• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

delalana

Naming the Goal That Must Not Be Named

On 7/12/2019 at 8:33 PM, delalana said:

@Sylvaa Just read through your thread and you are way ahead of me. You are a beast getting through a ton of races and events every year.

You'd be surprised! For me, it's just about being too stubborn to quit ;) 

• Like 2

On 7/14/2019 at 11:52 AM, Xena said:

It's great that you did this!!

I'm wondering if maybe you are running too fast. In my opinion, most people do when they are starting out. They remember being kids and being able to run  like a steam engine. It's ok to go really slowly and build from there.

You probably thought of this too, but you don't have to progress on the C25K schedule unless you want to and feel ready. It's ok to repeat a week and just build the habit. The most important thing is that you are getting an extra cardio workout in.

Thanks! I had to slow myself down a lot on the first couple of runs, so I wouldn't be surprised if I was going a little too fast on some of the later ones. I'm thinking of skipping the run this week in favor of a bike to see where I am on that. If past history is anything to go by, tough, I'll have to most work to do in running and might end up focusing on that for a bit.

On 7/15/2019 at 11:55 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

That’s a race that I would sign up for in the winter just to make sure.   I don’t t know what time frame you were thinking, but you can gain a lot of fitness in a year.  

That's good. I was worried I was going to have to sign up a full year ahead or somewhere in that neighborhood. Winter gives me more than enough time to figure out where I am.

@Sylvaa I did finally get around to trying the cauliflower rice. While I wouldn't say it was exactly like rice it wasn't bad. I think I'll still have to experiment with the cooking method a bit. Steaming in the microwave followed by sauteing on the stove with onions and green beans left it a little too greasy for my taste. I wasn't sure if I could get away without steaming it before the saute, but now I'm wondering if it might have been better just being sauteed from frozen.

Talked to a coach (not the one I intended to talk to) about the swimming technique class. He didn't know much about it, but said he'd talk to the head coach about it and tell him to check his email. My confidence is low that this will get me a result any time soon, so on Thursday morning I'll talk to the coach I was intending to talk to as he seemed to know a little more and at least knew who had taught the class in the past, which would be helpful if I end up having to work with someone else solo. I would have done this today, but got out of the pool after the early coach left, so on Thursday I'll make sure to talk to him before I get in the pool.

Strength Training: Yesterday, for 1/3 for the week so far. While the DOMS are there, they're a lot less intense than normal, which has been lovely.

Veggies: 3 servings today, 2 each Sunday and Monday, so going well so far.

Robotics: No progress. This needs to be a priority for either Thursday night or Sunday.

Oh, and I got in a paddle around the lake on Sunday! Which was both rejuvenating and I think counts as light cardio.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, delalana said:

I'm thinking of skipping the run this week in favor of a bike to see where I am on that.

Sounds great to mix it up!

Between being out with work from lunch through evening and eating dinner at 9:50pm (and thus choosing whatever got in my belly the quickest for dinner), veggies did not happen today. Otherwise food choices were mixed. Too many carbs at the work provided lunch, but a frozen, healthy meal for dinner. Back on track tomorrow.

Didn't make any progress on anything else today, but I hadn't planned to so a neutral there.

• Like 2

Made some progress on the technique stuff this morning. My biggest problem is that I reach all the way across my body with my left arm. It's there pretty much all of the time, but worst right after I breathe. Suggestions to fix this:

- Focus on getting my arm straight into the water and pulling straight back

- Lift my head up a bit so I can see where my arm is going into the water

- My arm is going into the water pretty close to my head, so reaching out farther will also help straighten it out.

- Use fins. They make the kick easier so I can focus more on my arms.

The coach said this will take a long time to fix since I've been building the habits I currently have for years, but she did she visible improvement over the hour swim this morning.

She also texted the person she thinks is running the technique class (her son) who was driving with the head coach (her other son) to ask about that. No answer yet, but hopefully the mom advantage will help in getting their attention and I have full faith in her tenacity to get an answer out of her kids.

• Like 3

3 servings of veggies in today and a whole bunch of yummy new ones in the fridge from the farmer's market.

Did some strength training today, so currently 2/3 for the week.

• Like 4

Decided to go for a run today instead of a bike ride. I'm not sure how my speed compared to last week. I think it might have been a bit slower, but the tracking data from last week had some weird zig zags in it that are throwing the pace off (according to the tracking data, I was running sub 4 minute mile pace towards the end). This week's GPS data looks better and puts me at about an 11 minute mile pace during the runs.

Running felt a lot easier this week than last. I wasn't terribly tired after any of the runs, even the ones at the very ends. I actually got bored on a couple of the walking segments. Turns out this running thing isn't terrible when you don't feel like you're dying.

