Cap becomes a Winter Soldier (Part 1)

Cap has been absent from the NF community for a while.  Summer, etc etc excuse excuse.  Whatever... I am back on a mission. To become my inner Winter Solider

(Pretend an awesome Winter Solider gif is here now! Boom explosion and stuff... Maybe i'll come back and add one later)

So, what does my randomness mean?  I am setting a little bit longer than 4 week goal for the rest of the year, but I like the 4 week tracking so this will be a multi-part straight to DVD kind of journey. My focus for reporting here is going to center around the 3 key lifts we care about for powerlifting... Flat Bench... Squat... and Deadlift.  I'll of course be doing other randomness as I can, but these are going to be my goal tracking lifts.  

All goals are going to be focused on what I'd like to be at in December, allowing myself a longer-term view of my journey.  Of course, I'd like to see progress each month... but by setting a longer horizon I think I'll avoid disappointment with missing an arbitrary short-term goal due to travel messing with lifting, etc. 

Goal 1 - Squat - 

Current status - My "work sets" this week for squats were 3 sets of 5 at 180.  I've also been doing some even lower rep heavier weights on these key lifts to stress the system.  My "heavy doubles", as i have been calling them, maximum was 2 reps at 215. 

December  goal - When I was thinking of this challenge a few weeks ago I thought 225 was the most I'd get to.  I don't think that is the case anymore.  I'm going to stretch this a little further.... DEC GOAL - 250 - this is a 35 pound (16%) increase over my current lift 

Goal 2 - Deadlift - 

Current status - My work sets this week were 3 sets of 5 at 315. My most recent heavy doubles was 2 reps at 345

December goal - I would really like to get this sucker up in the 400 range.  I'm just not sure if that is too much of a stretch or not. Regardless... DEC GOAL - 400 - 55 pound (16%) increase over my current lift

Goal 3 - Flat Bench 

Current status - My work sets this week were 3 sets of 5 at 205.  My most recent heavy doubles was 2 reps at 230

December  goal - I am lifting heavier than I have since highschool (quite some time ago....).  I think I am in the range of slower increase on my bench though. Still, I want to stretch myself a bit on what I'm doing.  DEC GOAL - 255 - 25 pound (11%) increase over my current lift

Goal 4 - The holy grail of combined strengh awesomeness --- the combined lift total of all three above

Current status (utilizing heavy double values as an approximation of 1 rep max) - 215 + 345 + 230 = 790

December goal - When i first started thinking of this challenge, I was thinking somewhere between 850 and 900 would be a nice increase.  Given what I just laid out, it puts me at 905.  So.. 

DEC GOAL 1 - 905 - I'd be pretty happy with this lift given I've only been really into squats and deadlifts for less than a year. 

DEC GOAL 2 - All the stars align - 925 This will require me to exceed somewhere a good bit more. 

AND --- and this is important --- I want to do all of this without going to some bulking extreme.  I'm not going to be tracking weight very often (183.2 at 6'5" for last weigh in), but I'm going to try to make sure I don't put on unnecessary body fat just to get numbers up. 

That is it.  Lift heavy. Get strong. Hit PRs. And don't over complicate it!

• Like 1

"I can do this all day!" - Captain America

"You're much stronger than you think you are" - Superman

"I am Groot" - Groot.... I feel like this one really says it all

Never forget the "P" in PR stands for personal.  Encourage other people's accomplishments.

Previous challenges: 1st , 2nd  , 3rd  , 4th

4 hours ago, Legolas "Cap" Greenleaf said:

Back to basics...? I may have to steal this for a future challenge, once Stress Hydra is in my past.

Welcome back!

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29

4 hours ago, Legolas "Cap" Greenleaf said:

Welcome back. 905 would be an amazing total, 925 would be friggin awesome. Looking forward to seeing those numbers go up (I'm a bit envious of your numbers, too, though)! 

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

Following for lifting simplicity :)

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On 7/6/2019 at 10:58 AM, Mike Wazowski said:

Welcome back - love the simplicity, what program are you running these days for your lifting?

Essentially the basic "Starting Strength" keep it simple approach.  Warm up sets, worksets of ~5 reps for 3-5 sets.  Prioritize complex movements over accessory type work. 

I will say one thing I've made it a point to add into my stuff this summer is core work.  This has significantly increased overall strength... at least it sure feels strong which is a big part of it in my head. 

Never forget the "P" in PR stands for personal.  Encourage other people's accomplishments.

On 7/3/2019 at 2:28 PM, Harriet said:

Welcome back. 905 would be an amazing total, 925 would be friggin awesome. Looking forward to seeing those numbers go up (I'm a bit envious of your numbers, too, though)! 

We'll see how it goes.  If i don't get there I'll sure do my best to get as close as I can. 

So.. random little check in.  I'll be out and about in the world over the next couple of weeks so how often I'll post is unknown.  Also, unfamiliary gyms with limited weights (boo).  But... I'll work in what I can and that is all I can do. 

Bench - Yesterday the gym was insane.  It really must have been national benchpress day or something.  I ended up doing some chest related work and some dumbbell press, but I didn't really get a chance to have a fresh bench to have an update here.  Maybe tomorrow.  We'll see.   Dumbbell bench with two 80 pound dumbbells is certainly quite a different lift. 

Squats - Did a little bit of work today.  Work sets 3 sets of 5 at 185; Did a couple of sets of 2 at 205.  Didn't go any heavier than that today. Quads were annoyingly a little night from some lap swimming I did yesterday.  But I am happy with the 3 sets of 5 work. 

Deadlifts - 3 sets of 5 at 315.  I am going to up these worksets on one of my next deadlift workouts.  315 at that set / rep range isn't pushing me as hard as it used to.  I actually did a 1 rep max (though I didn't go until failure to see a true 1RM so.... we'll just say I did a set with 1 rep..) after my worksets.  1 rep at 365.  I am sure I could have gone heavier.  365, I believe, is either the most or tied for the most I've ever done.  I've only been deadlifting since August 2018 so I'm pretty happy to have gotten this far in a little under a year with the way I've trained. 

Oh and I should caveat that, at least for now, all of these numbers are without a lifting belt, gloves, or any types of straps.  This is all pure me.  If I can't grip it, I can't lift it and so on. I certainly understand using straps if I ever get to some type of insane weight, but I will continue to improve my grip strength as well as long as I can. 

That is it for now!

• Like 3

Hotel lifts this week. Max weight available 50 lbs dumb bells. Do what I can. Doing reps of 12 or 15 because the weights feel too light on some lifts is quite a different workout. But it is resoundingly better than just sitting around, watching TV, and going out to eat unhealthy food. 

Also a simple cable machine that will allow a big.

Work trips are definitely a challenge for fitness.  This is especially true of traveling with other people. Being healthy is sometimes a loner activity. But we each prioritize what we care about I suppose!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Legolas "Cap" Greenleaf said:

Doing reps of 12 or 15 because the weights feel too light on some lifts is quite a different workout.

My old work gym was like this. I suggest unilateral work. Weight feels twice as heavy when you're only using 1 arm or leg!

Stay awhile... we're liftin'