• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

KB Girl

KB Girl battles the chaos monster

:surprise::cheerful: Big news indeed!

I understand the ambivalence.  Thanks for sharing that as well :)

On 7/6/2019 at 4:04 PM, KB Girl said:

And I'll allow myself to have a little identity crisis, because how the F do you even train if you don't prep for competitions. 

Maybe you can focus on something you have always wanted to do but did not have time to because of competition prep :) Anything coming to mind? For me,  performances have the adrenaline of competition without necessarily requiring the full physical fitness. Just as an amateur, it's very enjoyable. It does force you to "train" and prepare mentally, just not to the extent of pro events.

On 7/8/2019 at 4:27 PM, raptron said:

OH HEY! New KB bb on the way?! Congrats to you and Jaap and Emma!!! :)

Also yep. It's okay to freak out! It's okay to mourn the fact that things are changing even if you are excited about what the changes are bringing. I feel like lots of people train not to compete in anything at all, so it's definitely very possible. ;) 

HMMM! Yeah, definitely. Perspective shift required. 

Thank you! The bold bit was lovely for my head <3 

And um... possible yes.. but HOW?!? :D how do those people do it! 

On 7/9/2019 at 3:43 AM, Manarelle said:

Congrats on the new wee one and I guess grats on the unbroken record for fertility? Gotta look at the positives. :)

Aw, yup, there are the positives. 

There is usually a bit of sadness in change, as Raptron pointed out above. As far as goals for training, mine are just to not be a decrepit old person whenever I hit "old," which takes the pressure off the day-to-day, so long as I keep making progress overall. Your brain will find a non-competition one that works for you. 

Yes! Really I'm very lucky! 

Not being decrepit highly pregnant is a good goal.. and prepping for after the pregnancy.. yea.. I can even sort of twist that into prep for a competition 2 years from now x) 

On 7/9/2019 at 4:50 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Wow. Congratulations!

Thank you! 

On 7/9/2019 at 6:58 AM, @mu said:

:surprise::cheerful: Big news indeed!

I understand the ambivalence.  Thanks for sharing that as well :)

Maybe you can focus on something you have always wanted to do but did not have time to because of competition prep :) Anything coming to mind? For me,  performances have the adrenaline of competition without necessarily requiring the full physical fitness. Just as an amateur, it's very enjoyable. It does force you to "train" and prepare mentally, just not to the extent of pro events.

I'm honestly so glad to have this place to share these thoughts. 

What comes to mind is handstands and ring things, but I remember my last pregnancy those were the first things to go.. but you gave me a good idea anyway- I always prefer to train jerk and my snatch is lagging behind.. this will be a good time to focus on snatch performance and technique- without requiring the full physical fitness. And perhaps something else will come up.. 

• Like 1

Bit of time between updates again- just been exhausted and heading straight for bed in the evenings. 

My anti-chaos battle has it's ups and downs- I haven't always done laundry, but my kitchen counters have mostly been clear.. and I put fresh sheets on all the beds on Monday, vacuumed + mopped the floors downstairs on Tuesday, vacuumed and sorted through a lot of laundry on Wednesday... and today (Thursday) I vacuumed upstairs really really well- like moving furniture type well. And I dusted. It was overdue. 

Monday was a rest day. 

Tuesday I did pushups, lunges, split squats and pull-up negatives in the morning and kettlebell work in the evening (longcycle waves from 6 -> 18 and 12kg snatch 50 each arm). It was a really odd situation to be lifting bells with the recent news. And I kept it lighter than I usually would. There is an element of masochism in lifting bells for competition that I sort of enjoy- but not without that purpose. 

Wednesday was another rest day but we did go for a hike.

