• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

analoggirl

The enjoyable and the necessary

1-15 July

Work out 6 times

Relax like I have no worry in the world

Eat ALL the fresh fruit and veggies

Protect my skin (use sunscreen, scrub, hydrate)

Quest week 15 July

Work out 3 times

Work on thesis

Summer reading

Quest week 22 July

Work out 3 times

Work on thesis

Summer reading

Concepts

Use table format with time tracking & how it made me feel. Also, positive actions à la Mad Hatter. See how these handy dandy methods work for me (if I apply them consistently).

Edit: will probably do this in the fourth week of the challenge. Otherwise take it with me to the next.

Train of thought beginning this challenge

There are things in life you cannot control, and there are things you can.

After spending much time during and outside of challenges working on the skill 'work when it is working time, play when it is time to relax', I think I figured it out. Still do not apply consistently but I know how to when I have to. At the very least for the critters and 'bosses' that I currently have to face. Although I still have to improve on incressing meditation sessions so my subconcious stress does not make me prone to sickness around deadlines.

So now is the time to work on focusing my energy efficiently. After a down time starting in 2015, my overanalysing and tackling myself to the ground returned in the summer of 2017 to almost-full-force it had in my t(w)een years. (I think that's the time line at least?)

I have mostly overcome it and slowly levelled my Fright/Flight physical responses to normal levels in this past year. 

But I still spend way too much time thinking and  therefore less time doing. Including less time doing fun things.

As I managed to get myself to meditate & work out this past month, I managed to catch my tangents in the morning (and during the day). And I had to laugh at how easily I got sidetracked from everyday tasks. Often my tangents are related to past events that I could have done/reacted to better.

I need to focus more on the things I can change. Often the question "What am I learning from this memory/analysis that I can use in the future?" If nothing comes up, I have to let go of the thought.

The title 'the enjoyable and the necessary' refers to spending this summer both on very deep relaxing and getting myself up to optimal mental & physical health to handle next year. Even though I am supposed to listen to my body and not get sick when I need my health the most, having a head start never hurt anyone.

PS - I like to colour my life with a bit of dramatic flair. See the above as the written representation of a newbie firing herself up with epic quest soundtracks. Eh, if it works it works right? :)

• Like 3

13 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Eh, if it works it works right? :)

Absolutely, you do you.

I LOVE that you’re starting the challenge with relaxation. It’s so underrated but also very much needed to be able to function and perform well.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 1:50 PM, Mad Hatter said:

I LOVE that you’re starting the challenge with relaxation. It’s so underrated but also very much needed to be able to function and perform well.

Indeed. :)

On 7/3/2019 at 7:12 PM, raptron said:

I love itttt. And the goal schedule looks very solid. 

:)

On 7/4/2019 at 10:15 AM, WhiteGhost said:

How is the relaxation coming?

Pretty good. Reading a lot.

Overcoming some of the "icky feelings" that I get in sea water so I can actually enjoy the beach. Like fobias for sea weed, like there are sooo many and allll the bugs in there will bite me haha.

Seriously though, every time I am in water I see bugs--- OK let's not talk about how much of a  queesy city girl I am.

I worked out once by running in intervals agains the sea water up to my knees, and swimming as fast as I can. Then another time this week by swimming for half an hour in the swimming pool.

I was excited they had a gym at the hotel without any prices mentioned on the website, making it look like it was free to use. But then it turned out you have to pay every visit. And it looks like a very simple small gym too. Hmf :)

Maybe it is that way everywhere. Most people do not work out when on vacation.

I usually want to go on a mountain vacation but for the first time since I have been little I craved sea and eating small fishies ( and drinking beer on the beach, now as I am older). Had been talking about that for a while and my mom and i got this little retreat for our birthdays from my grandparents. It is so fun and I am enjoying myself greatly :D

I do not think I will make a third workout today. We will see, maybe before bed if I do not feel sleepy again. I am so excited to be here. 

• Like 3

Hmm I think I need to set up a table format in a post so I can copy-paste it on my mobile.

