• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ElizeElvinFoxRyder

ElizeElvinFoxRyder - Elize, Elvin Toboggan Ryder

Elize, Elvin Toboggan Ryder

04-adam.jpg.2e3f6ce84fe067362588a759515055ed.jpg

Elize and her fiery orange-red fox faced the dawn. In front of them spread a vast open grassland specked by dark evergreen trees, pocketed with shrubs showing off bright coral and peach spiked flowers reaching up towards the morning sun. Huge boulders dotted the grassland too, thrown there by an enormous monster from the depths of the earth, when it was attacked by a raging river of fire. This happened eons ago, when giant reptilian behemoths walked the earth, while great flying beasts blasted fire and acid from the sky. Patches of yellow, green, and white lichen covered the cold, black rocks, showing the time they've been above ground. The shadows were lifting oh so slowly with the rising sun, but still cast an air of secrecy where the mist swirled into the nooks and crannies of the rocks. The fox rubbed his head in farewell against Elize's side. Their paths separate here, for a short time. This journey was not for him to take. This path Elize had to face on her own. He'll join her again, soon enough.

02-trail.jpg.79b669b53a112caada16b095335f43ad.jpg

Carefully the girl moved along the well trodden path. She had to reach Sleepy Hollow by the end of today. Then she had four sennights to get going. This was the time in between challenges; a time of near restfulness, and relative safety. But there will always be some trouble afoot - little foxes playing in the vineyard, as the Old People used to say. This was the time she had to build up her strength, physically and mentally. This was the time she had to prepare, before she faced the battles that will lead to her reaching The Land of the Long White Cloud, hopefully her final destination. That will bring challenges of their own, no doubt, as once there, she will have to capture and bring back The Magic! With very little magic of her own left, but some willpower and stubbornness, maybe a dab of inquisitiveness and excitement too, she faced the morning sun. Little puffs of dust lifted around her every footfall as she slowly made her way into the grass field.

647674556_toboggan1.jpg.f8c503651ffe14dea9d43454a61d1e43.jpg

By noon Elize had reached a tall hill with a modern contraption rising from it's back. The metal rail ran all the way down the other side of the hill, throwing huge curves across the grass saddle stretching on for miles between hilltops. One side it came within reaching distance of the scary, jagged cliff dropping down to meet the river below. She followed the rail to where it disappeared into the darkness of The Forest. All was quiet, peaceful. A light breeze ruffled the grass tops, while eagles soared on high, specks of black against an azure, cloudless sky. Elize could feel the animals around her. That was the little bit of magic she had left: she could feel the different animals, and borrow some of their abilities from time to time. But magic was growing weaker by the day, and she needed to build up her power, so that she could help her people build up their magical abilities in turn.

310267149_toboggan5.jpg.efcb84dca5e080d54ef4dde5591d98df.jpg

Slowly she folded her tired body into the bright yellow sled. It was going to take a bit of time to build it up to its former strength and health. The worker gremlin smiled wickedly when he fastened her belt tight around her middle.

"Hold on tight now, and whatever you do... Don't pull the brake!" he shouted as he pushed her forward onto the track, which immediately picked up speed going down the incline. The wind rushed around her face, the toboggan sled throwing her hard to the left as she rounded the corner. She tried to keep her balance, but it was difficult not to go with the momentum when being tossed from side to side. She saw the edge of the cliff from before, rushing up, knowing, waiting for the sharp turn, with some trepidation building in the pit of her stomach. The toboggan was going faster and faster, closing in on the drop! Another lurch and she felt herself rising a little bit, slowing down the toboggan ever so slightly, then some more, before she hurtled around the corner on the edge of the cliff. She couldn't help but look down. Caught only a glimmer of the racing waters far below. Then her head was whipped to the other side as the rail changed direction yet again. In less time than she anticipated Elize had crossed the vast grass plain and was nearing The Forest. The rail ran arrow straight down the hill, slowed down some on a flat stretch of land, then fell again and in no time she was zipping past trees, going ever faster in the murky shadows. She saw light up ahead as she neared the far side of the forest. Bushes with spooky white flowers flashed past, and imperceptibly the toboggan started slowing again. The momentum was carrying it up and over the small rise. For a split second she felt suspended at the top, suddenly out in the open again, before the rail, and therefore the toboggan, with her fastened to it, fell down the last hillside. In the distance she could see where it stopped at the Misty Mountain station in Sleepy Hollow. It slowly lost speed and momentum, until at last the toboggan barely crawled into the station before coming to rest with a soft bump against the thick rubber stopper. This was her destination for now.

