GoodDoug joins the circus?

GoodDoug

This had to be a dream. A fever dream brought on while recovering from his wounds. Otherwise it just didn't make any sense. GoodDoug the half-ogre was in full face paint with a great big red nose. The Ranger guild leader was there, in top hat and tails acting as ring master. GoodDoug was leading a procession of trained Velociraptors parading around the ring juggling bright red balls.

To be honest, the half-ogre wasn't ready to wake from this dream, he wanted to see where it would go...

giphy.gif

Let's try something a little different this challenge. I know I am starting a little late, but just got back from a trip this weekend and still recovering from jet lag and just general exhaustion from doing so much cool stuff on vacation. In thinking about this next challenge, I realized that I am in a good groove with eating and the gym, and I started to get a good groove with running before I got sick and then trundled off to Europe for vacation. I also grabbed my weighted juggling balls and did a few throws... which inspired this challenge. Handstands have been a small part of my recent challenges, and I'd like them to be more a part of this challenge. Add in some juggling and rings and we have a circus themed challenge coming.

Maintain:

Track everything in LoseIt - we have a work challenge related to tracking in LoseIt coming in the middle of this challenge so I have yet another reason to keep up with it

Fill my rings - I'd like to fill all three rings, but I will be okay with missing the exercise ring once a week. Otherwise I tend to stay up too late doing jumping jacks for 10 minutes to fill the stupid ring

Gym twice a week - I'd like to move to three days a week, but I also want to take a day for Rings and so want to keep it realistic

New stuff:

Handstand practice every day - at least 3 kicks a day, with more when I have the time and motivation

Juggling every day - Using my weighted juggling balls for at least part fo the time

Rings workout once per week - right now, just dips and pull-ups

Running twice a week - Get back into running 

Life stuff:

Bullet Journal as a habit - Been doing well at this and enjoying how it helps out

Figure out a side hustle - I just want to do something that isn't my actual job that can bring in a little bit of cash

As I write this out, it seems like quite a lot, but much of it is maintenance. I give myself permission to revise this if it looks like I can't get to something. But I really want to make sure I at least attempt all of  these things. 

• Like 3

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

Yesterday, I brought stuff to go to the gym... well I brought everything but shorts. I got to the gym, took off my shoes, then realized I was missing my workout shorts... sigh. So, I put my shoes back on, brought the rest of my gym bag to my office and then went for a decent walk. I tracked everything yesterday and did some juggling and handstand practice. If I had my challenge figured out, I would have done the Rings workout yesterday. But, I brought shorts today and will head to the gym after I do a little more work.

One thing I want to do is after I get two weeks of juggling every day is to buy a new set of nice silicon or stage balls. A great example of an appropriate reward.

• Like 3

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

Your story made me laugh. I could picture this half ogre leading around a bunch of dinosaurs.:biggrin-new:

Welcome back, hope you had a good vacation.

• Like 1

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Yesterday was good, I got into the gym and did a decent quick workout. Work is busy right now so I have to be focussed during my workouts, but that is a good thing right now... keeps me from wasting time or overdoing it. 

Did a 15 minute juggling session this morning and just realized how out of practice I am. What used to be my standard warm-up: 20 cascade, 20 reverse cascade, 20 tennis, 20 under the net tennis and 10 shower each way, is way too hard for me to do all the way through. I've got cascade down fine, but reverse cascade (which should be dead simple) was throwing me off. So I worked on cascade and reverse cascade. I have a long ways to go... but I'm excited to get back into it.

Did some handstand practice this morning, but just a couple of kickups.

I am hoping to go running tonight and do some Rings tomorrow.

• Like 3

Healers Brigade

Current

Hello friends

With the American Independence Holiday yesterday, I was prepared to need some extra support today. But, I am on track with handstand practice every day and juggling practice every day. Yesterday was some good handstand practice, with a bunch of kicks and some good holds... though I was a little sore the rest of the day. Juggling is coming back, I can do the basic tricks... just not consistently. But it is getting much better as I can now mostly get through my warm-up after a couple of tries.

Handstands were tough this morning, and I am trying to not overdo it. But, I ended on a high note with a really good kick up and hold. I think I need to switch up my practice a bit I might be hitting a rut. 