This morning I was awake pretty early. Twisted and turned and woke up for a beach walk. Saw the sun rise (5.20 AM), did a short warm up, then went for a swim :) Idk if it was OK though, on the board it said use starts from 9 AM and I was in there from 7 until 8. 

I am just going to assume it is okay if you know how to swim and take your resppnsibility as an adult, bc there is no guard until 9. Unless I am told otherwise.

Anyway. Fun times. Stare downs with sea gulls. Sun rises. Moving and enjoying the morning solitude. Meditaton was interrupted by the guy who runs the sand cleaning machine, but I helped him by moving the chair I was sitting on. (So generous of me :p)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Maybe it is that way everywhere. Most people do not work out when on vacation.

No it’s usually free, it’s garbage that you have to pay!

The vacay sounds sooo nice and relaxing though!

• Like 1

Aw, yay. Your beach vacation sounds great so far. :)

And the posted times are probably just about life guards, like you said. You'll be fine. :D

On 7/8/2019 at 10:18 AM, Mad Hatter said:

No it’s usually free, it’s garbage that you have to pay!

Mehh oh well. I am just going to spite them by working out in free ways haha.

On 7/8/2019 at 10:18 AM, Mad Hatter said:

The vacay sounds sooo nice and relaxing though!

Yesss. Really practicing that mindfulness so I can soak in all of it. 

On 7/8/2019 at 6:01 PM, raptron said:

Aw, yay. Your beach vacation sounds great so far. :)

And the posted times are probably just about life guards, like you said. You'll be fine. :D

I see! Thanks!

This week is almost over. I moved by playing/running a bit more actively yesterday, counting it as moving no. 2.

I'm going to get on the yoga mat today, otherwise I HAVE to go out and play with my baby sis all the time she wants to tomorrow.

She is a great lil' coach but I also get mentally tired from running around with her. Sometimes her talking still need some attention to be understood and she wants to change it up all the time.

Wish I had younger kids in the family around me growing up. Wouldve prepared me a bit more for the dynamo that she is haha!

So, get the mat on the ground in a bit and only play moderately tomorrow when we meet back up, or be lazy today and go with her and do almost anything her heart desires like yesterday. It's up to me. :p

• Like 2

I did it! Depending on my energy levels tomorrow I might do some intensive play quality time with the sis anyway.

Next year will be kinda crazy and who knows what will happen. Carpe diem and such. I can always do me time but quality time is a bit more distracting.

• Like 2

Ohhhh I just put on AND closed shorts that I could not even pull up last year! 

I am very grateful to have been able to travel and pass the subjects I needed last year. Life cannot always be in balance. Thank youuu body. I am glad I have been able to train my discipline muscle enough to give back to it now.

It has been good for me to see my body as a vessel that carries me from point A to B and needs upkeep. This also results in silly internal dialogues. "Why can't I just download mental-and-physical-anti-fragility.exe? :(:p

I mean, I do not really plan to earn my living with my looks so why worry about them and spend energy and time on them when other goals are at hand? However, you do have to take care of your body in order to keep at it. We are still not at the point in science where you can just float around as a brain. Which cartoon was that again? :')

Anyway. Yaaaay

PS  - although I did read in a FT magazine article that HR does look at weight and stuff bc that might indicate how high the risk is that someone would fall sick in the future... But let's not think about that right now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, analoggirl said:

Which cartoon was that again? :')

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?  No,  that brain still needed a body to get around :D

• Like 1

Futurama had heads in jars, at least? 

It is good to take care of your body but the balance between worrying too much and taking care of it can be a thin one, I find. Glad you're finding balance!

• Like 2

On 7/14/2019 at 2:28 AM, analoggirl said:

It has been good for me to see my body as a vessel that carries me from point A to B and needs upkeep. This also results in silly internal dialogues. "Why can't I just download mental-and-physical-anti-fragility.exe? :(:p

That would be so nice. But then I suppose everyone would do it, and being in shape wouldn't be a status symbol anymore (because let's face it, it is). Good call to think of your body as a vessel... would you give your car crappy gas, never get the oil changed, and expect it to last forever? 