06-seuns.jpg.896d8c29744ab27bc391bbe7fd0cb45c.jpg

She felt hope blossom inside her heart. Little Hobbit children where shouting and splashing in icy blue-green mountain pools, oblivious of the cold, diving and swimming in the crystal, clear water. Yes, this was a place she could spend some time at, doing her share of duties to secure, cook, clean and manage the place. And train... she was here to train too.

(I can't believe it took me nearly 3 hours writing this whole piece!)

-----------------------------------------

Brandt (hubby), myself and our two boys were in the mountain town Sabie this first weekend of the challenge, visiting family. On Saturday we went to Mac-Mac Pools where we walked along the 3km Secretary Bird Day Trail. When we came back to the starting point, Rocco (my youngest son - on the left on the photo above) and his cousin dared each other into swimming in one of the pools. Within no time their lips were blue from the icy cold mountain water! Of course hubby couldn't let this opportunity pass, so he went in as well.

Sunday we spent a (sort of) peaceful day at m.i.l.'s home, where I did my first strength workout for the week. We walked about 2km on the road to her house as well.

Monday we went to Misty Mountain Lodge, a small private resort on the Long Tom Pass, where we all rode toboggan sleds down the hill. It wasn't quite as scary as I made out in my story, but definitely exciting.

Now I'm hopefully ready to take charge of the rest of this challenge, trying to improve my health (mentally and physically), strength, as well as getting some things crossed off my To-Do list. Some of these things are needed to prepare for possibly immigrating to NZ hopefully before the end of the year; other things are just normal chores that needs doing, which I'm inclined to procrastinate on.

Food-wise I'm cutting down on gluten as I know it makes my sinus and health in general worse. The same with milk/cream, but the main reason is to support Rocco, my 10yr old son who has very bad eczema from some food product, and we need to cut out food to find the culprit (long back story on this). As per advice from a friend ( @Lightning) , I'm increasing our probiotics (for digestive health) intake too. I'm also increasing food and vitamins that fight inflammation, as well as Omega 3 fish oils, to see whether it will help in this fight. It would also help both him and myself if we manage to loose some weight in the process, but we are not focusing on that right now. But it would be welcome... as a side benefit...

Moving Moved my goals down to another comment block/post as I made some changes.

Edited by ElizeElvinFoxRyder
corrected story
  • Like 9

15 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

First!

:loyal:

image.png.6604602fa808c069c8a5071374dc635c.png

I've basically caught up with everything around the house: washing, some cleaning, shopping, etc. Had two friends of the boys come over to play also, Thursday afternoon. Then today I did almost nothing (except normal chores).

DEAR DIARY...

Spoiler

Went through some of the emotional family stuff that happened this past weekend (Brandt's brother, his mom, the kids...). In that regard tensions were high at the house throughout the whole visit. We only got a break from it when out and about. I managed to sort some of these things out in my head these last two days.

Brandt also told his mom that we are seriously looking into emigrating to NZ, so serious that he has already started applying for jobs, and we'll take the opportunity if he is offered a job. He first wanted to wait before organising with immigration agents, because we thought this would happen really quickly, but now (after some discussions) he's given me the go-ahead to contact the one agency and arrange a Skype call/interview. They looked at his information previously and said that Brandt stood a very good chance of being accepted for a residency visa, if he can get a job offer. The categories for some of the work visa positions have changed, so I've been urging him to rather see these guys and get professional help. I just can't figure out everything that needs to be done, etc. They would also be able to help prospective employers with the correct documentation and wording so that his work visa will be approved quickly. So we are working on that.

Back to his mom's reaction: they were alone in the car driving to another town when he told her. He said she was upset as in sad that it has come to this, but otherwise he didn't want to comment. I left it there. When we left, she repeatedly told me that she loved me, loved the kids, and gave us a lot of hugs, which is somewhat normal, but it was ... more. It was only when we were close to home that Brandt told me that he'd spoken to her. So now that I've had time to sort those thoughts out, I think I'll sleep better, because I had seriously weird dreams the last two nights.

Foodwise: Rocco and I are now off gluten. He is still drinking (cows') milk, but trying hard to keep it to 2 small glasses a day. I stopped the coconut milk and bought a bottle of goats' milk when we got back. It is much better, but I'm mixing it with a little bit of (cow) cream. My sinus is getting worse, but this is how it was last time I cut down on gluten, etc. Things first get worse before they get better.