Thursday I did backsquat waves (5x45, 3x50, 1x55, 5x50, 3x55, 1x60, 5x55, 3x60, 1x65) which was heavier than it should have been.. or heavier than I would have liked I suppose. I also did ring rows (5x5) and a barbell snatch complex finished by a Romanian deadlift max set. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, KB Girl said:

My anti-chaos battle has it's ups and downs- I haven't always done laundry, but my kitchen counters have mostly been clear.. and I put fresh sheets on all the beds on Monday, vacuumed + mopped the floors downstairs on Tuesday, vacuumed and sorted through a lot of laundry on Wednesday... and today (Thursday) I vacuumed upstairs really really well- like moving furniture type well. And I dusted. It was overdue. 

I initially read this as you vacuumed the entire house three days in a row and was in awe. Still in awe, but makes more sense that you'd do it in areas. 

• Haha 1

Oh whoops.... a whole week without an update. 

I've been.. not great, but not bad either. I've just been really tired (thanks to first trimester and a (probably related) bout of insomnia). I've not kept up with all of my daily anti-chaos fighting, so things have been more chaotic (surprise!). It all kind of reminds me of the early days with Emma when simply waking up + bathing + getting dressed + breakfast could take all morning. There have been naps. And too much time spend on my phone. 

Anyway, some high/low lights; 

• We had a date night on Saturday, so I took a nap after work, showered, put on a black dress (with my wildling shoes, haha) and we ate sushi (yes yes I know) at the best sushi restaurant in the wide area. It was rather special because we're on a strict budget and had saved up for this since January. Then we went to play pandemic with friends, which was brilliant. 
  • Yesterday I was sneezing about 90x an hour.. and even though I've gotten really good with the no-peeing, after 8 sneezes in a row my pelvic floor was like "fuck you I can't handle this" so I peed myself twice and then I cried when Jaap walked through the front door right after the second time. And then he gave me hugs and took Emma to go buy me some maxi pads so I could take a shower in peace and then still go on the adventure I'd planned with Emma that afternoon. We took the train to the next town over that has a REALLY awesome boardgames/toy store. They have a lot of stuff on display so Emma amused herself there for over 2 hours and didn't want to go when it was time to catch the train xD 
  • I found some peace with training, figured I'd just get awesome at snatch and get as strong as possible and make my hips as badass as possible. I've taken some more rest days than usual but also had good training days. 
  • Anti-chaos plan has been failing spectacularly and this morning I had no clean underpants.. but I put a load in before going to work and when I got home Jaap had hung everything and vacuumed and mopped and cleaned the kitchen and cooked and cleaned the toilets and the windowsills. Best way to say "I love you". 

Training log; 

767521894_Foto18-07-19230003.thumb.jpg.4ac19b0820e382b4761a1c3cc0fd51f0.jpg

I actually also skipped some days in my bullet journal, which adds to the chaos.. so my plan for the rest of the challenge is to at least keep up with that because it'll help with the chaos in my head and that'll usually translate to some real life chaos fighting. 

On 7/17/2019 at 4:46 PM, sylph said:

How's your week going so far?

Thanks for asking! 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, KB Girl said:

We had a date night on Saturday, so I took a nap after work, showered, put on a black dress (with my wildling shoes, haha) and we ate sushi (yes yes I know) at the best sushi restaurant in the wide area. It was rather special because we're on a strict budget and had saved up for this since January.

Ahhh, yum.

• I found some peace with training, figured I'd just get awesome at snatch and get as strong as possible and make my hips as badass as possible. I've taken some more rest days than usual but also had good training days. 

Heck yeah. :D 

• Anti-chaos plan has been failing spectacularly and this morning I had no clean underpants.. but I put a load in before going to work and when I got home Jaap had hung everything and vacuumed and mopped and cleaned the kitchen and cooked and cleaned the toilets and the windowsills. Best way to say "I love you". 

LOVE. THIS.

I actually also skipped some days in my bullet journal, which adds to the chaos.. so my plan for the rest of the challenge is to at least keep up with that because it'll help with the chaos in my head and that'll usually translate to some real life chaos fighting. 

Writing things out helps me immensely too!

• Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 3:24 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Jaap sounds like a good guy.

