• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Akura

Akura's Advanced Assassin Studies

Been kinda depressed and unmotivated the last week. So, I'll keep it simple. At least I try... So, for this challenge, I simply do what assassins do...

Day job

Working on my to-do list

I'm at a very frustrating phase at work. Mostly, because I have to wait for some colleagues to give me their feedback. Alas, they are swamped with other stuff to do. So, I want to make sure to clear one thing off my to-do list first thing in the morning to get the momentum at work going.

Night job

Game development

Still focussing a lot of mental energy on game dev. I want to make something productive every day whenever possible. But this is not a serious goal. I'll do a lot anyway, so doing something daily is just a bonus.

Keeping fit

Dieting

Working out

I still have quite a bit of weight to lose. For this challenge, I'll try to stay below 2000 kcal every day.

Moreover, I started to work out again. My back feels much better and the breathing exercises my therapist gave me seem to help a lot. SO, no excuses anymore. I'll try to work out three times a week. But I still have to find a good schedule.

Blending in

Practising the guitar

Practising Go

I'm getting a bit lazy with practising the guitar. So, I want to focus on that a bit more.

And I want to put a little bit more energy into studying Go. In particular, I don't want to miss any meet up on Tuesday.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Simple & straightforward :) Following along

Welcome!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A lot of chaos concerning my PhD defence today. My examiners and I try to find a date: First, the 13th of August was proposed; then the 16th of September. Which would have been fun with me being on vacation the week the prior. Also, I need my diploma at the latest on the 23rd of September in order to keep my job. And now it seems to be on the 7th of August. Maybe...?

Anyway, I was pretty annoyed this afternoon. I left work early, did laundry and worked out.

Day job -:- to-do list:

Did quite a few things in the morning. Hence, I had no scruple leaving early after the bureaucratic kerfuffle.

Night job -:- game dev:

I created a sprite for a bat enemy. And did a bit of restructuring of my game system. Maybe I'll do a bit more this evening...

Keeping fit -:- dieting & working out:

Working out. (Third time in four days. Yay!) My foot pain got much better over last week or so. I still don't know why though. Anyway, I'm working on getting my flexibility and stability back in my ankle. But because of the spontaneous workout, I ate a meal more than originally planned.

Blending in -:- guitar & Go:

Practised the guitar a little bit; but I wasn't focussed enough. And I did a few Go problems on my way to work.

• Like 2

In the afternoon I got informed that my PhD thesis defence probably won't happen before October... Yay...  So, quite unmotivated today.

Spent the morning making screenshots of various programs. Shouldn't have taken that long, but I had to adjust each program slightly and suddenly it was noon!

Nothing...

Ate 2222 kcal. Not too bad, but still bad.

Went to the Go meet-up today and hadn't time for anything else tonight.

• Sad 2

16 hours ago, Akura said:

In the afternoon I got informed that my PhD thesis defence probably won't happen before October... Yay...  So, quite unmotivated today.

:( Suck. Is that going to cause issues at work? Hopefully they're understanding of bad timing...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Manarelle said:

:( Suck. Is that going to cause issues at work? Hopefully they're understanding of bad timing... 

Well, if everything turns south and I don't have my diploma until the 23rd of September, then I won't get a contract extension for October. In that case, I'll probably get my new contract to start in November and get paid double that month. Nothing too severe, but suuuuper annoying.

But! Today my advisor told me that it'll be on the 7th of August! Probably... Still a bit confusing... On a more positive note: Out of the 41 professors who have to accept my dissertation, 23 already said yes. And the vote only started yesterday.

Had a seminar in the morning and worked on my talk for my thesis defence in the afternoon. No "proper" work today...

Created a menu (without functionality yet...) for my game prototype. Maybe I'll be able to post a small demo video in a few days...

My tracking app tells me 1975 kcal. But I have the feeling I forgot something... Anyway, not too bad for four meals. And the food itself was rather carb heavy but reasonably healthy. (Two small sandwiches, a salad, yoghurt with spelt and fried bread with eggs.)

Wanted to go for a run. But my ankle pain got a bit worse since yesterday. So I worked out a little bit at home and tried to learn to jump rope for a few minutes.

Practised the guitar a bit; stumbled a lot.

On 7/4/2019 at 9:06 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Positive turnaround?   Sending good wishes your way that it actually does happen on (or close to) Aug 7

After I talked to my advisor again, August 7th seems to be it! I haven't got a solid confirmation yet, but everything seems to be set.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday afternoon I fell asleep on the couch and was absolutely useless once I woke up. Today was much better.

Slowly chipping away on my to-do list. Everything should go faster, but at least I make progress.

Nothing yesterday. Will spend the evening today coding.

Worked out today. Was quite exhausted afterwards and so I did five minutes of jumping ropes instead of going for a run afterwards.

Yesterday I ate too much, mostly due to snacking and having a terrible craving for a cheese sandwich after my nap. Today I ate slightly more than 2000 kcal, but that's okay for a workout day.