I made us GF tortillas for lunch. I bought the tortillas, just filled it with pan-fried chicken pieces, carrot and cucumber sticks, with a little bit of mayonnaise mixed with chutney. I liked it, but the boys loved it! They actually ate it, when they've never wanted to even try something like that before. This evening I made us fish in GF batter, also pan-fried. I didn't have almond flour, so used the last of the coconut flour mixed with cornflour. The microwave sweet potato chips (crisps) didn't come out quite as crispy, but I liked it. The boys ... not so much. LOL, suddenly a lot of memories of GF food recipes I've tried and made before started coming back to me. When I bought groceries Wednesday, I again went to another shop I used to buy some GF food packages from, and re-discovered a local lady's products: she packages all kinds of flours, or flour-mixes for specific baked goods. So for instance if you buy a packet for GF pancakes, all the dry ingredients will already be in the packet. So I bought a packet for Macadamia bread, another for savoury muffins, and another for crumpets. I'll make one each week, and try to get the pre-made tortillas again as well. You can also buy the individual flours, but I think I'll only get almond flour separately. I'm actually looking forward to experiment again.

Otherwise not much: winter is here in all it's dry glory. It's cold at night, but warmer than in Sabie. M.i.l. made us a deliciously warm fleece throw for the bed so we are sleeping toasty. I'm just going to have some more relaxing days (with some finances thrown in there somewhere) before starting with school work again on Monday.

Hope you all have a good weekend.

• Like 5

I'm not sure whether the toboggan ride sounds scary, or thrilling or both! Good for you for trying it . I can imagine it will be very hard for Brandt's mom to see you  move. Even though she gets the reason, and understands why it is for the best, it's still hard. Any chance she would want to immigrate to?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

*sigh* second. I’m off my game.

image.thumb.png.4cbe49a1929f18c090baf1dfa731c0e5.png

16 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I'm not sure whether the toboggan ride sounds scary, or thrilling or both! Good for you for trying it . I can imagine it will be very hard for Brandt's mom to see you  move. Even though she gets the reason, and understands why it is for the best, it's still hard. Any chance she would want to immigrate to?

I think it was a bit of both, but because Brandt's mom did it two months ago with other friends, we knew we had to do it. No way can we say a 75yr old lady did it, but we were too scared! :D It was good fun and I would definitely do it again.

Yes, I understand that us moving will be hard for her. He didn't say anything to her other than that we are fully going for immigration. We thought she would react badly to it like when we told her about our decision to HS. At various points over the weekend she hugged me and told me she loved us very much, and she said twice that she knew she made mistakes in how she handled situations previously, and she was sorry about it, but never outright said what, why, when... Now I think it was because she knew about our plans. I mean, she is trying to handle us probably moving, in a better way than she handled news previously. And I think she said this because Brandt had spoken to her at that point, which I didn't know then. He only told me on our way back that he told her. Things are still a bit difficult in the family at the moment.

Spoiler

Brandt's brother and his wife are having real difficulties with their marriage. They didn't share a room, and we were put in the room between theirs. The bad thing about that was that his brother had to walk through our room to get to his. So when his wife or son would go into/come out of his room, they had to go through our room, and I woke up multiple times at night because of noise and voices. They weren't outright arguing, but it wasn't soft most of the time... they are juggling their son and sort of playing him off between them, and granny is being dragged in (more by Brandt's brother because of the way he words things). As their marriage is not good, Brandt's mom's house is a stable, happy place where little G (12yrs) can visit. So she would most probably not consider moving as long as she thinks he can more easily visit her during school holidays. If things break up, then he'll stay with his mom and her mom, and they'll allow him to visit Brandt's mom. Not sure about visitation to his dad though...

At the moment Brandt's mom won't be able to immigrate with us, just visit for long periods of time (3-6months at a time for a 3year visitors visa), as NZ has changed their grandparents' visa/immigration rules. They are thinking about/working on changing it. I think if we have the go-ahead we'll make sure that she knows she can always come to us.