On 7/19/2019 at 3:52 AM, Elastigirl said:

Sneezing like that just isn't fair to the pelvic floor! Jaap sounds super sweet.

He really really is. And he combines it with not being a pushover, which I also really appreciate. 

• Like 4

On 7/18/2019 at 11:03 PM, KB Girl said:

I found some peace with training, figured I'd just get awesome at snatch and get as strong as possible and make my hips as badass as possible. I've taken some more rest days than usual but also had good training days. 

Awesome! is it true that with after a pregnancy, the body becomes more flexible?

On 7/20/2019 at 10:06 PM, @mu said:

Is it true that with after a pregnancy, the body becomes more flexible?

Joints and ligaments get looser during pregnancy to prepare for the birth.. that's also probably what causes pelvic girdle pain, so I'm not enthusiastic about it.. already my wrist and elbow joint in the right arm are bothering me way more than usual.. 

I think you could technically try to keep some of that extra flexibility- but it's a bit like training flexibility in hypermobile people I think? definitely needs to be approached with caution. 

Friday we attended a really odd wedding.. there were 9 bridesmaids and groomsmen, which might not be that odd (?) but I've just never seen it before. After the ceremony and food I thought there would be music and dancing, but they had karaoke instead- which might have still left the option of dancing, but it was only slooooow love songs x) 

And it was run on a beamer, on youtube.. after one of the songs there was a commercial for vaginal infection cream x) 

Saturday (workday) I bought the 'unbreakable hips' program from Kate Galliet, it was on sale and fairly cheap so I decided I could use the inspiration. I tried out some of the exercises from program for half an hour or so and they're definitely interesting. Also my hips are still sore. I also vacuumed the whole gym (2 hours work) and did my training; 

- 10:00 snatch with 10kg, 180 reps 

- backsquat ladder in sets of 5 (5x35, 5x45, 5x50, 5x55, 5x60, and 3x65 was the end)

- deadlift rep ladder (3x65, 4x65, 5x65, 6x65 and 11x65)

Sunday I was sore and sleepy (Emma woke me up at 6, ugh), so I only did some bodyweight work after classes, only 1 or 2 sets for each exercise; 

- ass. pushups, Bulgarian split squats, single leg DL, ring rows, ass. pull-ups and lunges. 

Sunday afternoon we spend at someone's (my brother gf's client/friend) vacation house that has a pool and a jaccuzi. It was very nice to spend that time with my family and I just feel very lucky to have all of my family so close and that everyone gets along so well and that most of them like games and handstands and things like that. And Emma had a great time, which is really the main ingredient of a good day. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Friday we attended a really odd wedding.. there were 9 bridesmaids and groomsmen, which might not be that odd (?) but I've just never seen it before. After the ceremony and food I thought there would be music and dancing, but they had karaoke instead- which might have still left the option of dancing, but it was only slooooow love songs x) 

And it was run on a beamer, on youtube.. after one of the songs there was a commercial for vaginal infection cream x) 

Hahah, that sounds very different... Karaoke! Did you sing a song? :D 

Saturday (workday) I bought the 'unbreakable hips' program from Kate Galliet, it was on sale and fairly cheap so I decided I could use the inspiration. I tried out some of the exercises from program for half an hour or so and they're definitely interesting. Also my hips are still sore. I also vacuumed the whole gym (2 hours work) and did my training; 

- 10:00 snatch with 10kg, 180 reps 

- backsquat ladder in sets of 5 (5x35, 5x45, 5x50, 5x55, 5x60, and 3x65 was the end)

- deadlift rep ladder (3x65, 4x65, 5x65, 6x65 and 11x65)

Busy day. 

Sunday afternoon we spend at someone's (my brother gf's client/friend) vacation house that has a pool and a jaccuzi. It was very nice to spend that time with my family and I just feel very lucky to have all of my family so close and that everyone gets along so well and that most of them like games and handstands and things like that. And Emma had a great time, which is really the main ingredient of a good day. 