Practised the guitar a bit today. Felt kinda stuporous for the most part. But the intro for Dust in the Wind is improving. So, that's something.

And I studied a few professional Go games today. I should do that much more often...

• Like 2

On 7/5/2019 at 3:14 PM, Akura said:

After I talked to my advisor again, August 7th seems to be it! I haven't got a solid confirmation yet, but everything seems to be set.

giphy.gif

On 7/5/2019 at 3:14 PM, Akura said:

Slowly chipping away on my to-do list. Everything should go faster, but at least I make progress.

Out of curiosity, and I only point this out because I do it, too... How fast "should" things go?

• Like 1

On 7/7/2019 at 4:57 PM, Manarelle said:

giphy.gif

Thanks!! smiling-face-with-open-mouth_1f603.png

On 7/7/2019 at 4:57 PM, Manarelle said:

Out of curiosity, and I only point this out because I do it, too... How fast "should" things go?

Well... Just... faster? Usually, it boils down to me estimating the time needed. Then I know that in 90% of all cases it takes three times as long. But I'm always a bit disappointed when it actually does take so long. Especially with writing texts, coding or any other "creative" work, there's often this thought of "Why did this take so long?! This shouldn't be so much of a problem!"

On Saturday both my fiancée's brother and her mother had their birthday and today is mine. Moreover, it was the 60th birthday of my fiancée's mother. So, we spent the whole weekend celebrating and eating. Hence, not much happened...

Tomorrow will be better again! flexed-biceps_1f4aa.png

Got a few small things done today. But I couldn't get the "big" task done since every other minute someone came to congratulate me (or moan over the broken coffee machine... smiling-face-with-open-mouth-and-cold-sweat_1f605.png)

Yelled at my code today during my lunch break. Slow progress...

Lots of food in the last few days... Lots of sitting, too...

Nothing except doing a few Go problems on my phone

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Akura said:

Well... Just... faster? Usually, it boils down to me estimating the time needed. Then I know that in 90% of all cases it takes three times as long. But I'm always a bit disappointed when it actually does take so long. Especially with writing texts, coding or any other "creative" work, there's often this thought of "Why did this take so long?! This shouldn't be so much of a problem!"

Mkay, just curious. :) That's part of why I started tracking my hours on crafting - one, I wanted to know how long I spent on a given piece, and two, yeah, it always feels like it takes longer than it "should." The last pair of work pants I tracked at just under 11 hours; the pair I'm working on now took an hour and 20 minutes just to cut the stupid pattern pieces out of the fabric. It should NOT take that long to cut out fabric! But it did, and I've got an expectation set for how long it'll take overall, which helps me be more patient with myself. 

6 hours ago, Akura said:

Yelled at my code today during my lunch break. Slow progress...

:D Yup, I hear you on this one. Stupid obstinate inanimate objects.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 6:25 PM, WhiteGhost said:

Happy Birthday!!!

Thanks!

Last few days had been quite busy. A lot of things going on at work. And I spend most evenings watching Stranger Things 3 with my fiancée. Not much going on challenge-wise.

On the plus side, my boss and I won an award for the best undergraduate lecture last semester. party-popper_1f389.png Also, I fixed my body scale (fixing = changing batteries) and it turned out I lost a little bit of weight during the last one-and-a-half weeks despite eating a lot.

Well, I screwed up at work quite a bit, but it did turn out to be not so bad. Apart from that, I'm slowly making progress on my to-do list.

I re-structured my game prototype and made a bit more progress. Also, I created a blog: https://bluesoft.blog/  There's nothing on it so far though...

Keeping fit -:- dieting & working out

I worked out on Tuesday despite being super unmotivated all day long. Yesterday my fiancée got off the bus a stop too late and was standing in front of our favourite Italian restaurant. She texted me that she'll buy me past if I run to her. So I ran. Not the best idea without warming up and after not running for four weeks or so. But overall it went quite well.

I ate quite a lot the last few days. But it's only a guess as I was too lazy to track.

Practised the guitar only once the last few days. And I did a few Go problems. But I didn't have much time to sit down, relax and focus on anything.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Akura said:

I re-structured my game prototype and made a bit more progress. Also, I created a blog: https://bluesoft.blog/  There's nothing on it so far though...

"Monologize" Nice...

5 hours ago, Akura said:

I worked out on Tuesday despite being super unmotivated all day long. Yesterday my fiancée got off the bus a stop too late and was standing in front of our favourite Italian restaurant. She texted me that she'll buy me past if I run to her. So I ran. Not the best idea without warming up and after not running for four weeks or so. But overall it went quite well.

Now that's motivation. Hope things slow down for you a bit. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Hope things slow down for you a bit

Yeah, probably. After my PhD defense, everything will get better! Hopefully...

Today my fiancée and I visited my mum and looked at a few locations for our wedding. Unsucessfully, however... And since the summer break started in some areas of Germany, we sat in the car a long time.