---------------------------------------

Brandt surprised me with an idea this morning. He said he is going to try doing burpees on the days he doesn't use weights. We watched a YT video together where the lady talked about her challenge to do 50 burpees every day for a month. I told him I'll accept the challenge but I won't do it every day, only add two days to my current plan. I'll change my challenge goals and add it in a comment below. And I challenged the boys: I'll give them 1min. extra computer time in the mornings before school (max. 60min.), for every burpee they do the day before. So I'll have to keep track of this too. At the moment they have 30min. if they don't moan, act out, etc. while doing school work. If they complain or give me a difficult time, I deduct 5min. from the next morning's computer time. It's been working like a charm before we took a break.

And Brandt was so thoughtful about something else: A new gym is going to open up in a centre/mall they are busy building relatively close to us. The marketer spoke to Brandt when he was at the garage (getting petrol). They'll have a big/long walking track within the gym building itself. Anyway, so Brandt asked whether I would like for the boys and I to join so that we would have a safe place to walk. So sweet of him to think of us. But I declined, because it would be a waste of money as I won't be making use of the machines, etc. They also won't have a swimming pool, otherwise I might have considered it.

More on the immigration news: nothing new for us, but recently I've seen so many names of other HS parents that I know from selling math books, on the immigration Fb group! Our other neighbours have now also decided that they are seriously going to go for it, so the husband is coming to see me to get internet links and pages to look up, talk with us and see what he can do. That way he won't have to wade through all the information I had to go through to get quotes, trustable agents, etc.

• Like 6

Moved my goals to a new post because I made some changes. And the first post was too long.

HEALTH

• BIBLE STUDY - sometimes bible study, sometimes a video on YouTube, sometimes just quiet time with Father.
  • WATER - water or rooibos during the day aiming for +-2 bottles/day.
  • SLEEP - go to bed by 21h30.
  • FOOD - no gluten, and cut down on milk/cream.

STAYING ACTIVE

Burpees Challenge with the boys and Brandt: Mondays/Thursdays/Saturdays - try for at least one or two days a week. Go for 5x10.

Walking: Wednesdays during Lego.

Strength workout: Tuesdays and Fridays

• Joint Circles (warm up)
  • Inverted Pull Ups (try for 10x)
  • Goblet Squat (10x15kg)
  • Lunges (10x10kg)
  • Reverse Push Ups (2x10 try for full push ups)
  • Leg Scissors (core - 50x)
  • Stretches

LITTLE FOXES (TO-DO LIST)

Things that need to get done this month.

• Finances (dailies and monthlies)
  • Police clearance certificates: Definitely try and get these done this month.
  • NZ Immigration Agency - After PC certs.
  • Brandt Hip Exam - we'll see. It might only be valid for 3 months as well, then it has to wait till much later.

DEAR DIARY...

When I need to get things off my chest (emotional upheaval), or give a longer explanation for something that happened.

• Like 5

Saturday: went grocery shopping rather late, after lying in bed for a long, long time. It was GOOD! Did some chores around the house, but not much more.

Sunday: Lay in bed for a long, long time :D This is my treat to myself. Ok, I was up at 6h00; fed the cat; went to the loo; fiddled around the kitchen while Brandt made coffee. Went back to bed around 6h30. Lay there dreaming, snoozing, lazing till about 9h00. Got up, made the beds, packed away clean dishes in the kitchen, fed the dogs, did 10x Burpees (no pushups yet) made us a Banting Fruit Sundae, minus ice cream and yoghurt. It was delicious. Which I wanted to share with you.

Banting Fruit Sundae:

Not a big bowl, and this is a teaspoon for Brandt to eat with. One of his idiosyncrasies.

About 1/3 of medium avo, cut in blocks (at the bottom).

I used 1.5 papino (small, reddish inside papaya). Cut in blocks on top of avo.

Some strawberries, blueberries and raspberries, in the next layer.

Topped with a seed mix: which had pumpkin, and sunflower seeds, with raisins, dried goji berries, some cranberries, and some itsy bitsy Belgian chocolate chips.

Lastly I topped with a dessert spoon full (15ml) of whipped cream, sprinkled some cinnamon sugar over and enjoyed.

The Banting recipe wants you to add about 100ml of yoghurt, but I didn't do that (cutting down on dairy). Picky eaters can even whip the soft avo and cream, or avo and yoghurt together. The cream won't become set, but it will be a delicious topping, or bottom layer.

It won't keep you full for long, but it was great as something to take the edge off hunger after a workout, or even as a dessert.

sundae.jpg.d308abc88d848788abea58eaed5c4282.jpg

Now that I've had my treat, I can climb into the monthly finances.