So nice! :) 

What a good summer weekend. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

after one of the songs there was a commercial for vaginal infection cream x) 

Hot. :P Though guess it could be appropriate if it's one of those wedding parties.

I love all the little Jaap/Emma/family stories, it's all very cute.

• Haha 1

On 7/22/2019 at 4:32 PM, raptron said:

Did you sing a song? :D 

Absolutely not! :D

giphy.gif

This last week has been rather miserable. Thursday it was 41 degrees Celsius, which broke all the national records. It was NOT fun. Friday night it was 26 degrees at its lowest. Needless to say, we didn't get a lot of sleep. While some people at the gym were crazy enough to train (we don't have airconditioning because this just normally doesn't happen), I skipped a couple. Last one I did was on Tuesday and then this morning (Saturday) I got a lot of hip things in but then I hurt something in my left quad.. and since it's still over 30 degrees I just... stopped instead of changed the plan. 

Adding to the misery are really fun pregnancy symptoms. I'm so nauseous all day (and night) long that I can barely eat and hardly sleep. This usually lasts 'till week 12-16 and I'm at week 7. Yay. 

On a more positive note; we did have a lot of ice-cream, early morning and late evening walks with the dog into the woods and the small streams.. and I cancelled all my appointments on Thursday and we made it a pleasant day despite the 41 degrees. And I got my quarterly taxes done today. 

• Like 2

Oh my nausea in this heat that’s rough :( 

But yay for making the most of it and not just melt away :) 

• Like 1

The last few weddings I've been to there have been a surprisingly large umber of bridesmaids and groomsmen. I guess that's the thing now.

Hope the weather cools down a bit for you.And woot for getting your taxes done.

• Like 1

It's cooled down a bit :) Just last year I couldn't imagine ever being relieved that it went down to 'only' 30 degrees. 

Energy was still very hard to find so I didn't do anything major, but I made sure to get a couple low intensity sets in for all the important stuff; I did lunges, split squats, goblet squats, single leg deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts, oh press, floor press aaaand ring rows. I also did lots of hip stuff while waiting around for closing time. No work was done :P

In the afternoon I spend some much needed time with my bujo, did some personal administration and in the evening went for a walk with the dog, did some laundry, cleared the kitchen counters and swept the floor. 

The chaos kind of won this challenge, but at least I finished somewhat productively? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I did lunges, split squats, goblet squats, single leg deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts, oh press, floor press aaaand ring rows.

Sounds like a lot for a low energy day!

10 hours ago, KB Girl said:

The chaos kind of won this challenge, but at least I finished somewhat productively? 

I think you did great this challenge considering all the things going on!

• Like 1

On 7/27/2019 at 10:15 AM, KB Girl said:

Adding to the misery are really fun pregnancy symptoms. I'm so nauseous all day (and night) long that I can barely eat and hardly sleep. This usually lasts 'till week 12-16 and I'm at week 7. Yay. 

Ooof, hope the nausea doesn't stay with you that long. :(

On 7/27/2019 at 10:15 AM, KB Girl said:

On a more positive note; we did have a lot of ice-cream, early morning and late evening walks with the dog into the woods and the small streams.. and I cancelled all my appointments on Thursday and we made it a pleasant day despite the 41 degrees. And I got my quarterly taxes done today. 

Ice cream definitely helps!

In the afternoon I spend some much needed time with my bujo, did some personal administration and in the evening went for a walk with the dog, did some laundry, cleared the kitchen counters and swept the floor. 

It's a never-ending war and I feel like you had some good, tactical victories. ;)

8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I think you did great this challenge considering all the things going on!

Thank you! :)

2 hours ago, raptron said:

Ooof, hope the nausea doesn't stay with you that long. :(

Me too, very much..

2 hours ago, raptron said:

It's a never-ending war and I feel like you had some good, tactical victories. ;)

Thank you :D