Surely Im not TOO old for this

Hey, I am a 48 year old, lets be blunt here, fat ass. Maybe 6 foot (just under) and 125kgs roughly. I love my job, I love my family, but to be blunt, I often don't think much of myself. I am sort of active (I walk a fair bit, I have been pretty good with the gym for the last month or so, and I lead a cub pack), but I have self sabotaged my way around not losing the weight. 

Years of being "big fella" has hit hard on me at times to be honest, and my self worth has suffered.

I do know when I exercise and meditate, I do a LOT better, so that's going to be my first challenge. I am going to exercise at least 5 times a week, and meditate daily. Part of me wants to say is that an ok first challenge, but most of me doesn't care too much anymore, I need to do this for me to step forward, so I will do it. 

I hope to post here every couple of days, more for my own perceived accountability to myself than anything.

Thanks for listening to my rant!

• Like 4

Me

Race Orc (if I am to be honest, that or giant blob), Level 2, Attributes str 5, dex 1, stam 1, con 2, wis 3, cha 3

You are definitely not too old! That is the age I was when I decided to get in shape and joined NF.

• Like 3

Wisdom- 13.5 Dexterity- 10 Charisma- 11 Strength- 12 Constitution-10 

Elastigirl Just Living Life - January 3 to February 6 New Year Challenge! - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"The chief goal of living is not to merely stay alive" Mike Rowe

13 hours ago, Scott Walters said:

I do know when I exercise and meditate, I do a LOT better, so that's going to be my first challenge. I am going to exercise at least 5 times a week, and meditate daily. Part of me wants to say is that an ok first challenge, but most of me doesn't care too much anymore, I need to do this for me to step forward, so I will do it. 

I hope to post here every couple of days, more for my own perceived accountability to myself than anything.

Welcome! Meditation and exercise are excellent habits to work on, and the challenge threads are great for accountability and motivation.Good luck!

• Like 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

You are never too old to make decisions to better yourself @Scott Walters. And I can see from your Danger Mouse avatar that you are among like-minded friends (nerds who want to be the best self they can be).

Welcome, and let me know if I can help in any way.

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Returns to Middle Earth

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has Hope

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

Thank you all, I appreciate it.

Well three days into July (yes I am an Aussie), I have meditated daily and have been to the gym every day. Today it will only be a walk, but better than nothing (I have a crazy busy 13 hour day ahead!!).

As a bonus, my mum, who has been in hospital all week, was home last night, so that's cool.

Yesterday was interval sprints (well that sucked), deadlift and seated shoulder press. The lifts were to test 1 rm again, and scored a pb on both (150kg dead, 80kg seated press), so all in all its been good time!).

Thank you all ahain for your help.

• Like 5

Me

Race Orc (if I am to be honest, that or giant blob), Level 2, Attributes str 5, dex 1, stam 1, con 2, wis 3, cha 3

image.png

I say embrace it!!!

You are NOT too old to exercise and be fit, but it's kind of funny as a rallying cry. Like when your legs are sore from yesterday's workout and you drag your a** and gym bag back out the door for another day of it.

Maybe you are too old for this shit:

23 hours ago, Scott Walters said:

I often don't think much of myself

(I mean that nicely...it's time to change the way you think about yourself)

p.s. I'll be 46 in October.

• Like 5

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

48 year old fat asses of the world unite! I'm right there with you. And no way are we too old. 

On 7/1/2019 at 8:46 PM, Scott Walters said:

Years of being "big fella" has hit hard on me at times to be honest, and my self worth has suffered.

Man, I feel that. Best of luck crushing this challenge. I'll be keeping an eye out for you. 

• Like 4

Thank you all so very much. Xena, no offence at all taken, I wouldn't be here talking to you all if I wasn't doing my best to change it all. You know us Aussies, we don't tend to talk about our feeling much, so its a big thing to us.

Amfetz21, don't stress it is a lot of fun, and I have found it a brilliant way to add a bit of extra movement and activity into my life. I have grown to love the camps and all the ways we can help kids into outdoor activities, and away from  screens (yes I get the irony!).

Yesterday was a day off gym (as I expected), but I got an hour walk in, some meditation, and an hour or so of roller blading with the cubs. It was a LOT easier 20 years and 20kg ago!

Edit: I was going to leave it at that, but screw it, I am proud of myself. Normally, I would have not skated. I am too fat, old, uncoordinated. I might fall, I might hurt myself, I might look stupid. But I just went well I am fitter than I was, I am keen to see if I can do this anymore, and it looked fun. So yay me

• Like 5

Me

16 hours ago, Scott Walters said:

Edit: I was going to leave it at that, but screw it, I am proud of myself. Normally, I would have not skated. I am too fat, old, uncoordinated. I might fall, I might hurt myself, I might look stupid. But I just went well I am fitter than I was, I am keen to see if I can do this anymore, and it looked fun. So yay me

This is awesome. Once you've kicked down that first mental barrier, it's easier to do the next awesome thing, too.

