• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DoubleTrouble

DoubleTrouble's last 4 week challenge

Apparently challenges will be 5 weeks long after this one, so that makes this my last 4 week challenge. Unless it changes back to 4 weeks in the future?

Main quests

Physio: 3 shoulder/back exercises using a green theraband (external rotation, front pull aparts, overhead pull aparts). Goal: 2X for week 1, 3X for week 2, 4X for week 3, 5X for week 4

Bouhler: 3 bouhler exercises described here (also this one). Goal: same as physio

Plyometrics: Jump/hop up and down for 5 sets of 5 reps. Goal: same as physio

Gym: Go lift stuff. Post about it here to feel pressured into doing the correct sets/reps instead of stopping whenever I feel like it. Goal: 2X a week.

Recovery: Do recovery stuff (cardio+foam rolling+stretching) every Monday , and after every gym sesh. Goal: 3X a week

I found an app called Loop Habit Tracker which should make it a bit easier to track everything.

Side quests

Level 20 random hill: I went on the stationary bike last Friday and there was a 'Random Hill' option. I could choose from level 1-20, so of course I tried level 20. I got 5 minutes in before it felt like I was trying to bike uphill through thick mud. I'm going to try and work up to level 20.

Rail QM: QM (Quadrupedal Movement, basically crawling on all fours) all the way to the end along a long handrail [will update with picture on Tuesday]

Climbing challenge: Pull myself to the top of a rope [will update with picture on Tuesday]

0 to 20: Jump up and down a set of stairs 20 times [will update with picture on Tuesday]

Swim: I started learning how to swim recently. I just went for fun at first but now I want to do flips off the diving board. Currently I can doggie paddle, touch the bottom of the deep end, and dive headfirst off the diving board (I panicked once I was in the water but I survived so it counts). Still need to learn how to actually swim, do flips underwater, float in one spot, and use my legs (they don't help me move forward yet). Goal: do a frontflip and backflip off the diving board by the end of this challenge. Bonus: do a front-and-a-half and dive headfirst into the water.

Parkour: Post vids to spice up this thread

If I die during this challenge, it will truly be my last 4 week challenge.

giphy.gif

Edited by DoubleTrouble
Changed swimming and parkour vids to side quests
  • Like 2

Oooh, I think this is the first time anyone has had diving as part of their challenge.  Totally in to cheer you on for this one (I was on the diving team in high school and would really, really, love to have access to a diving board again)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DoubleTrouble said:

Parkour: Post vids to spice up this thread

Yes please! I really want to learn how to do this but every time I try it I feel like such a uncoordinated dufus that I give up. It would be really inspiring to see others doing it. 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2019 at 11:59 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Oooh, I think this is the first time anyone has had diving as part of their challenge.  Totally in to cheer you on for this one (I was on the diving team in high school and would really, really, love to have access to a diving board again)

Hey! You must have been pretty good at diving if you made the team. I've jumped off the board a total of 3 times so I'm basically an expert myself.

On 6/30/2019 at 7:35 PM, h3r0 said:

Yes please! I really want to learn how to do this but every time I try it I feel like such a uncoordinated dufus that I give up. It would be really inspiring to see others doing it. 

I'll make sure to post something

--------

I took some pictures of the side quests this morning. I anticipate the climbing challenge to be the most difficult, followed by the rail QM. The stairs shouldn't be too bad.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, DoubleTrouble said:

Hey! You must have been pretty good at diving if you made the team. I've jumped off the board a total of 3 times so I'm basically an expert myself.

I made the team because I was too slow to stay on the swim team and the diving team needed bodies :D   I did end up getting reasonably good after a couple years of it, though :) 

3 times, eh.  Time to sign you up for some competitions :P 

• Like 2

I tried the rail QM yesterday and almost got to the end before falling off. Jumping up and down the stairs was much harder. Went to the gym and also did recovery stuff. Oh and I hopped for 5x5 in the morning yesterday. Didn't do anything except physio today. Also this line: 

• Like 1

On 7/4/2019 at 4:52 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Wow, that looks really good!  Very nice line

22 hours ago, h3r0 said:

Oh wow! That is awesome! 

Thanks!