• Like 6

The fruit sundae looks delicious!  Since it is summertime here I'm eating a lot of fresh berries for dessert.  Grilled some peaches this weekend and those were outstanding.

Glad you are looking forward to playing around with gluten-free recipes.  Hope you can share the really good ones!

• Like 3

Was wondering about the fish oil. You seem to have some kind of sensitivity to fish that isn't fully understood. If you haven't started on the fish oil yet, or haven't been taking it long, you might want to go slow and see how your body reacts. Just a thought.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lightning said:

The fruit sundae looks delicious!  Since it is summertime here I'm eating a lot of fresh berries for dessert.  Grilled some peaches this weekend and those were outstanding.

Glad you are looking forward to playing around with gluten-free recipes.  Hope you can share the really good ones!

It was delicious. Brandt cleaned out his bowl, and both boys finished most of it, just left some avo. I was actually surprised. I'll definitely share some recipes as I come across them, or adapt normal ones to be gluten free.

8 hours ago, Xena said:

Was wondering about the fish oil. You seem to have some kind of sensitivity to fish that isn't fully understood. If you haven't started on the fish oil yet, or haven't been taking it long, you might want to go slow and see how your body reacts. Just a thought.

I've used Omega 3 a lot through the years, and I've had a lot of fish too. It's definitely something in the fish skin or fat layers that trigger my allergic reaction. When I was pregnant with Rocco the gynaecologist tested for iodine, and that came back negative, but I get a reaction if either iodine or mercurochrome are put on my skin. I got blisters when they put the latter around my cesarean cut. And Adam also reacts from mercurochrome on his skin. So I definitely have funny reactions. I also react from metals on my skin: can't wear gold (nothing plated, neither nickel-free, or 24ct), and sometimes react from silver (even sterling) *shrug*. Haven't tested other metals.

----------------------

BURPEES ARE HARD!

• Like 4

HEALTH

• BIBLE STUDY - Quiet time by myself (and bible reading and study with the boys).
  • WATER - Finished 2nd bottle by the time I went to bed.
  • SLEEP - In bed on time.
  • FOOD - Going well (for both Rocco and myself).

STAYING ACTIVE

Burpees Challenge with the boys and Brandt: Monday - 15x myself. The boys wanted more early morning computer time, so both did 30x each in batches of 10 throughout the day! :blink:

Walking: Tomorrow...

Strength workout: Tuesday (This morning)

• Joint Circles (warm up)
  • Inverted Pull Ups (10x)
  • Goblet Squat (10x15kg)
  • Lunges (10x10kg)
  • Reverse Push Ups (2x10) No full push ups, only @Xena's reverse ones, and they gave my arms a GOOD workout. (Happy to admit that hubby stopped to "admire the view") :D:redface-new:
  • Leg Scissors (core - 50x)
  • Stretches

Things that need to get done this month - depending now on finances.

• Finances (dailies and monthlies) - Both done! Well, June is halfway as the bank statement stops at 20 June. This month's statement starts at 21st, till 20th July.
  • Police clearance certificates: Definitely try and get at least these done this month.
  • Brandt Hip Exam - we'll see. It might only be valid for 3 months as well, then it has to wait till much later.

DEAR DIARY...

Brandt's bicycle broke on his way home last night. A chain link broke due to fatigue and pulled/bent/broke the jockey and what-not else. Brandt's taking the bicycle in later today to have it assessed, but he might need a whole new drive train ( @Sloth the Enduring you'll know what this entails). He phoned last night when he was half-way home and asked whether I could come pick him up. Of course I did, but by the time I got to him he had walked up the very long, very steep road already, and it was mostly downhill from there! Took him home in the car anyway. We'll just have to see how much this costs, before committing to other expenses. Or juggle our budget for this month around. We don't need food, do we? I can cut that out? :playful::cower::greedy_dollars:

Adam, Rocco and I are trying out the fencing lessons this afternoon. Sounds like we'll be the only three people there for lessons, which suites me just fine. (These first lessons are free, and I think we are allowed to pay the rest at the end of the month.) I'll let you know how that went later/tomorrow. My arms are so tired and a bit sore from this morning's rev.push ups, but it actually feels great! I am even getting up at 5h30 in the mornings again, just to get some exercise (burpees or strength) in.

Everything is of course happening at one time: There are now beginner 3D graphics and animation lessons available in the area, which Rocco is really eager to do. I've asked for more information, and will see what's possible. This can also wait till maybe 4th term.

