Surely Im not TOO old for this

On 7/16/2019 at 8:45 PM, Scott Walters said:

Interestingly, I have been looking into doing Kakoda trail in 2021, which I am very excited/nervous about. It has been interesting to see peoples reaction to me suggesting it. Some have been amazingly supportive, and just been like a cheer leader, some (sadly close to me) have basically told me I am too old and fat. Surprisingly, I have almost laughed them off. I know I CAN, and if I decide to, it will happen! Watch this space

Oh wow, sometimes even otherwise awesome people suck.

You aren't too old.

That trail looks hard. I have no idea if you are fit enough for it now or not. But yes, you can train for it and do it. I ABSOLUTELY agree with you.

Would you do it with a guide/group?

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

On 7/16/2019 at 8:45 PM, Scott Walters said:

Interestingly, I have been looking into doing Kakoda trail in 2021, which I am very excited/nervous about. It has been interesting to see peoples reaction to me suggesting it. Some have been amazingly supportive, and just been like a cheer leader, some (sadly close to me) have basically told me I am too old and fat. Surprisingly, I have almost laughed them off. I know I CAN, and if I decide to, it will happen! Watch this space

I looked it up the Kakoda trail/track hiking challegne and I believe I have achieved (this year) a somewhat similar challenge.

the Alleghany 100 miles Hiking challenge is a yearly event that challenges people to hike 100 miles in 48hours.   I've been part of that challenge for 4 years.  the first two I did the lesser 50miles in 24hours.... in 2018 I made 80 miles before I was hypothermic; defeated by 10hous of constant rain!

this year I Made it!

out of 64 hours I was one of 17 to do so.  Generally only 20-30% of people starting this challenge complete it!   it took immense training persistence and determination to do so.  I had a hiking partner that was slow (unfortunately, he didn't make it) and so, I got a slow start and ended up sacrificing all my sleep to get to the end.  didn't sleep a wink in 60hours.  I was beyond exhuastion!

This year I am 47 so I resemble that remark about being "too Old'.  LOL

Oh Cynic of what a 48 year old can do!  hear me and be amazed!

we may not be spring chickens but you CAN and ought to do amazing things in your 'youth'

here's the thing with the young; they've often got no determination and patience.   All that fitness is sometimes, wasted as when little efforts don't work they Give up!  with age you can learn that "NO" is infact "Not yet" or even "Almost there".

this is JUST the sort of thing we "Rebel" against!    welcome to our community!!   if your going to become a determined Australian hiker I'd love to follow your journey.  I would guess July wouldn't be a big hiking month in your area.  thats ok.  keep posting and keep pushing against limiting thoughts.

you'll find that breaking through what you think is possible is an incredibly rewarding idea!

• Like 3

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

On 7/17/2019 at 7:54 PM, Scott Walters said:

I am SO SORE. I didn't get to the gym yesterday, and may not again today.

But stuff it, I am not doing nothing. I walked hills for over an hour yesterday, and I will again today. I also did a quick yoga class yesterday and will tonight (just to loosen everything up a bit), and I am still meditating "my ass off" (my 1 1year old daughters words). So boom, happy days 

Great job!

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 Version

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 56

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|

|My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | Our Business Venture |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Naaawww you guys are all super cool. Thank you very much. 

So this week hasn't been my favorite. Last Friday I was at the gym, and did a decent warm up, then two warm up sets, then first working set, and BOOM, felt my disc tear a little. I am actually a chiropractor in real life, and have torn this one before a little, so I sadly knew what was happening. There goes the weights for a bit.

BUT

I am super proud of myself. I sooked for a wee bit, then I figured out what I could do, and have done it ever since. Walking daily (5 to 10 km), an online gentle yoga thingy (yoga with Adriene on the tube), and swimming every second day. Ok, very different training style than I have been doing, but still cool, and still doing my head the world for good.

Meditation has been going well, and I have just bought some decent blue blocking glasses for the evenings, and my sleep is certainly better for it (and I either look like Bono, or a massive geek, or perhaps both).

Thank you all again for your support, it is certainly a great thing for my body and mind. 

• Like 5

Me

Race Orc (if I am to be honest, that or giant blob), Level 2, Attributes str 5, dex 1, stam 1, con 2, wis 3, cha 3

Ouch, that doesn't sound fun at all, glad you're able to adapt!

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 Version

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 56

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|

|My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | Our Business Venture |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

So I am finishing this month on a holiday. By myself! I never do that, yet here I am. I towed my caravan about 12 hours north to a place called coffs harbour, and am basically spending a week doing whatever I want to do. So far that has entailed sleeping, swimming in the ocean (big deal, it is way too cold where I live, and I live 5 hours from the beach), yoga and meditation and a lot of walking. 

I also bought a Fenix 5 plus monitor. I had been looking at something that would monitor sleep, exercise, heart rate, and some fitness metrics, and this thing came up at over 50% off. So now its mine. Its had a really awesome extra benefit, which is that with the notifications going to the phone, I am pulling my phone out to check much much less often. I was forever seeing what was pinging me, mostly rubbish, but then Id spend a few mins on the phone. Now I see right away, and 75% I just don't bother with. WIN!

My injury is going very very well, and I am really enjoying doing yoga daily (just a youtube ultra beginner video), and I feel more mobile and relaxed, and dare I say it, happy. I find it interesting that we tend to explore what it can be to live well more on holidays then we do in our day to day life. I mean there is nothing to stop me getting up a little earlier every day, doing some stretching, and meditate to start the day, but I by and large don't. Maybe this week will help me set some new guidelines on what it is for me to live. Feeling happy

• Like 5

Me

Race Orc (if I am to be honest, that or giant blob), Level 2, Attributes str 5, dex 1, stam 1, con 2, wis 3, cha 3

Hey Yall, I am back at home. I was due to stay another day, but it was raining and was forecast to rain HEAVY for the next few days, so I came home. I really enjoyed taking some time for myself, and having a bit of a break, and most importantly, prioritising myself and my own wellbeing first. Its not a normal thing for me, and it felt pretty amazing.

I also didn't workout that hard, but I ate a lot better too, so surprisingly, I have dropped 2 kg!

Back to some more challenging workouts from tomorrow, but keeping the yoga and meditation going! 

• Like 4

Me

3 hours ago, Scott Walters said:

Hey Yall, I am back at home. I was due to stay another day, but it was raining and was forecast to rain HEAVY for the next few days, so I came home. I really enjoyed taking some time for myself, and having a bit of a break, and most importantly, prioritising myself and my own wellbeing first. Its not a normal thing for me, and it felt pretty amazing.

I also didn't workout that hard, but I ate a lot better too, so surprisingly, I have dropped 2 kg!

Back to some more challenging workouts from tomorrow, but keeping the yoga and meditation going! 

Neato. Sounds like a success!

• Like 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

• Like 1

Me