GoodDoug joins the circus?

GoodDoug

3 hours ago, Starpuck said:

doesn't mean I lose everything, it means I gain the benefits of resting.

I want to frame that and put it up on the wall

2 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Maybe also take the time that you would have gone to the gym and do some stretches or walking

Thnx for that, I've been taking longer walks than usual every day

Still keeping up with handstands and juggling. In fact, my new juggling equipment I ordered came in yesterday. I got some Speevers which are great. Perfect weight and size and already so much better than the old yucky bags I had before. Also got some basic stage balls that are a great size for my large hands and look really good. The kids commented that it looked like I knew what I was doing when I started juggling with them. Stage balls are great for that. Of course, it meant that I needed to clean up all the various juggling crap in the living room as I got a well deserved lecture about buying more crap when I can't even put away the crap that I have.

Handstands are good, but I feel like I need to get out of my comfort zone with those. I do a few kick-ups against the wall and call it good. Every once in a while I do walk-ups and crow pose, but haven't tried to kick up free standing, or tried to do any falling drills in a while. I feel like I could progress to no wall handstands once I get past this bit of fear holding me back.

Still really sore with my back. Still taking time away from the gym. I am also not running right now, as that exacerbates the pain. But, lots of walking and now some more stretching will hopefully make up for that.

• Like 3

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

I was just talking to a runner at work ; that mentioned how back trouble was limiting how much she ran.

interesting.

I guess I'll need to be careful.

I haven't had issues (yet) with back-aches- I'm inclined to (sometimes) have back troubles

I agree that walking is better for this.

its interesting to see you dive into this.  I don't know that I could ever do this- coordination has been a life-long problem with me.

• Like 1

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

Back pain can be the worst! I hope your back feels better soon. I definitely support the walking idea. When I did something to my back a couple of months ago, I know walking was much better for me than running. Best of luck! 

• Like 1

Level 4, Amazon Ranger

Current Challenge:  NicBot-5000 enters Recovery Mode

Previous Challenges: 12, 3,  4, 5, 6

PRE REBOOT CHALLENGES: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Various links and sundry: Battle log, Respawn post

Week 3 recap:

Food tracking - Did great

Filled rings - Every day!

Gym - Nope, rehabbing my back and avoiding the gym

Ring workout - Did one ring workout, very short, but did it

Juggle - Every day! Love that I'm getting back into it

Handstand - Every day! Did some new stuff I'll talk about later

Running - Once, I'm calling the running I did while playing soccer wit the kids running. Also did lots of hiking and walking.

Bullet journal - Still using it, and it really helps. I'm still figuring it out.

My back is still sore. Given that, I'm focussing on walking, yoga and other stuff. Juggling and handstands are going awesome. As I mentioned last week, I needed to up my handstand game. So, I started doing kick-ups not against the wall. That has gone really well, I am still struggling to stay up, but now I feel a little more like I've made some progress.

Food was mostly good, but I got a little crazy with snacks and sweets this weekend. I made some bread yesterday, and it was awesome.

I'm going to try and go to the gym once this week and see what I can do. I will also try to run once this week. This is the last week of the challenge and so I want to make a real run at it.

• Like 2

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

I am finding it hard to write here as my sore back is making it so I can't do some of the things I said I was going to do, namely gym and running. So I apologize for being quieter on here than normal.

That said, I have been doing pretty well with food, but I think I know what I want to do for my next challenge... cut the carbs quite a bit. I've been walking quite a bit to make up for not going to the gym or running, but that only gets me so far.

Juggling and handstands have been okay. I do it every day, but I've been half-assing it the past few days. I'll do a few kick-ups and toss the balls for a few minutes... but then I move on to other things. I want to be excited about growing and getting better, but that can't happen if I'm half-assing it.

I think I am on he edge of depression. I am getting better at recognizing when that is happening. I think that part of my issue is this back pain. Some days it is constant, and I have a hard time thinking about anything else. Other days, it just reminds me that I can't lift or run like I want to. There is a theme in my life of things I can't do, or things I don't have time or energy for... things that require whatever I don't have. It is starting to wear on me. I realize that it is all a matter of perception- but I also think it is a matter of me giving up my own agency a bit. It is up to me to find a way to fix this, no fairy godmother is going to come along, wave their wand and give me the time, body and friends I need to do the things I want. Unless one of you here has a line on a fairy godmother looking for a new subject?

• Like 1

Healers Brigade

Current

Ugh, sorry about the back. 