Nothing.... Weekend...

My first proper blog post and a small demo of my game prototype: https://bluesoft.blog/whats-stratics/

Ate okay; a little bit too much though.

Came home late; super tired; did nothing...

• Like 2

Spent the morning at the cinema watching the Apollo 11 film. (Soaking wet due to a storm...)

In the afternoon I managed to motivate myself a little bit to do things despite being super tired.

Nothing.... Weekend...

Nothing...

Ate just less than 2000kcal.

Went for a run. It was very good even though my ankles and knees complained a little bit.

Studied a professional Go match. Not for long though, since dinner was ready much sooner than expected...

• Like 2

Stomach pains throughout the day... Unmotivated...

Started writing a short monograph/article about using interactive visualisations in school lessons.

Tried to create a sprite for a slime monster. But I struggle a bit to make expressive pixel art.

Ate an additional yoghurt with kefir to help my stomach. Hence, 2200 kcal.

Nothing...

• Like 1

Again, stomach pains in the afternoon. Went home and have been lazy. But I bought probiotics at the apothecary. That always helped in the past...

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

hope something works soon

Ah, well, my problems will resurface every now and then. As long as they don't hinder me too much in my day-to-day life, I'll be ok.

Felt much better today. But while cooking supper everything in my torso started to hurt. I guess it mostly muscular pain due to overdoing it a little bit with my workout. But it also felt as if my stomach hurt a little bit. But it got better after eating. Hah!

Sat in the underground for quite some time today and managed to write a few pages.

Created a few more sprites and working on a blog post about my struggles with pixel art...

slime_big.png     soldier_big.png

Did work out and it went pretty well overall.

I ate more than 2000 kcal, I guess, but it's hard to say. I bought a chicken wrap for lunch and had to guestimate its calories.

Practised the guitar a little bit and studied a Go game.

• Like 2

My stomach still feels a bit weird. I guess it might the probiotics restructuring my digestive system. Nothing bad; just a bit annoying.

Did a dozen small things in the morning but almost nothing in the afternoon. BUt the overview article I'm writing might be finished tomorrow.

Finished a few sprites and started writing on a new blog post. Here's the one from yesterday: https://bluesoft.blog/struggling-with-pixels/

Still a little bit of back pain. So I've been extra lazy today and spend the evening working on my blog.

Also, I ate a burge rfor supper. So, beyond 2000 kcal.

Practised the guitar a bit. I now can keep up with the speed of Hard To Concentrate, but I still struggle with its rhythm.

• Like 2

FWIW, I think your sprites are fine. The color looks good, and the gradients make them appear rounded/ 3D well. Might sound odd, but I love your slime pencil sketch, it looks adorable (which I realize is not the intended reaction, but still). 

Hope your stomach settles down soon, that overshadows everything one does when it acts up. 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 5:27 PM, Manarelle said:

FWIW, I think your sprites are fine. The color looks good, and the gradients make them appear rounded/ 3D well.

Thank you! There are definitely some details are way off -- for example hair -- but, yes, the overall look is fine.

On 7/19/2019 at 5:27 PM, Manarelle said:

Might sound odd, but I love your slime pencil sketch, it looks adorable (which I realize is not the intended reaction, but still). 

Thank you, that was the intended look! Half dangerous, half cute.

Yesterday my fiancée and I checked out two more locations for our wedding and both are great. We want to make a decision tomorrow evening. Then we'll focus more on finding a new flat. Speaking of... We looked at one that would be free in September. It's not quite as we imagine though. But we get a better feeling for what we want.

My stomach was a bit upset the last few days, especially after breakfast, but overall things are improving.

Finished the article on Friday.

Wrote a new blog post about projective geometry. Since I programmed a few interactive diagrams, it took much longer than I planned to. Maybe a bit too mathematical for most readers here, but here it is anyway: https://bluesoft.blog/introduction-to-projective-geometry-part-1-homogeneous-coordinates/

Worked out today and was super winded afterwards. Whenever I do two circuits of exercises I'm fine, but a third time always kicks my ass.

Ate between 2200 and 2400 kcal the last days. Still, I gained 4 pounds in 3 days. Biology is weird...

A little bit of guitar on Friday; nothing special...

• Like 2

I have been super tired and unmotivated all day long. But I got a few little things done. In particular, I had a small epiphany about what to talk about in my thesis defence presentation.

Started to create lecture notes for our teaching platform. I haven't done that ever, so it was pretty hard to get into it. It took me basically all day, but I finished the first topic.

Made some improvement on my blog post from yesterday. Since my thesis defence is in 16 days, I might prioritise that during the next two weeks...

Went to an Italian restaurant with my fiancée. So, definitely more than 2000 kcal, but not too much more.

We came home late, so nothing here.

• Like 2

Did a few things and felt super productive at work. However, I didn't get many things done.

Nothing...

Snacked on some bread and had a club sandwich for supper. So, not really good...

Went to the Go meet-up and played quite well.