of that in my future. 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Waanie said:

You seem to getting back on track again :). Getting to 10k steps per day, eating keto, exchanging gifts with the other Rebels, and being social with other English speakers :). Just half a week more before the end of term?

Well, I got 10,000 steps twice. I haven't again this week (exhausted again on Monday, PoGo'd to 7500 on Tuesday, today I was just a wreck -- came straight home and slept for three hours in the afternoon instead of walking). But I have been eating properly low-carb with no issues! I do probably need more protein than I'm getting, though. I keep forgetting to thaw patties in the morning and then being too tired to deal with it when I get home, so I end up eating mostly vegetables. I'll get there. 

Still about two weeks left of term! The rest of this week, all of next week (except Monday, it's a holiday), and then Monday ~ Wednesday of the week after. Last day is the 24th. But I'd be down to start sooner if you think you can convince the school board ;)  

2 hours ago, Waanie said:

Also, that ginger lemonade sounds delicious!

It was really good! I love ginger, so I'm kind of surprised it took me so long to try putting it in my lemonade, but now I want to make more homemade ginger drinks. 

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

Well, I got 10,000 steps twice. I haven't again this week (exhausted again on Monday, PoGo'd to 7500 on Tuesday, today I was just a wreck -- came straight home and slept for three hours in the afternoon instead of walking). But I have been eating properly low-carb with no issues! I do probably need more protein than I'm getting, though. I keep forgetting to thaw patties in the morning and then being too tired to deal with it when I get home, so I end up eating mostly vegetables. I'll get there. 

7500 is still nice, that's around a one hour walk, which is much more than most people do. I got a few of your gifts from PoGo, I really like that there is this community here to play together :)

Good luck with surviving until the end of term!

• Like 1
On 7/7/2019 at 4:17 AM, Wobbegong said:

In my kitchen. At several points I thought to myself "this must be what going crazy looks like" or "if I was an animal on display in a zoo, would observers think this is a stress reaction?" 

Haha. This is very similar to what I think when I end up doing this around the apartment. Oh, still need 2,000 steps today before bed. I guess I just need to do this loop forever. Even the dog and cats look at me like I am crazy. 

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Tateman said:

Haha. This is very similar to what I think when I end up doing this around the apartment. Oh, still need 2,000 steps today before bed. I guess I just need to do this loop forever. Even the dog and cats look at me like I am crazy. 

Well, I guess I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this, at least... but you and I both probably need a better outlet for steps lol. It's way easier in winter, when it's not typhooning all the time and I can just put a coat on to mask my lack of desire to wear a bra... summer is awful. 

21 hours ago, Waanie said:

Good luck with surviving until the end of term!

We have a three day weekend so right now I'm just focusing on getting through tomorrow lol! After my ridiculous nap yesterday I'm not feeling quite so run down anymore at least, but still worse off than I'd like to be on an average Thursday afternoon. 

Tonight I'm going to attempt a sushi bowl over cauliflower rice for dinner. Caulirice is, frankly, not even close to as delicious as real rice, and aside from color and shape they bear very little resemblance to each other, so I'm not sure who I think I'm fooling with this. I should really just eat sashimi and move on with my life. The trouble is, sashimi alone is not that satisfying. So. Wish me luck. 

Oh, uh, challenge goals check in. I struggled a lot to get started on my fanworks exchange piece, but I finally have kind of a handle on it. Hoping to finish a rough draft over the (long) weekend. Also hoping to make some progress on my guild mini art project this weekend, which will require first cleaning off the kitchen table to create a workspace and doing some final tooling on my mock-up to figure out coloring. Aside from that, if I could get the background painted, that'd be amazing. I'll be fasting ALAP over the weekend, but I'm not giving myself a target number of hours or anything. I just want to go as long as I can and see how I do. Still debating whether I'll skip Friday dinner or not... that will probably depend on my desire to cook lol. My only other weekend plan is PoGo, so hopefully I'll have a nice balance of productivity, movement, and weight loss progress.

I do have everything I need to make keto ginger candy (and keto ginger syrup as a handy by-product... ginger lemonade is obviously still on my mind lol), but I'm worried if I do it my fast will go up in a cloud of delicious gingery steam, soooo. Might wait until Tuesday or Wednesday for that. 

• Like 3

My "My Number Card," sending out for which was on my To-Do list two challenges in a row, still hasn't arrived. It's been seven weeks since I sent out for it, so now I'm trying to work up the courage to call the English phone number to ask about it. My American funds are very nearly depleted and also I just want my money in America so I can put it to work in the stock market instead of sitting around in a negative-interest Japanese bank. 

If I don't get it soon, I'll have to go to the bank and deal with their stupid money transfer system! And their exchange rate is godawful. With the MNC, I can use the online transfer options, and get a decent market rate on the exchange. 

Also,

1 hour ago, Wobbegong said:

Caulirice is, frankly, not even close to as delicious as real rice, and aside from color and shape they bear very little resemblance to each other, so I'm not sure who I think I'm fooling with this.

I was wrong. I wasn't fooled, but my dinner was delicious. I'm definitely doing that again soon. 

• Like 3

I just sliced my finger open untwisting a plastic bottle cap. I just wanted some sparkling water, is that a crime?! 

On the plus side, I found a mysterious paper card that has a lot of blanks and Japanese but says "My Number" on it. It seems to be due tomorrow. :/ Hopefully one of my teacher buddies can help me figure it out in time! If not, I really will have to call the stupid number. 

Does anyone else feel like "adulting" isn't that hard except for that one thing? I'm totally on it with paying my bills, planning for retirement, keeping myself clean. I usually do just fine at feeding myself, and I socialize and spend time outside and time moving most days. I have a respectable, steady job, good relationships with friends and (most of my) family, and my car is totally paid off. I have hobbies and I do creative things sometimes. But when it comes to opening my mail, or worse, responding to it... ugh. It just doesn't happen. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this, at least

When I did a Walk to Mordor, I completed over 96% of the miles by pacing in my apartment.  One of the best things I ever did for my health.

• Like 2

You haven't seen my Final Form

There is only one god, its name is death; and there is only one thing we say to death: "Not today"

16 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Does anyone else feel like "adulting" isn't that hard except for that one thing? I'm totally on it with paying my bills, planning for retirement, keeping myself clean. I usually do just fine at feeding myself, and I socialize and spend time outside and time moving most days. I have a respectable, steady job, good relationships with friends and (most of my) family, and my car is totally paid off. I have hobbies and I do creative things sometimes. But when it comes to opening my mail, or worse, responding to it... ugh. It just doesn't happen. 

It's called The One Impossible Thing. That one thing we hate and will avoid at all costs. You're not the only one who deals with it.

• Like 5

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

21 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Caulirice is, frankly, not even close to as delicious as real rice, and aside from color and shape they bear very little resemblance to each other, so I'm not sure who I think I'm fooling with this. 

Honestly, this is why I don't think I'll ever have a go at keto. I totally get the benefits and the science and everything, but rice is just too delicious! That said, I also thought the same about sugar and ... OK I definitely haven't eliminated sugar from my diet but I do have a lot less of it than I used to. So maybe one day? Anyway I just want to say I admire your willpower to refuse rice in Japan! Glad it turned out better than you thought

Also, my Impossible Thing is phone calls with anyone besides family. I'll make a call eventually, but only as a last resort, and I will hate every minute of it!

• Like 3