Here are some stretches  from GMB that might help. I am also a big believer in doing planks, dead bugs and clamshells as strengthening. Clamshells are for hips, but they help my back too.

https://gmb.io/spine/

• Like 1

Wisdom- 13.5 Dexterity- 10 Charisma- 11 Strength- 12 Constitution-10 

Elastigirl Just Living Life - January 3 to February 6 New Year Challenge! - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"The chief goal of living is not to merely stay alive" Mike Rowe

Oof,  Doug!  Pain is tiring and exhaustive, and it affects the whole body!    No doubt that it is triggering a slow cascade of emotional blehs.    Try to keep focusing on all the habits you kept up with despite the shift in approach-  the food, the juggling, the handstands.  Those are all BIG wins!     I grok the not getting excited about stuff; my bike rides have been like 'gee, I love being outside, but it's soooo much the same thing every day I do it'.   (That's why I decided to 'draw' a dog on my last ride lol.)

Sometimes I find it helpful if I have to change challenge goals, to straight up change them and make it official.     Gym 3x /week  ->  15m back stretching and foam rolling.   Even using the strike outs and everything.  It paints a visible picture showing that I CHOSE to make a change, rather than let circumstances sweep a plan under the rug. 

Hope you find some relief soon!

• Like 1

Level 69 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

23 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Here are some stretches  from GMB that might help

Thanks so much for that. I started some of them last night and this morning. Already feeling better from the hip stretches.

4 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Sometimes I find it helpful if I have to change challenge goals, to straight up change them and make it official.     Gym 3x /week  ->  15m back stretching and foam rolling.   Even using the strike outs and everything.  It paints a visible picture showing that I CHOSE to make a change, rather than let circumstances sweep a plan under the rug. 

Hah! As much as I like that idea, and am sure it would be helpful, I think I am too lazy to do that this time. "Ok, once I update my initial post...  my bullet journal will be different... and then I have to remember what is different... nah, I'm going to watch YouTube instead."

That's part of how I act in depression, I look at everything that could help as "too much work" or "not worth the effort"

Thnx for all the advice and encouragement. I really, really appreciate it. It does help.

• Like 2

Healers Brigade

Current

Challenge wrap-up

GoodDoug the half-ogre woke up. He knew he had been dreaming for a while. As he took in his surroundings, he noticed he was in the field hospital. He was sore, but could move, the healers must have knocked him out for a while.
The dragonborn healer came over, "Oh good you're up!" 
She helped the half-ogre upright and then helped swing his legs over the side of the bed, she was a bit stronger than she looked. GoodDoug noticed her scars, she had at one time been a front line healer. He admired them, their bravery in running towards whatever everyone else was running away from was a hallmark of theirs.
GoodDoug would miss the vibrant dreams, but was glad to be on the road to recovery. Maybe he could learn to be a healer...

Maintain:

• Track everything in LoseIt - Damn, think I did perfect on this
  • Fill my rings - Filled rings almost every day. Missed a couple of times, but I'm okay with it
  • Gym twice a week - Injured my back the first day of the second week, so I stopped going to the gym. Still fighting it a bit, so will have to base my next challenge on dealing with that.

New stuff:

• Handstand practice every day - Damn, rocked this one. Consistency helped me progress. I'm definitely going to keep trying to do this one.
  • Juggling every day - Did really well here as well. Need to find a way to dedicate a little more time to it if I want to get better.
  • Rings workout once per week - I did this once or twice a week, not bad. I may add more into my routine for next challenge, as I think I am getting better.
  • Running twice a week - Ran a few times this challenge, but was afraid it would exacerbate my back issues.

Life stuff:

• Bullet Journal as a habit - Doing well here. It helps as both a ToDo list and as a journal for the day.
  • Figure out a side hustle - Until now, I had completely forgotten this. Though one of my thoughts was to make a dice tray and see how hard it would be to create and sell those...

Overall, my back meant I was at least partially derailed. I kept up with what I could, but let running and gym fall away. I think I need to get back in the gym and see if that will make it worse. 
On top of that, I've been fighting depression. I've gotten to where I can see the depression and stave off the more extreme bouts, but I am still working out what I can do to dig myself out of it.
Diet has been _okay_ but not great. I find myself "cheating" more and more. In some cases it is justified and in some cases the depression makes it really easy to just say "What the f*&$" and stuff my face with crap. I have a feeling diet would help with the depression, and fixing the depression would help with the diet. We have a classic chicken or egg thing going on here.

And thanks to all who post and heart my posts. It really helps. Now I just need to come up with my next challenge goals. Maybe I'll add some more creativity and life goals while toning down the workout goals. 

And thanks to all who post and heart my posts. It really helps. Now I just need to come up with my next challenge goals. Maybe I'll add some more creativity and life goals while toning down the workout goals. I'll get back to classic story based challenges, especially for a five week challenge, that should be fun.

Healers Brigade

Current