Food was pretty good... I grilled steak and veggies and we had a salad. Dessert was fresh berries and homemade whipped cream (I skimped on the sugar, but it didn't need it) so feel pretty good about making great choices for food on a day that should have been difficult.

Hoping to get to the gym today for deadlifts.

• Like 3

Healers Brigade

Current

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

Your dinner sounds amazing!

It was very, very good. I grilled red peppers, zucchini, and onions over mesquite coal. Even the youngest asked for more.

• Like 1

Healers Brigade

Current

The ringleader's voice rings out: "Come one, come all! Marvel in wonder at the Half-Ogre Clown!"

GoodDoug cartwheels clumsily into the ring, picks up the balls and starts juggling. Entertaining the audience of penguins.

"Dreams are weird"

Recap:

Tracking: Tracked food every day. Went over cals one day, but it was fine

Fill rings: All but one day, so I think it was good

Gym twice a week: Did well, sore from getting back into it

Handstand: Every day. Crushing it.

Rings: Didn't do this at all... so sad

Juggling: Every day... a couple of times a day. Getting much better

Running: One day, not two. I'll try and get on this this week

Did the bullet journal thing and it is still helping

Overall, a decent start. I was worried that I had bitten off more than I could chew and I think I was right to worry. I need to make running a priority and so ring work will be something I will try and do once or twice this entire challenge. I am doing well on the habits I've already formed, and doing well with handstands and juggling (which are easy, as I can fit them in quickly in the morning) I just need to make running a priority.

• Like 4

Healers Brigade

Current

Quick update:

Did a hard workout at the gym yesterday (very sore today)

Might try and run today once I get home, will have to see if I feel up to it. Part of why running is so hard for me right now is that I want to do it in the evening... because if I do it earlier in the day, I just want to nap all day afterwards. Ands I can't afford to do that at work right now. But, I am also really tired from work when I get home in the evening. So it is hard to get going. I know I just need to get started and it will all work out, but I'm having trouble just starting.

• Like 3

Healers Brigade

Current

I can totally vouch for morning runs...

after mine I felt great!

I think espacially in the summer it is THE time to run.

---

and I can also totally vouch for how Hard it is to get a good early morning.. Espacially if you're fatigued.

thats a Pretty Big TRex,  Mr halfogre!

• Like 1

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

Bad news: I didn't go running last night.

Good news: I did go running this morning. Though I really, really want a nap right now.

I'm still sore from lifting on Monday, I have to remember to keep it low key after I take a little break. I think I'll be good to lift again tomorrow but not good with feeling so sore right now.

On a better note: My reflection in the mirror looks much better than it did at the beginning of the year. I now wish. had started taking progress pictures back then... I still see flab and the work that needs to be done, but I can now also see the progress that has been made. I need to make a mental note to stop flexing every time I see my reflection!

BEEFCAKE!

• Like 3

Healers Brigade

Current

I'm a big proponent of morning runs as well. Even if I want to take a nap afterwards, I find that once I've had my caffeine fix for the day, I'm usually way more energized on mornings where I've exercised than on mornings where I decide to postpone the workout until the evening.  You're doing great-- keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Level 4, Amazon Ranger

Current Challenge:  NicBot-5000 enters Recovery Mode

Previous Challenges: 12, 3,  4, 5, 6

PRE REBOOT CHALLENGES: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Various links and sundry: Battle log, Respawn post

Thanx for the encouragement, guys. It really helps.

This morning I substituted my gym time for Rings work. Holy cow! It was both harder and easier than last time. Harder in that my arms are noodles afterwards, and had that "trouble washing hair afterwards" moment in the shower. Easier in that with my lighter weight and overall better fitness, the ring pull-ups had me carrying most of my weight for each rep. It has been a long, long time since I could do that. I look forward to doing full, unassisted pull-ups at some point.Now that I've done it once, I might find myself in the garage with the rings a little more.

Did some more juggling and feel good about my diet. Here's to crushing week 2. Now to not get injured or sick... and avoid the week 3 slump...

• Like 2

Healers Brigade

Current

Yay!  Found you now.   Annnnd followed.