We are not going to the Forestry Nursery Nature Club outing this Friday, anymore. I tried to book last Friday, but it was pointed out to me that the organiser has changed the way he took reservations (in small script right at the bottom of the memo that was sent out). He wanted parents to message him on a specific day, during a set time slot. He wasn't going to accept the three bookings made by myself and the other two ladies. Then Brandt and I discussed his circuit road race this coming Saturday and I thought I could rather take the boys out on a history drive to the town that Brandt is going to be racing in, as plants are a bit boring for them at the moment, while real history and animals are much more acceptable. So that is what I then planned to do seeing as the Nature Club booking was not accepted anyway.

Then last night the organiser sent through the list of families accepted (only 15 families allowed). We were put on the reserved list (no.20). So I had to let him know that we'll not be attending, and the organiser responded that he was confused why I wouldn't want to go (should I get a chance), and he is tired of people saying they want to attend, then not cancelling, but just not pitching up. I pointed out that I've never not pitched without letting him know, as I was doing at that moment, and that our change of plans were decided on Sunday when Brandt finalised his taking part in the race, and I was under the impression that my reservation the previous Friday was not accepted. And I wasn't among the first 15 families, I was on the reserved list anyway. I also explained why we made the change of plans, and he knows that Brandt does a lot of racing (they've met at birthday parties for the kids), and understood that it gave us a bit more family time as well as other school work going with Brand. I thanked him for thinking of us and putting us on the reserved list, even though I did not confirm as per the new rsvp rules, but he was still upset. I can understand that he puts a lot of effort into arranging outings for the group and I understand that people not cancelling, or just not pitching up, is rude and unacceptable. But I don't do either. So *shrug* I'm just taking it as he had to vent, and I was the person in the spot at the time.

But... I think I'll be taking a bit of a back seat towards the nature club outings for a while, except if they are really on a topic that we haven't looked at yet. A lot of the outings centre around topics that we have already covered and/or are aimed at younger kids.

The weekend after this (19-20 July) is a huge dirt rally race which Brandt will also take part in, as a birthday gift "for himself, from himself". That will be on the south coast, and I was thinking of visiting one or two places of history on that route as well. Otherwise go to the history museum in town.

• Like 4

Can’t wait to hear about the fencing. I took a few lessons with my daughter and loved it but she got claustrophobic in the mask. So, we didn’t go back. 

As someone that often setup homeschool outings I would have been thrilled to have a parent tell they changed their mind instead of just not showing up. And you were on the waitlist anyway. If he wants people to give him a heads up he should learn to handle his reactions better. 

• Like 2

Catching up

wow. a lot going in in your life!

however frustrated this guy is about people going on the nature outings- he's definitely doing it wrong to vent at you.  

I think we've all been there-trying to volunteer and set things up; when people say "yes" one day and have to pull out another.  I'm not exactly SURE what this guy has to DO per person/family. but complaining about it- only pushes people away.

so hopefully your ok about the whole thing and again, hopefully, you can deal with him.

I'm not sure what time it is in SA but by the time you get back to us, surely you'll have done your first class.  Hopefully, it was awesome!  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lightning said:

Can’t wait to hear about the fencing. I took a few lessons with my daughter and loved it but she got claustrophobic in the mask. So, we didn’t go back. 

4 hours ago, TGP said:

I'm not sure what time it is in SA but by the time you get back to us, surely you'll have done your first class.  Hopefully, it was awesome!  

When we got there, the lady wasn't set up for adults, and only focused on the kids. I was too shy/embarrassed to ask for fencing clothing when I could clearly see she didn't have big sizes available, so I stood on the side watching the lesson. It really looked interesting and I think I would like it for a while. Rocco was totally absorbed and concentrating like I haven't seen him in a long, long time. This is absolutely the right thing for him! He even showed Brandt the positions and movements when he got home. After the lesson the lady turned to some older teenage girls that had arrived just then, and said they could try out the 16h00 class for older kids and people, so I assume that she thought that was when I would try, but I opted to go home. Maybe she had more clothes in her car? Otherwise how were those older girls going to try? A little part of me is disappointed that I didn't try, but...