-----

Tried the rail QM challenge 2 more time and fell off around 3/4 of the way there both times. Did some stair jumps and rope climbing too. Checked out a free gym in a community center but they had the women's only time slot soon after so I couldn't do much. Forgot to post stats from the gym:

Spoiler

Units: lbs

Tuesday

Squats 1x5x45/65/95/115/115/115, 1x3x135, 1x6x115/115

Deadlift (dl) 1x5x45/65/5/115, 1x3x135

Seated calf raise machine 1x15/13/8/8/11x60

Standing barbell calf raises 1x20x45 (dl), 1x10x45(sl, eccentric)

Other stuff + stretching

Thursday (partial session at community center)

Smith machine squats 1x5xbar(45?)/95/115 (felt easier than usual)

Free squats 1x5x95/115 (felt harder than usual)

• Like 2

On 7/3/2019 at 9:03 PM, DoubleTrouble said:

Also this line: 

Looks good; very smooth the whole way. Love the end silly run, too. QM rails are tough, good on you for working on that. How'd the weekend go? 

On 7/7/2019 at 11:03 AM, Manarelle said:

Looks good; very smooth the whole way. Love the end silly run, too. QM rails are tough, good on you for working on that. How'd the weekend go? 

Haha thanks! Went swimming over the weekend and practiced breathing techniques that I learnt from youtube tutorials that morning. Didn't do any flips but I jumped off the diving board a few times to get used to it. On Sunday there was the weekly parkour meet, I tried some straddle vaults which was fun.

• Like 2

Straddle vaults are beyond my ability.  Maybe someday when I have a better straddle I might give them a try. 

Any diving attepts yet? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Straddle vaults are beyond my ability.  Maybe someday when I have a better straddle I might give them a try. 

Any diving attepts yet? 

I did them over bollards (those short thick poles that block cars), so it was pretty easy. I went swimming on Saturday and did a frontflip off the board! It's very inconsistent though, I could only do it 1/3 attempts.

-------

Main quests are on track so far.

For the side quests, did a 10 min bike session at lvl 15, so maybe its possible to get to 10 min at lvl 20 by the end of the challenge. It feels like rail QM, stair jumps, and rope climbing haven't really progressed. I might give them a serious attempt this week to see where I am with those. Swimming is going well, I'm slowly learning how to actually swim (instead of doggie paddle) and I got my first frontflip off the diving board.

• Like 2

Got the rail QM challenge done on Tuesday. I had to pause several times along the way to catch my breath but I made it with trembling arms to the end!

Jumping up and down the stairs is turning out to be much harder than I expected, I don't think I can do it 10 times in a row (forget about 20). I'll start with 5 times instead. I haven't really worked on rope climbing and the stationary bike for a while, although I did several sets of pullups/chinups at the gym. And jumping up and down the stairs might have a side effect of bike gainz? Anyway, current record on the bike is 10 min at Level 15 (trying to get to 10 min at Level 20). I went on the bike before doing squats last time at the gym, which was a terrible idea.

Forgot to update the gym stats last time, I'll post that later.

• Like 2

On 7/18/2019 at 10:52 AM, raptron said:

Jumping stairs IS tough.

In our parkour group, we sometimes did a challenge where we jumped up the stairs and crawled on all fours on the way down. Good times

On 7/18/2019 at 10:52 AM, raptron said:

Grats on your QM challenge. :D

On 7/19/2019 at 3:56 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Good work!

Thanks! :D

------------------

Story time!

I went swimming on Saturday, and they have this rope that you can swing off to jump into the pool (super fun). I had done it previously on other days, but when I did it this time, I didn't let go at the optimal point and swung back a bit before letting go. As a result, the rope didn't swing back all the way to the lifeguard, so I did what I had seen other people doing, which was to take the rope in one hand and swim back to hand it to the lifeguard. Unfortunately, I struggled a bit (I can't really swim, just doggie paddle), which made the lifeguard question me once I got back up. They told me to take the deep end test which was just to swim the width of the pool and back (no doggie paddle allowed). I made it to the other side, did a weird turn (where my foot touched the ground but I hoped they didn't notice), and got about halfway before inhaling water and having to stop. So yeah. That was embarrassing. ANYWAY, no deep end for me until I can pass the deep end test. Which also means no diving board and no rope swings. :sorrow:

Got a front flip off the diving board before all this happened, and it was a lot easier this time.