True story, in highschool, they offered a 'Circus Stunts' gym class for PE.   I totally took it.   I learned how to juggle, ride a unicycle, walk on stilts, do the bollarolla and other neat partner/group acrobatics.   It was the funnest class ever!!!   (Can't do any of it now except for some very remedial three ball juggling.)

Nice goals.  I love how you're using the good habits and momentum to just add some finishing touches to it all.

• Like 2

Level 71 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

23 hours ago, Starpuck said:

True story, in highschool, they offered a 'Circus Stunts' gym class for PE.   I totally took it.   I learned how to juggle, ride a unicycle, walk on stilts, do the bollarolla and other neat partner/group acrobatics.   It was the funnest class ever!!!   (Can't do any of it now except for some very remedial three ball juggling.)

I still dream about running off to join the circus... and there is a good circus school just an hour and a half away from me...

I have an old unicycle, but never really learned how to ride it. I can do stilts and rolabola but am still a long ways away from being able to do many circus act stunts. Part of the reason I am working on handstands is I always wished I was able to do tumbling and acrobatics. I am now exploring local tumbling and acrobatics classes for fat old farts like me. Like I need yet another hobby...

• Like 5

Healers Brigade

Current

I love doing pull ups on rings!

• Like 1

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Quick update on the weekend before I do my weekly recap:

Did a good bit of handstand training on Saturday and kicked up a few times on Sunday. Actually recorded my handstand, and while it doesn't look great, it looks much better than I expected. Juggling went well, and I'm now looking to buy some new bags and balls as a reward for practicing every day these past two weeks.

Tracked food all weekend and did another rings workout on Sunday. My arms are noodles, but I'm glad I did it.

• Like 2

Healers Brigade

Current

Week 2 recap:

Food tracking went really well. I'm still on a good trend with my weight and waistline measurements

Filled my rings every day, even when I thought I wasn't going to make it

Went to the gym only once... but I made up for it by doing two ring workouts, so I feel pretty good about it

Did ring workout twice. Surprised myself at how well I did

Juggled every day, getting better

Handstand practice every day. It, too, is getting better

Ran twice

Did the Bullet Journal and it is helping. Skipped one day, and I missed it.

Now I'm dealing with being sore. My back is still sore from the workout a week ago... and now my wrist is starting to bother me. I'm not sure if the wrist is from the handstands or from the juggling. I'm going to keep doing those things, just not overdoing them. If my wrist doesn't start to get better in a couple of days, I'll take some time off from those things and let it rest. I'm also going to stay away from the gym until my back feels better. I hate feeling like I am regressing, but I know I need to take the time to heal correctly.

I will try to keep running and do some more rings as long as those aren't bothering me.

I feel like I get this way every once in a while where I get really tired and everything is sore. I'm just not sure how to fight it.

• Like 4

Healers Brigade

Current

On 7/16/2019 at 11:41 AM, GoodDoug said:

I'm also going to stay away from the gym until my back feels better. I hate feeling like I am regressing, but I know I need to take the time to heal correctly. 

I am in the exact same boat right now and taking the same advice.   I remind myself that a week off from lifts (as it will end up being for me) doesn't mean I lose everything, it means I gain the benefits of resting.

Still so hard to do though!    I hear ya on the tired and sore bits, I think for me, I get into a real good groove and my mind brainwashes the body to think all is well, like...

Brain:  "Look at you body, you're so amazing!  Doing the things.  All the things!  Yes!  It feels great doesn't it!?  Have some endorphins!"  FWOOOOOSH

Body:  "Yeah... yeah, it does feel great.. OOOh thanks, that feels great too!  I'ma keep feeling great!!"
Two days later...

Body.oO( What did I let him talk me into??? Ooooof.)

Your updates sound great!   So glad things are going well for you!

I am jealous that you own a unicycle!!!!

• Like 1

Level 71 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

I think you are doing the exact right thing to fight it. Soreness is your bodies way of saying to slow it down a bit. It sucks. But like Starpuck says, yo are gaining the benefits of resting. Maybe also take the time that you would have gone to the gym and do some stretches or walking

• Like 1