...While we were watching Adam said that he knew horse riding was very expensive (one lesson is about the price of two or three of other activities' lessons) but he would really like to do that again. So when we got home I messaged the riding instructor and asked her about prices and days. I'd rather see Adam do something he loves. I'll wangle the budget for this term and see how things work out. This month is a bit tough with the bicycle breaking, Brandt's birthday expenses (races), and the Lego and Dance lessons has to be paid upfront for the term (3 months). The fencing and possible riding lessons will only have to be paid end of the month, which makes it a bit easier to manage.

5 hours ago, Lightning said:

As someone that often setup homeschool outings I would have been thrilled to have a parent tell they changed their mind instead of just not showing up. And you were on the waitlist anyway. If he wants people to give him a heads up he should learn to handle his reactions better. 

4 hours ago, TGP said:

I think we've all been there-trying to volunteer and set things up; when people say "yes" one day and have to pull out another.  I'm not exactly SURE what this guy has to DO per person/family. but complaining about it- only pushes people away. 

so hopefully your ok about the whole thing and again, hopefully, you can deal with him.

Yes, I've had my share of having to set up outings, so I understand how he felt, but a part of me felt that he was taking his frustrations out on me, and I honestly cancel beforehand if I can't attend something I've signed up for, so I was a bit miffed at first. But it doesn't bother me much now.

He basically has to give numbers through to whomever he has made arrangements with, and the biggest impact is if there are a set amount to pay (nothing in this instance). Sometimes he arranges for a discount if a large group can attend, but if fewer people go, I guess the organisation would then question whether he was honest with them about the number of families? They would basically complain because they are not getting in as much money as they thought they would, or withdraw the discounted entrance fee, but as far as I know he doesn't have to pay in any difference. And if it is a donation situation (each family give an amount they choose as donation), then a couple of us have paid in extra at times, to up the money that they got in too, so...? Also, if a picnic is arranged for afterwards, each family always have to take their own food/drinks. Nothing comes directly out of his pocket.

-------------

Anyway... just wanted to tell you guys.

• Like 5

Agreeeing with Lightning. I could see why he was frustrate if other people didn't let him know, but those are the people he should talk to. Anyway, sounds like you guys have a lot of other stuff going on, so putting the nature stuff  away for a bit sounds good. Did the boys like fencing? I think you should ask the instructor if adults are allowed. It would be super fun to try. Swords!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Agreeeing with Lightning. I could see why he was frustrate if other people didn't let him know, but those are the people he should talk to. Anyway, sounds like you guys have a lot of other stuff going on, so putting the nature stuff  away for a bit sounds good. Did the boys like fencing? I think you should ask the instructor if adults are allowed. It would be super fun to try. Swords!

Yes, life is a bit hectic, and there is so much that can be done!

In the end Adam didn't do the fencing lesson, as he has had a headache on and off through most of the day. Started off as a sinus headache (lots of fire breaks' smoke and warnings about filthy air), which morphed in a stress headache, I think? He slept for almost an hour this morning, and we skipped school work.

Anyway... As I mentioned above, Rocco totally loved the fencing. It is so him, it was amazing to watch! I did ask the lady in a message early this morning whether I could take part with the kids to try out because I'm interested too, and she said "sure, no problem", but when we got there for the lessons, she was only geared (what I could see there) for kids. She had no gear (jackets, mask, gloves) for bigger people. There were other families there too, it wasn't just us in the end. When the lesson was finished two older teenagers arrived and she said they could join the 16h00-17h00 class. So I think there was probably a bit of a misunderstanding, including me being too shy/embarrassed to ask for clothing to fit me before the first lesson.

• Like 5

Hope you get to try the fencing eventually, but however that ends up, I'm really glad Rocco found something he loves!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

I'm loving the new name Elize! Here to follow and cheer :) 

So good to hear from you here again! Thanks, I'm still getting used to the name myself :D

7 hours ago, Xena said:

Hope you get to try the fencing eventually, but however that ends up, I'm really glad Rocco found something he loves!

I think if I know the instructor a bit better, and feel more comfortable there, I'll gather my courage and try a lesson. Rocco told his Lego teacher all about fencing yesterday, showing everyone the moves. I also managed to organise riding lessons for Adam again, which the lady confirmed just before we left Lego, so he did a little happy dance on their lawn, and of course had to tell Dy from Lego all about it as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Things quickly went from starting to arrange for lessons and appointments to, done, arranged and me sitting half stunned about how quickly things went. As I mentioned above before Lego was finished the riding lady came back and said she'd arranged that from next week Thursday, Adam can do a half-hour morning lesson every Thursday (I felt so humbled that she would go out of her way to accommodate us).