Glad you had a good vacation, and that stinks that they wanted to charge for the gym. Nice assassin choice to work out for free instead. :)

Here are some giant floating brain comic ideas... I can say as that I ever watched any, sorry. 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 4:49 PM, Manarelle said:

That would be so nice. But then I suppose everyone would do it, and being in shape wouldn't be a status symbol anymore (because let's face it, it is). Good call to think of your body as a vessel... would you give your car crappy gas, never get the oil changed, and expect it to last forever? 

Exactly!

On 7/16/2019 at 4:49 PM, Manarelle said:

Glad you had a good vacation, and that stinks that they wanted to charge for the gym. Nice assassin choice to work out for free instead. :)

Ohhh good point. Now I feel (even) cooler. Even because I am glad I am learning how to 'bob and weave' and make time/find ways for moving at all since a very long time of trying to force it.

Sooo

Due to stuff and things I will not be able to get my summer readings scanned this week. I did a bit of thesis work on Monday and on Wednesday. I will try to do some today. Due to stuff and things I got to spend more quality time with my grandparents this week so I am allowing it. Again, carpe diem. 

My plan is to work out on Sat and Sunday. 

It has honestly been a whiiile since I have had a summer vacation without an underlying worry or the other. Partially due to actual outer stuff, but if I really wanted to there is enough to worry about now as well. So I guess I am finding my center.

I am sure life will throw some things at me again to keep me on my feet and make me stronger soon enough, otherwise I will because it is fun. But for now, I will enjoy this.

• Like 2

It is week 4! I rode my bike for 34 minutesish to an appointment today, more uphill parts than my usual routes. I count that as a win, since there was a bus that stops less than 50 meters from the place I had to be. I will do some yoga later an call it a day on which i have worked out.

Hopefully, I will be able to go to the library in another city that most always has all the books I need to scan some stuff. so I am able to start with the summer readings...

And thesis to-dos... will resume tackling them tomorrow. 

In the next challenge, I will probably be trying to apply a siesta / get up early regime to deal with the temperatures these weeks. :)

• Like 3

It is week 4! I rode my bike for 34 minutesish to an appointment today, more uphill parts than my usual routes. I count that as a win, since there was a bus that stops less than 50 meters from the place I had to be. I will do some yoga later an call it a day on which i have worked out.

Woo! 

In the next challenge, I will probably be trying to apply a siesta / get up early regime to deal with the temperatures these weeks. :)

Ooh, I like this plan. 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2019 at 7:59 AM, analoggirl said:

Hopefully, I will be able to go to the library in another city that most always has all the books I need to scan some stuff. so I am able to start with the summer readings...

And thesis to-dos... will resume tackling them tomorrow. 

Solid goals, and yay for library availability. The siesta/ get up early thing is brilliant... it is just way too hot lately to do anything. 

• Like 1

Spinned this week, went to a pilates class, and today I think I will just do a yoga video again. I want to whip (sp?) out the inline skates and practice... mainly balancing exercises and my ankles and how to break in the garden. But we will see how that will go.

The weather these last couple of days was stormy/rainy so it kind of cooled off. So I will stay at home, means no biking so I will do some mini cardio video as well. In theory I should ask myself every day if I will get at least 30 minutes of movement...Food for thought :p but one step at a time.)

I weighed myself and saw that again, I have not lost any weight, maybe even gained a bit. Although it might not be a fair comparison. I think the last time I weighed myself I was at another point of my cycle. Kind of difficult to track progress non-obsessively with all the potential factors that could play a role. 

I will just focus on eating well and moving, is my conclusion yet again. Sometimes I just get curious what the scale says.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2019 at 6:56 AM, analoggirl said:

I will just focus on eating well and moving, is my conclusion yet again. 

It's a good conclusion! 

In theory I should ask myself every day if I will get at least 30 minutes of movement...Food for thought :p but one step at a time.)

Good to tuck away in the back of the mind. Sounds like you had a pretty solid challenge, though, congrats. 

Spinned this week, went to a pilates class, and today I think I will just do a yoga video again. I want to whip (sp?) out the inline skates and practice... mainly balancing exercises and my ankles and how to break in the garden. But we will see how that will go.

You are correct, it is "whip out" the skates. I completely read that as "how to break my ankles in the garden..." what breaks would you be practicing?