Food truck at work today was OCheeze, so my exception for the summer, and it was very good. Grilled cheese with bacon, apple, honey, fontina cheese, and walnuts.

Veggies may or may not happen today. I got one serving in at lunch and will get another couple in if I feel like eating again tonight. I skipped eating dinner after the grilled cheese at 2:30. This in and of itself is pretty new. In the past, I've always been annoyed if I didn't get a full meal around both lunch and dinner time (with "lunch time" being pretty flexible). Today, I'm just not particularly hungry and, if I do get hungry, I'm not going to want too much food.

I should get my third strength session for the week in tomorrow morning. Now I just need to convince myself that eating lunch in the work break room (my gym is in the basement of work) on a Saturday is a happier idea than picking up pizza on my way between places...

Today was a good day and I am happy.

Edit: Did not eat dinner, so veggies at one for the day.

• Like 4

Got one veggie in yesterday, and two and a half today. I've been doing pretty well with food most of the month, but it's been hard the past few days. Totally would have succumbed to the ice cream today were it not for eating dinner at 9:30pm...

Did a strength training session yesterday and over an hour walk this morning so the exercise is going well.

Finally got started on the robotics stuff. Wrote up a 3 page guide on everything having to do with the business team. Next steps are to revise for clarity and completeness and then figure out if I need to pare down the information dump and then send it out.

• Like 4

Three veggies and a strength training session in today. And finished a second round of batch cooking so now I shouldn't have to cook again for a good long while.

• Like 1

My favorite way to do cauliflower rice is spread it on a sheet pan (I get it premade, frozen) little oil, salt and pepper, 20 minutes in the oven at 350, it's not watery or greasy and you can use it like that or add to whatever you want.

Last few days have been rough. Got way less sleep than I should have Monday night and have been dragging since. Got in enough veggies for Tuesday and today, but not Wednesday. Both days and, to a lesser extent, today been running way too much on caffeine and carbs. Been concentrating on getting more sleep the past few days and I'm back to almost feeling human.

Also, new goal for what remains of the month. Start getting ready for bed at 9:30 on Monday night. Tuesday is garbage day, so things take a little longer, but that should put me in bed by 10:30, setting me up for 6 hours of sleep before swimming. Hopefully this will be enough sleep to keep me going Tuesday and the rest of the week.

• Like 3

Back to feeling fully human :)

Did pretty well on exercise this week. The only thing I skipped was swimming on Thursday morning (caught up on sleep instead), so 2/3 strength training sessions for the week.

Avoided walking tacos, cake, and beer at work today, so pretty happy about that. 0 veggies so far today, but dinner with 2 servings of them is in the works.

Also went for a run after work today. Based on results from last week, I jumped ahead to week 2 of the cto5k app. Observations:

• Could feel the distance between last week and this week. My body was apparently already used to the one minute runs as the one minute mark was about where I started checking my watch.
  • The runs were pretty doable, the difficultly was pretty comparable to the first week I ran. I'm planning on staying with this version of the workout for at least a little while. The one exception to this was that the last 30 seconds of the overall run sucked, but I can deal with 30 seconds of pain.
  • 2 minutes in between runs is a lot of rest. I was recovering closer to the 1.5 minute mark.
  • My right knee ached a bit at a couple of different points. Nothing too bad, but it was noticeable.
  • Wizards Unite again failed to track my Portkey distance. <_<

For dinner, making roasted kohlrabi, with sauteed mixed veggies and salmon. Thanks for the reminder that I don't have to thaw it first, @Toshimi

• Like 3

Yay for feeling human!

I struggled with C25K, I've found an interval set that works for me and use the gymboss app to remind me when to walk/run. I'm glad it's working for you!!

Well, the end of this story was, truthfully, pretty similar to what normally happens when I make an effort to get healthier. The exercise went well and healthy eating started out fine, but eventually I fell prey to the deep fryer and things snowballed into a series of bad decisions from there.

So not quite sure where to go from here. Goal 1 is making sure I get enough sleep so everything else at least starts out on a level playing field. Goal 2 may be something about a bike as running last night left my knee pretty sore (although I have spent about 15-20 hours in the past week squatting and climbing up and down a step ladder, so just running once a week may end up being fine). As far as food goes, though, I don't know what the best approach is.

But, to not end this on a super depressing note, I did most of the things. I'm working out 6-7 hours a week and actually enjoying it. I've tried both kohlrabi and cauliflower rice and liked both and I've been to the farmers market more times so far this summer than quite possibly in the entire rest of my life. So, yes, there is an enigma of a problem that I don't yet know how to solve, but I'm trying and I officially did a thing.

• Like 1