I also sent out an email early morning to the police contact with regards to getting our Police Clearance Certificates and she phoned me just after we got home from Lego. Long story short, she was willing to squeeze Brandt and me in early this morning otherwise we wouldn't have been able to get an appointment to see her before she moved out of this area! She is the only one of 3 people in this province who is allowed to have PC Certificates couriered back and forth, cutting the time to get them from +-6months down to maximum 8 weeks! We saw her this morning, she filled in all the forms, we had such a mix-match of conversation topics with her while there, but now that has also been done. Just waiting time, and hoping and praying that Brandt will get a job in NZ soon.

So in summary for the first half of this week: Up to and including Wednesday...

HEALTH

• BIBLE STUDY - Quiet time by myself (and bible reading and study with the boys).
  • WATER - Going very well, actually. 2x bottles each day!
  • SLEEP - Mon. and Wed. days on time, Tuesday late. (22h00 instead of 21h30)
  • FOOD - Going well (for both Rocco and myself).

STAYING ACTIVE

Burpees Challenge Only Monday. We had to be out of the house very early this morning. Will see about doing some later today.

Walking: Wednesday - a bit of a challenge walking on the 'Lego' road as there was a huge, curious Angus bull at one end of the road, and barking, biting, and fighting dogs on the other end of the stretch I walk along, so I sort of cut the ends off and did a shorter circuit in between these two ends. Managed 3.6km at a fast pace.

Strength workout: Tuesday - done, next is tomorrow (Friday)

Things that need to get done this month - depending now on finances.

• Finances (dailies and monthlies) - Up to date, and stretching to cover everything.
  • Police clearance certificates: Filled in the applications this morning. It was sent off shortly thereafter by courier, and we should have it in our hands in +-8weeks' time.
  • Brandt Hip Exam - we'll see.

DEAR DIARY...

Brandt should be able to get his repaired bike back today. Will cost only an arm. I have to say Thank You, that our finances seem to be stretching to cover everything that needs to be covered. Things are still working out.

There's been a couple of scares around the neighbourhood again, with one lady's car being stolen out of her property early morning yesterday, and a couple of attempted house break-ins, as usual.

I'm planning some garden changes, which Eric already started on, on Monday. Will see how much I get done by myself over the weekend.

• Like 4

On 7/9/2019 at 1:13 PM, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

Rocco was totally absorbed and concentrating like I haven't seen him in a long, long time. This is absolutely the right thing for him! He even showed Brandt the positions and movements when he got home.

That is AWESOME!  It's so rewarding when we get to see that spark in our children. :love_heart:  Maybe next time you will get to try it out too.  

11 hours ago, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

a bit of a challenge walking on the 'Lego' road as there was a huge, curious Angus bull at one end of the road, and barking, biting, and fighting dogs on the other end of the stretch I walk along, so I sort of cut the ends off and did a shorter circuit in between these two ends. Managed 3.6km at a fast pace.

That may be the most impressive 3.6kms I've ever heard of!  And 3.6km is nice long walk so it sounds like you did great.

• Like 3

You've gotten so much done in the past few weeks! Fantastic that you've gotten the horseback riding sorted out!

• Like 1

On 7/11/2019 at 9:47 PM, Lightning said:

That may be the most impressive 3.6kms I've ever heard of!  And 3.6km is nice long walk so it sounds like you did great.

I'm always vigilant when I walk here, but this was a new level of having to be observant about your surroundings :D. There is no way I could outrun either a bull or dogs spoiling for a fight. Made for an interesting time.

On 7/12/2019 at 1:57 AM, Xena said:

You've gotten so much done in the past few weeks! Fantastic that you've gotten the horseback riding sorted out!

Thanks. Doesn't feel like that much, except that it happened very fast compared to the normal Africa-Time, but I'm glad for everything sorted.

-----------------------------------

Not much happened. Did do some exercises late Friday. Sat with sinus and post nasal drip (Adam too) due to a lot of smoke in the air, and eventually didn't do much. Didn't go out either. Brandt left early this morning for his race and I slept in late. Quickly went to town and on the way back collected the venison sausage I'd ordered a couple weeks ago. No gluten fillings, just meat.

All in all a nice relaxing time. I've come to realise that I really need a lot of off time to be able to handle stress and the everyday hiccups. And I'm finally not feeling guilty when I take time off.

No gardening either.

• Like 4