Also, fellow Australian here, hi! Though I have washed ashore in American and will be helping them eat grilled animals today to celebrate them kicking out the English (I think that's what the fourth is about). Not that there's anything wrong with not having kicked out the English yet. I mean, we're not a republic but we still barbecue things, right? And who wants to go to the trouble of changing all the coins? 

• Like 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

21 hours ago, Scott Walters said:

You know us Aussies, we don't tend to talk about our feeling much, so its a big thing to us.

I spent a year in Townsville back in college. I have a huge soft spot for Australians. I feel like they are really honest people, but not particularly aggressive or rude. What you see is what you get. (of course I know it's a big country with all different kinds of people).

4 hours ago, Harriet said:

but we still barbecue things, right?

Heck yes you do!

21 hours ago, Scott Walters said:

I might fall, I might hurt myself, I might look stupid. But I just went well I am fitter than I was, I am keen to see if I can do this anymore, and it looked fun. So yay me

Awesome!! I did fall and badly bruise my tailbone last fall. This makes me want to try again!

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Welcome to the rebellion! I'll be 50 in October so you are definitely not too old! What types of exercises are you doing? Is there a plan you're following or just more of a general "i need to move" type of plan?

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 Version

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 56

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|

|My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | Our Business Venture |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Hey guys. I am following a program from a place called "industrial fitness". It is a strength and conditioning thing, lifting, and mostly interval circuits, with some long slow cardio chucked in. I am enjoying it so far.

I am also doing some basic mobility and some yoga here and there also, maybe 3 times a week.

So far so good.

I have done a fair bit of mindfulness training, but I am going back through an online one from "smiling mind" (a free mindfulness app). I know the developers reasonably well, one is a phd from a university in Melbourne.

• Like 4

Me

Yes it is. But boy, I have "leveled up" there, and it has gotten tough!

• Like 1

Me

So I am not great at replying, but I have gotten pretty good at going to the gym. I have been pretty much every day this month, and followed my programming to the letter. That's kinda cool for me, as I would often get injured or give up by now. I am not only doing it, but I am enjoying it all at the moment. I see my mood improving when I do go the gym, especially since I have gotten a little stronger and fitter again. 

I have also stuck to my meditation daily. Some days much more than others, but I have stuck to the habit every day, which again I am very happy I have managed. It is certainly a good help for me, and I find I am coping with stress and pressure much better. I am pretty stoked that I started, put myself out there (or out here as the case may be), and stuck with it. I have a bit of a habit in the past of giving up on myself, so yay me.

Thank you all for your kind words and support, it is appreciated.

• Like 5

Me

I had my toughest workout yesterday (lots and lots of legs, which I am certainly feeling today), but I got through it and I am still having fun!

Meditation some days is awesome, other days it feels like I am just sitting around with my eyes closed. Today was the latter. Interestingly, I tried on two separate occasions, and both times it really wasn't something that felt ultra productive, BUT, one of my meditation teachers in the past told me that boredom is just part of the gig sometimes.

• Like 3

Me

Oh my, followed up yesterday with a bit of a chest/shoulder burner. Lots of bench, flys, and push ups. It is possible today I wont be able to clap! My programmer has certainly upped the ante recently. I think he might just need to calm his tits!

I have been meditating more the last few days, and while I am no zen monk (I am not even monkey magic monk), but I am still enjoying it all, and I think I am coping better.

Interestingly, I have been looking into doing Kakoda trail in 2021, which I am very excited/nervous about. It has been interesting to see peoples reaction to me suggesting it. Some have been amazingly supportive, and just been like a cheer leader, some (sadly close to me) have basically told me I am too old and fat. Surprisingly, I have almost laughed them off. I know I CAN, and if I decide to, it will happen! Watch this space

• Like 4

Me

3 hours ago, Scott Walters said:

Interestingly, I have been looking into doing Kakoda trail in 2021, which I am very excited/nervous about. It has been interesting to see peoples reaction to me suggesting it. Some have been amazingly supportive, and just been like a cheer leader, some (sadly close to me) have basically told me I am too old and fat. Surprisingly, I have almost laughed them off. I know I CAN, and if I decide to, it will happen! Watch this space

I'm intrigued. What's Kakoda trail?

14 hours ago, Scott Walters said:

I have been meditating more the last few days, and while I am no zen monk (I am not even monkey magic monk), but I am still enjoying it all, and I think I am coping better.

That's an awesome development. 

Kokoda track

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kokoda_Track

Bit of a big deal for Aussies, tough, but very emotional (especially for those of us who lost some of our ancestors there)

• Like 2

Me

I am SO SORE. I didn't get to the gym yesterday, and may not again today.

But stuff it, I am not doing nothing. I walked hills for over an hour yesterday, and I will again today. I also did a quick yoga class yesterday and will tonight (just to loosen everything up a bit), and I am still meditating "my ass off" (my 1 1year old daughters words). So boom, happy days 

• Like 2

Me