Revised goals:

0 to 20 5: Jump up and down a set of stairs 20 5 times

Swimming: do a frontflip off the diving board (done!) and backflip off the diving board by the end of this challenge. Bonus: do a front-and-a-half and dive headfirst into the water pass the deep end test.

Gym stats:

Spoiler

Stretching + foam rolling on all days

July 5

Stationary bike 10 min at Lvl 10

Squats 5x45/95/115/135/135/135/135/135

Couple of scapula shrugs

Pullups 4,4,4,4,4

Deadlifts (dl) 5x45/65/95/115

Chinups 4,4,4,4

Deadlifts (sl) 5x45/55/65/65

Standing barbell calf raises 20x45(dl), 10x45 (sl, eccentric)

July 8

Attempted stationary bike lvl 15, but I didn't set the time limit properly so I couldn't get to the steeper part after 15 min

Glute machine (squat racks were all occupied) 5x110/180/240

Straight leg calf raises (dl, neutral leg press machine) 5x20/80/140/180/200/170, 5x90 (sl)

Seated calf raises 35/25/20/20/20x45

Bit of airdance

July 9

Stationary bike 10 min at Lvl 15

Hamstring curl 20x30(sl), 8/3x60(dl)

Face pulls 5/4/5/3/4x20

Decline leg press several reps at 100/150

Seated calf raises 20x45

Pullups 6

Chinups 3

Deadlift (dl) 5x65

Deadlift (sl) 5x45/55/55

July 11

Squats 3x45, 5x65/95/115/135, 2x3x140

Hanging leg raises 4

Deadlift (sl) 5x45/55/couple more

July 16

Squats 5x45/65/95/115/135/135/135/135/135

Neutral grip pullups 5,5,5

Pullups 5,4

Chinups 5,5

Deadlift (sl) 5x45/55/60/60/60

Seated calf raises 15/20x45, 8x50

Standing sl calf raises 10/6x20

July 18

Squats 5x45

Front squats 5x45/65/70/70/70/70, 1x95, 4x70

Deadlift (sl) 5x45/65

• Like 3

Ah no! More swim practice on the horizon, it sounds like. 

20 hours ago, DoubleTrouble said:

In our parkour group, we sometimes did a challenge where we jumped up the stairs and crawled on all fours on the way down. Good times

NICE.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DoubleTrouble said:

Here's my progress (or lack thereof) of the rope climb:

giphy.gif

Dude, that is freaking impressive. Nice progress. 

• Like 1

Yaaaa, rope climbs!! I've also been working legless rope climbs, but I'm not quite where you're at. ;) 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2019 at 1:44 PM, Manarelle said:

giphy.gif

Dude, that is freaking impressive. Nice progress. 

giphy.gif

On 7/25/2019 at 9:46 AM, raptron said:

Yaaaa, rope climbs!! I've also been working legless rope climbs, but I'm not quite where you're at. ;)

Rope climbers unite!

On 7/25/2019 at 10:14 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Nice!  very impressive! 

Thanks!

--------------

I've been going swimming more frequently in an attempt to level up faster. After my most recent swim session, I thought it would be nice to do some parkour at a spot nearby. I left my bag unattended and someone stole my phone. :( I had a line on it that I wanted to post, but since that's lost forever here's an older one:

Challenge recap!

Main quests

Physio and bouhler: DONE!

Plyometrics: Only missed 1 day. I'll count it as done

Gym: DONE!

Recovery: Missed 2 days I think. I'll take it 

The habit tracking app (Loop Habit Tracker) was great, I'll definitely keep using it in the future.

Side quests

Level 20 random hill on the stationary bike: The most I did was 10 min at Level 15. I wanted to work up to 10 min at Level 20, but that didn't happen in this challenge.

Rail QM: I crawled all the way to the end! Success!

Rope climbing challenge: Since I started from a standing position, I only climbed 1/3 of the rope or less, even though it looks like I got around halfway and back down. I don't think I can go all the way up yet. I'll wait until I can get 3/4 of the way up and back down (starting and ending in a sitting position) before attempting the full climb.

0 to 20 - revised to 0 to 5: I jumped up and down the stairs 5 times. It was tough.

Swim: Did a frontflip off the diving board. Failed the deep end test (swim the width of the pool and back without doggie paddling). Started swimming more frequently with the goal of passing the test so I can get back to the diving board.

Parkour: Posted 2 videos

• Like 2